Zero Punctuation: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
That portal reference joke at the end resulted in the most sincere laugh out loud moment from me. Possibly the best line in ZP yet.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
This was one of the best in a while: the 'Sleeping in the wet spot' comment, the imp throwing granny-panties at the band, the fart joke... all and all, very nicely done.

(I particularly liked the 'Hte Count From Sesame Street' spelled backwards: that was a very subtle touch.)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I only played the demo and it seemed to play more like Devil May Cry...only you ride on Rao's horse and kill wargs. It didn't seem bad just...not...good...

I second the idea of turning Symphony of the Night into a Sesame Street game made possible by gamers like me.

Le gateau c'est faux!

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
I expected it to suck just from the trailers.

But making a Portal joke? Oh, how much Yahtzee must have suffered.

Jon Shannow

Oct 11, 2010
ninjaman87 said:
dude what the fuck is you main problem cant you just have fun when playing games wich are the main poitn and after all the piece fucking garbitch of shadow of colossus what nothing more than a patetic waste of time and speace it had nothing interesting to do and you only fight so little this game had more of a better story.
You really are missing the point of Yatzhee's reviews

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Honestly, I think that the best way to go with 3D Castlevania would involve the stamp, "like Prince of Persia, but..."

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
The whole fart joke is pretty hilarious. It?s become pretty questionable to even reference portal now never mind someone putting it in a game. It?s an old joke, especially when Portal 2 will be coming out soon with some fresh ones.

Even still, it?s staying on the Christmas list; I imagine it will be pretty fun even with its faults.

Testsubject909

Jan 18, 2010
Hmm... well, considering that it was intended to be a remake of the original Castlevania or more specifically a remake of the remake (Castlevania 4, but hey, Castlevania 1 and 4 are basically the same plot so...)

Faulting it for not having free roaming is rather off. It's a staple nowadays but if I try to re-create a stage by stage game by making it a fully free roaming event, I'm missing the point, aren't I?

Aside from that, every other complaints have been detailed extensively and debated massively.

The game is good, at times great, at times not so. Is it a good castlevania? That depends on the interpretation and also what sort of Castlevania fan are you (Castlevania 1-4, or Castlevania SOTN-OOE)

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
A little more gross than usual wasn't it?

I liked his voice when he said "On my face please"

I thought he would said that God of war plus Colossus equals God of war 3

Vinticore

Nov 19, 2009
Bit-o-fact: Dragon age, Origins had a reference to how the pastry is false, deliverd by the ever stoic Sten, make of that what you will. *smugface*

Do agree on it not feeling like a castlevania game though, so why bother?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I never knew he liked Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but he should probably try Super Castlevania IV, that game was the best in the "classic" Castlevanias and a linear game as well.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
ninjaman87 said:
dude what the fuck is you main problem cant you just have fun when playing games wich are the main poitn and after all the piece fucking garbitch of shadow of colossus what nothing more than a patetic waste of time and speace it had nothing interesting to do and you only fight so little this game had more of a better story.
You don't know how this works do you?

Gamurga

Sep 4, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
ranyilliams said:
i think you should stop using the whole "like god of war...but" joke...its getting old.
I agree, however it is still relevant
I disagree. Sure, Castlevania plays and feels a lot like God of War and every other game that supposedly "ripped of" God of War, but I don't see it that way. God of War invented (or perfected) a new genre, that is (like all other genres) defined by its gameplay.
Of course Castlevania, Dante's Inferno, Devil May Cry, God of War, Bayonetta and so on seem very similiar, but thats simply because they are all games of a certain genre.
Frankly, I'm bothered by the "like god of war but" joke (and it's not even a joke, it's actual criticism!).
So, how about a "like wolfenstein but" stamp for every shooter, or a "like Dune 2 but" stamp for every RTS?

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
BWAHAHAHA I Lol'd my way through this review XD

The Like God of War but was definitely needed for this game and I just love how they gave almost no Screen time to Dracula whatsoever.... -_-

oh Btw... THE CAKE IS A LIE!! Srsly why in god's name would you feel the need to pull that in a game in 2010!?

Jikuu

Mar 3, 2010
Fronzel said:
Jikuu said:
SotN at least broke the franchise out of its side scroller rut...
That's a funny thing to say considering the previous game, the side-scrolling Rondo of Blood, was so good.
It was, and don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think any of the sidescrollers or MetroidVanias were "bad" or anything. I liked them both a lot. They just probably get it in their heads that after 6 or so iterations, they want to pursue new ground. Only this time, they totally didn't.

As for the previous 3Ds, the 64s did have a rough start, but I thought the PS2 versions were nifty. I think in the end, Konami doesn't know where to go with ol' Drac and the Belmont clan.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Yep. The first thing that came to mind when I saw the gameplay was God of War and later on Shadow of the Colossus with the boss fight.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
Good Lord Yahtzee I seriously think you dropped the ball on this one. For starters the "Like God of War but.." stamp is getting old. If you are going to do that then you might as well give every FPS a like "Wolfenstein 3d but..." or "Like Doom but.." stamp. Hell while we are at it we can give every turn based RPG the "Like Final Fantasy but..." or "Like Dungeons & Dragon's but.." stamp. Honestly just because God of War started that style does this mean that every game of that style is just coping God of War? There is all ways going to be some game that started a style of game play that became popular then others copy it. Personally I think that's the only way they they really could have done a 3D Castlevania game.

As for there being no Dracula this kind of gave me the feeling you either didn't beat the game or didn't bother to sit through the credits, because if you had you would have realised why there was no Dracula.

I love your reviews but this was very disappointing.