Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

Joseph Murnan

Feb 15, 2010
blinkybilll said:
wow this reveiw was shit yahtzee has lost his talent, he used to be funny now hes just lame pretty much everything he said about this game wasnt even true, time to get a real job yahtzee :)
Opinion = A personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty.

Fact = A piece of information about circumstances that exist or events that have occurred.

Justin Harris

Mar 24, 2010
Gameslayer_93 said:
Hobo Joe said:
Very funny video; while I agree with all the complaints he made they never stopped Borderlands from being fun for me.
ye same here, the story was irrelevant and the game repetitive but it was a fun game, however it was basically just trying to merge fallout and CoD and failing
Hum... This game seemed more like the bastard child of Fallout 3 and Halo to me. Aliens, cartoony weapons and vehicles. The vault and an apparent post apocalyptic land scape. And leave us not forget the bobble heads, though those were only worth money.

Ninjahedge

Jan 30, 2008
Plain and simple, the game played well on a PC, with a good connection, with PEOPLE YOU KNEW ONLINE.

The matchmaking sucked.
The menus sucked.
The inventory sucked.

Once you had 1 or 2 peeps you knew playing it became a lot more fun, in a mindless Serious Sam kind of way. (I tried single player... meh).

Ben, Seriously, you need to befriend a few losers to play some of these things with you. You will still have plenty to make fun of, but maybe you will have a bit more fun while gathering your ammunition. ;)

Thomas Turner

Mar 19, 2010
You so fucking nailed it man, every annoying aspect.

All it really fucking is, is a game where you killed Jason Vorhees three thousand times over in 3 different sizes.

It is really a shame in the lack of diverse models, the developers are proud over the fact that there are over 500,00 guns in the game, but all the character models they had were: three sizes of angry human, two types of skags (bitey and shooty), space lobsters, and insectoids.

I usually think you over simplify or miss aspects of other games I have played, but you fucking nailed this one.

gtakingii

Jan 10, 2010
listen if you got to whine about what he sez about a game you asked him to review then you must be as yahtzee put it slapted acroos the "t*ts" listen i may not agree with what he sez about a game but its his right to say what he thinks of it

runningfatman

Dec 5, 2008
Man if you actually played through all of the game you would realize that about halfway through you don't fight bandits as much anymore but giant blue aliens and armored space troops(ya i know it isn't even close to original in fact it reminded me of the enclave from fallout3 but at least its not Jason again) and ya the story sucked and i understand his complaints because it was shit and boring but the menu is a very petty complaint because the menu was simple as long as you don't have 4 nails somewhere in your head you whiny bastard

But I digress I still find Yahtzee hilarious and will still watch his reviews and I understand him thrashing a game after people ***** about it and this was still funny I just felt I should let my opinion be know :)

Nay-Owe-Me

Jul 9, 2010
I have to say I agree 100% on the online co-op thing, in a general sense anyway. I remember purchasing Resident Evil Outbreak quite some time after it had come out, only to find that most other people playing it were apparently only interested in doing speed runs of the levels they'd already memorized. I honestly thought I was maybe the only person in the world who found this trend to be quite disappointing and annoying.

NermanQ

Aug 11, 2010
I agree that the plot is really pale. Half the time I played (with a friend who was level 56 when I started), I din't know what the hell was going on or why I had to do these things.

bpk428

Jan 23, 2011
This game would have been epic if it weren't so damn shallow. The story sucks, and so do most of the NPCs. (But Scooter and TK are awesome.) But I thought that the game play made up for it. It's so satisfying to blow off a psychotic midget's head with a revolver, and watch the blood spew from its neck as it falls to the ground. Just never gets old. On the other hand, it's pretty annoying when the Crimson Lance rush your hiding place while you're trying to let your shield recharge, and then run away and leave you with nothing to shoot to get a second wind. And the boss battles are simply not fair. At all. In multiplayer, a friend can revive you if there's nothing for you to shoot to give you your second wind, and that can make the bosses more enjoyable, but that's its only redeeming quality. My experience was that almost every game I joined would have at least one person with both a modded shield with about 20 trillion capacity (Rose Omega), and a modded gun that did 200 bazillion damage who would relentlessly challenge me to a duel so that he could win unfairly. The worst occurrences happened when I joined parties where this scumbag was the host, so he'd kick me when I refused to fight him.

I don't blame Yahtzee for hating the multiplayer on this one. It only works with friends, not randoms, and Yahtzee even said himself that he doesn't have that many friends. And I don't blame him for how much he hated how shallow it is. So why do I love this game? Probably because I can't stand regular, hack-and-slash RPGs, so the shallowness didn't really bother me. Maybe I'm just fascinated by the concept of an RPS Hybrid. Or maybe I was fascinated by the types, powers, and special abilities of the guns. (It's pretty apparent from the review that Yahtzee never found any Legendary guns.) Maybe I'm just really simple for liking this one for little more than its immensely satisfying death animations, and usually-fun combat. Even the staggering amount of side-missions didn't bother me because I realized very quickly that I wasn't interested in the story, so who cares if the mission doesn't advance it? Besides, story missions mean boss battles, and boss battles mean frustration.

My only complaints about this one (in terms of single-player only) are that I wanted to be able to build my own gun, and customize guns that I found. Vehicles should have had unlimited boosts (More prevalent in the Secret Armory DLC), the story sucks, and boss battles weren't fair, and therefore, weren't any fun. In terms of multiplayer, my complaints are that people who use modded equipment should go *insert wannabe Yahtzee analogy here* themselves, and lag can be atrocious.

By the way, Yahtzee, when it said "Connection to the host was lost" it doesn't mean that your connection died, it means that the host decided to quit.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
I don't usually 100% agree with Yahtzee, but I did with this. I played the game in single player because my internet was too slow and it was so boring. No story, every battle is the same, yes some people might say unique graphics but I just found them annoying. there is really nothing amazing about this game (and yes I did finnish it).

John Gray

Feb 23, 2011
This game is essentially an utter waste of time, but somehow I just can't stop playing it. I haven't finished it yet of course, so maybe it's just the anticipation of something cool that might, just might happen sometime in the future. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, largely because people are assholes, but I think it could be cool.

I liked the huge, gaping hole you tore through the guts of this one anyway. It was pretty accurate.

Specula

Jan 6, 2011
You know, normally I take things Ben says with a grain or ten of salt but now that I've just finished this game for the first time, I think he's not accurate at all. He didn't go on about how much a pile of shit this game was, and god dammit, Claptrap acts like the robotic version of Jar Jar Binks... They all need to be shot, or just gathered together in one spot, all of them from across Pandora and then have that bullshit Hyperion II satellite come crashing down right on top of them.

Ugh, fuck this game... 4/10 at best...