Zero Punctuation: Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Jack Spencer Jr

Dec 15, 2007
It's interesting that Yahtzee ended with the X-Files characters as there's a new movie coming out in a movie that makes new Zelda and Mario games seem fresh and exciting. So that little joke is expectedly timely, and maybe they'll explain why they never hooked up this time.

Maxpayne5th

Jan 11, 2008
tiredinnuendo said:
Maxpayne5th said:
Thats because you went from paying out a game for obvious flaws to being downright hypocritical. Yes, your Chzo Mythos series ends with... you guessed it, a CULT! 5 Days a Stranger didn't start with an obvious twist to a Cult or Sect. Neither did 7 Days a Skeptic. It was only Trilby's notes, and 6 Days a Sacrifice that we saw this Cult. Hang on, that means your series has Indigo Prophecy Syndrome as well, you've become what you have always hated! (Dramatic Music) Duh Duh DUH!
Without quoting the whole bit, I think it's worth mentioning that Indigo Prophecy Syndrome causes a plot that goes batshit in the second half. He named cults as a lesser symptom. Pay attention.
I believe I was paying attention, you just missed something from his Chzo Mythos series. Like Indigo Prophecy, the main character ends up becoming a new man with immense power. Sure, Indigo Prophecy takes it to a big fight, while 6 Days a Sacrifice just makes him become so powerful no-one can stop him. But then premise stays the same. 1/2 way into the game (We'll say that the Chzo Mythos is a full game rather than a 4 part series) we start hearing about this cult and that the spirit of John Defoe wasn't the biggest threat in the supernatural world. If he didn't want the series to get IP syndrome, then he should've just stuck with John Defoe being a mean spirit killing people because he was angry at the world who mistreated him (Even though it was just his dad, but he doesn't care).

Your right, he did say it was the nail in the coffin. His first reason was valid (With the Jihad Bombers, like where did they come from) but his second, I don't know. He's in a museum and there are guys with armour and swords. Well if you have something like that available to you, then I'll take it. What don't like a challenge Yahtzee? Cmon you can do it!

In Chzo Mythos he was still able to pull things out of his arse. Like the new prince at the end, where'd he get the staff from, hmm? Old Prince may have had one, but not one that looked like that. So arguing that the Chzo Mythos series does or does not have IP syndrome is like arguing 10 Hours whether Ricky Ponting just got LBW'd by Sajun Tanduker (Sorry but I'm not sure how to spell it). We can look at the evidence and see both sides of the coin. I still think the Chzo Mythos series does have IP syndrome. Do I care? No. Its still an awesome adventure game that I would play again and again. Same with Indigo Prophecy. Because to be honest, I didn't care all that much about the ending of Indigo Prophecy. I still think it was pretty good.

But that's just me.

RPJesus

Nov 20, 2007
I'd like to see ZP shirts with various awesome scenes from ZP. i.e. the Altair diving at a random peasant while screaming, the bit from heavenly sword with "Words that exist", the wiimote bow from the RE review, etc.

C-man101

Apr 19, 2008
it was awesome, i too hate games with a sense of realism that go the superhero way after a couple of hours.and yahtzee is simply the most awesome reviewer ever, he makes me choke on my own laughs!

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
A good one seem to have returned to form after a down streak toward the end of 07. Now to go fly and meet the others from my ancient mystical cult.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
SamSloth said:
hay, at 3:36 theres a full stop, what happened to *zero* punctuation? you lied to us, you lie like cheap watch.
and btw yes i know that im a nerd, so i fully invite you to reply to this with some meatheaded "LOl wuT R U SuM KInd4 NErD???!!! LOLOL0l0lOL!!!11!!" (Player in the leet world was carved out of pure awesome by chuck norris) but if you want to do that then please first get yourself neutered for the good of the gene pool and then carve your fingers off with some sort of sharp object so that you cant use a computor, this means that when you insult people in the future then they'll actually be able to hit you
edit: about the whole cutting off your fingers thing, you might want to get a friend to help you with the second hand, in fact, it doesnt have to be a friend, id help, seems like a worthy cause (this spewing bile was caused mainly from the battallions of strange people who spawn from damp toilet floors just to crawl their way to a computor and insult everyone that they can so that they can feel good about themselves for being so brave)
Did I miss something? Did anyone attack you? We're well-behaved people at the Escapist. No one is going to jump down your throat because you pointed out that there was a full-stop. However, after your mean-spirited rant, I have a question for you: who's the meathead?

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
Maxpayne5th said:
Your right, he did say it was the nail in the coffin. His first reason was valid (With the Jihad Bombers, like where did they come from) but his second, I don't know. He's in a museum and there are guys with armour and swords. Well if you have something like that available to you, then I'll take it. What don't like a challenge Yahtzee? Cmon you can do it!
Funny, he already said the same thing in the review. Did he edit it or something so you didn't notice? Also, challenge is great and good, but when you have to complete a game every week, too much challenge can get frustrating. But, seeing as he made it through it, I don't think it was that big a problem.

In Chzo Mythos he was still able to pull things out of his arse. Like the new prince at the end, where'd he get the staff from, hmm? Old Prince may have had one, but not one that looked like that. So arguing that the Chzo Mythos series does or does not have IP syndrome is like arguing 10 Hours whether Ricky Ponting just got LBW'd by Sajun Tanduker (Sorry but I'm not sure how to spell it). We can look at the evidence and see both sides of the coin. I still think the Chzo Mythos series does have IP syndrome. Do I care? No. Its still an awesome adventure game that I would play again and again. Same with Indigo Prophecy. Because to be honest, I didn't care all that much about the ending of Indigo Prophecy. I still think it was pretty good.
I didn't think she was talking about that point. I would say that, if the game was good, it didn't suffer from IP syndrome, but that's just me.

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
thedrop2zer0 said:
Jack Spencer Jr said:
It's interesting that Yahtzee ended with the X-Files characters as there's a new movie coming out in a movie that makes new Zelda and Mario games seem fresh and exciting. So that little joke is expectedly timely, and maybe they'll explain why they never hooked up this time.
They did hook up. Yahtzee was wrong.
You mean Yahtzee isn't infallible? NOOOOO!!!

JojjeE

Apr 21, 2008
I agree on some points like the Indigo Prophecy-syndrome.
But it doesn't really seem like you've been playing the game online. It's great fun, try it.
Add me on XBL if you wanna rumble, LMAOBOAT94

RedFeather1975

Apr 26, 2008
I believe I am one of the dying breed who somehow still cling to the idea that Condemned is about a descent into madness.

I can't disagree with anything Yahtzee has said about this game.
I once almost thought the Condemned story was quite clever, but lately my faith in the game's writers' storytelling abilities is faltering fast.
It is just getting too frustrating picking through all the far-out garbage seeping into the game's story in order to find the curious bits dealing with psychology.

Even if it turns out Ethan is slowly going absolutely bonkers since before the first game started, the writers did a sloppy job of telling that story. Fight Club meets Don Quixote? Sorry Monolith. I can hardly even buy into that as an explaination anymore.

spikespiegel

Apr 23, 2008
My mate just bought this game and we played trough 80% together.
I 100% agree with what you said
As we were bouth high it was fucking scary first half of the game:p
After that guy with the freacky mouth and eyes died in what I must say was the most pitiful "boss" fight in history (he was just a normal enemy:S).
All the shit you said about the gun fights was 100% true, mostly ebcause we were figting normal people.. and the atmosphere just whent to a straight foreward shooter:S
Havent seen the last few lvls though, so cant comment on that.
Enjoyed the game but got mediocre after the halfway mark ike you said.
Keep up the good work

A Dutch Guy

Apr 27, 2008
oh (***)... I even looked when he said HE"S BEHIND YOU RIGHT NOW BUT DONT LOOK CUZ THAT WILL RLY PISS HIM OFF -_-... but brilliant as usual lol

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
It's a bit late to be replying to this but I only completed the game on Friday (after getting it on Wednesday). After playing it I believe that Yahtzee made more of the change in combat style then is actually there

firstly his superpower
- Ethan is first given hints that he is different with attention to his bone structure and lack of vocal cord x-ray in the first game and there is a substantial build up to the discovery of powers in the second game. They are not just pulled out of his arse rather revealed after a lengthy process
- They are first revealed in cutscene and you can't actually use them for the first time untill you've completed the second to last level. Therefore while the Peninsula has a large focus on your vocal ability it is the only level that could be said to do so

The guns
- there are only two levels at most that make Condemned 2 feel like a FPS, the Black Lodge level and once again the last level (the Peninsula)

Investigations
- While they are less frequent this matches with parts of the story where he isn't required to do as much and the investigations that are in the level are all quite important with valid contributions to the plot

The cult
- Now I agree that cults are cliche. But they fit purpose and they are the best type of thing to serve the needs of the story that they serve.

I personally found no problem with the plot but thats just me. Though warning lights did flash when I had a fight with a clown girl that consisted of us throwing explosive baby dolls at each other

Great review, and once again I know this is a bit late to say anything but once again I only recently completed it

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
I bought this game a couple of days agao and after finishing it I have to say your "review" is miles off.
Especially the rant about the story makes this review seem rushed and makes me believe Yahtzee didnt spend much time paying attention to it.

> The "powers" are not pulled out of the ass. Ethan's physical abnormalities were known in part one already. This power (A sonic scream, no kamehameha beam or whatever) is only available in the last level and is mainly used as a key ability to specific enemies (Oro sonic's and the final boss).

> While the cult does become know in the second half of the game. It does make certain things in the story fall into place. The only thing lacking is a "true motive", one wich will most likely be saved for another sequel. (the ending has "join us next week for another episode" all over it.) To me there seemed to be nothing mystical about it apart from the fact that the cult most likely witnessed the birth of Jesus. (being over 2000 years old)
The medieval enemies in the museum had nothing to do with it though. Those were hooligans wielding armor and weapons they looted from the exhibits.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
oh thank god, the serial killer behind me went to get a drink T_T
XD
great review as usual :p

badazz5001

Jul 22, 2008
The serial killer who lives under your bed and is standing wright behind you but dont look that will relly piss him off. Awsome condemnd 1 literliey made me poop my self a little didnt play 2 becausae it looked kinda stuoid

qubit

Sep 26, 2008
Resident Evil 4 came close to Indigo Prophecy Syndrome somewhere around Chapter 4. It had the lack of subtlety and mystical cults, but thankfully Capcom decided not to give Leon superhuman powers :p

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
As much as I see that the sci-fi elements ruin the game, they aren't always so poorly implemented. For example, Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth plays like an adventure into pissing your pants after you've taken 4 hits of acid and imaged cockroaches crawling in your brain. In spite of that, probably one of the best ZP reviews out there.