Zero Punctuation: Dead Space 2

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
shadowmagus said:
I leave...somewhat disappointed from that review. Maybe it's the fact that his rage was tempered by the game being a horror game in space with jet packs, but I honestly expected him to tear further into this.
You do know he *reviews* games. Not, rip them apart for lols? He just happens to be very blunt with his critisms. Perhaps you should watch something else.

~

To be honest, any game that's advertised as your "mom" hating it, will be a bucket of adolecent gorey fantasy.

sp86

Aug 17, 2009
scw55 said:
shadowmagus said:
I leave...somewhat disappointed from that review. Maybe it's the fact that his rage was tempered by the game being a horror game in space with jet packs, but I honestly expected him to tear further into this.
You do know he *reviews* games. Not, rip them apart for lols? He just happens to be very blunt with his critisms. Perhaps you should watch something else.

~

To be honest, any game that's advertised as your "mom" hating it, will be a bucket of adolecent gorey fantasy.
He's built a career on accentuating the negative, so to "rip them apart for lols" is a pretty good description of his business model. I like Yahtzee because he's entertaining, every Wednesday I come to the circus (as it were) to watch a monkey dance and throw feces, but it's only amusing: it's not enlightening or informative, and that's the end of it.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
scw55 said:
shadowmagus said:

~

I'm so glad you pointed that out, I had no idea /sarcasm

That said, I stand behind my former assertion that the game is overall weak and I expected he would review it worse and tear further into this....maybe even "for the lols".

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Well judging from your review Yahtzee, it seems like Dead Space 2 is a pretty safe buy for me. The first Dead Space was by far one of the best games i have played in recent times. Is it the best game ever? No, mostly because i dont believe in such a thing. However, it IS a really good game and at the time it was a fresh new IP in an industry populated mostly by sequels. Is it the scariest game ever made? Hell no! In my opinion, there are plenty of other survival horror games that are WAY scarier: Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Amnesia etc. In fact, i would define Dead Space as more of an action horror game than a survival horror game, with a big emphasis on the action part. And to everyone who are so obsessed with "proving" how these game are totally not scary: Horror is a subjective thing. So if somebody finds Dead Space to be the scariest fucking game ever made, then they have every right to think so.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
DeliciousCake said:
mrhateful said:
To anyone thinking about bying this game, please don't the game was awful and if you fall into the same trap as i which is, "man this game is easily just as great as the first one", then game studios might think that we want this kinda crap. Also anyone who is saying that it was a good game is either lying or an idiot.
Dear Sir and/or Madam,

Having provided points and an overly large textwall detailing things that I thought the second game improved on, I'm sitting here wondering why you didn't do something similar. You could have said: "I disliked this game because: x, y and z. I found the [Blank] to be [insert adjective here]. Therefore, I must say this game is [good/decent/bad]." Your complete lack of points illustrating why the second game is, as you put it, "crap", makes me wonder if you know how to construct a complex opinion. Secondly, I must say your last sentence somewhat bothered me. Having mulled it over, I conclude that you are saying something along the lines of: "Anybody who doesn't share my opinion is wrong and stupid." This, combined with your lack of evidence, makes your seem rather foolish. I wanted to let you know this in the hopes that you may gather up your reasoning and respond to me in the fashion of a gentleman.

Good day,
Sir Delicious Cake Esquire
First of all I would like to point out that just because you explained yourself in a text wall doesn?t make your opinion more valid since it?s about the context not the amount. Secondly in defense of my post as I can see how you can be a bit offended I?d like to add that I really am very disappointed with the game, and are in truth just trying to warn others.

Now I don?t blame you for not knowing this but I have written quite a few posts on why I don?t like this game, some of which are on the ?other? escapist review of the game, which does explain my opinion a lot better I think.

But since you?ve written me such a nice reply I thought I?d retread my opinion:
First of all the game is not a sequel but rather an extension since it doesn?t add anything new, the monsters are the same, the gameplay is the same, like corpses playing dead, mobs coming from holes, shoot limbs, pretty much nothing new or innovative, now obviously a game doesn?t have to be a completely new and different but it does at least have to add some new elements and to me it doesn?t do that(except for the jet pack which I felt was nothing special)
Okay that was gameplay, to me gameplay is important but it can?t really carry a game if a game lacks story and atmosphere then gameplay falls flat and eventually becomes tedious if it is as repetitive as DS2 is.

Story, in my opinion is the most important thing (Baldur?s Gate 2 is my favorite game after all), and this is where DS2 completely fails. Its story and I?m not talking about the acting, I?m talking about the story which you learn about, as you progress through the game, that thing that keeps you attached to your protagonist and makes you want to continue on.
Now I haven?t finished the game (quit about 10 min after the lady betrays you, just like in ds1, only done worse).

Basically the story which I got to learn was Necromorphs has come back, and you need to get to the lady, because you?re sick. And too me that just doesn?t cut it?s simply too thin especially after you finally get to her and some unknown ship kills her without any resolution, such a let down :(

After that disappointment that other guy(forgot his name), appears out of nowhere and says ?come to me?, and now you have to get to him, that?s NOT a good story, it?s a story specifically designed for one thing and one thing only: to get you through as many rooms as possible in order to force an stereotypically atmosphere down upon you, a nursing home haunted with deformed kids, a medical facility with insanity happening, etc. etc, I mean at this point why not a virtual reality machine that sends you to a haunted house with lightning striking outside the window.

Now you might think well if that?s your opinion on DS2 then you must really hate DS1, actually no because even though I don?t consider it one of best games, I was actually entertained all the way to the end, which to me is very important.

It certainly wasn?t a horror but it was new and refreshing, and had this almost unknown phenomenon called a story this where you in your reflection of the protagonist, experience different events and situations, in a crash attempt to make you become attached to your protagonist.

Now I agree with the popular opinion that your girlfriend had no effect however what did have an effect was the feeling of trying to get off the ship. Also if I can add just one thing DS1 became very silly towards the end which I felt DS2 just continued.

Hopefully this answers it all for you; normally it can be hard to explain why a game is boring simply because nothing is happening.

Sad day to you,
Overmind Hateful invasion

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
This was hilarious. I'm still buying it, but you did make a few good points.
One of the funnier reviews.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
I normally wouldn't make this kind of complaint, but I think that joke about the mountain climber who had to cut his arm off to survive was really off-colour, Yahtzee. Bad form.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
SalamanderJoe said:
I will agree that it doesn't really scare you, just makes you jump every so often or go, 'WHERE'D THAT COME FROM?!' If anythng, the one scene that did make me sweat a lot is...

Crossmy heart and hope to die, STICK A NEEDLE IN MY EYE
OH MY GOD YES. That was nightmare fuel. Also, I'm glad I beat the game before reading your post, because I can never help but look behind all of the spoiler tags.

CronoT said:
Delusibeta said:
Unsurprised at the number of references to your Dead Space 1 review, since from what I've heard Dead Space 2 is really quite similar.
From all the reviews I've heard and read, Dead Space 2 is mostly Dead Space 1 with an extra helping of bland thrown in. The game actually punishes you for letting the enemies get up close so you can use the dismemberment tactics.

Silent Hill 1 and 2 were the last games to get atmospheric horror right. Silent Hill Shattered Memories did a decent job with it, but it could have done better.
The dismemberment tactics worked at a distance...really the only weapons with a limited range are the saw and the flamethrower, for which it makes sense.

Also, I think I agree with the many people who say it's a different sort of horror game than silent hill. One thing Dead Space does really well is make you panic, by throwing fast things at you from all directions. Since only limb shots actually count, it also gets harder the more you panic and fire wildly. Combine this with very limited ammo and health, and the game gets even more desperate. Long story short, I liked it, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone who's looking for a new Silent Hill.

Xpheyel

Sep 10, 2007
foxyexplosion said:
It seems to me like Dead Space wants to be on the cheesy side of horror.
I don't know if that's deliberate or not but it is the way it comes across to me as well, in both games.

T3h guy

Jan 15, 2011
you have the best series ever! One thing about dead space 2 though. My friend told me the reason the plasma cutter fires shots like that is because Isaac fucked with it a bit.

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
InterAirplay said:
Accountfailed said:
Either that or he didn't really like it very much.

Just sayin'.
That could be it, but surely I'm not the only one who gets the feeling that he's just hating on it to stay consistent with his character. Which is shameful because I for one find him more entertaining when he's speaking about a game he likes. or even a game that was mediocre, like the original silent hill(oh yes, I went there. Come get me) but had some really good elements. It's annoying for me to see him slap a "sucks" label on every game except the odd few when most of them don't deserve it, and every fool who thinks them self "game savvy" because they watch ZP suddenly decides that they aren't going to buy it because Yahtzee didn't give it a 10/10.

typhon923

Apr 12, 2008
kind of agree i don't think the ripper is overpowered though, it's really only good when your fighting the little kids

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
I always wondered what Isaac's motivation was behind talking off his helmet every time someone was trying to stab him in the face.