Zero Punctuation: Broken Age

keitarobg

Jan 19, 2009
Grenge Di Origin said:
erbkaiser said:
Pub Club members: change to HTML5 for the actual video, not the ad.
Among all the fucking Hearthstone ads I've come across today, this is the worst, most shameless advertisement I've seen today.

Impressive work, erbkaiser.

Captcha: NO HASSLES (capital one ad) And the irony keeps on layering.
keitarobg said:
that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide that looks like it would make such a sweet water slide
You win the Grenge di Origin's Post of the Day Award.
hahah, well, apparently the Escapist doesn't get my *puts sunglasses on* "refreshing" humor. yeah! I got warned for this post. Not that I care it's just that some website might be experiencing discomfort in certain areas of the body located on the opposite side of the face right below the waist.

lickilax

Jun 18, 2013
Thoralata said:
PunkRex said:
I'd rather eat two Octopi taped together than a bloody kebab...

Hey DoubleFine, why you no make platformers? I get that adventure games are the stuff all those stuffy gits demand you make but i'm a 90's man raised on platformers, original ideas of which are becoming all to sparse these days.
Sparse? We're tripping over platformers these days!
That was the joke.

I hope it was the joke.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
I'd love to see Yahtzee put his money where his mouth is about nostalgia and experiment with what happens to your fanbase if you break long-established tradition. Let's see 7 or 8 negative images at the end instead of 5. Let's have the background be fec900 instead of fede00. Do another production of the theme song with slightly crisper recording.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Kross said:
BX3 said:
Escapist what are you doing? This was an interesting episode and your screw ups ruined what could've been an insightful discussion (or at least delayed it)
Ugh, insightful discussion [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMLphi7HQU]. Like the kind without flashing colors?
Don't fight it, sir. Fighting it only makes it stronger. Sort've like Lovecraftian horror... but with even bigger words!

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
BX3 said:
Goes to escapist
Sees new episode of ZP is up
Watches episode
goes to the comment section to see people's thoughts on him trashing Kickstarter.
Comments are instead filled with complaints of site errors.

Escapist what are you doing? This was an interesting episode and your screw ups ruined what could've been an insightful discussion (or at least delayed it)
Haha my sentiments exactly. I was hoping to see people discussing the review and/or game. Instead, they're talking about issues regarding the site.

Video worked fine for me; then again, I did watch it at, like, 2:30 AM. They probably had the issues ironed out by then.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Don Reba said:
PunkRex said:
Hey DoubleFine, why you no make platformers? I get that adventure games are the stuff all those stuffy gits demand you make but i'm a 90's man raised on platformers, original ideas of which are becoming all to sparse these days.
Psychonauts is a platformer, actually.
T-that's why I asked...

lickilax said:
Thoralata said:
PunkRex said:
I'd rather eat two Octopi taped together than a bloody kebab...

Sparse? We're tripping over platformers these days!
That was the joke.

I hope it was the joke.
I'm talking old school collectathons, hub worlds and the sort, the last one I played was Rayman Legends. I know theres some interesting little nuggets in the indie scene but they all seem more like narrative driven affairs, not that I hate such buisness, and I dont really play Mario games. I just miss my Spyros, Tais and Psychonauts is all.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
randomthefox said:
Broken Age was kinda doomed and automatically going to succeed no matter what, since they were given 6 million dollars to fucking make it. So now even if everyone hated it, they still made their money, but at the same time people are going to look at this game and go "it cost 6 million to make THIS!?" and it's not going to live up to their expectations and be penalized for it.

I like this game more for what it started, popularizing the idea of Kickstarter and bringing up dozens of good games via that crowdfunding system since, more than itself as an actual game.Me? I'd rather donate to just have them release Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle on Steam already. Lucas Arts is dead, what the fuck is stopping them?
First of all, they didn't get 6 million, they got 3.3 million. Secondly, though I do agree the game was much easier than Day of Tentacle or Full Throttle, teh game is beautiful and much more smooth than the old adventure games. I think that for the first solely adventure game double fine ever made it's fantastic. But this things get better over time, I can drastically see the difference between the first Monkey Island and Sam & Max Hit the Road or Grim Fandango. As a matter of fact, Grim did not had verbs anymore.

I do think act I could be longer, but loved it and can't wait for act II.

Dalabu

Apr 19, 2008
When will you do a video about League Of Legends?
There are severs in Australia now. Or DOTA2 or maybe both?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Wonderful images on hand today, especially the adorable Octopi tied together and Yahtzee's rolling eyes.

So Tim Schafer still has yet to top Pyschonauts since it's came out, darn.

Oh and I just caught on, all hail the return of the Triple C****d H****r.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Think about it ks and greenlight is many game genras are left out in the cold as being too niche, games major publishers would never fund, have a shot, yes the whole scene is out of control and really needs more disclosure and accountability.

Its not a perfect system, but its better than leaving all in the hands of stock boards what games do and dont get made.

gjkbgt

May 5, 2013
to be fair, Jam has the same problems with story.
problem, there's carnivores jam/Cathooloo in the city.
solution, No idea.

I know the point of Jam was about situations where no one knows what they're doing.
But so is broken.

Bit of a case of pot calling the kettle black there

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Dalabu said:
When will you do a video about League Of Legends?
There are severs in Australia now. Or DOTA2 or maybe both?
Almost certainly never. He reviews multiplayer games very rarely.

bennbenn

Apr 3, 2009
Registered just to give kudos to the final gag in the video. Best ending to a Yahtzee video in my memory.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I agree that the puzzles were waaaaay to easy (considering that the people who backed the game are adventure game veterans) but after watching the latest documentary episode it seems that Tim Schafer understands this...

Most of the complaints he is hearing is that the puzzles were too easy and so he will make them a lot more difficult in act II (hopefully) so splitting it up kinda works then. I never got round to finishing Grim Fandango (the game is just too old to work well on my PC) but I have finished Monkey Island 1-4, Full Throttle, The Dig, Myst and plenty of other adventure games of yore.

To sum Broken Age - Act I up...good characters, story is interesting enough to keep me engaged, puzzles are way to easy, will wait for Act II to make up my mind on whether it was worth the $15 I spent to back it...

Michal Gross

Jan 31, 2014
Please please do a ZP review of Rayman Legends!
I for one think that game is great and wonder how high/low are my videogame standards. :)

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
RelexCryo said:
The two game halves are actually really well connected. When I sat down and thought about them, the parallels made perfect sense. The broken age is actually quite good. Short, but somehow still worth it. The girl's story does have some problems, but it is still mostly good. What's more, the "deus ex machina" serves the plot in more ways than just giving you a weapon, it has underlying plot implications. I recommend the Broken Age, it is actually quite good, but keep in mind you are paying 20 dollars for like 3-4 hours worth of game, a lot of which is story. That isn't actually bad- we pay like 20 dollars for a brand new movie that lasts an hour and a half- but it might put some people off.
Since you've finished it, I have an only mildly spoileriffic question: Who do you think the wolf is?

I'm thinking it's either his father or another knitted buddy meant to function as a second layer of the "games." I'm still surprised no one is talking about the Unfortunate Implications of how the stories fit together.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Schadrach said:
RelexCryo said:
The two game halves are actually really well connected. When I sat down and thought about them, the parallels made perfect sense. The broken age is actually quite good. Short, but somehow still worth it. The girl's story does have some problems, but it is still mostly good. What's more, the "deus ex machina" serves the plot in more ways than just giving you a weapon, it has underlying plot implications. I recommend the Broken Age, it is actually quite good, but keep in mind you are paying 20 dollars for like 3-4 hours worth of game, a lot of which is story. That isn't actually bad- we pay like 20 dollars for a brand new movie that lasts an hour and a half- but it might put some people off.
Since you've finished it, I have an only mildly spoileriffic question: Who do you think the wolf is?

I'm thinking it's either his father or another knitted buddy meant to function as a second layer of the "games." I'm still surprised no one is talking about the Unfortunate Implications of how the stories fit together.
I assumed the same as you- his father or another knitted buddy. I think he told Shay that only he could pick the fluffy animals with the grabber on the grounds that Shay is technically supposed to pick his wife or harem or whatever. But if so they are not obeying the spirit of the concept, because Shay can't actually see the girls, and doesn't really understand the impact of the choices he is making. Another question is: why go to such absurd extremes to get a guy a girlfriend? And why does this go back 300 years?

Mar 9, 2012
RelexCryo said:
I assumed the same as you- his father or another knitted buddy. I think he told Shay that only he could pick the fluffy animals with the grabber on the grounds that Shay is technically supposed to pick his wife or harem or whatever. But if so they are not obeying the spirit of the concept, because Shay can't actually see the girls, and doesn't really understand the impact of the choices he is making. Another question is: why go to such absurd extremes to get a guy a girlfriend? And why does this go back 300 years?
Judging from what "Mom" and "Dad" says, both the captain and at least one of the sacrifice maidens are at some point turned into a couple of new Mom and Dad AIs, so maybe is that the whole set-up is actually a very complicated and unethical experiment in brain uploading and/or gaining immortality. But, yeah, that still leaves some unanswered questions as to why the system needs a captain to unknowingly pick the sacrifices.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Moeez said:
Personally, really excited for the next episodes of Kentucky Route Zero and The Dream Machine.
Same here. Anyone know when those are expected? Dream machine I understand why it's taking to so long but KRZ should be due any day now. The fact KRZ doesn't really have any puzzles makes the wait somewhat strange.
You should follow KRZ [https://twitter.com/cardboardcompy]'s and The Dream Machine [https://twitter.com/theDreamGame/status/406533115524296704]'s twitter, they gave out hints Episode 2 of KRZ was coming and it did in a week or so.