Zero Punctuation: Console Rundown

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
A whole day of being ill, but waking up and forcing myself out of bed, dragging myself to the computer and spending vital energy turning it on and labouriously typing in the password for a repeat? Feh.

Ah well, 'grats on the awards, I suppose, and now I get to spend a whole week wondering what Yahtzee is going to murder next.

RetardedlyGenius

May 14, 2008
Not that it puts me any higher on the hierarchy of ZP's message board, but I've been working with Gamestop for a few years and want to hopefully clean up that whole messy "360 can bite my balls from behind while flashing the circle of doom in my asshole" thing.

Essentially the first two generations were faulty. They didn't put a heatsink over the board and the board couldn't handle the heat itself was putting out. After playing for more than a few hours (which if you imagine the first few 360's being tested by Microsoft probably weren't on for more than 15 minutes in front of investors) they start to overheat, causing TWO things. One, the chipsets begin to come loose from the sodder and drift. Two, the main chip begins to sizzle and loses the ability to process graphics. AKA Red Ring of Death.

Because people are so ADD these days, not having a 360, after having paid what should've gone to your rent or car payment for the month, people will freak out and undoubtedly send it in for repair. Upon receiving the new one (still messed up on the insides), they are greeted with a Fantastic Fuck You from Microsoft with yet another Ring. Some people I've talked to have done this upwards of TEN (!?) times. This is just plain ridiculous. Simply put, they realized the problem and "fixed" it, by putting in a new chipset, called Falcon. Falcon did fix SOME of the heat, but not a lot of it. Generation 3 brought forth the rebirth of the 360. Most systems made AFTER August of 2007 will experience little to no problems. Anything before that makes an incredible door stop.

Most people gave up and said it's garbage without turning around. I do not blame anyone for this. However these are probably the people that WOULDN'T read this post even if I told you the 360 now has a built in jerk off function, which is why the controllers vibrate so much harder now. They went to PS3's, played the 5 good games on the system, and started playing their old PS2 games on it and telling people how WONDERFUL blu-ray and 1080p is. They forget to mention that as high-tech as the PS3 is, most games won't even play in 1080p and they probably won't for another year and a half, due to how awfully hard it is to actually code for the great black beast. Great connectivity though, awesome little things you can do with it, like play your PS1 games and Blu-Ray movies on your PSP whilst on the go (as long as wi-fi is ever close).

Give the 360 another chance now that they've fixed their mistake. The game library alone is worth another look through. Is it the second coming of Jesus? Probably not. But that jerk off function is totally worth it :D

Nanolathe

Sep 6, 2007
KreacherOfbloodandRank said:
Wait a minute?

He reposted an old video and labeled it as new?

We already had this one! We could have just looked at the archives!
I believe the Escapist did, not Yahtzee himself.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Dexter111 said:
btw. who else doesn't see a difference between DVD and Blu-Ray besides obviously half-blind Yahtzee, or does he actually try to watch them with 3D-Goggles on? xD

King Kong: http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/Viewer/c7ff7e16.png

Underworld Blu-Ray: http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/Bluray/cfee67bf.png
Underworld DVD: http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/DVD/96e978e3.png

Underworld Blu-Ray: http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/Bluray/e6122f50.png
Underworld DVD: http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/DVD/1b36b81f.png

Pirates: http://www.silver-ware.net/movies/potc1unf.png

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/dvd/hddvd/comparison_base._V5835714_.jpg
uhhh yah...i still dont see a difference

fco

Sep 21, 2007
64 posts before the video even started? there's gonna be a lot of banings today... : )

Now seriously, when I saw this week's ZP topic I first tought "oh, an update on the clasic 'Console Wars Rundown' video, this will be funny". Then I realized it was just the same video again, but then I saw timer and thought "hey, it's a 6 minutes clip, there will probably be something great at the end..." but once again my hopes were crushed by a self-promoting add.

Dear Escapist Magazine, can I have my webby vote back please?

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
If you're doing a rerun, at least let it be The Witcher. Now there was an exemplary "I don't have time for this" review =)

Kronopticon

Nov 7, 2007
RetardedlyGenius said:
Most systems made AFTER August of 2007 will experience little to no problems. Anything before that makes an incredible door stop.

Give the 360 another chance now that they've fixed their mistake. The game library alone is worth another look through. Is it the second coming of Jesus? Probably not. But that jerk off function is totally worth it :D
Thanks for the heads up info, i am actually purchasing an XBOX 360 soon, well, for my birthday, and im just glad to know it'll be fine, and deliciously sexually gratifying ^^

MLS

Jun 11, 2008
RetardedlyGenius said:
Not that ...(etc)
Please tell me more about the deep interworkings of the Xbox360, Mr. Person who doesn't know how to spell solder.

I Mav I

May 7, 2008
I've watched this loads of times! I reckon nothing would have been better than just a re-post...ah well...no point getting my knickers in a twist just have to wait a bit more...

RetardedlyGenius

May 14, 2008
MLS said:
RetardedlyGenius said:
Not that ...(etc)
Please tell me more about the deep interworkings of the Xbox360, Mr. Person who doesn't know how to spell solder.
I didn't say I run the National Association for People that Spell Good and Want to Learn to Do Other Things Good Too. I work for a video game store. I didn't realize punctuation and spelling would be graded. I thought it would be nice to be informative instead of arguing about how dreadfully terrible it is that the post we all wanted was a repeat and the guy that makes them took a week off. How incredibly SELFISH of him to take a week off. /insert sarcasm

gRiM_rEaPeRsco

Jun 11, 2008
RetardedlyGenius said:
MLS said:
RetardedlyGenius said:
Not that ...(etc)
I didn't say I run the National Association for People that Spell Good and Want to Learn to Do Other Things Good Too. I work for a video game store. I didn't realize punctuation and spelling would be graded. I thought it would be nice to be informative instead of arguing about how dreadfully terrible it is that the post we all wanted was a repeat and the guy that makes them took a week off. How incredibly SELFISH of him to take a week off. /insert sarcasm
A week off from playing computer games?

peeps

Feb 13, 2008
awww I actually thought this was a more up to date console rundown lol but nope. Surely if you we're too busy this week it would have been better to just say so rather than posting an old review?

Kitari

Dec 26, 2007
Normally, I wouldn't ***** if there was no ZP in a week. Yahtzee has a life, we can't demand anything from him. But it's kind of like your trying to fob us off with a video you've already played and thinking we wouldn't notice.

In short. GTFO.