Zero Punctuation: Dead Space 2

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
I dunno, I liked this one a lot better then the first. In the first one it was bad dudes every room. Although I wasn't sure if the evil ***** that is your mutilated TV wife was supposed to be scary because... well it wasn't =(

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
Dark.Kantian said:
Too bad to see Yahtzee getting on the "I don't like the Isaac voice over" bandwagon. Granted its not Oscar worthy, but it was about as good as game characters go.

And anyone who expected DS2 to be even remotely scary having played DS1 deserved a kick in the face. Which brings me to another point: how come we judge the game by what someone says it should be, in this case a horror game? True, its not all that scary, but its still one of the best shooters to come out in recent months. Take the game for what it is , not what someone tells you it should be.

Wet wolverine.... lol.
It is marketed as a horror game
It was designed as a horror game first, shooter second
Therefore judging it on whether it actually does a good job at being a horror game is perfectly fine and valid

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
May I remind Yahtzee (on his "survivors in the looney bin" point) that:
Near the end of your game Six Days a Sacrifice it is revealed that not-Somerset-guy ended up in an asylum as well... just sayin'
Feel free to dismiss my point in a video/column, just thought it was interesting.

enriquetnt

Mar 20, 2010
Ill have to agree with the whole voice over thing, one of the things that make the first game so cool was the fact that you didnt know how isaac looked or how it sounded like, it somehow helped to get YOU in the game (videogames are about transference "being" the character your playing whit, when a character have too strong a personality its impossible to completely transfer into it, DS1 is one of the most "in the game" game ive ever played, other great examples are ICO and Shadow of the Colossus) also remember the first Jak and Daxter, Jak didnt speak ONE line in the entire game and it was awesome, then on the second and third they tried to sell you this macho bs character and i didnt like one bit, same happens whit Isaac in DS2 everybody had "their" Isacc made up in theyr minds and theres no way that the game designers could beat that one, same happens when they adapt books to movies, no matter how good the adaptation is movie-makers cant beat the imagination of the people who read the books

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
"The Human Centipede" reference actually knocked me back for a bit there ...I actually had to stop and rewind three times just to make sure I saw that right O.O

Cor. Good Show Yahtzee :D bd

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I think you're getting the "second favorite location" thing wrong. Instead of the land of "chocolate-covered lesbians", it should have "bisexual women whose bodily fluids are chocolate".

Iconsting

Apr 14, 2009
I'm a little disappointed that Yahtzee didn't talk about how EA made the best Dead Space decision of all: No more turret levels! Seriously, I hear more people complain about that asteroid bullshit than anything else.

DeliciousCake

Apr 15, 2010
I thank you for remaining civil, good sir. If you wish, we may now engage in a friendly sparring of opinions so that we may both emerge more enlightened.

A WARNING TO READERS, THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS. ITS A BIG PART OF MUCH OF THE POST, SO IM TELLING YOU HERE: THERE WILL BE SPOIL.

mrhateful said:
First of all I would like to point out that just because you explained yourself in a text wall doesn?t make your opinion more valid since it?s about the context not the amount. Secondly in defense of my post as I can see how you can be a bit offended I?d like to add that I really am very disappointed with the game, and are in truth just trying to warn others.
Though my post was both text and wall, it had many good points in it. I'm going to assume you haven't seen it, but its near the top of page 4. Give it a read whenever you like. Though I cannot see how you can be disappointed with this game, unless you were expecting a mix of Silent Hill 2, Cocaine and God of Space War, but I can see how disappointment in a game can lead to somebody making such a statement.
Also, I would like to point out the irony that you too are explaining yourself in a wall of text, just like I did.

mrhateful said:
But since you?ve written me such a nice reply I thought I?d retread my opinion: First of all the game is not a sequel but rather an extension since it doesn?t add anything new, the monsters are the same, the gameplay is the same, like corpses playing dead, mobs coming from holes, shoot limbs, pretty much nothing new or innovative, now obviously a game doesn?t have to be a completely new and different but it does at least have to add some new elements and to me it doesn?t do that(except for the jet pack which I felt was nothing special)
Now, I personally felt that the jetpack was a nice improvement on the old zero-g mechanic. As for the no new monsters, there were actually quite a few. Allow me to list the new non-boss monsters
-The Stalker = http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Stalker
-The Crawler = http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Crawler
-The Pack = http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/The_Pack
-Cysts = http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Cyst
-The Nest = http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/The_Nest
-The Puker = http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Puker
-The Tripod (Though technically more of a miniboss) = http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Tripod

They all offer the need for different tactics and approaches...mostly. The Stalker, crawler, cysts, nest and tripod all have vastly different strategies than all the others, both the originals and other new ones. The pack is easy to kill, but they pack a punch and there are always lots of them. Puker is purely a ranged attack that hocks loogies made of acid at you, with the advanced form's vomit slowing isaac down.

mrhateful said:
Okay that was gameplay, to me gameplay is important but it can?t really carry a game if a game lacks story and atmosphere then gameplay falls flat and eventually becomes tedious if it is as repetitive as DS2 is.
I submit that shooting the same monsters again and again gets tedious and boring. Personally, I felt that DS2 mixes it up more with the enemies, locations and sequences which reduces the rather repetitive nature of the combat by quite a bit.

mrhateful said:
Story, in my opinion is the most important thing (Baldur?s Gate 2 is my favorite game after all), and this is where DS2 completely fails. Its story and I?m not talking about the acting, I?m talking about the story which you learn about, as you progress through the game, that thing that keeps you attached to your protagonist and makes you want to continue on.
Now I haven?t finished the game (quit about 10 min after the lady betrays you, just like in ds1, only done worse).
Hmmm, that is only like 2 hours in at most if you stopped after the betrayal. Now, I don't think the story is that bad, I personally think it was done better than in the first, which consisted of absolutely no story up until you find Challus Mercer and from there it's slowly revealed through logs and story progression, but it still felt, as a previous poster eloquently stated, "a giant series of fetch quests."

mrhateful said:
basically the story which I got to learn was Necromorphs has come back, and you need to get to the lady, because you?re sick. And too me that just doesn?t cut it?s simply too thin especially after you finally get to her and some unknown ship kills her without any resolution, such a let down :(
Now, that unknown ship was revealed to be a government gunship that's hunting down isaac. This is revealed around the time you're going into the church when isaac hears said ship and asks that woman what's going down. She says government goons are after her and isaac. The story with her is, as you might have predicted with the route she made you take, that she is a crazy unitologist who wants to use Isaac to make more markers and spread the necromorph infection. She says this to your face right before she dies a nice painful death. Now, after this betrayal is revealed, some questions arise to the player: "So...is Isaac's dementia really going to kill him, or was it all part of a glorious lie to get him to go to her?" "Why did that woman think Isaac can replicate markers?" "Is that why the government is after him?" "Who keeps throwing beef casserole all over the walls?" It's obvious that she was hanging the promise of a cure over Isaac's head so he could play into her hands and the government thinks that isaac is a big enough threat for some reason that they send gunships over to kill him and lock down entire sectors just to get him killed. Now as for resolution for these questions, you're only about two hours in, so to be fair you can't expect much resolution in the first 1/5 of the game.

mrhateful said:
After that disappointment that other guy(forgot his name), appears out of nowhere and says ?come to me?, and now you have to get to him, that?s NOT a good story, it?s a story specifically designed for one thing and one thing only: to get you through as many rooms as possible in order to force an stereotypically atmosphere down upon you, a nursing home haunted with deformed kids, a medical facility with insanity happening, etc. etc, I mean at this point why not a virtual reality machine that sends you to a haunted house with lightning striking outside the window.
His name is Stross or something. He talks to you earlier from across a big divide saying plot important stuff that for some reason I forgot. The gist was that scientists gave him and isaac mind altering drugs to suppress their memories. After that woman betrays you, he reveals that both him and isaac helped to construct the marker and stross is remembering how to destroy it. Isaac then resolves to help stross destroy the marker and end the infestation. So, there's the motivation. Now, I don't know about stereotypes, but up until you stopped playing, there was: a space loonie bin, a hospital, shops and a mall, residential apartments, cultist apartments, a creepy church (complete with a gift shop and torture rooms), cryogenic freezing chambers and a trash compacter.

mrhateful said:
Now you might think well if that?s your opinion on DS2 then you must really hate DS1, actually no because even though I don?t consider it one of best games, I was actually entertained all the way to the end, which to me is very important.
DS1 was a good game. There is no question about that. Near the end on the ishimura, normal combat became too repetitive for me to really enjoy it, but the hunter and the levels on Aegis 7 as well as the final boss were very well done.

mrhateful said:
It certainly wasn?t a horror but it was new and refreshing, and had this almost unknown phenomenon called a story this where you in your reflection of the protagonist, experience different events and situations, in a crash attempt to make you become attached to your protagonist.
I apologize, but I really can't see how anybody could become attached to isaac clarke in the first game. He was a silent protagonist whose only form of communication were screams of pain and fury when he's dying and stomping corpses respectively. There was also that hilarious thing at the end where they tried to make isaac look like he's in pain realizing that nicole is dead, but it honestly looked more like he was making a rather long facepalm. The story in DS1, though good, is revealed quite slowly, which really isn't bad, in fact the slow reveal with the betrayal of kendra at the end was nice. HOWEVER, I didn't see much difference in evolution of the story in the second game, besides it's better pace. Like I said above, the real story doesn't unfold until around the time you meet challus mercer. I like to think DS2s main plot begins unfolding earlier around the time when you're trying to get to that treacherous woman cultist. Oh and the only characteristics isaac clarke shows in the first game was his dislike of being in pain and his tendency to obey everybody's orders. In the very least, the second game added more characteristics to his character because he can speak...however, the only things added was his guilt over nicole (by the way, in the intro it's implied that he pushed her to take a job on the ishimura, thereby being responsible for her death in a way) and his desire to be left alone.

mrhateful said:
Now I agree with the popular opinion that your girlfriend had no effect however what did have an effect was the feeling of trying to get off the ship. Also if I can add just one thing DS1 became very silly towards the end which I felt DS2 just continued.
Dead space got a little silly at the end, but not enough for it to ruin the experience for me. I really don't know what in DS2 is silly, perhaps you could expand on that for me.

mrhateful said:
Hopefully this answers it all for you; normally it can be hard to explain why a game is boring simply because nothing is happening.

Sad day to you,
Overmind Hateful invasion
This statement about the game being boring is especially confusing to me. Not once was I bored in the entire time I played it. Near the end, just like in Dead Space, the combat becomes a little tiring but overall I was never truly bored.

RollingThunder

Nov 2, 2010
I want to try DS series (I never play DS before) but from Yahtzee reviews it seems like this game is like Doom 3 with all the lights turned on, CMIIW.

Ian Lutz

Jan 23, 2011
This is just one thing that has been bothering me about Dead Space 2. Everyone is saying that it has a jab towards Scientology in it, which for the record it completely false. Don't agree well take a look at this http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/02/03/unitology-dead-space-series-not-jab-scientology-says-visceral.

Now I don't believe in Scientology and don't plan to anytime soon. That said I did try my best to find out exactly what it was all about, so what do I do? I check the out the website for the church of Scientology and do you know what I found out? NOTHING seriously I watch a 30min presentation and they tell me nothing about their theology! I'm mean come on I bet if you asked a priest they would at least tell you something about the theology of christianity without forcing you to buy a bible.

So yeah I just wanted to say the Unitology (according to the creators) has nothing to do with Scientology If anybody can give me a solid comparison otherwise (with a credible source) then I guess the creators of Dead Space 2 did something they didn't plan on.

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
I don't know if it's is just temporary or not but I'm getting an error saying the video clip is not found. I'm really looking forward to watching this review. Any help?