Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

Wodan

Feb 8, 2010
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Borderlands

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Borderlands.

Be sure to join the Zero Punctuation Facebook Fan Page [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zero-Punctuation/7546255825].

Watch Video
Loved the usual Yahtzee greatness! Great video. However I will respectfully disagree with your take on the game. Can't wait for Mass effect 2 review though! He is going to rip planet scanning a new one!

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
While I can't approve of complaining about problems that aren't there (like the lack of upgrades in Valkyria Chronicles) , or just plain stupid (like comparing Demon's Souls to IWBTG) I don't see why people object to nit-picking. As small as a flaw may be it's still a flaw. Wouldn't you prefer to have them fixed? Criticism can be constructive and harsh at the same time. If you have some self-distance then you shouldn't be excusing flaws in it, you should be looking for them and posting about them on the developer forums so they can easier decide what can be improved.

Jamesigh

Jan 29, 2010
Sethstorm said:
ok
Jamesigh said:
Yahtzee, try not review Final Fantasy XIII until AFTER I've completed it......
he doesnt even like JRPG's i dont think a review of FFXIII is ever gonna hit here im sure the skies will fall and rivers run red with blood first lol
i reckon he will review it. it will be his first opportunity to critically mutilate a Final Fantasy game. and he has reviewed a couple JRPGs before.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Jamesigh said:
Sethstorm said:
ok
Jamesigh said:
he doesnt even like JRPG's i dont think a review of FFXIII is ever gonna hit here im sure the skies will fall and rivers run red with blood first lol
i reckon he will review it. it will be his first opportunity to critically mutilate a Final Fantasy game. and he has reviewed a couple JRPGs before.
I don't know about that. Yahtzee doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will review something just for the sake of bashing it. Maybe the editors at the Escapist will force him to, but I doubt it'll be completely by choice that he'll want to review it. I don't think movie critics go out trying to find movies they won't like to review. Don't forget they still have to invest all the time watching/playing the thing first.

Saarai-fan

Nov 12, 2009
Seeing this review makes me wonder what Yahtzee would think of the PC game of Fallen Earth, which is similar to Borderlands in that it blends first person shooter and rpg gameplay. In my opinion, Fallen Earth is the better game in it's story, where as Borderlands seems to be about killing Jason Voorhees.

And yes, I joined the Zero Puncutation Facebook Fan Page. Looks good.

Jamesigh said:
I agree with that. Sooner or later he'll probably review a Final Fantasy game, and tell us his thoughts on the franchise. What he doesn't like about it, what he finds alright about it, and more importantly what annoys him the most about it. But none the less, regardless of what he says, I have XIII reserved to buy at my local video game store, and I hope it will be at least better than XII was.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I'm also really p.o.'d at the recent of abundance of games that are "only good online." If I wanted to interact with people, I'd go outside, maybe play some tennis or hockey. I might actually have fun. Video games have advanced beyond the inconvenience of having to find someone to play it with. That's why they were invented. What was the first major advancement of pong? Being able to play it at home by yourself. It's like saying masturbation's only enjoyable if you do it with a group of buddies. The second you introduce more people into the fold, it's no longer masturbation, just sex.

Likewise, online play is really swayed by the fact that you play with people you like. I swear I've read reviews that said Borderlands is much more fun with 3 friends who know what they're doing. Well yeah, everything is more fun with people you like. School, work, root canal, driving, sleeping, eating, going to the movies... doesn't make it any better in of itself just because you personally had a good time.

"You know, I really dug New Moon."
"Really, that movie was crap!"
"Yeah, well you didn't see it at the midnight release with dozens of screaming fans and then get laid afterwards by six different women because you were the only eligible male present."
"Oh, I guess I'll have to watch it again some time."

Jamesigh

Jan 29, 2010
yourbeliefs said:
Jamesigh said:
Sethstorm said:
ok
Jamesigh said:
I don't know about that. Yahtzee doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will review something just for the sake of bashing it. Maybe the editors at the Escapist will force him to, but I doubt it'll be completely by choice that he'll want to review it. I don't think movie critics go out trying to find movies they won't like to review. Don't forget they still have to invest all the time watching/playing the thing first.
i suppose you're right. although i think the chance to destroy something he has long claimed to detest would provide at least SOME incentive to play it.

AllTeam

Feb 11, 2009
I understand the comments towards other games but leave Bruce Willis out of this :)

Hudson Hawk is an enjoyable movie :)

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
So, what you're saying is: Fallout 3 it is not. I'll have to rent it and see for myself on this one.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Loved this review, and I loved the game. But Yahtzee is right, creating a game solely for multiplayer fun is a little vexing for those of us who don't want to subject ourselves to being corpse humped/called a pussy by twelve year old boys. And the menu system was awful. Spot on review.

I kind of hope he doesn't do FF actually. What can be said about the series that hasn't already been said before. I like FF games, it's a nostalgic thing I think, but they kind of specialize in doing the same game with a new hairdo every few years.

Shydrow

Feb 8, 2010
Don't think Borderlands had enough to it to really have him review it. Im not saying its not a fun game to play with buddies but since he played it as a single player it feels like a wasted week wait

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
NickCooely said:
There. I re-wrote your post so you don't come off as a pretentious fanboy that perceives his, and only his, opinions as facts. Thank me later.
I didn't though, I addressed that it's is opinion, reread my original post. I am a human being therefore I have an opinion, why is that such a bad thing these days?

How does it make me pretentious though?
No I won't thank you, you just come off as rude
Well the first four words easily led me to that conclusion. "Complete and utter bull" Whcih them led me to think that you find opinions that differ to your own as bullshit. It's not a hard train of thought to follow.

And I'm not saying having an opinion is bad. Quite the contrary, it was your post that made out that you thought differing opinions are bad. Perhaps that wasn't your intention, but thats how it turned out unfortunatly.

Instead of flaming you as the more immature members or disturbed Yahtzee fanboys would have I decided to instead re-write your post in a more appealing manner.

And yeah, I did come off rude. Kinda what I was aiming for.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
Im wondering how he is going to tear down over 80 hours (well....for me) of content into one 5 minute review. gonna be tough for him to do ME2 aint it?

But as well as a lot of other people, im in shock that you did this, I was think AOT: 40th day or Dantes inferno, or MAG. Wait no not MAG cause from what I hear it is all multiplayer, meaning probably most people in the game will have mics, meaning Yahtzee will just call it shit on the spot.

But great review. I felt the same with you on borderlands. Better with Co-op, but a game is barely a videogame if it can't hold up on it's own with Single player.