VoltanIgor

Nov 21, 2009
Oh come on, Yahtzee you love this game.
Of course you do you Australia based English bastard :D
You love it!!! I know.
I do too. :p

Kushan101

Apr 28, 2009
Very funny review this week, my personal highlight was: "One thing I said about Dead Space 1 was that it was as subtle as a clown with his cock out"
Made me laugh WAY more than it probably should

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
danpascooch said:
Moments like

When you see Nicole try to stab you with a syringe, and realize your insanity almost caused you to commit suicide

or

When the crazy guy (forget his name) comes out of the door with a screwdriver while you are hacking the door (the ONE time in the game you thought you were safe (after killing the enemies in the room of course))

or

When the gunship shows up and you go right from trying to escape the gunship to trying to escape a giant necromorph to tumbling through space
In other words you like getting shocked. Except for that last one which was just scripted gameplay. Now don't get me wrong scripted gameplay can be fun but it doesn't really matter too much in the overall game, since it lasted like 20 seconds, actually all the stuff you talked about lasts between 5-20 sec and it was all pretty much clips/video.

To anyone thinking about bying this game, please don't the game was awful and if you fall into the same trap as i which is, "man this game is easily just as great as the first one", then game studios might think that we want this kinda crap. Also anyone who is saying that it was a good game is either lying or an idiot.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
When I heard Dead Space 2 was coming out, I struggled to find words to express my indifference.
That's what Yahtzee is for, I suppose.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
the best weapon for clearing a room in my experience has been the force gun, that thing knocks over or just outright threshes most enemies in the game with just the normal fire, the alt fire on that thing is like insane it can take off a brutes arm or one of the tripod's limbs in one shot if you aim right. the assault-rifle was better this time around, though i dislike the fact that the grenade alt-fire uses so much ammunition. the javelin is disappointing, you do more impalement damage by using a tk'd pipe or claw then with a weapon designed to impale things. the flamethrower is useless, period.

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
I'd have to agree that I'm just not getting scared in DS2 - and I was looking forward to being scared out of my mind. So far I've run across a hand of startling moments, but I'm immediately ruining it by checking if something is trying to kill me. I will say that I'm kinda liking the mental breakdown moments.

I'm starting to notice Event Horizon inspirations in this game: Some of the service ducts (especially the L shaped on you get to turn) is like the service duct in the movie, and the dead wife with gouged out eyes is similar to Isaac's dead girlfriend/fiancee with no eyes.

One thing that I was saddened by when I noticed that DS2 team got it completely wrong was the the fire in zero G/microgravity.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Too many games on order, I put this one on my "wait list" to perhaps pick up when it drops in price a bit.

That said, a very entertaining critique of it, and yes I do agree with Yahtzee about how overdone violence and gore tends to ruin the impact compared to more realistic portrayals. But then again, I think that's the point, it's a variation on Tom and Jerry cartoon violence. Game companies don't have the guts to really try and scare people anymore, since that's an uncomfortable feeling, and if they impress jaded horror fans, the watchdogs who already hate video games will be screaming for their blood. Once in a while you'll see something like what "Heavy Rain" did for one scene, but for the most part the overblown violence and easily destructable corpses is a way of them being able to say "see, this is so ridiculous nobody can possibly take it seriously"... and that includes the people who want a seriously horrific experience from it. It's sort of like how EA responded to Fox News' recent criticism (of Bulletstorm) by listing their game content from "Bulletstorm" as a way of pretty much saying "this game is ridiculously stupid, you must be insane to take a premise like this, or anything in it, even remotely seriously".

The game industry, as it currently stands, is not likely to ever make a decent horror game. We won't see one until it undergoes some kind of renaissance.

Oh and the new ship name lacked the elegance of "Kill Beast Buffet". :)

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I don't really appreciate the spoilers. Now I feel like I'm always gonna expect the finger thing with Heavy Rain. Not trying to ***** but that's my thoughts

Oirish_Martin

Nov 21, 2007
Darks63 said:
ultrachicken said:
Ach, I hate those vents. Mostly because after a certain point in the game you can tell when a monster is going to pop out at you and where it will, yet you can't use your knowledge of the situation to kill it before it gets the drop on you. So, you're forced to willing go into their stupid trap.
Makes you wish you could have proximity mines, so you can set up and just walk away laughing as the stupid necro owns himself.
Maybe I'm not picking up on sarcasm here, but there is a new weapon on DS2 that allows you to do that.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Oirish_Martin said:
Darks63 said:
ultrachicken said:
Ach, I hate those vents. Mostly because after a certain point in the game you can tell when a monster is going to pop out at you and where it will, yet you can't use your knowledge of the situation to kill it before it gets the drop on you. So, you're forced to willing go into their stupid trap.
Makes you wish you could have proximity mines, so you can set up and just walk away laughing as the stupid necro owns himself.
Maybe I'm not picking up on sarcasm here, but there is a new weapon on DS2 that allows you to do that.
Really I havent started playing yet so I didnt know what weapons there are yet, if so this is yet another thing like preemptively smashing corpes which I will have to do in game.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
I laughed when the gunship just shoots the hell out of the unitology church when you finally, reach the top its especially funny when the churchy goon who's holding onto you just stares at you dumbfounded as the windows shatter and everyone gets sucked out into space, fucking hilarious.

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Whilst I concede that the game isn't really scary, it is very good at building tension leading into combat. This is definitely more Uncharted/Gears of War in space than it is Amensia: The Dark Descent, but that is fine for those of us who want to shoot something other than a terrorist or a zombie. Even though it isn't scary, you have to admit it's interesting, and very enjoyable as far as I am ( Chapter 10: The USG Here are the juicy humans yum yum so long as you're asking)

DeliciousCake

Apr 15, 2010
mrhateful said:
To anyone thinking about bying this game, please don't the game was awful and if you fall into the same trap as i which is, "man this game is easily just as great as the first one", then game studios might think that we want this kinda crap. Also anyone who is saying that it was a good game is either lying or an idiot.
Dear Sir and/or Madam,

Having provided points and an overly large textwall detailing things that I thought the second game improved on, I'm sitting here wondering why you didn't do something similar. You could have said: "I disliked this game because: x, y and z. I found the [Blank] to be [insert adjective here]. Therefore, I must say this game is [good/decent/bad]." Your complete lack of points illustrating why the second game is, as you put it, "crap", makes me wonder if you know how to construct a complex opinion. Secondly, I must say your last sentence somewhat bothered me. Having mulled it over, I conclude that you are saying something along the lines of: "Anybody who doesn't share my opinion is wrong and stupid." This, combined with your lack of evidence, makes your seem rather foolish. I wanted to let you know this in the hopes that you may gather up your reasoning and respond to me in the fashion of a gentleman.

Good day,
Sir Delicious Cake Esquire

sp86

Aug 17, 2009
mrhateful said:
Obvious troll is obvious. You don't like the game, your loss; by any objective assessment it's a solid game, and easily an early contender for one of the top games of 2011.

What do I mean about objective assessment?
*The metaplot is well-written, sadly the fact that people still thinking unitologists are the game's whacky cult instead of a conspiracy that cuts to the core of the setting just proves people aren't reading much into the game.
*The graphics from a technical standpoint are flawless, I never experienced clipping, visual lag, missing textures, distension or any of the usual hiccups.
*The art design, while not being the prettiest around is very suited to the game's atmosphere.
*The physics engine, while somewhat rudimentary adds a great deal of weight to the game. Things seem as if they have real weight to them, and for the most part behave realistically.
*The game combines several mechanics that would serve as other games single gimmick, telekinesis, hacking, Bullet-time, and even the much loathed QTEs (Though the presentation is occasionally changed up).
*Sound design and light design are both suitably creepy and in depth, and go a huge way to pushing the atmosphere.
*The multiplayer is a great addition, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
*The 3rd Person Shooter genre has by and large stagnated, becoming haunted by the success of Gears of War, anything that can be done to resurrect a great genre is welcome in my book.

I could go on, but those are the key bullet points.

sp86

Aug 17, 2009
Darks63 said:
Oirish_Martin said:
Darks63 said:
ultrachicken said:
Really I havent started playing yet so I didnt know what weapons there are yet, if so this is yet another thing like preemptively smashing corpes which I will have to do in game.
It doesn't just plant mines, you can use it as a grenade launcher. The Pulse Rifle also has a grenade launcher now. As does the flamethrower. The force gun's is gone though.

The real winner is the Hand Cannon though.

Sir-Bearus

Nov 10, 2010
Booo Hooo, this game isn't silent hill , and doesn't bore me to tears, booo hooo, it's not what I wanted it to be, even though it's so much fun, boo hooo, it's EA, therefore mainstream and thus must not like it.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
I swear that part of him getting paranoid, at the game talking at him, was creepier than he intended. :p

sp86

Aug 17, 2009
DeliciousCake said:
sp86 said:
The real winner is the Hand Cannon though.
I swear, that thing turns the game from action horror to full on comedy.
Pew Pew Pew BANG

For the uninitiated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O8R8iiOVPs

fisk0

Aug 19, 2009
Oh, I had been told that DS2 wasn't going to do the vent stuff that got really ridiculous only a few minutes into the first Dead Space.
All the air duct monster closets just removed every single bit of suspense from the game for me, instead you just noticed all the vents when you walked into a room and knew exactly where all the monsters would come from, and if any vents had not yet been opened by the time you were about to exit the room, you could be sure that it was a room you'd have to pass through again later.

I'll probably still get DS2 when it gets cheaper, I did like the setting and atmosphere in the first game, it just was very predictable and non-scary.