Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty 4

defcon 1

Jan 3, 2008
DirtyLarry said:
HOW IN THE HELL CAN YOU REVIEW THIS GAME AND NOT MAKE ONE SINGLE MENTION OF THE MULTIPLAYER???
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
I could give less than a flying shit about the multiplayer and so could allot of people!
Did you sign up just to get that out? You obviously hadn't watched him before and with 1 video per week, he simply doesn't have that kind of time.

I'm surprised Yahtzee actually liked this game! I'm glad CoD got away from cranking out the same game and I wanted to play it. I'm now filled with even more anticipation from Yahtzee not being able to be as pessimistic.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Allan Foe said:
liberalfascism said:
... stereotypical insecure America-hating nonsense.
Oh surprise surprise, some people in this world don't like a certain military superpower and it's politics. And a certain web-comedian just happens to be one of those people. OUTRAGEOUS!

You'd think he'd have the mind to keep his mouth shut about his own views and preferences...
He wasn't really hating on the US, to be honest, rather, he was criticizing the fact that so many shooters do the exact opposite of hating on the US, going overboard with flag-waving patriotism and the like. I agree.

As for this being a single-player review, that's what should be expected from Yahtzee. It's what he likes, and on top of that, he only has a week between each ZP review, on top of other things he does, and in that time, it's hard to get a good idea of how good a game is in multiplayer. Additionally, the experience may different on different platforms. If you play it on PC, which I imagine is the case for Yahtzee, then you can't really say much regarding dumbasses and assholes on XBL.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
So we go from "Cry mich ein River" to "Essen die Scheisse". Love it love it love it =).
And don't worry Yahtzee, my this that this that this that days are over since the The Witcher review... and especially now that I know that I only need to unleash several thousand sheep into your apartment to get you to review whatever I want! Muahahahah!

@DirtyLarry:
You might want to check out ZeroPunctuation's Halo 3 review, aka the "Captain Bland's Monotonous Adventure" review, to find the answer to your question =).

SacrificiaLamb

Nov 14, 2007
This entire game felt like a contest to run to the next trigger point to stop the idiotic spawning. And they always run to the same positions when they take cover.

MP, which I played briefly, felt like grenade spam in a 10x10 room.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
mike81 said:
You criticized (in one way or the other) every single game you've review, even the ones you really liked (such as bioshock); and yet you praise CoD4 like its' the next coming of Christ.
He was really positive this week and didn't seem to be that into it, but he actually put CoD4 squarely behind Jesus and Portal.

Honeybunny

Feb 6, 2008
Another brilliant Zero Punctuation, but you could almost feel the strain of Yahtzee squeezing out the critique. Ah, I do so love the smell of uneasy criticism.

--

Review: Unreal 3 - rinse and repeat.

Xerx3s

Oct 31, 2007
ComradeJim270 said:
Allan Foe said:
liberalfascism said:
... stereotypical insecure America-hating nonsense.
Oh surprise surprise, some people in this world don't like a certain military superpower and it's politics. And a certain web-comedian just happens to be one of those people. OUTRAGEOUS!

You'd think he'd have the mind to keep his mouth shut about his own views and preferences...
He wasn't really hating on the US, to be honest, rather, he was criticizing the fact that so many shooters do the exact opposite of hating on the US, going overboard with flag-waving patriotism and the like. I agree.
Can't say that I disagree. Have been to a lot of places but the us sure likes it patriotic bs willywaving. Even the likes of turkey and russia are nothing compared to it. One just takes notice. Nothing more nothing less. If we joke around with such issues, it's just that. Maybe it's a difference in culture or something but over here we just tend to take the mickey out of everything. Patriotism (especially when linked to religion) just about makes the biggest target for making jokes about (considering what a dumb concept it is). It doesn't mean we hate you. It isn't ww3. It doesn't even mean that you have a special place. We do it to everybody (read: Aussies ¬_¬) and everybody does it to us.

EDIT: The world would be such a nice place if we all just stopped taking ourselves so seriously.

renard

Feb 5, 2008
I see Godwin's Law effecting this thread briefly...
Anyway extreme patriotism is for rednecks. One thing is you like your country and other really different thing is to use your country flags as wallpapers on your house... Extremes have never been good...

Now, please, let's return to the topic... don't turn this into another "MOH:airboner review"

romerocortez

Feb 7, 2008
I've noticed in my viewings of ZP that Yahtzee has an excellent taste in music. I haven't heard one bad song from his openings or closings.

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
I'm shocked, Yahtzee. You missed the biggest flaw in any game I've seen recently;

THE WORST CHECKPOINT SYSTEM IN FPS HISTORY.

Other than that, it was a fine and dandy review.

Mechwar

Feb 6, 2008
Xerx3s said:
EDIT: The world would be such a nice place if we all just stopped taking ourselves so seriously.
Yes, and it would also be a nice place if clouds were made out ice cream and it rained pudding but that isn't going too happen. The ability for people to take themselves too serious is the sheild that the six billion morons on this planet use so that they never have to admit they are morons.

EittilDratsab

Dec 9, 2007
Blah, I was expecting Yahtzee to note the insane throwing range of the enemies and how insanely stupid the AI is in general.

Overall, in my opinion, CoD4 is simply an above-average shooter with well coordinated scripted sequences. The single player was not entrancing for me. Once you beat the game, there really isn't anything else to see. There isn't even co-op. The enemies always run to their scripted points and repeat their usual pattern of popping out and shooting. Not only that, on the hardest difficulty level of CoD4, the game simply isn't fun. Legendary on Halo 3, or Hard with no Vita on Bioshock, or Superhuman Mode on Resistance was much more entertaining. I felt I was actually getting better at the game. In CoD4, you don't get this sense of accomplishment. The only way to beat CoD4 on veteran is to rush the enemy and hope you trigger the retreat response in your enemy.

Multiplayer is great, I must admit, but after you acquire all the accomplishments, guns, perks, what can you do? Prestige? :/

Mile High Club on Veteran with no help is brutal.

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
Did anyone besides me think that maybe the reason Yahtzee didn't want to review CoD4 is because he liked the game? Anyways, the reason I think he reviewed this game just for that last part where he could tell off the whiners.

I didn't particularly think this review was up to his last one, but it still was good. And he may have actually convinced me to tryout this game, something most other reviewers never have a chance at doing.

viciousmaniac

Oct 24, 2007
The US Marines don't "cock everything up", they actually carry out most of the fight, which is a reflection of reality. And the British don't "fix everything from behind", they engage in sapper missions and clear some paths but otherwise are just doing soldier work like everybody else.
*spoiler warnings ahead*

I partly agree with this and believe Yahtzee to be adding a bit too much of his world view into the story.

I don't see any attitudes of the Marines that deserved them to get nuked, save for that obnoxious black caricature. They were simply not portrayed as the righteous invincible supermen that always wins either.

Ultimately they were just men that did their job and were killed when US NEST teams failed to disarm the nuke, summed when Paul Jackson dies alone and almost as an afterthought in a holocaust despite all your adventures with him. I did not nor still do not see much political message.

The SAS were not supermen "fixing every thing covertly" either. Again, they were just men doing their duty in the face of trials and setbacks. They did in fact ultimately fail in their initial mission to capture Al-Asad before the nuke was engaged which cost thousands of lives. It's a bit hypocritical to both praise a game for not depicting the Americans as superior and then again for depicting the Brits as such.

I also must protest the depiction of the SAS as "psychotics"; if this is referring to their treatment of the Al-Asad character, it smacks a bit of cheeky moral absolutism. A pressured Price beats Al-Asad to get information on the nuke before it is used to kills thousands of innocents, which would be on his conscience. When this fails, he executes the (now worthless anyway) bastard as a knee-jerk reaction. There's far too much dilemma of a greyer nature in there to just call it all "psychotic" behavior.

Finally, yes, American jingoism and whining is very annoying, but I am not terribly fond of other nationalities, including in this thread, openly cheering the destruction of the Marines in this game either. In fact, I find it to be many things odious to me, including hypocriticial and needlessly inflammatory.

I fear this is going the way of MOH Airborne, but if so, so be it.

icnfde

Dec 27, 2007
thebrink said:
I've been avoiding this game because I was mostly done with COD after 3, which are fun games, but usually cater to the slower players that enjoy hiding behind a rock 99% of the time until it's safe to dash under the next rock, luckily placed 20 feet in front of first mentioned rock.
So what you're saying is that you've never played a COD game in your life.