Zero Punctuation: Clive Barker's Jericho

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
I dunno, I think something like Mass Effect or Assassins Creed would be too awesome for him to review.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if he did review them, it's just that he did start off this Jericho by saying he wasn't getting to review enough crappy ones.

However, if Jericho was enough of a break for the guy from good games, then they would be great suggestions.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
My fiancee thought Clive Barker's Jericho looked good (she loves the survival/horror genre in film and this carried over well - she finally became a proper gamer after I introduced her to Silent Hill 2 and she's blossomed nicely over the last two years). She was bewildered and annoyed by the demo. After watching this review, I decided that there was enough incentive to not waste my time and promptly freed up a few hundred megs from the ever expanding collection of XBox Live detritus that is cluttering up the 12 gigs of usuable space out of the 20 gig HDD that came with my 'Premium' 360 a year ago.

While I'm dearly loving Mass Effect, there is MORE than enough for Yahtzee to rip the holy living fuck out of it. And as a Halo fan who thoroughly enjoyed (and couldn't argue with any of) the comments made about Halo 3, I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm certain this week would have to be a toss-up between Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed and I think both are equally bursting with flaws that can translated into Yahtzee's now trademark animation style.

Then again, I'm sure there's a third game out there that we're all missing and will be surprised with in... what, 3 and a half hours? On one hand, I want to stay awake for that so I don't have to wait until I get home from work to watch it. On the other hand, it will be 4am when the video goes up, assuming it's on schedule.

I do, however, work in a call centre and as a highly trained Insurance Consultant can now explain the ins and outs of worker's compensation in my sleep. The clients won't notice because apparently business owners in Australia are by and large the stupidest people you will ever encounter - then again, maybe I just don't get to talk to any smart ones because they know how to complete their forms correctly without me defining exactly what my company means by the term "office use only".

Despot

Jan 16, 2008
Undying was such a great game: it was immersive, had a great story and varied environments. I guess sometimes it's just better to stick with a winning formula...

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
Even though it may be a repetitive game, the pictures and talk of what you do makes me want to play it. And the review was fun.

entropy3ko

Jan 17, 2008
Despot said:
Undying was such a great game: it was immersive, had a great story and varied environments. I guess sometimes it's just better to stick with a winning formula...
Indeed it is a bit strange... Clive Barker is one of the best horror authors (I certainly prefer it to Stephen King, but that is a matter of taste) and many movies based on his novels were GRAET ehm.. great!

In a wild guess I think that IN SPITE of Barker efforts the company that made the game gloriously fucked up...

dungeonmaster

Apr 30, 2008
I am gonna try to defend Jericho.....
first let me get the shit out of the way hahahaha
I agree there was alot of controller throwing frustration.
1. the pillbox area for sure.
2. at the end of the world war 2 area where you have to warp to a specific team member and move to the EXACT spot to activate the event, but without any clues or hints (I gave up and returned the rental at that point and decided the game sucked balls too at that point! but later bought the game anyways cause I like clive barker a great big huggy bunch)
alright I lose lmao!!
I was gonna say that there are many things that I REALLY like about the game.
I've been planning for a week how I would make LIGHT of the game. But your kinda right about it being X-MEN mixed with the MATRIX. After figuring out the weird moon logic of the developers I had many great and exilerating battles using all of the special powers in my own inventive ways.
But your right about it being pretty broken and like I say I lose, at least you finished the game.....

[ANZAC]Ghost

Apr 30, 2008
Despite the bad review I rented this game to give it a spin, we all know Yahtzee likes to nit pick and well, I thought it might be ok, the little screen shots looked pretty good and overall, the game looked like it might give a scare or two.

I was wrong. In all my years I have never, ever, encountered a game this bad, it's like they took every bad aspect from every FPS ever made and duct taped it together. The level design is not only monotonous it's also bland, linear and generally painfully boring. Terrible one liners are repeated hundreds of thousands of times, almost as much as the enemies repeat, in battle the whole thing becomes a clusterfuck and there's so many people in your 'squad' i actually felt bad for the demons i was fighting because of how badly you outnumber them. There's no ammunition, nothing in terms of objects or cover and overall claiming this game as a horror FPS is like claiming that Doom3 wasn't dark enough. I think the combination of having an entire army of superheros, infinite ammunition and the ability to revive endlessly, took away and sense of vulnerability. But the thing that gets me is, theres no redeeming factors, nothing, quicktime events pointless, characters obnoxious, storyline no sense and graphics as terrible as everything else.

Theres not excuse for this game, Clive is a well known horror writer, so i assume he writes things that scare people. Ergo one would expect a halfway scary game, but what we get is the total opposite.

Ozz04

Feb 13, 2008
I just finished the game...
it's actually really good, I'm not quite sure why it's so loathed.

Maybe the demo sucked, I know that was a big problem with Hellgate

MaiaMadness

Sep 22, 2008
THANK YOU!

I have now gone through, oh, about half the videos, and am tottering off to bed, but first I would just like to thank you for giving me a good ending to an otherwise really shitty day. Brilliant stuff! :)

dungeonmaster

Apr 30, 2008
I have read a few of Clive Barkers books and I would say that I can see his influence in this game. It's not huge but I would say he had some part in it.

I'm positive if he coulda had it his way he woulda had some underage girls getting defiled in it and more shit monsters and zombies dogs.