Zero Punctuation: Crysis 3

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Okay, "nail a complete bastard to a wall by his childhood memories" is now officially my favorite Yahtzee line.

Wait, what was this video about again?

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
At the end credits: "At least Prophet will never be able to escape from Alcatraz"

Great review as usual, Yahtzee!

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I've never played a Crysis game before, but the series has always intrigued me. This game looks a lot more appealing to me than the last one though.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Queue the line of people saying Crysis 3 sucks because Yahtzee said so, even though they didn't play it.

Sure, the story is bland, as has been the case with all of the other CryTek games.

But whatever happened to, you know, just having fun? I get that the context is important, but the game gives you the context.

Maybe I just really have a lot more fun blasting people around with the bow while cloaked.

WaitWHAT said:
INB4 a billion people insisting he was "wrong" not to play it on a glorious P.C. instead of a filthy, 'inferior' console!!
Given the average response to the Crysis franchise around here, I doubt hardly anyone is going to insist that when all they generally muster is either apathy or rage. I'm more going to point out that he completely glossed over the actual gameplay of the game so he could focus on how shite the story was. Sure, Yahtzee really loves stories in games, but a fun game can redeem a boring story - See also, DmC. Except nobody is actually going to bother playing the game, and will just parrot Yahtzee about how terrible it, and by extension the franchise it's in, is.

AcidSnow

Nov 7, 2012
I was wondering where Yhatzee was going with the "I wish I could pick the bullets out of my enemies and reuse them on the next..." But then I realized he was alluding to using a bow & arrow, once I realized the correlation I began to laugh pretty hard - it was the best little snippet of this review!

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I had completly forgotten this had even come out. I saw it in the gameshop like 3 days ago. Massive posters, employees wearing t-shirts, on top of the pre-order charts. And I still forgot. I had even forgotten Crysis 2 came out just a year or so ago. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
FallenMessiah88 said:
I've never played a Crysis game before, but the series has always intrigued me. This game looks a lot more appealing to me than the last one though.
Do yourself a favor and start with the first one. 2 and 3 are forgettable with pretty much the same graphics as the original game. Crysis 1 was actually really good with somewhat of an open world, vehicles, etc (even though Crysis 3 has vehicles again... barely). People always talk about the graphics, but they're meaningless unless you do something with it. Crysis 1 actually pulled it off wonderfully with you exploring a jungle with industrial area. When you almost start to get bored, out come the aliens that start to freeze everything with their pewpew ice rays. It looked good because it was good art design coupled with great graphics. Crysis 2 and 3 are short linear romps through the same areas all the time with the same graphics as the original game.

[email protected]

May 8, 2008
I hate to point this out but Crysis2 was not released less than a year ago, in fact it was just under two years. Seems like Yahtzee is crossing the 30 barrier when suddenly things start seeming like they happened less long ago than they actually did... and just to illustrate my point, the original Doom isn't 10 years old, or even 15, it's now 20 years old! Also are the first release of Mortal Kombat and Myst...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
A game sold on grapics over gameplay. Crisis 2 was boring linear mess. Great graphics, just boring, mediocre gameplay. Guess C3 is rent only.....just like C2.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Thank you for bringing up the point I haven't heard anybody else mention- by the time of Crysis 3, you're playing as the mental imprint of a dead man, using the corpse of another dead man to walk around a nanosuit like a rotting meat puppet. I mean, we're reaching Lovecraftian levels of squick here and nobody's noticed!

Looks like Crysis 3 will be just like Crysis 2 for me- ignored until it hits $10 on a Steam sale.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
he should have done MGR:R first between those two. much more to work with.

Astraleora said:
Can't wait until next weeks "Revengence" slaughter, with its made up words and stupid/vaguely racist 'Mexican' poncho disguises its ripe for a beating
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Revengeance

stupid sounding word yes, fake, no

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
slash2x said:
Only point... Arrows do more damage. They are larger and often make a hole so big it is easy to bleed out quickly. The real issue is distance, and rate of fire... Something a cloak solves.
Something to note about arrows is that the stronger you are, the further you can fire. Medieval longbows had a draw weight of something like 150 pounds and skeletons of medieval longbowmen have visibly deformed spines. Of course, if you have super strength, you can have a bow with a 1000 pound draw weight and kill people sitting inside armoured vehicles, from a mile away.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
You should ask Jorge Garcia if Prophet escaped from Alcatraz.

OT: I think the bow was mostly "hyped" for the multiplayer mode, which apparently is not bad.

I don't mind bow in games for stealth n shit, just tad weird in a high technology area/time.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Actually until the 19th century, bow were still better then gun (until revolver, lever-action/bolt-action rifle started to appear mostly) the trouble with bow is mostly the training required to achieve better efficiency then gun (it basically the argument of bow vs crossbow), along the trouble of making quality bow until after WW2 (the rise of synthetic material make it much easier to create a quality bow these day).

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
I've honestly never understood what Yahtzee means when he calls something "overwritten." I tend to like stories, so that is kinda like a chocolate cake being over-chocolatey, or a basket of puppies being over-puppiety.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Astraleora said:
Can't wait until next weeks "Revengence" slaughter, with its made up words and stupid/vaguely racist 'Mexican' poncho disguises its ripe for a beating
That wasn't racist, it was silly. It was like God of War's Chef hat or cow costume.

OT: Yeah that game felt really empty, which was a shame because I really liked 2. Plus the ending to 2 was awesome and hyped me up for the third one.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
This review felt a bit dull. Given that this is Yahtzee, I'm willing to reason that this means the game is fairly devoid of any real content; just a load of pretty pictures and not much more. However, I will give that I could be completely wrong on that point.