Zero Punctuation: Child of Day-Light - Horror and Whimsy

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
It's sad to hear Child of Light was not written well,
I guess I should avoid it, and Daylight as wel- ah shit!

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Falcon123 said:
That last line may be my new favourite of yours, Yahtzee. Glad somebody is upholding poetic standards. :)
Well he has too. He has a Poetry slam with Jim Sterling every week.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Ken_J said:
What the fuck Yahtzee. How dare you slam a game for an entirely Poetic script. While I haven't played the game heard that it's poetry is amazingly beautiful and it was probably hard for someone to wright all that. And I don't see YOU do any better...
To be fair, that's part of the problem. When you try to write an entire script in rhyme, the poetry becomes too forced, and it doesn't flow properly. That's why only master poets (Dante) can typically pull it off. I think Yahtzee's last line may be my new favorite of all time : P

Otherwise I thought Child of Light looked like a beautiful game, I may give it a try at some point.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
It's actually funny how easy it is to spot when Yahtzee simply didn't give a shit about a game or decided to condemn it from the get-go. He mentions the battle system and how annoying it is to control your little wisp for healing and slowing enemies while also deciding what move to make. Except that when your turn comes up the time stops and you can decide what you want to do without worrying what to do with your wisp! You can use all your wisp's resource to heal your party members during your turn and then decide what action to take. Or you can choose an enemy that you want to slow down and it will be slowed once you start your action. So yeah, kinda reminiscent of his Borderlands 2 review.

I still enjoyed a video though, funny as always.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Well personally I enjoyed Child of Light for the combat system, where the wife & I could work together to manipulate the interrupt system. That was a fun and original gaming experience for me.

As for the poetry, yeah, it was poorly done, but it was only annoying because they made me press X after EVERY. SINGLE. LINE. If they'd just presented it a full page at a time I would've been content.

Btw Yahtzee that review of Daylight made me piss myself, one of your funniest. My favourite part was "Oh wait, no, that's Mario Golf."

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Ice Dentist as a techno band name. Called it! Dibs!

Also, the analogy of watching your grandfather type could not be better for explaining how that sort of crap feels.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
They definitely stop trying with the rhyming in Child of Light, but it didn't hinder my reading experience for the story.

This is what I had to do for the Triple Serpent boss, which I really enjoyed on the hard difficulty. The Oculi customisation for that elemental boss was interesting.

Flying around the world is just fun, avoiding enemies or blinding them to get past to treasure chests.

I have much lower standards for a jrpg type game because this is only my 2nd after FF 8 but I really like the combat. My complaint would be the filler in the tech trees, there's 3 directions and many of the upgrades are repeats of increased MP, increased HP, increased MP defence, increased HP defence.

Also, I just like spinning around.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ken_J said:
What the fuck Yahtzee. How dare you slam a game for an entirely Poetic script. While I haven't played the game heard that it's poetry is amazingly beautiful and it was probably hard for someone to wright all that. And I don't see YOU do any better...
except that, you know, he does better, every week on Jim and Yatzee Rhimedown videos. And entirely poetic script is a bad idea, made even worse by the examples given in this video (havent played the game so dont know how prevalent they are).

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
thejboy88 said:
I had not idea that Yahtzee was so strict when it came to poetry.
It's not about being strict, it's that conventions exist for a reason: going against them tends to just sound bad. Sometimes this badness is more obvious than others, but the more you're into this sort of thing, the more likely you are to notice and be bothered by it.

Bad writing kills games for me almost as often as bad gameplay.

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
Child of Light wasn't that bad of a game.... well looking back at my play through I really didn't pay any attention to what was being said unless it was around boss fights. So yeah couldn't have been as bad as you said.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Timing is everything and this episode was perfect in regards to said timing. Brilliant work as always. Looking forward to what you take on next week. Hopefully it'll me more blast and less arse

Brennan

Mar 21, 2014
Nifty. I was just mildly wondering about Daylight the other day after seeing it on Steam. I say "mildly" because I already knew I wasn't going to buy it, but, I was kinda curious anyway.

The thing that bugged me about Daylight, from what I saw on the Steam page, was how making the flashlight a cell phone was a transparent excuse for having the map constantly glued to the players face. Multiplayer FPSs and MMORPGs have minimaps because they're all about metagaming and grinding out the next objective as efficiently as possible, and even then they make their minimaps little transparent bubbles in the corner where they don't compete with the action.

Survival horror, however, lives and dies on immersion first. The cell phone map is simultaneously blatantly contrived (are there actually any smart phones with displays on both sides? Would such a device even have a reason to exist outside of scenarios like this?), an obnoxiously ham-fisted example of "hand-holding", and in-your-face in a way that encourages people to ignore the setting in favor of the map.

It's not even a difficult concept to fix. Just put the map on the actual phone screen, so the player can use the phone as a flashlight or a map, but not both at the same time. If you really, really can't let go of your desire for the map to be seen at all times, then make the game top down isometric instead of first person.

It really made it look like a survival horror game made by people who neither enjoy nor understand survival horror.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
Why hadn't you reviewed Outlast?

I thought Child of Light would be interesting but then again I'm not in its target audience either. Maybe the poetry would be nice for some giggles.

Looks like Child of Light is put out by Yahtzee,
The poetry Nazi.

Ichigo

Nov 13, 2012
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Ichigo said:
I wonder why turn based combat is still around when games without it are so much more fun.
That's pretty subjective. Nearly all of my favourite games are turn-based.
Well there is always someone who likes it i guess, and I won´t judge that. But for me Final Fantasy (or in that case every other JRPG) like fighting system became so tedious that I can´t enjoy it any more. Especially because the other games that don´t do it seem to have vanished completely. Also I think it takes you out of the game every time you have to fight something (so every 5 seconds).
Child of light doesn´t do it but real JRPG´s also need to have the exact same animations before and after the fight to make it as long and boring as possible.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
The rhyming in Child of Light didn't bother me that much, and the game is really easy on normal difficulty, you don't need to grind at all. I have not have my entire party knocked out even once, only a one or two characters got knocked out, but you can switch them out anyways. Just fight a few of the enemies and you're good to go.

drschplatt

Aug 18, 2010
Kind of ironic that he complains about bad poetry when he's put some pretty god awful ones together with Jim. But everyone has their own taste, I suppose.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Falcon123 said:
That last line may be my new favourite of yours, Yahtzee. Glad somebody is upholding poetic standards. :)
I'd like to think that Yahtzee may know a thing or two about poetry, but I can't figure out where I get that idea from.

Vicioussama

Jun 5, 2008
I don't get the hype around Child of Light either... it's very.. meh. And ya, the rhyming annoys the FUCK outta me.