Zero Punctuation: Dead Space 3

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Yeah, the Dead Space series seem to be going in the same direction as the Resident Evil series. More and more focus on action and co-op. Still, as long as the story is good, then I'm willing to forgive whatever faults the gameplay might have.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Aircross said:
I can only imagine "Solo Only" being called "tacked on single player" in the future where every mainstream game will have some sort of multiplayer.
*looks at BF3's "campaign"* What do you mean "in the future"? I can't think of anything more redundant and tacked on than a quicktime heavy shithouse single player experience on what is a multiplayer only series.

Squilookle said:
+1 for the Sooty shout out. snip
Do I remember that magic phrase correctly? Was it "Izzy wizzy let's get busy"? Because that is a magic phrase indeed. I'd play a Sooty game as long as I Sue and Sweep were playable characters.

czarevilsam said:
I thought that System Shock 2 was still a good horror game that had co-op play
Indeed. Part of that was there was barely enough supplies for one player, adding a second meant there was less to go round. Plus System Shock was menacing, more that reliant on jump scares and combat.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Damn. I was hoping they would make this their best yet since it's under attack by EA and their money goals. Unfortunately, they always pad out things and try to appeal to more audiences, killing the quality. So yeah, Dead Space.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
It isn't often that I disagree with Yahtzee, on survival horror, shooters and sandbox we seem to have the same tastes. He points out things I've been pointing out to friends for years, and suddenly everyone gets it. So it's always a surprise when I either don't agree with him outright (Wet) or don't feel he's giving a game it's fair due (... uh... I'm sure there was one, I'll think of it eventually).

Here though, Yathzee missed something fun by not exploring the co op. While it's true that the cooperative portions don't create tension very well (you know, something about you and a buddy rolling like it's the only form of forward motion that can exist, or stomping across a room while singing country music), the segments where you're playing a different game are very, very well done.

*********************************************** *****SPOILERS***** ********************************************

There are a few segments throughout the game where Cutter hallucinates while Isaac is unable to help. When my friend started talking about dead clowns, toy soldiers and birthday presents, I thought he might be cracking up. When he started shooting at things I couldn't see, I wondered if he was dicking around or the game was making him go mad. At the point where I had to defend him as he had a seizure (and after he died, when I used him to create a chokepoint and bounce rockets off his face into stuck nekromorphs) and frantically coordinate sharing health because damnit, he's doing a boss fight on his own and we didn't bring enough health (sold or moved to safe), those moments successfully created tension that wasn't in the single player game.

************************************************** ****END SPOILER WARNING********* ********************************

Also, dammit Yahtzee, take the difficulty to where it belongs. The game is actiony as hell on normal and only marginally tense on hard, but impossible is very much a survival horror game, just like it was on the first one.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
amiran123 said:
I do find it somewhat hypocritical when people keep complaining about all the generic shooters but then proceed to buy them and play them.

There's a reason they keep being made!
More realistically, the vocal minority makes a big stink about the stagnation, and the rest of the market marches on oblivious.

There have been a few instances of flagrant hypocrisy (cue the usual pic of "Protest Left4Dead/CoD/etc usergroup on Steam, with everyone playing the game they're protesting"), but some simple math will show the non-vocal consumer response must be much larger than those who are whining.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
"I wonder if there's a name for that?"

A Waste of Space.

(slow clap for genuine cleverness)

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
OuendanCyrus said:
The Dead Space games has never been horror but I still enjoy the series, to me, the "scares" in the Dead Space games is just the signal of the start of a battle, I also can't find myself be scared at all, the loud noises resembles that of an exploding building in a modern military shooter.

I like Dead Space 3's crafting system and the attempt of being a bit more open, but I don't like how considerably easy this game is, the game just seems to love throwing medpacks at you, at one point, I had around 20 medium medpacks in my safe that I don't think I ever used.

Just because you don't get scared doesn't mean it isn't horror . In my opinion , Dead space is an action horror game , NOT a survival horror . Unless you take survival in the most litteral sense, and if you do that then every game where you can die is a survival game .

OT: I loved the ending to this video , very clever.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Squilookle said:
+1 for the Sooty shout out- but we're all still waiting for that Farming Simulator 2013 review you surely have tucked away somewhere. Perhaps it fell down the back of the couch or something. Have you checked the sock drawer?
<youtube=gEJHrmliVQw>
Me and this video agree.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
I do not follow this game serie but from what I am seeing through previews and reviews, they aren't doing it right. It being 'space horror'.There is definitely something to work with here. What (I think) is scary about space is the enormous vastness and emptiness. Another remark I have, why is the modern, state of the art spaceship so dark? Why not make it brightly lit and neat and tidy like in Moon and 2001:... . There should only be you and your mind (and maybe some sort of AI running things). Of course this would be hard to pull off. Not every development team has a Kubrick or Lynch in there ranks.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
Reynaert said:
I do not follow this game serie but from what I am seeing through previews and reviews, they aren't doing it right. It being 'space horror'.There is definitely something to work with here. What (I think) is scary about space is the enormous vastness and emptiness. Another remark I have, why is the modern, state of the art spaceship so dark? Why not make it brightly lit and neat and tidy like in Moon and 2001:... . There should only be you and your mind (and maybe some sort of AI running things). Of course this would be hard to pull off. Not every development team has a Kubrick or Lynch in there ranks.
I think a Silent Hill style game set in space could work very well. Maybe on a moon base or space station. And you're the only human character there. In fact screw Dead Space, let's make this.

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
Dead Space was never a horror game. It was an action game trying to be a horror game but never managing it for even a moment.
I guess they just decided to drop it and focus on the action. And I thought it was okay for the most part.

Want horror? Play Amnesia. Play STALKER. Or Penumbra. Or New Vegas with the ExistenZ mod. Play fucking anything that understands that human fear goes beyond "ew that's gross" and "oh wow, another monster spawner vent" and "oh, more scare chords".

Lucid_Camel

Feb 19, 2013
mm anybody know How was EarthGov was so easily overthrown and narrowed down to 4 people?. None Horror aside its an ok action game, anything with status equiped to the boomtube. kinda makes every other weapon useless.Was expecting a twist like, the red marker wasnt a complete copy, where the black marker would reanimate people the red one would do the same but slightly different.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Sylocat said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Luckily the series ended just as I was running out of sci-fi authors
Oh please, you think they're going to stop making Dead Space games, if the third one sells even remotely well?
EA's said they'd take the series out behind the woodshed if it didn't sell 3m copies.

Aaron Sylvester said:
Jim Sterling is a HUGE Dead Space fan isn't he? What did he have to say about this game?
He gave it an 8/10. The review's over on Destructoid.