Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

WaffleGod

Oct 22, 2008
Anger + yahtzee = epic Zero Punctuation review :).

I have actually borrowed this game from my buddy. Still have it, and it's pretty much what Yahtzee described. The game is repetetive. Do this, gain xp, find a new gun, bla bla bla. They should've called this "Grindland: the quest for slightly less crappy gear".

blacklab

May 21, 2009
Wow, I really liked this one, but I can understand most of his complaints. The most off-putting thing for me was the wonky enemy AI, which he never mentioned.

TheJwalkR

May 20, 2009
Funny review as always. Although I like the game all of his points are valid and it was entertaining to watch.

Tweekus

Dec 10, 2009
For all the time he had to save up ire and bile, seems like an incomplete trouncing. For one, he didn't make mention of how shallow the weapon generating system or what the fuck it's called is. This is something that was supposed to be the game's selling point, yet somehow all we get is a load of what amount to pretty much just guns from any other shooter, just with small variances in how the numbers crunch out between trigger pull and bang bang splorch. You get elemental damage, cool. Some guns shoot the wrong kind of bullets, but there seem to only be two types of difference there (holy crap! It shoots rockets! and any time where a gun shoots a bunch of pellets with each shot), and yet all instances of that gun and ammo type will ALL BE THE SAME apart from changes due to position on the level curve or what have you.

Zorvox

Aug 30, 2009
i was a bit thrown off on this one, i thought he was going to review something else (not going into specifics). i bought this game when it came out and it's very entertaining for a little while, but once you think you beat the game, it says "oh, hey, now you can play the game all over again except with slightly tougher baddies" and i found that ridiculous. playing a game twice just to get the full effect is not my idea of a good time. plus, the splitscreen co-op is great, but in online co-op, everybody just charges ahead, wiping out everything and taking all the good stuff before you can even figure out what's going on.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I was hoping for Mass Effect 2 to see what his take on the best game ever is, but Borderlands is a nice surprise (I literally said "holy crap he actually reviewed Borderlands").

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
Talcon said:
He's a fanboy because he's trying to debunk my totally legitimate criticism of the game, taking it personally, telling me it's my fault for not liking the game. Like what Yahtzee, you're convinced I misinterpreted my OWN opinion.
||||\ <- I bet this bugs you too

It doesn't take a fanboy to point out that it's not the game's problem when you have some personal compulsion to do things that ruin the "flow" like agonizing over a new gun's stats instead of dealing with the munchkins stabbing you in the leg with used needles. Anyone else would toss the gun in their backpack and worry about it later. Same as you don't *have* to do a lot of those fetch quests, but people tend to be completists and don't like leaving stones unturned.

I don't care if you like the game or not, but the excuse you're using is downright embarassing especially considering all of the stuff in the game that sucks and can't be fixed with a good habit or two... like what a load of BS character-level mismatches are, it's especially unforgivable in an online multiplayer game. The random weapon system could stand to be a lot more random too.

Evis T

Sep 9, 2008
Borderlands was a crock of shit. Like Yahtzee I don't play games with people I don't know, and even if I did the same endless grind does not make for a good game. Also, if multiplayer is so f###ing important to borderlands, would someone tell me why the multiplayer system on the PC release didn't work when the game was released? It wasn't just buggy- it was broken. I spent 45 minutes trying to work out how to make it work so I could play with a few friends, and after rebooting the router 4 times, opening almost every NAT port concievable and even calling my ISP, it STILL didn't work.

Honestly, if I hadn't bought it off steam I would have demanded a refund.

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
I loved the guns- nigel's reticulated bangpipe, churlish deathtube and niggling buggerpipe :D quality

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Meh. I liked BorderLands. But I can't really argue against him as the majority of his complaints are totally valid. The car does suck and the compare thing is an arse and Yahtzee doesn't enjoy the MMORPG setup. Which is totally fair.

Still I liked it though.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I did enjoy the game at first...when playing with friends and junk
but after a while...idk I just can't play it anymore (even with friends)

lozfoe444

Aug 26, 2009
The only reason I'd want you to review Final Fantasy XIII is because I know that you'd bash it so much, the developers turn black and blue.

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
Locke89 said:
Also this is really the first game that nailed FPS/RPG.
*Ahem*...Fallout 3?

But I agree with Yahtzee, the fact that I run out of ammunition for all my guns after taking on 3 enemies and shooting them in the face for 3 minutes a piece is utterly retarded.
Not my type of game at all.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
I played the game a bit, like 30 minutes, was bored to death the whole time. Its just boring, slow, and uninteresting.