Zero Punctuation: Console Rundown

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
grendelpete said:
(one gripe - that "Metroid" graphic looks an awful lot like Master Chief)
I suspect that's done on purpose to drive Halo/Metroid fans foaming-at-the-mouth mad... ;)

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
jabrwock said:
If you want to "fix" some balance issues, you need a cheat device such as a GameShark-type thing. And Microsoft would slap a DMCA violation claim against any such company, the same as it does to any "mod" to the Xbox.

Who could predict that cheating at "pong" would be illegal...
I guess I've never felt the need to "fix" a game. I've always sort of treated it as it is; good, bad, or otherwise. On the PC, mods are grand, and give much better play experiences, but if the original game fails to stand up without mods, then I've never thought it worth my time to take it any further. I try not to buy those.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Geoffrey42 said:
jabrwock said:
If you want to "fix" some balance issues, you need a cheat device such as a GameShark-type thing. And Microsoft would slap a DMCA violation claim against any such company, the same as it does to any "mod" to the Xbox.

I guess I've never felt the need to "fix" a game. I've always sort of treated it as it is; good, bad, or otherwise. On the PC, mods are grand, and give much better play experiences, but if the original game fails to stand up without mods, then I've never thought it worth my time to take it any further. I try not to buy those.
0-o
How you play monotonousness mediocre games 0-o

FF8 was a nightmare without free magic and even then it didn't help the game that much, FF10 could use infi items but sadly it works outside combat thus making lvling hard to do without killing the progression of teh game(would kill for inf in battle items and customize at any time code,why oh why did they put that feature in half way threw the game...) FFX2 is unplayable without cheats IMO, DMC is dull and boring as spit add inf jump codes in limit yourself to 3 or 4 and let the fun begin.

Inf accessories on Legia 2 dual saga made the game fun and insane.

FF12 has a nice run code you can toggle on and off,inf magic is nice but inf items is needed more jsut to remove the grindyness from it, its a shame the class/skill system is so broken no amount of cheating will fix it...

If I can remove the stress or grind from a game via cheats I will.

As for mods they can bring life to a game or even make it better but it takes work to fidn them and can be a pain,as a FPS fan I personally hate doom 3 but it has a doom 1 mod on it that makes it worth while,also quake 4 is pretty bad but I been messign with teh weapons on it just for some def scripting experance its nto as easy as unreal but its been fun..kinda *L*

I was working on UT03 but ran into issues with the code so I brought that watered down bug fest for 04...it has more polish in it at least but not enough to save the UT name IMO, I am waiting on "U3" before writing off epic as another corrupted dev house.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
ZippyDSMlee said:
Geoffrey42 said:
jabrwock said:

0-o
I don't.

What you just described seemed like an awful lot of effort to make broken gameplay work. From an economic standpoint, all I can see is the consumer picking up the slack on the developers side, paying them full price anyway, and encouraging the same sloppiness next time around. (One might also argue that the game played perfectly fine for them, and cheats/mods allow the game to appeal to a wider audience, without being watered down for the primary target audience.)

Either way, I don't bother.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Geoffrey42 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Geoffrey42 said:
jabrwock said:

0-o
I don't.

What you just described seemed like an awful lot of effort to make broken gameplay work. From an economic standpoint, all I can see is the consumer picking up the slack on the developers side, paying them full price anyway, and encouraging the same sloppiness next time around. (One might also argue that the game played perfectly fine for them, and cheats/mods allow the game to appeal to a wider audience, without being watered down for the primary target audience.)

Either way, I don't bother.
ah I see LOL meh I tag 7-15$ titles and have my wet geeky way with them, however over the past year or 2...I am gettign less and less able to find a reason to play the stinky bastards >>
even the "good" oens can annoy me.....oh god I am getting old ><

kojirodensetsu

Sep 16, 2007
In our house we have 2 VCR players and 2 DVD players. s:

Anyways this video was pretty spot on on our I see the systems. PS3 and Wii might be good down the road, but not worth getting right now. 360 is pretty good but I'm afraid if I buy one it'll explode in a firey ball of doom.

Stotan

Oct 16, 2004
I'm sorry I didn't know about this guy sooner now to go back and watch all of his reviews

TenchyMuyo2

Sep 19, 2007
The only console (if it even qualifies) that I ever owned was an Odyssey 2 by Magnavox back in 1974-81. From that time I think the war was with Atari's 2600 and Colecovision. Technically the C-64 I used back in the 80's had a short run imitating a console by having cartridge based games for a while.

Now I feel old....

Khakidoo

Sep 22, 2007
These are all so refreshing. The little circle people are so expressive considering they are just circles. I especially love how Mose, cousin to Dwight Schrute on The Office was pictured as representing the black monolith console.

keithburgun

Aug 1, 2007
Fantasy World Dizzy is the best game ever? Was that just a joke or sincere? I'll have to check it out.

-Keith

Noog [deprecated]

Oct 7, 2007
My god, what is that game at 3:41 with the yellow submarine? I had it long, long ago and have been trying to figure out what it was for quite some time now.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Yes, because Metroid is the star of the Metroid games.

There was also sonic there. It's just showing how everything mirrors each other.

penischucker

Oct 12, 2007
"Game with actual depth" = I LOVE that SILENT HILL 2 was subtly put there!
Makes me feel RANDY. But sometimes Randy doesn't want to be felt. Or velvet.
Excuse me, I think I broke something.

Zetim

Oct 6, 2007
i think youre missing the bigger picture of why blu-ray is enticing. as you mentioned the difference between dvd and bluray are negligible, but thats not the important part, and i feel sony failed to market the fact that the bluray disc, when double layered, can store about 50 gigs of data properly. contrasted with the HD-DVD (which i remember correctly is basically dual layered DVD discs) which is about 30% cheaper to produce (mostly because its older technology) only stores around 12 gigs of data. this drastic 4 time capacity per disc is extremely important, and with games that are initially made for the ps3 and get converted late in production could result in a drastic change in graphics and audio quality or 3-4 discs for the 360 and pc port.

but of course, more data for a game makes the production process longer, and that can be obnoxious at times.

blackfly01

Dec 5, 2007
I hear you Zetim, though Sony's obviously going to focus on what catches their consumer's more on a world-wide scale: rather than stating the entire facts, they simplify the fact, make the simplified fact public and wait for the cash to roll in.

On a personal note, I have to admit this rundown makes me happy I put my gaming into mostly antiquated or at least oblivious games and game consoles.