Zero Punctuation: Daikatana - John Romero's B****

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
0takuMetalhead said:
Atmos Duality said:
Well, I'll credit Romero one thing: He did give us "I can't leave without my buddy, Superfly.
A phrase so ridiculous and strangely, so conducive towards co-op gaming. (even if it's in a semi-sarcastic sort of way)
Hell, the name 'Superfly' alone is already strange if you ask me.
He's super fly for a white guy.

thy beachwear zones

Jun 25, 2014
I read something somewhere that made the case for Daikatana being an ultimate hardcore FPS. That's why the weapons have an equal if not greater chance of killing the user, and why Romero thought it was reasonable to call his fans bitches.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Loki_The_Good said:
Well whether you have a disability or not you are only included in that group if you found that offensive which your tone kind of indicates is something you don't. Maybe I'm wrong but otherwise your still jumping to the defense of hypothetical people while ignoring the real one in front of you.
You are wrong. Saying "That didn't take long" indicated that your prior prediction had come true, that I was calling Yahtzee a horrible person on your behalf. "Offense" was not one of your criteria. The criteria is as follows:

Person with no disabilities. Fail.
Tells Yahtzee he is a horrible person. Fail.
On your behalf. Fail.
It's the implication that jokes like these do harm when in reality there can be a wide variety of responses as individual as the people that make the group up.
Whether you personally like a joke doesn't change whether or not it does harm.

It's weird that there's a "wide variety," yet you immediately went into a dismissal, though. Not only that, but attempting to shoehorn me into either "offended" or "nor disabled." Either of these would allow you to write me off completely, no doubt.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
The Auteur Problem: Having one man's vision realised can be either unique and beautiful or utter shit, and it's really hard to tell which way a given project is going until it's too late. Having a corporate vision realised is impossible, as they have yet to design a game console that ties you down and steals your wallet.
This is where having some oversight by a producer (not necessarily a studio, but an individual who is tasked with trying to get the game actually launched) is VERY important. Even the greatest visionary needs to have someone who can tell them "no, doing this would be a use of time of money we really don't have," such as suddenly switching to the Quake 2 Engine would of at least made sure their was time and money left over to fix all the horrific bugs with the game.

Steve2911

May 3, 2010
> Calls out pre-rendered teasers
> Accomanies with the logo for an entirely gameplay based teaser that's gotten a pretty great reception

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Zombie Badger said:
0takuMetalhead said:
Atmos Duality said:
Well, I'll credit Romero one thing: He did give us "I can't leave without my buddy, Superfly.
A phrase so ridiculous and strangely, so conducive towards co-op gaming. (even if it's in a semi-sarcastic sort of way)
Hell, the name 'Superfly' alone is already strange if you ask me.
He's super fly for a white guy.
Did I see a nod to The Offspring there? If so, kudo's!

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
vdrandom said:
Mahoshonen said:
Are releases that slow Yahtzee?
Actually I was wondering too.

Why so slow?
I would guess it's because he's Australian and he's complained before that in Australia an arbitrary number of months are added to every single release date.

As for the video itself I remember those ads where John Romero was gonna make me his *****, as it stands I'm still a virgin so sorry John, try again with Doom 4.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Loki_The_Good said:
Having a mental disability is hard. It can make [one] feel depressed and give into feelings of self-loathing.
I am an unmedicated depressive and failed suicide. You are telling me nothing I don't already know. Now can we please quit bringing up each other's medical histories as sources of authority? I feel uncomfortable discussing my illness, particularly when the purpose seems to be to score points.

Loki_The_Good said:
Laughing isn't just about having a chuckle; it's about a cathartic release of that pain. This isn't about trading a chuckle for the hurt feelings for another; it's more nuanced then that. Jokes like these don't provide just a chuckle; they help people deal with serious, painful situations.
Jokes help some people deal with serious, painful situations. Jokes hurt open wounds for other people. No one I am aware of has spoken up and said, "This joke hurt me," but if such a person does so, I will immediately prioritize that person's response over yours because there are ways for you to achieve catharsis that do not involve hurting innocent bystanders.

Loki_The_Good said:
And for the record, I never once said I had moral authority; my issue was about people claiming to speak for me or speak over me to fit their personal narrative.
No one has claimed to speak for you, and I don't know what you mean by "speak over you" in this instance since everyone involved in the discussion has been addressing you directly, but whatever your definition, I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened either.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
The video was fun, but really simplistic.
For all the bad rap he gets, Romero was one of the best designers in the medium, being responsible for Wolfestein, Doom and Quake, revolutionizing PC gaming and creating things that today we take for granted, like online gaming and deathmatch.

For those that want to have a deeper look at the rise and fall of Id, I would advice you this book:

At least its a more complex account than "boohoo, they sucked!"

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Awwww yeah!
I got the Quake II demo and all my two PC friends were super envious how gloriously sharp everything looked at the max resolution and settings I'd spend all my money on. And MAN, did it look flabbergasting!
Too bad the gameplay and levels, and enemies where total shit. Boooooooring would be the correct term.

Thank goodness all the magazines took massive dumps on Daikatana, so I didn't sink a half years worth of cash on that crud!

Dragonheart57

Jun 13, 2011
I got this game in the Humble Bundle, weirdly. I was tempted to play it, but it doesn't seem to be the kind of bad that's fun to laugh at, at least not when you're playing it. It was right alongside Deus Ex and Hitman: Blood Money too, makes me wonder who the hell put that bundle together.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I knew as soon as I read "Daikatana" in the title, I immediately heard that song in my head, followed by "Oh no, it's THAT game!" I liked all the dumping on John Romero and his hair, here, I haven't seen that since the Deus Ex retro-review (though still no mention of Warren Spector).
Also, nice touch on giving Romero Kamina's sunglasses. As much as Yahtzee dumps on anime, he could be a Gurren Laggan fan.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
blackrave said:
Just fuck already!
While I find the video itself entertaining and insightful, there is really no conversation to be had about it other than, "Ha ha! Yep, that twenty-year-old video game sure does suck!" The conversation with Loki_The_Good is considerably more interesting to me.

Loki_The_Good said:
Okay, first, having one kind of disability only gives you the vaguest insight into another; this is why I speak only of my two learning disabilities and not any of the other also professionally diagnosed ones.
Except you did not say learning disabilities cause depression. You said mental disabilities do. I will grant that you may have meant the former, but you said the latter.

Loki_The_Good said:
Your prioritization is based entirely on fallacy and assumption. In either case someone suffers.
Nothing I can say or do will take away from you the joke you have already laughed at. It will still be there until and unless the Internet implodes or Mr. Croshaw decides the joke was in bad taste and alters the video like he did in the case of the pantomime dames thing (which I still think is a case of people missing the point of the joke, but oh well, it doesn't cost me anything for him to change two words in a video).

Loki_The_Good said:
The assumption that there are other means of catharsis is also kind of messed up.
If there is only one way you can feel better about yourself, and if that one way involves you taking your pleasure at the expense of another person's pain, then I am personally convinced you are a monster and your pleasure is a thing to be assiduously avoided.

Loki_The_Good said:
Maybe they don't I know I have issues finding it. Maybe someone is going through a really bad day and that one chuckle is what they needed to get through the day while the person offended felt bad for fifteen seconds then went off to do something they enjoyed.
Yes, and maybe the offended party in question felt so bad he built an atomic bomb and detonated it in the middle of New York City. Maybe Jesus Christ almighty decides that one joke is the straw that broke the camel's back and will no longer allow any human soul into Heaven, thereby condemning all our species to eternal suffering in the pits of Hell. I am not interested in adding hypothetical riders to an already hypothetical condition.

Loki_The_Good said:
By the way, "talking over" means ignoring my or anyone else's real response to something while appealing to some hypothetical group with an opposing perspective.
Fair enough.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
Ah, Daikatana. Every now and then you rear your ugly head.

I get a sort of sadistic pleasure every time someone unearths this travesty of a game. A good friend of mine was a programmer on the Daikatana team. On the original engine, that is. When he left to pursue other things they threw out all his code. The new code is what the public saw in all its glory. Whenever this topic gets dug up, some evil part of me makes sure my friend sees it. It happens every few years.

Romero himself is still fairly active. I know because Facebook has decided to make sure I see everything the friends of my friends are up to and there seems to be no way to stop it other than leaving Facebook. But, like a battered wife, I stick around and watch the show. I don't think this game ever really dented his ego much. If it did, he hides it. Honestly, I find it hard to be too cynical about him. Daikatana was about as glorious a fuckup as can be had, but it didn't destroy the guy. As an indie developer, such a crippling failure would have devastated me. Then again, Daikatana was just a badly made game. It wasn't like he worked on Duke Nukem Forever. I would probably have committed suicide long ago if I had made something that tasteless.