Zero Punctuation: Dead Space 2

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
I think that Yahtzee never got to the end of ch 13 (I think its 13) if he honestly believed that cutting off your pinkie in heavy rain is worse than anything DS2 can offer.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
I fully expected him to dislike it as he did the first one, but:

-The level he claims was copy-pasted, wasn't at all. They completely redressed it.

-You cant ask them to be realistic AND have zombies. They aren't physically possible at all! To use our eyes/any of our senses, you need our brain, which needs our circulatory system, which needs our heart and lungs, which needs energy, which needs our digestive system, which needs pretty much every other system. Thus, it needs us to be alive. Any such virus would take years.

-As the guy above me mentioned, there is something far worse than cutting off your pinky. I cringed, a lot.

-I LOVED that the devs let you kill babies. I hate when games lock you out from it

2) I want a monster like Nemesis from RE3 a monster that you meet in the first hour but constantly stalks you it should be slow but indestructible
See final chapter, there is one.

I loved DS2, moreso than the first one. It's the perfect proof that a silent protagonist is not better than the alternative. I emphasized with him far more and even cried at 2 points. The game is brilliant.

And in closing, fuck innovation. Change for changes sake is not a good thing. DS2 however, is a good thing. I'll take an awesome game over an innovative crappy one any day.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
enriquetnt said:
Ill have to agree with the whole voice over thing, one of the things that make the first game so cool was the fact that you didnt know how isaac looked or how it sounded like, it somehow helped to get YOU in the game
No. It actually helped you NOT get in the game. It made him feel like a puppet instead of a person. Silent protagonist is just another term for lazy writers.

I LOVE that he has a personality now. I emphasized a LOT more with him because of it.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Duffeknol said:
I'm so glad Yahtzee agrees with me completely when it comes to Dead Space. Now I can rub TWO video's in the face of everyone who calls Dead Space 'super f-in scary bro'.

That is a very good thing.
And they can rub a thousand in yours.

Your move.

Perfice

Jan 18, 2011
I thought the game was awesome, he put too much emphasize on the horror aspect though. It's suppose to be scary but the game was never meant to be 'shit-your-pants' scary. DS was always meant as a survival horror where it's as though your playing an action hero. And games usually have some sort of physical flaw. In Amnesia you can swing chairs around all day as though your character was a contender in the Mr. Galaxcy contest or something.

Perfice

Jan 18, 2011
Kroxile said:
I think that Yahtzee never got to the end of ch 13 (I think its 13) if he honestly believed that cutting off your pinkie in heavy rain is worse than anything DS2 can offer.
There have been a few reviews of his I've seen that seems like he doesn't beat the game before writing his review.

Gentleman_Reptile

Jan 25, 2010
Gotta say, I dont always agree with Yahtzee but with this I'm on his side 100%. Dead Space posing as a seriously suspensful horror game is like having Charles Manson as a male nurse.

It's blatantly obvious that it doesent belong and does more harm than good.

Wtd

Feb 2, 2011
Haha i hate games that make monsters come out of things that have no way in or out of the inside.

asam92

Oct 26, 2008
Yahtzee couldn't be more accurate on this one. The first game was shit, and this one (i was stupid for even giving a chance) is a slightly less shit version of the same game, ITS NOT SCARY AND ITS NOT GOOD!!!!
Are EA even going to try and release a half decent game over 2011, it's looking bleak so far.
I am hopeful for Mass Effect 3, bulletstorm or crysis 2, but I wont hold my breath.
I am glad THQ is really stepping up to fill the void. Homefront, Saints Row 3, Red Faction Armageddon and WWE All Stars all look sick for 2011.

stefani_saturn

Feb 10, 2011
i love these reviews, even if i don't entirely agree with them in some cases. i thought this was a pretty great game

SirCrimsonFox

Feb 10, 2011
Finally someone else that feels the same way about games especially horror games. When I first played Dead Space there were bits of it and I mean bits that I thought "oooh this could get creepy. This could get good." and I just kept waiting. But it never did. It tried to beat me over the head and say LOOK AT ME I'M SCARY! AREN"T YOU SCARED YET? LALALALALALALALA LOOK I'bve got SKINNY LEGS AND SHARP TEETH RAAAAAAAAAAR! Someone was SO SCARED OF ME they scrawled a mesasge in BLOOD on the wall. You've never seen THAT before!" and by never I mean you've seen it so much that it's transcended horror and was then used in comedies to make fun of what is distinctly UNfunny and UN scary about horror that isn't horror. Meanwhile the gameplay really just blew. It contained the one thing of FPS's that will always turn me off....level design that gets me lost. I don't like having to retrace my steps 50 times to find the ONE corridor I didn't see before and even with the help of the glowy line pointing the way it still messed up and occasionally pointed to an inanimate object signifying I should twiddle it but would occasionally get it wrong and point to the WRONG object so that I ended up juggling some pencil sharpener instead of actually pushing the elevator button. OH that's an elevator button? It looked like shit!

SirCrimsonFox

Feb 10, 2011
Haunted houses by the way have gone the same way in the past five years and now each and every one contains a scene in a child's bedroom. Of course they usually put a crying girl in it and some unscary clown going "BOO!". Heck way back in American McGee's Alice (another total shit game that tried to "BE SCARY") did a lot of babies nailed to things and such. (yawn)

I actually loaded up Doom 3 recently to try it out on my new computer and it's the same crap that you speak of. Instead of all the monsters coming out of air vents, they come out of "monster closets", a delightful phrase I found online to describe EVERYTHING that happens in this game. You walk down a hall, you see some weapons or a computer, you pick it up which triggers a wall to open behind you and out pops a monster that gives you a backscratch with its teeth. Wash rinse repeat. What are they doing in there? If they were in a closet with no door, why haven't they starved to death? If all these scientists were so bloody behind in their work maybe they should have gotten on with doing their work instead of building all these secret doors and closets. Have the monsters even told their parents yet that they are coming out of...oh never mind...

Perfice

Jan 18, 2011
SirCrimsonFox said:
Finally someone else that feels the same way about games especially horror games. When I first played Dead Space there were bits of it and I mean bits that I thought "oooh this could get creepy. This could get good." and I just kept waiting. But it never did. It tried to beat me over the head and say LOOK AT ME I'M SCARY! AREN"T YOU SCARED YET? LALALALALALALALA LOOK I'bve got SKINNY LEGS AND SHARP TEETH RAAAAAAAAAAR! Someone was SO SCARED OF ME they scrawled a mesasge in BLOOD on the wall. You've never seen THAT before!" and by never I mean you've seen it so much that it's transcended horror and was then used in comedies to make fun of what is distinctly UNfunny and UN scary about horror that isn't horror. Meanwhile the gameplay really just blew. It contained the one thing of FPS's that will always turn me off....level design that gets me lost. I don't like having to retrace my steps 50 times to find the ONE corridor I didn't see before and even with the help of the glowy line pointing the way it still messed up and occasionally pointed to an inanimate object signifying I should twiddle it but would occasionally get it wrong and point to the WRONG object so that I ended up juggling some pencil sharpener instead of actually pushing the elevator button. OH that's an elevator button? It looked like shit!
LOL, WTF? I played the game twice already and I never had any kind of problem finding out where to go. There's a glowing line on the ground that tells you the ONLY direction you can go. The elevator buttons are big glowing screens in dark rooms that say PRESS ME. That is hilarious man, I gotta tell ya. You gotta get friggin telescope glasses or something because this is one of the easiest games I have ever played in 15 years to know where you need to go.

EDIT :: Thanks man, that was more hilarious than the entire review was.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
Loved the last text sting. Theoretically Isaac is using "industrial tools," but really they just slapped a new name and a boxy look onto a bunch of futuristic weapons. I'm reminded of Infamous, which just renamed all your standard FPS guns with a lightning theme.

Come to think of it, there's no real reason for the mining ship in Alien to have portable flamethrowers. If you want to protect yourself against space pirates, guns work a lot better. If you want to burn things, you'll want it on an industrial scale.

Kyouki1980

May 26, 2008
Sadly I have to agree with good old Yahtzee today. Dead Space, either one, was not terrifying in the least. Dont get me wrong I really enjoyed the first one but it was about as terrifying as a pet dog farting itself awake then it looks around wondering what the hell it was that woke it.
SPace is the perfect place to set a horror piece. Why? Cause you have no where to run to. ABSOLUTELY NO WHERE! Your stuck and you no it. SO its either find a way out or get horribly mangled. Or in the case of one of my favourite movies "Event Horizon" (GO WATCH IT NOW) the characters face the horrible prospect of being sucked into a world of nightmare and abject torture. Oh wait... that was a spoiler. AH well, you guys are never actually gonna go watch that movie anyways so it doesnt matter. If you DO watch the movie now then good on you ^_^ Your now my bum chum.
WAIT! DOnt go readers! I had a point! Ok it was exactly the same point that Yahtzee made about dead space being NOT scary and how the monsters keep leaping out of the SAME vents everytime so you always knew when they were coming making the game even less scary.... oh... oh dear it seems I just made my point. Oh well. Nevermind. Its ok, you can go now. Nothing to see here.
Bye bye. *Waves*

*Whispers to self* Tossers >_>

^_^

Kyouki1980

May 26, 2008
Robyrt said:
Loved the last text sting. Theoretically Isaac is using "industrial tools," but really they just slapped a new name and a boxy look onto a bunch of futuristic weapons. I'm reminded of Infamous, which just renamed all your standard FPS guns with a lightning theme.

Come to think of it, there's no real reason for the mining ship in Alien to have portable flamethrowers. If you want to protect yourself against space pirates, guns work a lot better. If you want to burn things, you'll want it on an industrial scale.
Would Napalm be considered a space based mining tool do you think? ^_^

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
archabaddon said:
Human Centipede reference FTW!

Also, another excellent write-up. Looks like the game could be fun, if not over-the-top in-your-face with the whole horror bit.
Yeah, *shudder*. You probably did more to spook me with that Human Centipede reference than the actual Dead Space 2 game could.

I am noticing a serious trend lately to not have "silent heroes". I seriously think this trend can be directly traced back to you, Yahtzee! And in some cases, it is good.

I'm looking forward to Bioshock Infinity with the voice of Garret from the Thief series piping in again as I await the next actual Thief game. And then in other cases it is bad. Bland or horrid voice actors that make you want to mute the game are not a benefit. Sometimes you really do want to imagine what your character would sound like rather than have it pre-picked for you. But, for good or ill, I think it will be the big trend this year. And I think you get all the credit for it.