Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty 4

Demonbear

Jan 24, 2008
Alright fanboys, COD4 is done. Moving on.

Great review as always, i laughed at the fart in the face joke too...

Atle Michael

Jan 24, 2008
I've been waiting a long time for this one to come! (never e-mailed just so you know)

Yahtzee is brilliant as allways. But he could have talked about hos incompitent your allies is in the game...

Deionarra

Feb 6, 2008
Great review as usual, both accurate and entertaining.

I tried this game due to everyone singing it's praises so much and went into it with the same kind of reservations as Yahtzee formed from playing the original CoD and games like the original Medal of Honor. Both are games that I'd put in the former category of games that ended up boring me to tears and forcing me to quit them well before the end. I haven't even wanted to look at any of the sequels to these games since, which makes it all the more surprising that I found CoD4 to be so great.

Kainti

Nov 7, 2007
Damn man, you're getting really good at flash. Nice new effects.

...And that time of the month thing filled me with joy, glee, and disgustingly erotic images.

Demonbear

Jan 24, 2008
Ambition said:
I dunno - There are *much* better ZPs out, this one seemed a little uninspired. Perhaps a lack of enthusiasm, who knows.
Of course he's not as excited now, he's not gonna review every goddamn game in the world until the end of time with the enthousiam of a gay broadway tap dancer every week.

He tried something different with the Theatre bit and he said in a recent interview he's preparing to work on various different projects. I dont expect this segment to last forever.

BUT this is, in its current state, one of the greatests things to see on the web for a gamer and that's something, even if he'd quit tomorrow.

Let's just appreciate what he does while it lasts.

Ambition

Feb 6, 2008
Demonbear said:
Ambition said:
I dunno - There are *much* better ZPs out, this one seemed a little uninspired. Perhaps a lack of enthusiasm, who knows.
Of course he's not as excited now, he's not gonna review every goddamn game in the world until the end of time with the enthousiam of a gay broadway tap dancer every week.

He tried something different with the Theatre bit and he said in a recent interview he's preparing to work on various different projects. I dont expect this segment to last forever.

BUT this is, in its current state, one of the greatests things to see on the web for a gamer and that's something, even if he'd quit tomorrow.

Let's just appreciate what he does while it lasts.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing - I laughed my ass off for nearly an hour straight after the GH:III review (which, with the Mass Effect review are probably my two favorites). Pure gold that, if it can last, will soar above meme/fad status.

I'm just saying this -particular- episode, quite frankly, kind of sucked spades.

Criticism is usually welcomed by artists (though Yahtzee appears to be a grumpy bugger), so I suppose I could elaborate on why I think this one doesn't stand up to the usual ZP standards.

The jokes all seemed forced and rather empty. As I said, he seemed unenthusiastic about doing this one, which could've taken him to a place of 'well, time be to internet funny man' instead of "lalala - wanker tosser tea and crumpets" and just being his Dodgy British self.

Forced? Fake? Perhaps both, perhaps niether.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I actually just played COD4 for the first time last week, and it was only for about a half hour of multiplayer. Now I've never really liked any of the earlier ones, but I loved the 'class' system multiplayer had and genuinely enjoyed myself, despite being caught off guard by Survivalist's "Last Stand" where they're supposed to die but instead fall to the ground and shoot you until they are finished off. I may have to pick this one up, since the single player might be worth it, as the video said.

Grizzzzzzzz

Nov 21, 2007
Very new appeasement review sir well done.

You sounded angry throughout the entire thing which you do deserve to be :p, at least the first 5 comments don't have a request in them which is a start.

herodotus

Sep 6, 2007
Excellent. Had me laughing again, as most since "BioShock" and "GHIII" have elicted only minor chuckles or smirks. Bang on the money with this one.

REvolve

Oct 7, 2007
I didnt find this review as funny as previous ones, but oh well.

Is it me or are most FPS games overrated? I play them a lot but most FPS games get overhyped, and I don't think CoD4 was an exception here. Not a bad game by any means, but I just dont see that much... goodness in it.

That said, I haven't played the single player, so maybe my opinion will change after I play it a bit more.

Garfunkle

Dec 27, 2007
Really good review there, Yahtzee.

Demonbear said:
I wouldn't mind if the Theatre replaced ZP. Although I would miss the reviews, Painkiller is probably my most watched Yahtzee video.

Spammy2505

Dec 18, 2007
Out-Stucking-Fanding review of the game that is currently eating into all my free time,

Also, Does the good Benjamin Croshaw alwoys include songs from Guitar Hero II in the End credits of his reviews.. Hmm... keeps me pondering.

Spamout

renard

Feb 5, 2008
awesome review as always.

Yep, I'm agree about the final and the epilogue... I was like "what the hell? what kind of perverse mind can finish a game like this?"
It seems that infinity ward guys don't know how end a game. In the other CoD's you can't see a proper ending since it's the 2nd world war (well, that's a lie since you can see the end on the fist CoD...), so this time they had to do something new, despite the game's plot ended up looking like most home-films in which the war begins at the start of the movie and ends at the end of the movie, during more or less a week.

But anyway, the game is still aweesome.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
REvolve said:
I didnt find this review as funny as previous ones, but oh well.
You'll notice that this always coincides with those games Yahtzee didn't really want to review and just eventually caved in to shut up the entire internet.

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
Ambition said:
The jokes all seemed forced and rather empty.
Thought i was the only one. Made me smile but the previous ones have made me laugh out loud.

I guess its just repetitive after a while. What was once fresh and new becomes stale and worthless.

Also suggesting that anyone who suggests a game for him to review can basically go **** themselves doesn't endear me to him.

See you next week...

qbelek

Feb 6, 2008
something is a little off with the sound and reading tempo... I have a feeling that Yahtzee changed something in his work pipeline or did this review in a hurry...