Zero Punctuation: Dark Souls 2 - Prepare to Die Again

Invictus

Mar 26, 2014
So this mean he will d a "proper" review once he has finished the PC version? I can tell you the best parts of the game start after you get the 4 great souls...hell you are not even halfway done by that part.

Vicioussama

Jun 5, 2008
Aiddon said:
Under_your_bed said:
Hey, he said that Souls 2 was "easier for the noobs". As a noob to the Souls series, is it a good idea to do 2 first to get the hang of it and then do one? Any veterans got anything to say?
It does seem to ease people into the mechanics far easier. Plus there are no controller-throwingly-frustrating early game parts; there's nothing ANYWHERE near as irritating as the Capra Demon (the FOURTH boss of Dark Souls), and the gimmicks for areas have been brought down to a minimum. All in all, it feels WAY less cheap than its predecessor.
There was nothing cheap about its predecessor though. You could easily avoid any and all ambushes and traps by taking things slow and being careful. And Capra was annoying, but there were strategies that worked (a lot) and you could easily learn how to avoid the dogs when you entered then you're fine. People who think Souls was "cheap" are seriously in a need of "get good, son"

It's so sad how easy Dark Souls 2 is... and how they casualized the series :|

The Dead Singer

Feb 19, 2014
Also, one thing I thought Yahtzee didn't give enough credit to was how the mechanics for some of the bosses worked - Like, for example, during the Harvest Valley there's this serpent chick that you have to fight on a pool full poison (Which is mass serial killer murderous compared to how it was in Dark Souls 1), but if you find her windmill you can born it down so that the pool is emptied and the fight becomes vastly easier - It rewards the player more for further exploration, not simply with some potentially overpowered equipment.

It's true though, a lot of ideas are quite blatantly recicled (Though some of them may or may not be done for the sake of adding more complexity to the lore - See Ornstein), and definitely isn't as memorable of an experience as DS1 in terms of world design (I can't really remember the name of the any of the sections inf Dks2, where as I remember almost all sections from Dks1 pretty clearly), though that maybe because the world is now devided into tons of little pieces as opposed to huge areas with random save points here and there.

On the whole though, I'd say the game is a more than worthy sequel - I definitely think it would've been stronger with the original director still on the helm, and I cross my fingers for him to return, but for the most part the game has imrpoved in terms of mechanics and some of the secrets in it are some of the most clever things this series has ever done. Not sure which I prefer though... probably Dks1, but meh, why choose.

Also, I guess Yahtzee forgot about what happened in Demon's Souls when it came to the health bar thing... This game is pretty mercyful in comparison to that. In fact, this almost feels like a 50/50 combo between Dks1 and Demon's Souls, some of the stuff that was lost in translation from Demon's Souls to Dks1 are now back here (That lava dragon thing was in Demon's Souls as well, in fact, though it was a different one and it was larger - Plus, it's a bit more linear, just like Demon's Souls) - So that may be why Yahtzee wasn't all too happy with them.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
The 'real' version? So a shitty PC port which will require modders to fix just like last time? Ok then, if you hate the PlayStation 3 that much.

But this still convinces me that Dark Souls 2 will be worth a try once I've finally gotten back into Dark Souls 1 and completed it. Those dogs saying "yay" and "boo" were simply too adorable to not consider getting the game, despite the fact that they won't be in the game.

Vicioussama

Jun 5, 2008
The Dead Singer said:
Also, one thing I thought Yahtzee didn't give enough credit to was how the mechanics for some of the bosses worked - Like, for example, during the Harvest Valley there's this serpent chick that you have to fight on a pool full poison (Which is mass serial killer murderous compared to how it was in Dark Souls 1), but if you find her windmill you can born it down so that the pool is emptied and the fight becomes vastly easier - It rewards the player more for further exploration, not simply with some potentially overpowered equipment.

It's true though, a lot of ideas are quite blatantly recicled (Though some of them may or may not be done for the sake of adding more complexity to the lore - See Ornstein), and definitely isn't as memorable of an experience as DS1 in terms of world design (I can't really remember the name of the any of the sections inf Dks2, where as I remember almost all sections from Dks1 pretty clearly), though that maybe because the world is now devided into tons of little pieces as opposed to huge areas with random save points here and there.

On the whole though, I'd say the game is a more than worthy sequel - I definitely think it would've been stronger with the original director still on the helm, and I cross my fingers for him to return, but for the most part the game has imrpoved in terms of mechanics and some of the secrets in it are some of the most clever things this series has ever done. Not sure which I prefer though... probably Dks1, but meh, why choose.

Also, I guess Yahtzee forgot about what happened in Demon's Souls when it came to the health bar thing... This game is pretty mercyful in comparison to that. In fact, this almost feels like a 50/50 combo between Dks1 and Demon's Souls, some of the stuff that was lost in translation from Demon's Souls to Dks1 are now back here (That lava dragon thing was in Demon's Souls as well, in fact, though it was a different one and it was larger - Plus, it's a bit more linear, just like Demon's Souls) - So that may be why Yahtzee wasn't all too happy with them.
Been saying this for a week now. Next Souls game should have Miyazaki and the others that were involved in DkS1 and DeS back in charge and let the current directors be in charge of the combat system.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Evonisia said:
The 'real' version? So a shitty PC port which will require modders to fix just like last time? Ok then, if you hate the PlayStation 3 that much.

But this still convinces me that Dark Souls 2 will be worth a try once I've finally gotten back into Dark Souls 1 and completed it. Those dogs saying "yay" and "boo" were simply too adorable to not consider getting the game, despite the fact that they won't be in the game.
Yeah, well I'm buying the 'real' version and modding those cute dogs into it. Every time I die a little puppy will pop out and say "booo".

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I'm curious, for those who have played, how is the GUI on DS2? I found inventory management godawful in DS1 - not like hate the game bad, but avoid picking up drops bad - and I was wondering if it got fixed up with some sorting/stacking options.

Upgrading items was particularly unpleasant as I remember having to hunt for the items I wanted to mess with, and if I didn't remember upgrading beyond the smiths capability I would waste time seeking equipment I would never find.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Silentpony said:
I will never understand the cult that has started in the wake of these games. I played the first one and it was awful. Spent 6 hours getting absolutely nothing done. I think I found one campfire(but don't quote me because its such a miserably designed game it was hard to tell one spot from another)
Seriously guys, why is a game like this that waste your time so much considered the be-all, end-all of games but Final Fantasy 13, where you run down a hallway for 30 hours, is considered a horrendous insult to gaming?
As far as I can tell the only difference between those two time sinks are the graphics and FF13 at least wants you to play it. Dark Souls made it clear it didn't want to be played and I couldn't oblige it fast enough!

Haven't played DS2 but everyone says its just like DS1, so I'm going to do it a huge favor and just not buy it. Why waste both our times when neither of us are committed to having a good gaming experience?
Most fans of the souls series (including myself) enjoy the games because they harken back to older video games who treated you like a adult and forces you to learn patience and hon your reflexes.

And consequently the reason most people (again including myself) dont´enjoy FF13 is because it´s seen as a front figure for the pampering, curling parent style way players are treated as kids, to be spoiled and pampered.

Basicly Souls forces you to work for that feeling of being awesome, FF13 just hands it to you on a silver plater.

The Dead Singer

Feb 19, 2014
remmus said:
Silentpony said:
I will never understand the cult that has started in the wake of these games. I played the first one and it was awful. Spent 6 hours getting absolutely nothing done. I think I found one campfire(but don't quote me because its such a miserably designed game it was hard to tell one spot from another)
Seriously guys, why is a game like this that waste your time so much considered the be-all, end-all of games but Final Fantasy 13, where you run down a hallway for 30 hours, is considered a horrendous insult to gaming?
As far as I can tell the only difference between those two time sinks are the graphics and FF13 at least wants you to play it. Dark Souls made it clear it didn't want to be played and I couldn't oblige it fast enough!

Haven't played DS2 but everyone says its just like DS1, so I'm going to do it a huge favor and just not buy it. Why waste both our times when neither of us are committed to having a good gaming experience?
Most fans of the souls series (including myself) enjoy the games because they harken back to older video games who treated you like a adult and forces you to learn patience and hon your reflexes.

And consequently the reason most people (again including myself) dont´enjoy FF13 is because it´s seen as a front figure for the pampering, curling parent style way players are treated as kids, to be spoiled and pampered.

Basicly Souls forces you to work for that feeling of being awesome, FF13 just hands it to you on a silver plater.
That, and also what silent said about taking 6 hours to do anything - The game can be beating in its entirity in one, or maybe even less than that. So it had nothing to do with the game being slow or unfriendly, you just weren't good enough in it - And no, I'm not saying you should learn to beat it in one hour like speed runners, but if people can beat it in such a short amount of time, surely, someone has to be a little slow.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Hellz yeah, I'm waiting for the real version too, and good review.

I'm very worried about the inability to farm mobs as much! How... but... being able to farm and rake in the souls and humanity was the only sure thing I could count on in that game! It's how I cleared the whole game in my only playthrough without using any jolly cooperations.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Vicioussama said:
Realitycrash said:
I know that no-one can possibly answer this, but do you think the PC-port controls will be as horribly butchered (i.e REQUIRING A FUCKING CONTROLER) as the Dark Souls port was? Because I can't go through that again. I want to be able to map my own controls. I want a responsive camera and a a character that doesn't move like a stick-figure, and I want to be able to use my mouse and keyboard.
oh boo hoo, a game genre that plays better on a gamepad requiring a gamepad... I thought other PC gamers were used to having peripherals for their gaming? I know I am. You don't play a Flight Sim with a mouse and keyboard. You play it with a joystick. You play some games like this with a gamepad. What's the big deal?

There are no "mandates" for how to play a game on PC. There should ALWAYS be the option to use mouse and keyboard, and it should not be a gimped option. I shouldn't be forced to buy a gadget just in order to play a game. This isn't a console, it's a PC. If I wanted to play it on a console, I would play it on a console. If it is released for the PC, THEN I EXPECT IT TO WORK FOR A PC. I don't expect having to buy specialized hardware, and if I have to, it should be clearly marked before I purchase it.

And yes, I DO play flight-seems with a mouse and keyboard, and they work perfectly.

PhoenixUp

Mar 9, 2010
"Praise the Sun to jump." xD
If only the controls could be so grossly incandescent...

While I love Dark Souls 2, I cannot stand the stagger mechanic they've put in place. Wearing some of the heaviest armor in the game, you can still find yourself stun-locked by the weakest of enemies if you don't get your shield up in time. What's the point of being a "tank" if you can't withstand anything thrown at you? (Unless you are hit mid-attack with a high Poise stat, then you're ok. Because...reasons. :/)

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Trishbot said:
I am currently waist-deep in Dark Souls 1, around level 36 and doing everything I can to procrastinate going into the Depths and bumping into those Curse-spewing Basilisks.

It's a great game, but after HOURS, I'm about ready for the game to go "you want us to cut you some slack? Fine. Fine. Here's SOME slack. Not much. A little. It's all you get".
Bah, Basilisks are not really an issue even without good Curse resist gear. Just gotta be mindful of your footing.

OT: April 25th cannot come soon enough, it can't.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Oh good, someone finally called the OIK for what it is. My first reaction to that was literally "I just fought this boss in Lords of Shadow..... and it was the third boss there, not the 19th or so"

I'd call this one of the better reviews of the game out there, it doesn't skip over the flaws, but does still note that there is your basic Dark Souls experience underneath.

prats93

Mar 27, 2014
Deathfish15 said:
Love the mention of "the real version", as if to say that consoles are nothing more than bad versions of games that are clearly better on PC. Truth hurts.
Yeah i guess the truth hurts when you have to wait another month for a shitty and poorly optimized PC port with crappy mouse and keyboard controls, meanwhile the real Souls community have already finished the game that was originally designed for consoles, not PC. Truth hurts.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
prats93 said:
Deathfish15 said:
Love the mention of "the real version", as if to say that consoles are nothing more than bad versions of games that are clearly better on PC. Truth hurts.
Yeah i guess the truth hurts when you have to wait another month for a shitty and poorly optimized PC port with crappy mouse and keyboard controls, meanwhile the real Souls community have already finished the game that was originally designed for consoles, not PC. Truth hurts.
Seeing as the PC version isn't out yet it's too early to say if the port will be poor. Not to mention that if any of you saying this had followed ANY of the news about DS2, the you would know that its a PC game being ported to consoles. The PC version was the lead version of the game, and From is taking the extra month to make sure that they didn't screw up.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3107984

http://www.gameplanet.com.au/xbox-360/news/g51671efa40b72/Dark-Souls-II-PC-is-lead-platform-will-run-at-60-FPS/