Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty 4

renard

Feb 5, 2008
Darkpen said:
tsukihanyou said:
I wonder if I'm the only one that noticed that he had a picture of the movie Downfall. >.>
yeah, me too but... why the hell is this so strange? I can't understand the reason of the question...

olikar91

Feb 6, 2008
renard said:
olikar91 said:
I recently tried the game on ps3 and foudn is nto far short of sucking monkey nuts. the controlls were about as much use as a chocolate firegaurd, seeing as you have to button mash shoot your way thrugh every single phase of the game.
Most shooter's controls on console are a great kick in the balls of the acuracy and movement freedom. Also I've heard about some issues on CoD4 on the ps3...
i only played the game on the PS3 for about 5 hours so im not a pro or anything but i felt that the moving while shooting and sucking ur own testicals aproach to the game was a bit complex, I play COD1 on pc because its the only COD game where u can kill online people without having to worry about ur stance, what way the winds blowing, where your allys are and if a grenade 50 yards away will blow you to mince meat.

but yea, problems with the PS3. umm... rite where to begin

first of all, they havnt replaced the thumbsticks, thay are placed in a shit place that does not agree with your hand eye co-ordination.

secondly (this is nto COD4's fault) i find that a leap from wires to wirless has confused me and freinds when we try to play, im constantly trying not to trip over things that arnt there (and occasionaly fail)

Damn Dirty Ape

Oct 10, 2007
Hm, nothing about the psychic grenade throwing that drove me completely insane when playing? Such an obvious flaw should have been pointed out. The campaign was mostly great, but some parts like the last bit of Tsjernobyl were completely ridiculous with the amount of enemies thrown at you. No need to completely bash cod4, cause it stands above the majority of latest fps but I really had a love/hate feeling with it.

olikar91

Feb 6, 2008
I must agree with u COD 4 is a great game for online play and i would searisoly consider buying a PS3 for myself just to anal ram it a bit more. And yes i have a love hate relationship with is also

i love it and it hates me

i might just be realy shit at games, or people have been fucking this game over since it was released and i get headshot every time i respawn

olikar91

Feb 6, 2008
yea, even though the game well outclasses other FPS games, it still feels the need to get mr tommy testoterone tits involved

entropy3ko

Jan 17, 2008
Parakirby said:
So what you're saying is Yahtzee forgot people don't like it when he likes games.
Uhm well I had the feeling the review was almost a rant. He has been bashed quite harshly lately (especially about the Witcher revie... which(er) I liked actually) and I guess many people were bugging him to review this CoD4...
I think it is understandable he needed to vent.

p1ne

Nov 20, 2007
I was worried that Zero Punctuation would burn out quickly, but in fact Yahtzee just seems to be refining his style and continually getting better. There's real wit going on here, which is quite different from most reviewers or 'net mavens in general who choose the "rant" format to get their point across.

Nice job Yahtzee, keep it up.

Novan Leon

Dec 10, 2007
In all honesty, the single player game is average, or mabye a tad bit above average but still very predictable and linear. Multiplayer is where it shines.

Mr. Yahtzee seemed overly-entertained by the singleplayer campaign and missed multiplayer completely.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
To those that say that it is better than Halo 3...WRONG. Halo 3 has much more than this game. Halo forever.

However this is a great rental game indeed. Not really worth buying IMHO but a good rental game. It has good AI and funny remarks as well from time to time.

The fact that it is FINALLY based on todays technology is a real plus though.....the WW1 and WW2 themes that this series previously followed are not that fun anymore...they KILLED IT.

Anyways....good review bud. Keep up the excellent work.

goodpoltergeist

Oct 9, 2007
DOOSH B said:
I FUCKIN LOVED THE ENDING OF THAT GAME !!! IT WAS PERFECT !!! AFTER FIGHTING AGENST ALL ODDS WITH A TIME LIMIT THAT PUTS MOST JAPAN ARCADE GAMES TO SHAME, SAVEING AMERICA (LOL) AND MAKEING IT THOUGH THE OVER SIDE WITH ALL UR FRAVRUT CHARITORS STILL FIGHTING WITH U. ONLY TO HAV EVRYONE DEI RIGHT AT THE END IN SUCH A BUTIFULY DIPRESING WHY (30 SECONDS BEFORE RESQUE) AND PROBALY DIENG UR SELF BUT NOT BEFORE NAILING THE **** WHO STARTED IT ALL RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES. IF THAT ISENT SEVEN SHADES OF FANTASTIC I DONT KNOW WHAT IS ??? KICK HALOS ARSE!
What have you done to the English language?

liberalfascism

Feb 6, 2008
How surprising that Yahtzee not only imbues this review with his cookie-cutter political diatribe, but also finds the most impressive part of the game to be - shock! - the worst part.

What is his favorite part? The part that has no gameplay! The part that is such a ridiculous, ham-handed, pointless waste of gamer time in the service of pushing a moronic 'message'. We're talking of course about the idiotic 30-second stumble around dying scene, which Zero claims 'made the game good'. How does not being able to do anything make a game good? That was easily the most ridiculous part of this game - talk about hitting someone over the head with a message. Calling this the best part of the game is about as reasonable as complaining about 'jingoism' in a military shooter.

The rest of his review is just his stereotypical insecure America-hating nonsense. The US Marines don't "cock everything up", they actually carry out most of the fight, which is a reflection of reality. And the British don't "fix everything from behind", they engage in sapper missions and clear some paths but otherwise are just doing soldier work like everybody else.

Makes you wonder what plane of reality this guy lives in. Doesn't matter what he plays, he has this preset 'jingoism bad America suck I'm so cynical and cool' mantra that he has to repeat, even when the game doesn't have anything to trigger that tired little rant.

Xerx3s

Oct 31, 2007
It's not a bad game, the SP wasn't bad but far from being the best SP FPS this year and at some points unfair imo (insane lvl). The only reason that I keep coming back is because MP isn't that bad and me mates insist on playing it.

They certainly missed an opportunity by not including coop.

EDIT: The poster above me doesn't realise that he plays as SAS and not the British counterpart of the USMC (ergo: grunts)?
EDIT2: As in: this doesn't represent the UK armed forces but a specific force within that does other types of missions.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
SomeBlackGuy said:
beddo said:
Not a bad review but he didn't talk about the multiplayer aspects. Also, I think all the reviews are a bit too short.
He never plays multiplayer, all the halo 3 fans whined about this when he did the gaylo review.
he he......gaylo

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Good review, certainly. Not as funny as others (except for the 'anus-first ' and 'farts in your face' comments), but more informative, perhaps, and it makes my want to borrow my brother's copy of the game... because I'm poor... so is he, but he doesn't have bills to pay, so he actually buys new games with some regularity.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
liberalfascism said:
... stereotypical insecure America-hating nonsense.
Oh surprise surprise, some people in this world don't like a certain military superpower and it's politics. And a certain web-comedian just happens to be one of those people. OUTRAGEOUS!

You'd think he'd have the mind to keep his mouth shut about his own views and preferences...

liberalfascism said:
The part that is such a ridiculous, ham-handed, pointless waste of gamer time in the service of pushing a moronic 'message'. We're talking of course about the idiotic 30-second stumble around dying scene, which Zero claims 'made the game good'
You might not be aware of the fact that Ben Croshaw is an adventure game developer and as such takes a particular liking to atmospheric game moments.

I believe he rather openly mocks people who don't share his preferences (see Bioshock and Psychonauts reviews). That's the kind of man he is, some of us appreciate his direct manner.

No man is without bias.

DirtyLarry

Jan 24, 2008
I did not nor do I have the time to read all 3 pages here, so it may have already been said, but let me say it again...
HOW IN THE HELL CAN YOU REVIEW THIS GAME AND NOT MAKE ONE SINGLE MENTION OF THE MULTIPLAYER???

I mean seriously, this is a true travesty. Not even a mention of MP?
Sure, ever since I discovered him last year Yahtzee is without a doubt my favorite gaming journalist, and even his not so stellar reviews (the whole one to two of them) are still incredibly well done and endlessly entertaining, but to not mention the MP means this review is practically null and void. Not only I, but many feel, and deservedly so, that the MP is actual strong point of the game itself and what makes it well worth the price tag. And FTR I loved the SP Campaign, absolutely loved it.

To overlook the MP was a grave mistake. I cannot be the only one who was disappointed since I already imagined your comments about the endless amount of twits and douche-bags one can encounter on XBox Live playing the game and the fact it virtually turns you into a crack-less crackhead wanting perks. There was just so much funny material thanks to the MP that you missed out on. Way to much.

Overall, another well done review, but I am extremely disappointed with the lack of no MP mention at all.