Zero Punctuation: Dark Souls

Rinnk

Feb 25, 2014
It makes me so happy to see that Yahtzee finally "got" a DSouls game.

I admit that the Souls games do a piss poor job of explaining a lot of crucial mechanics, the PVP system is horribly broken (which is what actually allows for that douchebaggery by experienced players (note: a lot of small changes to Dark Souls 2 seem to be trying to address this)), and sparse bonfire/shortcut placement can make certain sections extremely tedious. But man, after playing playing both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, other RPGs and action games were ruined for me. I ended up loving the series that much. No other game even comes close to the satisfying combination of DSouls meaty combat, atmospheric level design, and unique online multiplayer functions.

So, thanks for giving the series another chance, Yahtzee. This video made my day.

Also, if you haven't tried out the DLC area of Oolacile yet, you definitely should. That ended up being my favorite section of the game.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
Looking forward to the dark souls 2 review in which yahtzee points out that the game hasn't evolved at all, and is frankly, a bit shit.....

The stuff that was forgivable when it was an underground cult game (bad controls, bad clipping and hitboxes, bad camera and lock on) is all still there. Yet now as a triple A release with their early access weapon dlc and massive EULA and constant check ins (calibrations? right.. you're not fooling anyone) there's no excuse for these issues, none. Let alone the new issues like unbalanced bosses.

Frankly, Dark souls 2 is a side step, not even refining known quantities let alone adding improvements. All we got was gimmicks like monsters that stop spawning (no more farming) to upping the difficulty by joining a covenant or burning an ascetic (i always thought ascetic was another name for monk or scholar..). Woop de doo.

Worst thing is, when i'm not wading through apologists ("it would be too easy if they fixed it" or they could ramp up the difficulty organically with smarter monsters, varied environments and the like) I'm aware that the amount of change my opinion, or "review" as it were, would bring about, is fuck all.