Zero Punctuation: Console Rundown

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
J.theYellow said:
I recommend against going to Wal-Mart unless you really have to. It's pretty much a wretched hive of human scum 24/7.

My favorite measure of how messed up a Wal-Mart is: Count the used, full diapers in the parking lot. These are the typical Wal-Mart shopper; parents who would change their squalling hellspawn's nether regions with the passenger door open, then cast the bag of turgid leavings into the parking space for cars to run over and saps like me to almost step in.

Maybe it's part of living in Texas.
Yeek. First step into the Demiurge's Metropolis.

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
All that said, I think my next console is going to be a Wii. The only thing stopping me is this guy:

Brian Easton

Jul 11, 2006
Slamhound said:
It's not so much a console war these days as "how many different boxes can you cram under your TV alongside your Sky box, VCR, and DVD player".
You still have a VCR? I mean I have a Saturn and an NES, but a VCR?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I wish I had a VCR. I still have VHS tapes, but I sold my VCR in a "moving across the country" garage sale years ago and haven't gotten around to buying a new one.

What's the protocol? Do you go to someone's house to watch the movies or just eat the bullet and buy them again on DVD?

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Russ Pitts said:
What's the protocol? Do you go to someone's house to watch the movies or just eat the bullet and buy them again on DVD?
I'll admit, I still own a VCR/DVD combo (a fairly nice one, but VCR nonetheless, and my Oppo destroys the DVD half), but I think the protocol is to wait out the HD war, and then buy your VHS movies in the victor's HD format. Personally, my only copies of Star Wars are on VHS (The Gold Box from the re-release), and I refuse to buy new ones until an HD format wins, and I can get a decent transfer. None of this "I accidentally recorded over the original masters" crap.

Whoops, I think my StarWars is showing, I better zip up...

Cordelia

Jun 1, 2007
Landslide said:
I am a visuals snob. Once I went DVD, VHS actually bothers me now.
You and me both. I didn't really think much of having a DVD player until I wanted to watch something that the local video rental outfit only had on VHS. It was horrifying...so...grainy....

The only stuff I'll willingly watch on video now is something I taped myself 10 or 20 years ago, and that's only because it's funny to watch commercials from that far back.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
pigpen81 said:
Where can I see the video? Nothing is showing up for me.
Click the "Read Full Article" link above. If nothing still shows, disable flashblock or adblock or whatever. If you don't have those running, and/or it still doesn't show, make sure you've got flash installed. If all of the above fails, drop us another line.

Aug 18, 2007
Pretty good, I still think that all of the consoles kind of suck right now. Im waiting to see which comes out with the best games.
I dont think the Wii controller is overrated, you forget that the motions are secondary to the aimer, which is good for shooting games. And I think the motions are to immerse you into games. But I will admit that it is not as convenient or easy to use as I hoped... oh well I cant wait for Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles!

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
A few of my friends cant view it either,it needs to be posted on youtube as well.
when will it be posted on youtube?

They can run most flash vids fine, its odd.

Sep 4, 2007
Terrific analysis!

I've been laughing at this generation of consoles for exactly those reasons. Now I just need a video making fun of all the time, money, and troubleshooting it takes for me to maintain my gaming PC! ;P

grendelpete

Apr 9, 2007
Brilliant as usual, even my non-gamer friends love Zero Punk.

(one gripe - that "Metroid" graphic looks an awful lot like Master Chief)

And maybe the Aussies havent' gotten the herd of Mario games (Party, Paper, Chargers and forthcoming Galaxy & Kart news)

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
nthexwn said:
Terrific analysis!

I've been laughing at this generation of consoles for exactly those reasons. Now I just need a video making fun of all the time, money, and troubleshooting it takes for me to maintain my gaming PC! ;P
if you spend more than 150 every 10-20 months on a video card you deserve it too :p
Oh wait...LOL

:p

still I love my PC would rather put 600 into it every 1-3 years than fool with consoles that get watered down every generation, if they bothered to try and give the user more control options on the consoles I would put up with it even if I have to buy 60$ KB and mouse set I would but that conbimed with a lack of button mapping and stuff...it drives me nuts to play some games and then the final kick is in order to get the most out of a console you need a cheat device to re balance games so that they are fun and the MS will sue any traditional cheat device maker that gets near their console.....uhg....just uhg.....

Over the last 5 years my PC has become my entertainment center forgive me if I do not buy into the hype of HDVD/BR and next gen consoles.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
ZippyDSMlee said:
...it drives me nuts to play some games and then the final kick is in order to get the most out of a console you need a cheat device to re balance games so that they are fun and the MS will sue any traditional cheat device maker that gets near their console.....uhg....just uhg.....
What?

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Geoffrey42 said:
If you want to "fix" some balance issues, you need a cheat device such as a GameShark-type thing. And Microsoft would slap a DMCA violation claim against any such company, the same as it does to any "mod" to the Xbox.

Who could predict that cheating at "pong" would be illegal...