Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

WarpGhost

Jan 5, 2009
Finally, a review that actually talks sense about MW2.

And no, you really arent missing out on the multiplayer.

Saint Artemis

Jul 4, 2009
j_meister said:
Good review. While I enjoy MW2, it's clearly over-rated, with it's glaring flaws overlooked by the majority of reviewers.
Did anyone else find the levels that took place on US soil to be long, arduous, repetitive? At the same time, I constantly felt like all the good and enjoyable levels of the campaign were far too short. Not "that was so good I wish it was longer", but "that was really good, but why the hell did it end so damn soon?!", only to be followed by another monotonous US level, grinding through enemy AI. Or is that, enemy AI grinding through your will to live?
I take it you'll be reviewing assassins creed 2 soon, Yahtzee? I'll be looking forward to the watching it.
I agree, the american levels were just building to building while the task force got to have the james bond levels that actually left me wanting more.

My favorite part of the spec-ops levels were the stealth because you and your friend could act like you knew what you were saying when you would say "Tango down" and "Four charlies, 12 o'clock"

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
MW2 is a very good game but I definitly agree they went overboard with trying to recapture the magic of getting nuked from the first one. By the third time I was really more annoyed than shocked.

batterj2

Mar 10, 2009
Cptn_Squishy said:
my problem with the review is that he seems to be trying for some kind of world record or something. I understand that an accelerated pace is part of the appeal, but at least before i could understand at least half of what he was saying even when he was doing it in an accent.
Your ears are too slow - go and upgrade them.

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
Brilliant, I loved solid soap joke.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, there were some brilliant parts in cod 2, but then all of sudden it gets torn to bits by yet another "oh I have been hit by a bullet and everythings gone blurry" moment, or a few other over used cliches like the "suprise ! you`ve been murdered"

xscoot

Sep 8, 2009
It's nice to see Yahtzee ignore the cliches; this could have easily become Grenade of Airstrikes:Modern Campers 2 Strawberry Jam Edition.

Chazfreakish

May 1, 2008
I wonder if Yahtzee meant anything significant by 'pre-owned games scam' ?

It seemed to be on a deeper level than the rest of the video.

Ah well, I doubt he'll even see this in between playing whatever game he's reviewing next.

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
Seemed to me that Yahtzee said exactly what I was expecting him to say - too short and too gimmicky. But I just do enjoy the way he says it (cat in a ceiling fan gave me a chuckle, as did Solid Soap).

Did anyone else feel like he was more pissed off than usual? I expect a degree of vitriol, but it feels like this game really hit a button. Perhaps it is the big-budget nature of it or maybe the fact a game that sounds a bit mediocre and re-hashy is making big bucks which just encourages more mediocrity.

oneshotfinchy

May 10, 2009
I actually really enjoyed this review, it seemed on the money for the most part. Hopefully he uses that james bond face more.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Distorted Stu said:
The bullets and eye bursting part is so true. You need to be a damn ninja most missions.
The favella on veteran was one of the most frustrating things I have ever done inmy entire life... clearing the way ahead to have some arse appear on a roof behind you and go *blam blam blam* was rather annoying. Sure the campaign was short, but I dont regret buying the game.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
I feel that the dev team for this could have just made an animated movie, or series of books and everything would have been fine, infact they probably would have won many awards, so many that the box being shipped to them would need to reinforced with kryptonite. Yet sadly the media wants to shoot, oh god thats horrible pun, for having our amazing narrative in intereactive-game format. Although I would have most definitely would have bought a book with the same story, or watched a movie like this.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Well I agree with Yahtzee's point that the story makes zero sense, but I can't believe he didn't try the multiplayer. I hate multiplayer too, but MW2 is pretty much designed for MP.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
this amazing to me that this one has such good things said about it while world at waSTOP (i dont want to get into this tonight so i shall say something else)

the puppy thing wasnt funny and it kind of killed the rest of the video after i saw it lucky for you it was at the end........animal abuse, not cool

and i would also like to say that i wish modern warfare 2 would die due to its spectatular vampireing of players from gears halo rainbow 6 and bad company

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
miracleofsound said:
TheRealCJ said:
miracleofsound said:
Huh.

Reviewing Call of Duty without the multiplayer is like reviewing a Big Mac without mentioning what the meat tastes like.
That may be the dumbest thing I've read today.

Call of Duty has ALWAYS been story first, multiplayer second. The problem is that the HALO fantards discovered that COD4's multiplayer was pretty good, and suddenly it's the latter first.
That was rather rude, but anyway... no accounting for manners...

The main focus for most people who bought MW2 was multiplayer.

Infinity Ward themselves even said in interviews that they were surprised how many people never even played the campaign in the first game, despite logging weeks worth of playtime into the multi.

http://www.theconsolebattle.com/2009/04/30-of-cod4-players-ignored-single.html

Now who's dumb?

Call of Duty used to be single player first, multiplayer second, but that is no longer the case.

Also, you may not like Halo but that doesn't mean people who do are 'tards'.

Your entire tone is rather annoying, actually.
You're right, and I apologise.

But please, keep in mind I did say fantards. Which is what fans of MewTwo are quickly becoming.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
TheRealCJ said:
miracleofsound said:
TheRealCJ said:
miracleofsound said:
Huh.

Reviewing Call of Duty without the multiplayer is like reviewing a Big Mac without mentioning what the meat tastes like.
That may be the dumbest thing I've read today.

Call of Duty has ALWAYS been story first, multiplayer second. The problem is that the HALO fantards discovered that COD4's multiplayer was pretty good, and suddenly it's the latter first.
That was rather rude, but anyway... no accounting for manners...

The main focus for most people who bought MW2 was multiplayer.

Infinity Ward themselves even said in interviews that they were surprised how many people never even played the campaign in the first game, despite logging weeks worth of playtime into the multi.

http://www.theconsolebattle.com/2009/04/30-of-cod4-players-ignored-single.html

Now who's dumb?

Call of Duty used to be single player first, multiplayer second, but that is no longer the case.

Also, you may not like Halo but that doesn't mean people who do are 'tards'.

Your entire tone is rather annoying, actually.
You're right, and I apologise.

But please, keep in mind I did say fantards. Which is what fans of MewTwo are quickly becoming.
Apology accepted graciously.

MW2 fans are indeed very intense and vocal, but I guess I can understand because it's such a big release and we gamers get very excited and obsessive about our games.

The amount of bitching and whining about it is a lot, but in the case of PC gamers, justified.

I wouldn't like to see it get the same level of Halo does, because in my opinion it's a superior game (though I did find Halo 1 and 3 a lot of fun)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
KiKiweaky said:
Distorted Stu said:
The bullets and eye bursting part is so true. You need to be a damn ninja most missions.
The favella on veteran was one of the most frustrating things I have ever done inmy entire life... clearing the way ahead to have some arse appear on a roof behind you and go *blam blam blam* was rather annoying. Sure the campaign was short, but I dont regret buying the game.
I found it much easier than COD4 Veteran.

Favela wasn't too bad once you learned to just be a camping little bastard, get a wall behind your back so you can't be flanked, and let them come to you.

My ultra pussy technique was to hide behind the dumpster right at the beginning, before even dropping down to the 2 cars, and pick em off left and right.

NeverMemory

Aug 12, 2009
Where should I start?

What I do get I agree with, for the most part; but there are parts of the review I didn't get at all......actually, maybe it's the timing, cause I watch it at night, after school, when I'm physically and mentally exhausted.

The developers do seems to be too attached to the concept of killing the player a bit much. To top on that, I kind of get this feeling like the script seems so similar to MW1; some conspirator try to stirs things up a bit a possibly try to start a war, and you some soldiers of all people will need to save the day. The ending scene also seems so familiar; you're heavily wounded but with sheer will you manage to kill the antagonist anyway......which makes me wonder whether Soap is secretly related to Batman, and had been wearing a cutting edge combat suit under those uniforms.

I'd still say the game play works, although the story could use a touch of innovation. But that comment is strictly for the developers; what I do have to complain about Yahtzee is that for me it's getting harder and harder to get what he is actually saying......I get about less than 30% of the entire video and had to fill the rest of the blanks with my imagination; I couldn't laugh at all throughout this video......I wonder whether or not it is because I'm getting over Zero Punctuation; or is it because Yahtzee's demonstration style had change so much over the years that it no longer is the funny yet witty video I adore so many episodes ago......well, I do hope whatever it is its only temporary. I'll see you guys under the discussion thread for the next review.

Chieffw

Aug 18, 2008
Typical Yahtzee over-the-top, the only thing I agree on is that regenerating health can go suck on a horse shwong