Zero Punctuation: Darksiders

GunStunt567

Oct 19, 2009
I agree, i made a similar post earlier. If anything they should be deemed DMC clones...

Game about an overpowered character chopping their way through hordes of demons/angels/mythical creatures, harvesting their souls to use for currency to buy more combos, weapons and ways of dealing an OTT death?

Hate to sound petulant guys but God of War does all this and DMC did it first. Only notable addition was an emphasis on QTE's in combat....whoopee...

Noone From Nowhere

Feb 20, 2009
What I want to know is why anyone would bother calling Darksiders a God of War/Legend of Zelda mash-up/rip-off when God of War itself is a mash-up of elements cribbed from Rygar, Devil May Cry and Legend of Zelda.
That's just redundant!

sln333

Jun 22, 2009
Man, you ripped that apart and apparently with good reason. I played demos of Dante's Inferno and Bayonetta and you're right there. Dante is just a less muscular version of Kratos.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
To burrow a phrase from Linkara. Dangerous amounts of the 90's concentrated into one character. I am surprised that he did not have a gun to go with it.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
DannyBoy451 said:
*Sigh* Okay, which one of you guys started the thread?

http://boards.4chan.org/tg/res/7684353
Probably just one of the many trolls infesting /tg/ right now.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I don't see why he's so mad at ripping off God of War which was essentially a Devil May Cry rip-off. At least give credit where credit is due.

gamepopper101

Aug 12, 2009
"the character design looked like someone sat down, started drawing and never fucking stopped!"

That is the best opinion on an art-based medium I've ever heard! I'm laughing to much at the opinion to hear the rest of the review.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Never knew you could use the word "god" so much, and immediatly link it to "of war"...

He's getting pretty worked up over the next 4 weeks isn't he?

Can't weet till the actual GoW3 review, he's gonna be piss angry by then.

Inriri

Jun 4, 2008
AC10 said:
I don't see why he's so mad at ripping off God of War which was essentially a Devil May Cry rip-off. At least give credit where credit is due.
Even then, wouldn't Devil May Cry be considered a rip off of older games like Fighting Force?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Inriri said:
AC10 said:
Even then, wouldn't Devil May Cry be considered a rip off of older games like Fighting Force?
I suppose yes, though DMC really nailed the idea of really stylizing the fighting into flashy moves and stuff. I think most people see DMC as the "origin" of the modern 3D hack and slash, but it obviously owes ideas to the 3D and 2D beat 'em ups.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
To be honest, I thought Darksiders was a PS3 only game. Now I know it's on 360, I'm skeptical. Thanks Yahtzee.
thus explains your 4000+ posts

haha no but seriously, I just never got into this genre
the only game of its type I own is Wolverine Uncaged but that's only cuz I liked the character (and it was on sale)

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Couldn't be arsed reading through all the comments...

I don't know where I got this idea but I'm sure Devil May Cry came before God of War and Bayonetta is... well seriously, it's devil may cry with tits and ass. And by Yahtzee's description that would mean god of war is Devil May Cry in a loin cloth... and bald. Which would mean darksiders is, well, that is God of War... and zelda... and portal.

From what I gathered from reviews of darksiders the mish mash of "hommages" is an endearing quality, although i was weary of how good a game that throws "been there done that" situations at you as the actual experience and not hideing it as a gimmick.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Ragsnstitches said:
Couldn't be arsed reading through all the comments...

I don't know where I got this idea but I'm sure Devil May Cry came before God of War and Bayonetta is... well seriously, it's devil may cry with tits and ass. And by Yahtzee's description that would mean god of war is Devil May Cry in a loin cloth... and bald. Which would mean darksiders is, well, that is God of War... and zelda... and portal.

From what I gathered from reviews of darksiders the mish mash of "hommages" is an endearing quality, although i was weary of how good a game that throws "been there done that" situations at you as the actual experience and not hideing it as a gimmick.
As I just said above, many people consider DMC to be the Origin of the modern 3D hack and slash. Bayonetta is made by the same director so there is no way it rips off God of War, as God of War rips off DMC.

JayDeth

Dec 18, 2009
What's funny is that I think this game just came in the mail today for my room mate. I wonder if I should just tell him that ZP didn't go up this week.

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
That was one of the most epicest ZP's I've seen recently.

Loved the "Walking coral reef"-part and "I AM A MONSTER TRUCK THAT WALKS LIKE A MAN!"