Zero Punctuation: D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
When your first worst started with a 'D' I figured a shitton of them would follow.
Still, it was funny and impressively done.

All I am left with is this: WHY Don't Dark Dreams Die?!
Oh right, probably because dreams are not alive...
Whelp, so much for having to try that "game" or is it an interactive story thing?
Marketed as game anyway...

With the marketing guy's naked body advertisements I'd have gone a bit farther;
"Check out my Sunrise cockring!", or
"And do you like my Destiny Tongue and Nipple piercings? Don't leave, I'll put on my whacky CoD wig and show you my hidden Mario tattoo!!!!".

Dajmin

Jul 18, 2008
I don't disagree. I'm driven to deride Destiny as a disappointment due to decrepit mechanics*.

* I haven't played it, so what do I know?

LaughingNabashin

Oct 18, 2010
Meh. I was hoping for a review of Five Nights at Freddie's since it's an indie horror, and we all know how much of an open mind Yahtzee has towards that area.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Oh god... The D's! It's like being in a stripclub!

Darth_Payn said:
Renegade-pizza said:
Falseprophet said:
This delectable dissertation did deconstruct and dismember this detritus decisively. Disinterest declared directly!
But did Diddy do it? Diddy did do it
What didn't Diddy do?!
A Ferrari cake!

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die.

Watch Video
Mmmmmm. Its quite interesting when the main event of the review is the language, and not the actual result. Not even the humor, fun as it was. There are not many authors (of anything) that makes me feel like that, and I will not compare you to Terry Pratchett because he is simply in a class of his own....but among normal mortals....I dare say you might be of a similar quality. Well done :)

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
LaughingNabashin said:
Meh. I was hoping for a review of Five Nights at Freddie's since it's an indie horror, and we all know how much of an open mind Yahtzee has towards that area.
At this point, I'm at least expecting him to open one of his videos with "By the way I'm not going to review Five Nights at Freddy's, because I hate you." Or something to that effect. He can't be unaware by now.

But hey, calling attention to a new Swery game I had no idea existed is cool too. Deadly Premonition was one of the craziest things to come out of gaming in a long time; the man is pretty much the new Suda51 now that Suda51 has gone the Tim Schafer route of being increasingly mundane and mainstream.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Heh. For all that he criticizes the game, I actually want to play it now.

Unfortunately, I can't, since even if Hideo Kojima, Suda 51 and Square Enix all sign exclusive contracts to develop solely for the XBoner, it still won't make me want to buy the thing. However, now that Deadly Premonition is on Steam, I can get that instead.

Hmm, I notice that Swery (real name Hidetaka Suehiro) also calls himself "Swery65," which makes me wonder if he really does see himself as the next Suda 51. If so, well, there are worse designers to emulate.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
And yet another disastrously derivative diatribe of drastic dimensions as deciphered during the deranged dialogue of a demented deviant. Despite this dichotomy, the discussion is a departure, and a delightful diversion.

Skribzy

Oct 1, 2014
Carnagath said:
Fuck yeah, wordplay review. I missed those. Will also be stealing the "metabolizes like a fucking nuclear submarine" bit, if you don't mind.
Fun Fact: We have Nuclear Submarines from 20 years ago that have never had to refuel.

Maybe I am missing the point of this line but in terms of fuel efficiency, nuclear power is one of the best.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
If D4 is like Deadly Premonition I'm still interested in playing it eventually, clutter and all.

Deadly Premonition was all kinds of clunky and surreal, and the combat could range from average to straight up terrible, but there was still a charm to it that really resonated with me. And Agent York's probably one of my favorite protagonists in gaming.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Boy, that sure was a lot of D's. That letter had to carry the entire review, and so many jokes, I'm surprised it didn't collapse with exhaustion.

I suppose you'd have to say that it was a Tenacious D.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
Dat "D"-literation doe...

It surprises me how he actually managed to resist the temptation to incorporate the word dogshit into this review when he was entirely willing to give us that lovely image of a 7-titted Phil Collins-faced mermaid.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Yahtzee never fails to amaze with his wordplay. Alliterations, ahoy!

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I am enjoying it at lot thus far.
I am using the Kinect, so the QTEs feel a lot more fun and interesting as the game was designed clearly with the use of Kinect at the core.