Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

MorkFromOrk

Sep 9, 2007
How about an "edgy" military FPS where your fighting off American invaders? Or how about an "edgy" military FPS where your a freedom fighter in the U.S.A. (since the U.S.A. is really the center of the universe) fighting off corporate fascist rule? All these video game producers and publishers with their controversial military inspired video games all tow the same line: U.S.A. #1 and peace through superior firepower.

von Ohzu

Apr 21, 2009
We the people of America have in the past, by active mandate, or implicit consent pursued national security at the cost of foreign civilian lives through instilling despotic figureheads, followed by extraordinary renditions, followed by airborne drone strikes, followed by, followed by, followed by...
Actual national security policies of the United States have killed innocent people on a larger scale, or in a more callous manner, and often both at the same time. By putting people literally behind the trigger, Infinity Ward spills out the human cost of this kind of policy and revolutionizes video games' status as a form of art media.

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
well I think MW2 was great. Not the best of 2009, but great. However, I am concerned about how it is clearly turning into a franchise, setting up levels in the third Modern Warfare title like the invasion of russia hinted at in The Gulag, The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday, and Whisky Hotel. Its so obvious and you know something is wrong if the main draw of a game is multiplayer. I mean really, what is THAT new from co4? Axing the PC gamers? Shortening the campaign? Putting in a frankly ridiculous terrorist level? Sorry IW, I dont think thats gonna cut it.

xopher

Mar 16, 2009
yeah, the single player was a big dissapointment, which is a shame because the scenery themselves in each level were gorgeous. But I just got tired of having to kill millions of enemies on every single map and die an nearly an equal amount of times because they never stop coming. There isn't time to appreciate anything because all the time you have to stay down while you are basically rushed through each level. IW dropped the ball in single player mode and just wanted over the top action all the time. The storyline is almost impossible to follow and after a while I just wanted to beat the game and gave up on following the story. I beat it on hardened, and I highly doubt I will go back and play it again.

The only thing that saved this game in my opinion is multiplayer mode, (both online and spec ops). If it wasn't for that, then this game could have easily been one of the biggest disappointments of the year.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
^ yeah but even the MP in this game is disappointing: dodgy hit detection, lag, magic bullets and bullets that seem to "curve" around walls a la Wanted, campers, overpowered killstreaks, bad map design....

xopher

Mar 16, 2009
Stylish_Robot said:
^ yeah but even the MP in this game is disappointing: dodgy hit detection, lag, magic bullets and bullets that seem to "curve" around walls a la Wanted, campers, overpowered killstreaks, bad map design....
Absolutely agree. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices the bullets curve around corners. This was also a problem was also a problem in COD4, but it just doesn't seem as bad a this one. Its like once you get shot at you are dead 95% of the time and you might as well stand there and fight since simply running away and ducking into a building or behind a wall will get you killed every single time. Campers are much worse than COD4, probably because there are so many places to hide in this game which is mainly due to bad map design.

Oh yeah lets not forgot the overpowered shotguns (especially Akimbos). I was at least 50 feet away from someone and just got to a window looking DOWN at him, I have a M21 Sniper rifle, I shoot him right in the head, the game registered it as a hit, but he didn't die, he pulls out his dual 1887s, and kills me in one shot; again 50 feet away and from below, now that is some B.S.

So I'm not saying by any means MP is perfect, but compared to campaign mode, its almost like night and day.

fritzroy15

Jan 3, 2010
People wanking to the story being dumb have not have to deal with "what's best for the country" actions from their gov.

Also, why are people complaining about the game being too hard, just lower the dif. level. Was it too hard for you people on "recruit"?

There are no heroes in war.

Revenege

Dec 19, 2009
First off "relisem" and "Video Games" can't really be said in the same sentence.

But anyways single player was fun and the level he is talking about is defenitly Estate takedown. That level on Harden and vetern is a hell hole filled with everything you hate.

bbbzzz234

Jan 26, 2010
I still don't understand why you don't want to play online Yahtzee, I know that at times it can be frustrating, but I'll give you as good of a reason as any. Remember in your review of Gears of War 2 when you said that sometimes popular things are popular for a reason? Well guess what Yahtzee, I'm pretty sure that applies to online multiplayer in atleast halo and modern warfare 2. Just becuase you've gotten frustrated in the past doesn't mean you should stop completely, I get frustrated all the time. No, it means that WHEN you get frustrated, you should stop, calm down, and play something else (or a different mode, ect). Online multiplayer is by far the most I play in videogames. It would be about 60% of the time I'm playing games. That's because it's fun.

Well YOUR FACE

Mar 3, 2010
I'm sorry but yahtzee this is just wrong, the story is quite good. Also not playing online is just dumb it's the only reason why people buy the game just play online then come back

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hahaha story aside (epic, albeit not nearly as realistic and possible), I still found myself enthralled by this game

okay I suck terribly with the online multiplayer (meh...starting to give up trying), tho the campaign missions are doable even on Veteran as long as you take cover and ENDURE (ugh, two left, including the one Yahtzee mentioned)

I guess getting killed in this game is now less about shock, and just creating the sense of failure that gamers are not accustomed to
sure made the final level satisfying

but honestly...I too really wish the campaign had co-op
I mean, even if they only unlocked it after you beat it once solo (just for the whole "experience" they want players to have with it)
even with the thematic moments, they coulda worked it in for sure...

=HCFS=Discoman

Jan 1, 2010
for a game that touts realism, you would think that wouldn't be there (weapon carry "realism") if you are doing impossible stunts.
and why do they hate player characters?
I might actually want to complete an entire game without my character being killed all the time.
and the multiple nukes he mentions? WHY?
the first game was great with that twist.
so the dev. needs to not do it multiple times in the sequel, but think of some other suprise twist that will amaze players.

ZydrateDealer

Nov 17, 2009
Gormalysis said:
joe51498 said:
It does not have 6 hours of single player you retarted chimpanzee its NOT 6 hours I REPEAT its atleast 12 hours of solid game play
Hmmm, retarted? So, is yahtzee now an ex 'tarty' chimpanzee who got back in the game?
Pretty sure you meant retarded, but then if he was and an infinante number of chimps typying away could produce shakespeare's complete works in an infinate ammount of time and would approach the task like this; 'duivbe uvjolsdp dvjj', and a retarDed chimp would probably just chew on the keyboard how the fuck is he managing to produce comedic gold?

Don't take his word so literally he's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy! He also probably meant it took him six hours without all the 'die-restart mission-loading screen' nonsense also 'at least' is two words you didn't REPEAT the fact that it took you '12 hours of solid game play' to finish the game and I weep for your parents.

EDIT: By the way yahtzee if you see this, good work man keep it up for all the complaining dipshits there are ten times as many viewers who love what you do and thank you for brightening my week up that little bit more.

Noah Rouse

May 28, 2010
I know that this is a bit late, but i am sure that you will get a kick out of this, no matter how retarded it already is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98IllinIqe8

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Love the review, excellent as always, and I'm sure I'm not the only nerotic little bastard in this thread who has to read every joke in the credits, until I've successfully squeezed every last drop of tasty, tasty humor from Yahtzee's videos.

Slaingod

Apr 22, 2009
Nah, I love reading those too. It kind of like eating the cherry off the top of a sundae.