Zero Punctuation: Darksiders 2

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
GabeZhul said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
I quite like the series, I do agree though that making up two fake horsemen who make no sense is idiotic.
All right, this is something I didn't get since the day-one complains:
WHY is changing the name of two horsemen idiotic?! Everyone is complaining about this infinitely minuscule point like it was some huge-ass offense against common sense when it's just not! The series takes elements from judeo-christian lore aplenty, but that's just that: taking elements, not emulating the mythology!

We have magitech angels with griffins, demons with rocket-launchers, a female Uriel (hell, we even have a female rider!), giant dwarves, a World Three, sandworms, golems, the Corruption, a land of the dead that apparently operates on reincarnation instead of the heaven-and-hell formula and hundreds of other things that are sure as hell not part of the lore, and yet people still pick on this one idiotic point about the horsemen's name like it was some huuuuuge deviation. Just get your priorities straight, people. -.-
This is a big deal. You either don't bother borrowing ideas, or don't do it half-arsed way, like pointed in ZP. Trust me, if they make Darksiders 3 and the star is "Strife" suddenly sales are a whole lot lower.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
It's strange, whenever I read reviews I always get the impression that the reviewer just got into games or didn't started playing games for very long.

Yahtzee is the only one that I felt actually sees eye to eye with me. Perhaps because he played as much games as I did and as long as I did or perhaps he's not constrain to be impartial or politically correct.

Regardless, most people takes zero punctuation as a joke, call me crazy but it's the only review that I takes seriously.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Falseprophet said:
TheFederation said:
i'm disappointed to hear about the other two horsemen, i would really look forward to playing a game as famine or pestulence, it would be interesting at least.
I think the time delay on those guys' kills wouldn't have satisfied the average twitch-happy gamer:

FAMINE: I've burned your crops and salted the earth and a few months from now when your grain stores run out, you'll slowly die of starvation! Bwa-ha-ha!
In that case I imagine Famine-siders will step away from the rpg/ zelda completely this time and play more like Farm Simulator... only with less tilling and more salting.

Also there's this:

I won't lie; I could get behind this.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
lord.jeff said:
rayen020 said:
okay yahtzee how the hell do you hold the controller? and how many fingers do you have? you always complain about holding shoulder buttons and trigger buttons at the same time. that hasn't been a problem since The N64. I thought we all got this down during the PS1/PS2 era, thumbs do all the top of controller work, index for top shoulder, middle finger for bottom shoulder/trigger, ring and pinky for stability. you've complained about this in a few videos now and it's starting to bug me.
I thought to same thing watching the video, I've never had trouble hitting multiple shoulder buttons, though still a good review.
I'm on the other end of the fence I cant for the love of Jim Sterling hit multiple shoulder buttons on the same side like Yahtzee. This may be because I only owned a Ps2 and a Ps3 and most of the games I have owned were RPG's.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Lord_Gremlin said:
GabeZhul said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
I quite like the series, I do agree though that making up two fake horsemen who make no sense is idiotic.
All right, this is something I didn't get since the day-one complains:
WHY is changing the name of two horsemen idiotic?! Everyone is complaining about this infinitely minuscule point like it was some huge-ass offense against common sense when it's just not! The series takes elements from judeo-christian lore aplenty, but that's just that: taking elements, not emulating the mythology!

We have magitech angels with griffins, demons with rocket-launchers, a female Uriel (hell, we even have a female rider!), giant dwarves, a World Three, sandworms, golems, the Corruption, a land of the dead that apparently operates on reincarnation instead of the heaven-and-hell formula and hundreds of other things that are sure as hell not part of the lore, and yet people still pick on this one idiotic point about the horsemen's name like it was some huuuuuge deviation. Just get your priorities straight, people. -.-
This is a big deal. You either don't bother borrowing ideas, or don't do it half-arsed way, like pointed in ZP. Trust me, if they make Darksiders 3 and the star is "Strife" suddenly sales are a whole lot lower.
You apparently still don't get my point: They are not borrowing ideas as much as taking the basic framework and reimagining the entire thing. Yes, in the Bible there are no horseman called Fury and Strife, but guess what, in the Bible the horseman are not nephilim, they are all male, they are not superpowered agents of the Charred Council, their job is not upholding the "Balance" and they are actually not even people but more like disasters and concepts. So, again, Darksiders' horsemen are different from the Bible's horsemen to the point that the only similarity is that there are four of them and they have horses, yet all you complain about how their names are changed and how that's somehow "half-assing" it...? Am I missing a logical step here or is this really as silly as it sounds?

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
Considering all the rehashes, rewriting and translations the bible has gone through I wouldn't be surprised if the original horsemen were called Fluffy, Tiddles, Bubble and Squeak. Not really a big issue there.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
You have to admit that playing a video game as the anthropomorphic personification of famine or pestilence would have, at the most generous, niche appeal. On the other hand, probably not this, but another game could be quite entertaining if you were tasked with playing as middle-management of death.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The Critic said:
Therumancer said:
FantomOmega said:
vallorn said:
OverHaze said:
Darksiders has more in common with 80s Heavy Metal album covers than it does with Warhammer.

Besides there is much more to 40k than just rage. There is love for The Emperor, devotion to The Emperor, humility before The Emperor, fear of The Emperor, see lots of emotions.
Not to mention the Chaos gods who are themselves made FROM various squalid pools of congealed emotion (Anger/Hate, Hope/Change, Despair/Depression, Joy/Pleasure) Il let you figure out where each one goes.

Also Tau arnt really as warlike as the other races. More just aggressively expansionist.
I feel The Warp overtaking me, it is a Good Pain
Tha could also just you being over enthusiastic with a morphine drip. :)

That said I think Yahtzee's criticism of 40k is fair given the eyes he views it through... those of a video game critic. To be honest video games never seem to have touched upon much besides extremely violent clashes of troops involving groups like Space Marines and Imperial Guard pretty much "on the clock" all the time. To really dig into what's going on behind Warhammer 40k you need to look at things like "Rogue Trader", "Inquisitor" or various novels, and to be honest that is all secondary material behind the minatures game (which is all combat) and the video games that are largely out to duplicate the minatures game and of course be deliberatly mindless hack and slash.

From the perspective of your average Space Marine, what the forces of chaos represent and how they differ doesn't much matter. To really explore that in a heroic context you'd need to see it from the perspective of an Inqusitor from the Ordo Malleus who is allowed that kind of information to aid against fighting against them. The forced ignorance of Warhammer 40k is an interesting concept, but it makes experiencing the world through most characters dfficult, most of the lore behind Space Marines and such involving exposition in codexes and the like which has no real bearing on anything other than to maybe explain some minor bonus.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Yahtzee might change his tone on 40K by a little bit if someone would make a good Ciaphas Cain videogame. Seems like the kind of thing he might like.

Come to think of it, that game would be rather cool. It'd be a bit like Mass Effect, except that all the dialogue options wouldn't be "Idealistic/Good/Paragon vs. Pragmatic/Bad/Renegade"; but rather they'd be "Order Jurgen to do something", "take the piss out of someone/thing with a good snark", "Cover Ass", or "Lie Ass off". The combat portions would consist of hiding behind cover until the scary noises stop.
Well, Ciphas Cain only really works if you already have a considerable knowlege of Warhammer 40k knowlege, otherwise your not going to really get a lot of the satire or why some of it is funny. Also to be entirely fair, despite how it acts Cain has all the actual abillities to be a proper 40k Imperial Guard hero, he just doesn't choose to act that way. Over the course of the stories they have mentioned that he has talents like a peerless sense of direction, and happens to be a masterful chainsword fighter, having gone head to head with a Chaos Marine (until Jurgan shot it if I remember) for a while. He's also got some pretty crazy allies which justify his survival.

Yahtzee wouldn't really "get" all of that given his complete lack of knowlege on the subject, only being familiar with Space Marine stuff. To sort of "get" Cain I think you'd need to at least have to have read the Gaunt's Ghosts series (or some of it) to see how the hero-commisar is supposed to function by default, before you can really understand how truely Borked Cain is, it goes a little beyond general military parody (though I suppose it can be appreciated to some extent on that level, which would be missing a lot of the specifics that make Cain the fan favorite it is).

Onliuge

Aug 9, 2012
I would still like to see him play Magicka since it is one of the few cheap yet incredibly fun games that I've ever played. Plus it can be played with some mates which will create hours of fun including revenge, gore, and at the end of the day make you hate friendly-fire. Just my thoughts.

Karnot

Mar 25, 2012
I never cared for Darksiders 1, I saw reviews and lets plays. But I just thought meh screw I dont like it all. I bought Darksiders 2 because I thought being able to play death sounds cool.
And I am really pleasantly suprised by Darksiders 2.

I like the dungeon crawling parts I like the little platforming bits. At first I thought oh god I think I just bought another pile of kaka. But I am really liking the game personally. Of course its has its flaws.

But I noticed I really liked this game when I thought: "lets play some darksiders 2" I started at 22:00. And when I checked the time again it was already 03:30. And this happens all the time, I think I will play for an hour or two but I keep ending up playing it 4 or 5 hours.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Can't spell Ben Yahtzee Croshaw without Cros :p
And Fractal Pading?
More like "Frak! Dull Padding" AmIright?
Yes, you are correct, sir! This game looks as designed-by-committee-of-1990's-comic-book-artists as the 1st one. There's no mirth or levity to be found.