Zero Punctuation: Dead Space 2

CronoT

May 15, 2010
Delusibeta said:
Unsurprised at the number of references to your Dead Space 1 review, since from what I've heard Dead Space 2 is really quite similar.
From all the reviews I've heard and read, Dead Space 2 is mostly Dead Space 1 with an extra helping of bland thrown in. The game actually punishes you for letting the enemies get up close so you can use the dismemberment tactics.

Silent Hill 1 and 2 were the last games to get atmospheric horror right. Silent Hill Shattered Memories did a decent job with it, but it could have done better.

dragonshardz

Mar 22, 2010
I still can't decide whether he liked it or not. Oh wait.

edit: On a side note, people being too harsh on Dead Space for it in itself being a third person shooter with a horror setting and some horror inspired elements instead of being an actual horror survival game, should accept the game for what it is and move on.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Reminds me of a guy I used to work with. Have you played Dead Space yet? Have you? Now? I finally played Dead Space Extraction and that was more than enough to convince never to pay 5 dollars or whatever to experience the HD version. It's just too damn much. Not the price, but the tone. It just piles it on over and over again, almost as if to say "Hey, this is all we got. Boo." It just tries too hard. I think I'll save my money for the chance to one day play an xbox game set in the land of chocolate lesbians. You wouldn't believe what you have to do to get to the cream filling.

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
Personally I think the game fails as horror, but is awesome as an action game. The free-fall sections, the jetpack flying and the overpowered circular saw gun don't seem to have much to do with horror, but are very action-y.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
I'm so glad Yahtzee agrees with me completely when it comes to Dead Space. Now I can rub TWO video's in the face of everyone who calls Dead Space 'super f-in scary bro'.

That is a very good thing.

AssassinJoe

Oct 1, 2010
HankMan said:
Oh but Yahtzee they ARE trying to provoke you.
Haven't you heard what people are saying about you?
SSSHHHHHHH! We're not supposed to talk about it when he's around!

Xsist

Jul 20, 2009
CronoT said:
Delusibeta said:
Unsurprised at the number of references to your Dead Space 1 review, since from what I've heard Dead Space 2 is really quite similar.
From all the reviews I've heard and read, Dead Space 2 is mostly Dead Space 1 with an extra helping of bland thrown in. The game actually punishes you for letting the enemies get up close so you can use the dismemberment tactics.

Silent Hill 1 and 2 were the last games to get atmospheric horror right. Silent Hill Shattered Memories did a decent job with it, but it could have done better.
Go play amnesia ;) thats atmospheric horror at its

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
Human Centipede reference FTW!

Also, another excellent write-up. Looks like the game could be fun, if not over-the-top in-your-face with the whole horror bit.

Also, overused game mechanics (ie: vent monsters) just kind of ruin immersion. After a while, you just start expecting it to happen - which is when it stops becoming unexpected and starts becoming cliché.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
The "USG Here Are The Juicy Humans Yum Yum" is officially the greatest space ship name in the history of anything. I'm still laughing. xD

lumpenprole

Apr 15, 2009
Great review, hilarious and to the point.

The one difference I have with Yahtzee (and I'm not all the way through the game, so maybe I'll get sick of it) is that I do find it fairly scary, but it has more to do with the sound. I feel like both the Dead Space games use sound better than any games since Doom.

Just my opinion, though. Certainly stomping corpses into jam has gone from really screwed up to the first thing I do in any room. It's kind of desensitizing.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I told my friends that I wasn't particularly impressed with Dead Space, and they didn't seem to understand what I was saying. As if I was speaking a mix of two different languages with grunts. They kept talking about how it was the best game ever, quote: "The best horror game ever since 'Resident Evil 4'." and suggested that I really play it. Opposed to my just sitting at my desk, pounding the keyboard with sweaty fists,...and my eyes closed. Because I am obviously not aware of it's sheer glowing awesomeness. When I told them I was probably not going to get Dead Space 2 anytime soon they still didn't understand and pleaded with me to play the demo. I told them I'd 'look into it', but,....I'm not going to. I think deep down, they knew that.

This was a great review, and only backs up my decision to not play Dead Space 2. (But for some reason, it seems like he was holding back. I expected more review carnage.)

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Juicy humans ftw!

I'm surprised he didn't talk about the PC bugs at the moment or that punching is alot better now.
But still, great review.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Everything after the "wet wolverine" bit had me in stitches with laughter, especially the "clown" bit and the "are you scared yet?" bit.

I'm probably late posting this comment because I had to watch it twice just because I wanted to hear all that again.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Jacksoni said:
Its funny how every other game reviewer in the world says dead space 1&2 are horror masterpieces but they really aren't... I'm glad i can always count on yahtzee :D
So I googled if any game reviewer did call it a "horror masterpiece":

[http://img14.imageshack.us/i/deadspacemasterpiece.jpg/]

No major reviewer or gaming site called it a masterpiece.

Thanks for the hyperbole, brother.

Jan 27, 2011
FYI, Dead space can also mean "useless empty space in an ad"

I would know. I took graphic communications back in college and one of the things they told us was important was "white space VS dead space".

>_> Also, sucks that the game isn't ACTUALLY horror. Someone at EA needs to learn that jump-scares != horror.