Zero Punctuation: Dead Space 2

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
People need to realize that being startled is technically fear, at least within a biological sense. Flight or fright, 'm I right? Yes, the best of horror will use atmosphere to make you constantly freaked out, but if that's the case with almost example of media, you're a massive pussy. For example, if all this shit was going on in real life, you would be LOSING YOUR FUCKING MIND. The sight of a necromorph would make you shit your pants. But it's a game, or a movie, or a novel or what ever. It's extremely hard to make you feel like your there.

I felt that the atmosphere for Dead Space 2 was great. I was rarely ever afraid to go around a corner, but it looked great and played the part well. Also, there was one school in the game, and it wasn't very long. Not sure what Yatzee was talking about. You'd see a kids room every now and then, but people have kids. They exist. They never stopped existing or anything :O.

Also, I really liked the necromorph transformation. Again, if it were real life, you'd probably have a heart attack seeing that. I don't think a slow transformation would make it better for scaring you... at all. It'd probably make it a lot worse. It would increase story, but not horror.

Oh yeah, and EA had nothing to do with the game's design. Quit using the publisher where the developer should be used. (It's Visceral Games, by the way.)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I greatly enjoyed the original Dead Space, but I do understand why other people weren't scared of it. Personally, as I am not a big fan of horror, I went into Dead Space to try and get into the genre. I think it's a good game to get a start in the survival horror genre as it does give a feeling of dread and it has a great atmosphere to it. That said, the scares were mainly jump scares and it was more "OOHHH, look at how disgusting I look, look at me, woooOOOoo, there's blood, WOoowWO!!" kind of horror.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Soylent Bacon said:
I didn't find Dead Space any more frightening than Yahtzee did, but I still had fun and hope to get my hands on the sequel at some point.
That was my thought exactly, however after i am 50 £ poorer i can safely say don't it's insanely boring compared to the first game, for instance i haven't even completed it thats how freaking boring it is :S

If you like repetative combat against the same mobs from Dead Space 1 and no story then this game might be for you.

emusega

Jan 17, 2011
ahhh, I hate when the video is new and doesn't load yet. But I expect nothing good from this game, considering the review of the first installment ^^

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Regardless of his gripes, many of which do have merit, it's still a fine game. It's "survival horror" not straight up horror. It's supposed to be in your face and sort of tense. I mean, let's be honest here, how many games have been geniuely scary over the years? I can think of....three: Silent Hill 2, Penumbra(both games counting as one together), and Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Sure, some games have had scary moments, like Half-Life 1 and the other Silent Hill games, but most games aren't outright scary. Those three are scary because they don't try to be "slasher movie" scary, but "The Exorcist" scary, in which they fuck with your head and give you extreme paranoia. For example, in Silent Hill 3 I remember a scene where you walk into a small room, and find a diamond necklace around a mannequin, but it has no clasp and is too short to get over the mannequins head. So you start to walk out, hear a scream, and go back. The mannequin's head is now gone and there is blood all over it and the walls. Okay, that's pretty damn creepy, but most scenes before that are OOGA BOOGA BOO type shit. Compare that to Silent Hill 2, when you are being stalked by an unkillable beast of a man in Pyramid Head, and near the end of the game you discover there are two of him, and you can't kill them. Instead, they up and decide to kill themselves to let you proceed. Or just the much subtler bits that baffle you and freak you out, like the legendary graffiti "There was a hole here. It's gone now."

Dark.Kantian

Jan 31, 2011
Too bad to see Yahtzee getting on the "I don't like the Isaac voice over" bandwagon. Granted its not Oscar worthy, but it was about as good as game characters go.

And anyone who expected DS2 to be even remotely scary having played DS1 deserved a kick in the face. Which brings me to another point: how come we judge the game by what someone says it should be, in this case a horror game? True, its not all that scary, but its still one of the best shooters to come out in recent months. Take the game for what it is , not what someone tells you it should be.

Wet wolverine.... lol.

lumpenprole

Apr 15, 2009
Or better yet... if you weren't friggin' able to defend yourself. That feeling of squishiness is a pretty important factor in horror games.
That's actually the opening of DS2. I was thinking when I played it "Geez, this is totally in reaction to Yahtzee complaining that there's no threat in modern survival horror." You're essentially running around in a straightjacket trying to get away.

I dunno, his critiques are valid, but I still really love the game. I guess I'm not as hard hearted because the baby scene really creeped me out.

Then again, it's his job to be critical, and it's mine to have the best experience I can with my 60 bucks.

Bru09

Jun 9, 2010
Still can't tell if he disliked it or not, he mostly seems to judge it from the lens of survival horror delivered by Silent Hill 2. That being said, while I don't think that the game was "scary," it certainly was intense at some points.

Dore914

Jul 2, 2008
Dead Space is far from a "serious" game =P

though do have to admit though the seriousness of your reviews has completely gone and its all just for comedy now.

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
Jandau said:
The Ripper isn't overpowered, it's one of the crappier weapons IMO. It's unreliable, slow and did I mention unreliable?
I've made through the entire second half of the game using only the Ripper and the Plasma Cutter, and I only used the Cutter when it was really necessary (with the exploding babies for example, seeing as you can't let them get near you to use the Ripper). But on the other hand, I fully upgraded the weapon to do that, and was constantly using Stasis (especially with those Stalker Necromorphs that peek at you from corners and the sprint in your direction). But still, there were moments where I could defeat 3 enemies with a single shot.

On the other hand, I only used the Ripper, Plasma Cutter, Line Gun and Javelin, so I can't give an opinion about the other weapons like the Detonator or Flamethrower.

AngelSword

Castles & Chemo Founder
Oct 19, 2008
Hey! I can actually have some weight to my undue hatred of the franchise? Sweet! ^(^_^)^

Imhatepie

Dec 30, 2007
Lol you guys need to calm down about this game not being some sort of psychological horror masterpiece. It was never billed to be.

It's a TPS with horror elements, and it's a great game for what it is.

I dont see anybody criticizing zombie games for not being scary.

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
I though he was going to talk about "the steps" and Stross and/or Ellie, and also, that thing you have to do the last or second-last chapter or was fucking harrowing (for me at least), but I love fighting the Stalkers because they are just hilarious, except when they bullrush you and take ½ your lifebar away.
+ The upgraded Assault Rifle is also really good, but it can eat lots of ammo.

Edit: I hate those fucking babies and pukers

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
lumpenprole said:
I guess I'm not as hard hearted because the baby scene really creeped me out.
Holy crap, the baby scene was just creepy! I was looking through the window and thinking "Awww, maybe there is a trace of humanity in these thiOOOOOOOH MY GOD!!!" and shortly afterwards "OH CRAP OH CRAP THEY'RE EVERYWHERE GO AWAY GO AWAY!!!!"

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Exactly my thoughts on it. After around 10 more minutes (first level), I exited and deleted the game.

As for criticizing zombie games for not being scary.. it depends on how they are portrayed. L4D is a joke without a doubt, thus I don't care for bashing it. But Dead Space... tries so hard to be serious, yet uses totally unbelievable tools at it.