Zero Punctuation: Bulletstorm

PrinzMegahertz

Apr 1, 2010
I completely agree with the review. This game seems to be tuned down for no apparent benefit or reason. Painkiller was all about fighting huge armies of mad enemies with awesome weapons in wildly detailed settings that were not constrained by any story. Bulletstorm is about fighting not so huge armies of not so mad enemies with less awesome weapons in a postapocalyptic and mandatory very brownish world.

There are some moments where Bulletstorm proves it's heritage. Some of the levels cramped into this game are awesome (especially the part inside the miniature city). But these pieces of awesome are rare. Bulletstorm also suffers from the FF13 "it get's better after x hours".

However: I really liked the story. Not because of it's uniqueness, but because of the over the immature top dialoges and the evil general. I think no video game forced you to accompany such an evil bastard.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
uhhh, wasnt this the type of game he usually rants on about as being, you know, good?

everything (but the chest high walls) seem to be his style, for the most part its quite good with intensity (provided you play along, no one says you need to use the chest high walls, they are there for the hairier moments), the characters are all a bunch of 8 yr olds mentally (as they would be in real life), the dialog is over the top and there's no one way to do anything but it is still a linear game (which he has already admitting to tolerating).

everybody already knows that the games made with epic's engine are going to most likely be utilizing chest high walls, as that is the way it was designed and it takes a lot of effort to change that while using this engine.

you knew what you were going into, its on the box, can you please stop harping on about the god damn chest high walls? no? aw...

ilikepie59

Dec 4, 2008
I can't believe he did the whole review without a reference to his personalised easter egg!
(The tits on fire thing)

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
I was about to ask.. "HAVE YOU PLAYED SERIOUS SAM!!!!?!"

will be interesting to see what the new one is like!

P.S. you can't play fast paced, 'free range' shooters with a controller... thats why.

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
harvz said:
you knew what you were going into, its on the box, can you please stop harping on about the god damn chest high walls? no? aw...
you don't review shit, by saying "its perfectly edible" just because you knew it was shit when you ordered it!

it still tastes SHIT!

also, just fyi, chest high walls is purely gameplay, its not engine related. no, the thing they had to use that restricted gameplay to chest high walls, was not the engine, it was probably the controller...

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
matt87_50 said:
harvz said:
you don't review shit, by saying "its perfectly edible" just because you knew it was shit when you ordered it!

it still tastes SHIT!

also, just fyi, chest high walls is purely gameplay, its not engine related. no, the thing they had to use that restricted gameplay to chest high walls, was not the engine, it was probably the controller...
wow, nice yahtzee impression, with flawed logic and a hint of idiocy.

what do you think the gameplay is based on, THE ENGINE, i may know as i did a small project using the unreal engine, much of the functionality is based on chest high walls, meaning the requirements to make a non-cover based shooter is harder and requires more balancing that, lets say, developers on a schedule and budget dont have the resources for.

the controller has absolutely nothing to do with it, the game does not require more than 12 buttons (not including start and back), 2 triggers that are very dynamic and 2 joysticks. the only game style that really requires a reduction are RPG's/strategy, anything more is laziness on the devs part, which is besides the point due to that fact that this is a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.

please at least learn a little about how games work, preferably before you start making a FPS on the engine for peggle.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
I loved that he called the kick, "using your MIGHTY BOOT".
It reminded me of sunny days in my youth when I did not go outside.

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
LordOrin said:
Pikey Mikey said:
LordOrin said:
Augh! Thanks Yahtzee, now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head for another 5 years :mad:
what song?
He references it in the credits ("I LOST MY HEART AND VARIOUS OTHER THINGS TO A STARSHIP TROOPER"):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL6MAyTXMRA
Warning: the 70s were WEIRD!
Good thing, that warning. That was bizarre =|

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
whtkid6969 said:
"I named him Waggleton P. Tallylicker, but I never got the chance to tell him. He will be remembered." Saddedst part of the game
Yeah. We will all mourn the loss of W.P. Tallylicker =(

Jerre138

Oct 6, 2010
Not to be pedantic, but comparing modern "space marine shooters" with Doom...

what sort of character do you play as in Doom?

metalmanky306

Dec 30, 2010
True Nero said:
i can't play it without three friends cause jumping into a random game with random people who don't have mics is as fun as putting my eyeball under a drill press. there is a level of fun to it, but it needs to be well coordinated
i loled the second i saw that! perfect yahtzee style one liner XD

awesome review yahtzee! imo your funniest yet!

sleekie

Aug 14, 2008
Eh, Yahtzee has a point. Bulletstorm falls somewhere between mass-slaughterfest and QUICK TAKE COVER in design, but that's not a good place to be. It ends up half-assing both of them. I enjoyed the characters, I enjoyed the dialogue, I enjoyed the fact that he knocks his own ass out once an hour at the very least because he's such a moron, but I didn't really enjoy the combat so much, which is the entirety of the gameplay apart from the odd setpiece.

In short, I had a lot of fun, but I'm sure not going to replay it. Epic should stop stuffing Gears into places they don't belong.

tobuji

Jan 21, 2011
you forgot to mention that you can unlock a skin for one of the guns that has a picture of flaming tits.