Zero Punctuation: Crysis 3

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Hope he does MG Rising next week that game had potential but blew it with a shitty camera and awkward controls. Not to mention QTEs out the ass, and we all know how fond Yahtzee is of those.

upgray3dd

Jan 6, 2011
Ryan Hughes said:
I've honestly never understood what Yahtzee means when he calls something "overwritten." I tend to like stories, so that is kinda like a chocolate cake being over-chocolatey, or a basket of puppies being over-puppiety.
Something being overwritten means that the style is so complicated and overlong that you start to lose sight of the story. You are assaulted with so much verbiage that the story becomes hard to follow. You are investing your mental energy in figuring out WHAT people are trying to say, which takes away from what is going on in the story. It can also mean giving absurd levels of detail to EVERYTHING, making it hard to keep track of which facts actually matter.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Bad Jim said:
slash2x said:
Only point... Arrows do more damage. They are larger and often make a hole so big it is easy to bleed out quickly. The real issue is distance, and rate of fire... Something a cloak solves.
Something to note about arrows is that the stronger you are, the further you can fire. Medieval longbows had a draw weight of something like 150 pounds and skeletons of medieval longbowmen have visibly deformed spines. Of course, if you have super strength, you can have a bow with a 1000 pound draw weight and kill people sitting inside armoured vehicles, from a mile away.
The pulley systems of modern bows kind of blow the whole user strength=kinetic energy conveyed equation away. While the strength of the user can certainly play a part at the upper limits of a bow's capability, modern bows are able to convey much more kinetic energy (more important than draw weight, because of physics) due to a longer contact time with the string, even with less force applied by the user. And the bow the Crysis guy is using is clearly a compound bow, so...

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Absolutionis said:
FallenMessiah88 said:
I've never played a Crysis game before, but the series has always intrigued me. This game looks a lot more appealing to me than the last one though.
Do yourself a favor and start with the first one. 2 and 3 are forgettable with pretty much the same graphics as the original game. Crysis 1 was actually really good with somewhat of an open world, vehicles, etc (even though Crysis 3 has vehicles again... barely). People always talk about the graphics, but they're meaningless unless you do something with it. Crysis 1 actually pulled it off wonderfully with you exploring a jungle with industrial area. When you almost start to get bored, out come the aliens that start to freeze everything with their pewpew ice rays. It looked good because it was good art design coupled with great graphics. Crysis 2 and 3 are short linear romps through the same areas all the time with the same graphics as the original game.
Yeah, I also plan to start with the first one. Now I just need to get a PC that can actually run it.

Falsename

Oct 28, 2010
Thank you Yahtzee for expressing my own displeasure at Prophet, and how much of a dick/toss-pocket/wank he is. He pretty much stole the main protagonist's life from him. Alcatraz did everything right, both in character (being vulnerable) and in role. He killed all those seph, Prophet didn't. And afterwards his reward?

"Yeeeeah, I'mma take over yo body and use it as my own". Which doesn't make any fucking sense. I mean... Prophet had a bullet in his brain, he's not 'come back to life', it would have to be the suit that.... I dunno.... predicts what Prophet would do. You're not playing as a person in Crysis 3, you're playing as an AI that's pretending to be something it's not, while using the corpse of a genuine good guy to do it.

.... It's so immersion breaking, it was all I could think about during the game. I stopped playing half way through, I just couldn't enjoy myself.

Prophet, go suck a bag of dicks!