Zero Punctuation: Broken Age

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Coffee Cream chocolate lovers of the world unite!
(For we have all the answers :])

OT, give a dog a bone and he'll eat for a week
give funds on kickstart and .... where's this simile going?

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
I have barely played a few minutes of the game.... And yet I'm in love with the art style, presentation, music and general feeling.

I agree that it might not be groundbreaking as far as adventure games (or games in general) go, but it is still a damn good game (experience if you prefer).

Although I'd rather not have had it in two parts.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Broken Age

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Broken Age.

Watch Video
I gotta say, and I dont say this lightly. You're sort of the gaming worlds Terry Pratchett. Your colorful language and comparisons never cease to entertain me, and thats one of the reasons I am so in love with Terry Pratchetts work as well.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
PunkRex said:
Hey DoubleFine, why you no make platformers? I get that adventure games are the stuff all those stuffy gits demand you make but i'm a 90's man raised on platformers, original ideas of which are becoming all to sparse these days.
Psychonauts is a platformer, actually.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
major_chaos said:
Anyone else find it funny that a site that has (admittedly legitimate) complaints about companies screwing over legitimate users with horrible DRM is now screwing over legitimate users with what is more or less really shitty DRM?
It's a redirect that happens rather then a 404 when it can't load the video.

There was a typo that set an expiry to a negative number rather then several hours (a typo I didn't notice while tracking down another issue), I am sorry if anything has been unduly stretched by unwanted screwing. :(

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
BX3 said:
Escapist what are you doing? This was an interesting episode and your screw ups ruined what could've been an insightful discussion (or at least delayed it)
Ugh, insightful discussion [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMLphi7HQU]. Like the kind without flashing colors?

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
As someone who never got the problem anyone else seems to be having - nice episode Yahtzee, one of your better ones in a while.

I bought the game (not backed though. Shame, I'm a sucker for appearing in game credits), and gotta say, while it is funny, witty and interesting (for me at least), and the art style is amazing, I just cannot believe this game cost as much as it did, and it took that long to make it. Sure, the music made by Melbourne Symphony Orchestra probably wasn't cheap, neither was Elijah Wood or Jack Black voice appearance in it, but damn it, for a game this short (okay, it's the act 1, but that only raises more questions about the time to produce it), and without the need to completely and truthfully animate human and environment models in full 3D, how could it even reach the levels of that much cash investment? This is mind boggling. I always thought, the games cost so much this days, because of technology, but I don't SEE some kind of superior technology that would justify the cost on this one, after seeing the final result.

Okay, okay, it might seem like I'm ranting here (and I kinda am), but the game is still good, and if you're looking for a good time with an adventure game, then... Buy it, because it's fun, charming and witty... But only after they'll release the second act, because DEM CLIFFHANGERS! Seriously, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us (main offender so far) and Cognition gave me enough of a headache with this episodic BS. Can we just stop saying that "it's a thing" and finally start making full games for once?

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Yossarian1507 said:
As someone who never got the problem anyone else seems to be having - nice episode Yahtzee, one of your better ones in a while.

I bought the game (not backed though. Shame, I'm a sucker for appearing in game credits), and gotta say, while it is funny, witty and interesting (for me at least), and the art style is amazing, I just cannot believe this game cost as much as it did, and it took that long to make it. Sure, the music made by Melbourne Symphony Orchestra probably wasn't cheap, neither was Elijah Wood or Jack Black voice appearance in it, but damn it, for a game this short (okay, it's the act 1, but that only raises more questions about the time to produce it), and without the need to completely and truthfully animate human and environment models in full 3D, how could it even reach the levels of that much cash investment? This is mind boggling. I always thought, the games cost so much this days, because of technology, but I don't SEE some kind of superior technology that would justify the cost on this one, after seeing the final result.

Okay, okay, it might seem like I'm ranting here (and I kinda am), but the game is still good, and if you're looking for a good time with an adventure game, then... Buy it, because it's fun, charming and witty... But only after they'll release the second act, because DEM CLIFFHANGERS! Seriously, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us (main offender so far) and Cognition gave me enough of a headache with this episodic BS. Can we just stop saying that "it's a thing" and finally start making full games for once?
If I remember right, they made the graphics engine from scratch, which is the quickest way to have costs go to the sky, so a big part of that I'd blame it on that. But yeah, I can believe it being that expensive, and I still firmly believe that even with all the positive press, it's going to be a financial failure.

The positive out of this is that they at least now have the engine done, so developing another similar one should go a lot faster and be a lot cheaper.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Oskuro said:
I have barely played a few minutes of the game.... And yet I'm in love with the art style, presentation, music and general feeling.

I agree that it might not be groundbreaking as far as adventure games (or games in general) go, but it is still a damn good game (experience if you prefer).

Although I'd rather not have had it in two parts.
Yeah, while Broken Age may not fill me with Psychonauts levels of adoration, I quite enjoyed it. It's been years since Schafer's been able to release a charming (yet mildly dark) story experience like this, and the way publishers are today it wouldn't be possible without crowd-funding. So I find it hard to hate on the process too much.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
BX3 said:
Goes to escapist
Sees new episode of ZP is up
Watches episode
goes to the comment section to see people's thoughts on him trashing Kickstarter.
Comments are instead filled with complaints of site errors.

Escapist what are you doing? This was an interesting episode and your screw ups ruined what could've been an insightful discussion (or at least delayed it)
His feelings regarding kickstarter are rather in line with his past stances, in particular game pre-orders. Both involve giving money to developers in advance with the promise of an awesome experience at a later date, with all the benefits and drawbacks that such a system provides. Crowdfunding is a blessing for fans of niche games and genres that would never be funded otherwise, but there's potential for bad there,too.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Easy, folks...easy....

We all know how such technical problems should be addressed...

BLAME KROSS!!!

Kross said:
I AM KROSS! I AM NIGH ALMIGHTY---[small]---except when the Network hamsters go on strike---[/small](

[small]...oooohhhh....so that's what happened to the hamsters....[/small]

Zachary Amaranth said:
Copper Zen said:
[small]...I'm having a Twin Peaks kind of day...[/small]
I thought the owls seemed rather strange today....
As long as "Bob" doesn't serve us any coffee...I'm guessing we'll be alright. <_<

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Yossarian1507 said:

Here we go again with people being pretentious budget analysts. You don't know anything about how much a game could cost and nor do I. Broken Age's engine is completely new, and it's actually 3D. Compare Broken Age to the most beautiful adventure games. Now if you're a fan, you know that's Daedalic games. Their games cost around $500,000. Now also you should know, living costs and other factors are different from Germany versus San Francisco. People were outraged a single character in Skullgirls cost $150,000 and I thought people had learned from that that they don't know shit all about game development [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516730]. So you can stop your mind boggling, and get informed but you, much like I, still won't know the whole picture because you aren't as intimate with the day to day struggles. Or you know, watch the Double Fine documentary if you get a chance.

Episodic adventure games are working, because they work on a story anticipation level like a tv show where you care about the characters and what will happen with the world. Since these games have smaller budgets, they are able to see whether enough people are interested in the game to develop the next episode. With all the between time of episodes, you get to savour and since adventure games are about story and characters, you can see what's memorable. Personally, really excited for the next episodes of Kentucky Route Zero and The Dream Machine.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Moeez said:
Personally, really excited for the next episodes of Kentucky Route Zero and The Dream Machine.
Same here. Anyone know when those are expected? Dream machine I understand why it's taking to so long but KRZ should be due any day now. The fact KRZ doesn't really have any puzzles makes the wait somewhat strange.

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
Review seems bit premature since this was only part one and since it's largely story based it's like reviewing the first 1/2 of a book. Also it's a point-and-click adventure game not a puzzle game, most people don't enjoy wandering around aimlessly for hours trying to figure out what random object they need.

Also, I didn't actually buy or play the game, just watched a LP of it on youtube ^^

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
I kinda agree with Yahtzee that backing anything on Kickstarter is a huge risk. But the game isn't made for him (or me), it's made for the backers. If they are happy with the quality of the game, then it's a success. Because they got the game that they wanted. I remember watching a Tim Schafer interview, he said that he's not worrying too much about the game's wider appeal, his first goal is to make a game that the backers wanted. So in that sense, he succeeded.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
The two game halves are actually really well connected. When I sat down and thought about them, the parallels made perfect sense. The broken age is actually quite good. Short, but somehow still worth it. The girl's story does have some problems, but it is still mostly good. What's more, the "deus ex machina" serves the plot in more ways than just giving you a weapon, it has underlying plot implications. I recommend the Broken Age, it is actually quite good, but keep in mind you are paying 20 dollars for like 3-4 hours worth of game, a lot of which is story. That isn't actually bad- we pay like 20 dollars for a brand new movie that lasts an hour and a half- but it might put some people off.