Zero Punctuation: Dead Space

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Dead Space

This week Zero Punctuation explores the USS Kill Beast Buffet and reviews Dead Space.

Watch Video

PandyBear

Oct 24, 2008
As much as i love this game. i gotta agree with Yahtzee on this one.... like always xD

Flatlander57

Oct 15, 2008
I actually didn't find anything particularly funny about this review.
Maybe I just need to watch it twice...

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
"Like fighting in a tumble dryer with a Shoggoth."

Best line of the review!

gamer_award

Oct 1, 2008
aaa, Yahtzee, admit it, u love this game:pmany people sayd this game will be a pice of...... before it eaven got out, but now lock at it, it cool.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Oh wow! An original game concept about deep space and zero-gravity! ...Wait, it's another Aliens rip-off. Sigh.

Spot on about characterization. I'm not going to sympathize with someone just because I'm told to.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Dead Space is indeed scary until you realise you can cut of ALL their limbs off. And the fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me really kicks in when they expect you to fall for the vacantly dead creature. It was fun, but the moment I got my hands on fallout 3 I forgot I even had it installed. The only scary thing about the game is indeed the soundtrack, it's the only thing that keeps chills running down your spine somewhat. Awesome review yahtzee, hit the bullseye.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Damn, I was hoping for a Fable 2 review. Oh well this review was still good although not great. I hope we get a Fable 2 review next week and if we don't then Yahtzee better have a bloody good reason.

Pastey Old Greg

Jul 2, 2008
Thank you for ripping on the crappy, dingy space station cliche. I always wonder why people who rip on WWII games will agree to buy 12 sci-fi space station tour games every year.

Necromaniacal

Oct 2, 2007
I think he was a little OTT with this one, the game is good, the story sucks a fat one granted but its a survival horror/action game, its going to suck, you just ignore the story and tear some aliens to bits.
But hes is rather spot on, im hoping when he said still hurt on silent hill, he meant he went ott on the next survival horror game he found

*Shrugs* funny though

Feb 13, 2008
Naff music intro.
Good review, another one to the 'buy only on Steam at $4.99' pile.

However...

We didn't say Evil Genius was a crime simulator, we said that it was the closest thing to creating that game that already existed. You could, of course, build one....

:p to Mr. Grumpy.

gungravesan7

Mar 11, 2008
Ok ppl... if you think it's a rip off why don't YOU come up with anything better?? I stil think it was a very good game and I couldn't care less if Yahtzee said it was lame - I stil liked it...

And still - it was a pretty good review this week - I wanted to see what Yahtzee had to say about the game and I did - that's what makes me happy :)

MiNiKi

Nov 3, 2008
ok now I'm sure of it... I must get this game :p great review! and I have to say I was expecting a good story out of this one? oh well, he did say its fun. Although repetitive.

MattyboyJ

Sep 11, 2008
*sniff* I feel so sorry for that poor brick.

ZP never fails to get me laughing.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
haahah a college mate was hammering on at me today to buy this game and I thought it looked shite. I played Doom3 and Prey. Must admited I absolutely hated Prey but Doom3 was ace. Rip offs are the suck.

Long story short, I'm definitely not buying this game.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Gets it pretty much pegged, I had the same problem with Isaac, I really WANTED to sypathize with him, but he's nothing and meaningless.

I am also still hung up on Silent Hill, nothing is scary after Pyramid Head at 2:00am.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I agree a lot about the lack of characterisation. Some games can accomplish the mute hero quite well, like Half-Life. But Half-Life is more about what goes on around him, not Gordon himself. There were many sections in Dead Space where I thought my character should be having some kind of reaction, but he seems to take all the shambling horrors, and mutilations of people very well.

One thing I do have to say to the game's credit is that it gives a very visceral feeling to the melee attacks. Unlike RE4, where Leon acts like a stuntman for a martial arts movie, Clarke just flails his arms heavily in an effort to snap some limbs off. No dexterity, no finesse. And seeing as a great many games are taking a martial arts approach to melee, it's refreshing to see someone not very good at it.

Solo508

Jul 19, 2008
Good review but I was kind of dissapointed to see Dead Space as this weeks game. I would much rather it had been Far Cry 2 or Fable 2.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Necromaniacal post=6.76063.889862 said:
I think he was a little OTT with this one, the game is good, the story sucks a fat one granted but its a survival horror/action game, its going to suck, you just ignore the story and tear some aliens to bits.
But hes is rather spot on, im hoping when he said still hurt on silent hill, he meant he went ott on the next survival horror game he found

*Shrugs* funny though
I can't believe I'm posting in a ZP thread, but I just have to point out that you can't excuse a bad element in a game, because it's associated with the genre. It's like saying any Resident Evil title is forgiven for bad camera angles, because it's something the series is known for.

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
Wow he was really mad in this one. The review was good, but I think Im gonna buy this game anyway. Heard so much god stuff about it from others, and I haven't played system shock before.

gunnnnkjkjkj

Oct 2, 2008
Nice episode. as early as this morning i was hoping this weeks ZP would be about Dead Space.

Game rules :p

pokkuti

Feb 14, 2008
Quite disappoint with review this time, not because he bash the game that I like mind you.
Talk about Originality, I never seen any game come up with the idea of Dead Space HUD, which is to say, brilliant. The designs are also spectacular and believable. What would you expect from mining spacecraft? A night club and colorful neon sign? I never mind the rip-off things if it implement well.

Twinkle twinkle little star gives me the creep.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I knew that over the shoulder view was familiar. Anyway, I liked it. Not his best one but still. Do Little Big Planet next.

S.T.U.D.

Jul 17, 2008
Good to know I don't have to play a game to be RIGHT. He pretty much mentioned everything I thought the game was going to be. And it all started with a logo... EA.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Now he is right about being the game being repetative, but just because it's on a space ship with zombie like things doesn't make it Aliens+ Event Horizon. He does have a point about those little crawly things on the floor...They just dont die!

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
To Yahtzee's gripe about the bland environment - it's supposed to be like that. Like an aircraft carrier or something similar, that ship is a utilitarian, working environment, not a day spa or something.

I think this review is a classic example of "Yahtzee bitching for the sake of bitching", regardless of whether the game is actually any good or not. He even said it himself, he's taking his frustration at Silent Hill out on Dead Space. And it cribbed notes from other horror pieces, so what? Wasn't Yahtzee's point n click game, the horror one on the space station, pretty much a ripoff of Event Horizon too?

Leliel

Nov 8, 2007
Just started playing this a couple nights ago and I'm enjoying it much more than that other System Shock 2 wannabe, Bioshock, which had tons of atmosphere but just lacked a certain intangible something. Dead Space has it. I'm not sure if it's the excellent sound design or the aforementioned in-game HUD or something else that adds to the immersion. Also, while I have no idea why Stasis or Kinesis need to exist I love the industrial tools used for improv weapons. Combat where you aim for limbs and other extensions is more interesting than just shooting them in the head or torso like every other game. :p

So yeah, story not original, but the new packaging on it is nice. Very solid, well polished game IMO.

tsaweeos

Nov 5, 2008
HAHAHA!!!

Everything you said was soo true!
I loved how much you pointed out how repetitive it was because it really is.

I hated how you had to return to some levels in the later parts of the game.
It's like playing the same level all over again. Kind of like Halo 1.
At best, the game is worth renting.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
lolz, awesome review, id heard people saying it was scary too but i wasnt sure whether or not to belive them
you know... because they're cowards XD
im glad you reviewed dead space ^-^

MichaelH

May 9, 2008
Bought it, played it, and I was genuinely creeped out in the beginning, especially from the ambient noise. But the chills wear off quickly.

I would have bet money that Yahtzee would have come down on the sheer ease of the game, though. Ammo is everywhere, so much so that you end up selling most of it, and you never once feel like you're in over your head or in a hopeless situation, which is kind of a key point for survival horror games.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Wow Yahtzee, since you're Saint's Row 2 review I've notice how you're approach to "funny" has changed. I like the way you're not only focusing on negative remarks to be funny (although those are still there, but not as forced as before). I like how you're actually critizizing the games (and it seems that you're acually playing theses games now too) becuse you also give us POSITIVE aspects of the game and actually go along and make fun of those positives (now that is smart). Nice too see a fresh new Yahtzee.

Emperor_Z

Sep 24, 2007
I really enjoyed Dead Space. Even though I only rented it I finished it twice so far (once on medium normally and again for the Maxed Out achievement) and I'm about to do it once more on impossible and with just the plasma cutter. Yeah, the game does tend to abuse the pop-out-and-startle you moments, but there is some genuinely creepy atmosphere.

They totally failed with Isaac's girlfriend though. Without any emotional connection there's nothing to distract from the obvious fact that she's definately not normal. The way she was constantly saying "make us whole again" makes it blatantly obvious that she's related to the necromorphs in some way.

I fully agree on the little bugs though. I was killed by them more than any other enemy. They're basically a one-hit kill if they get to you and they tend to appear from around corners, so unless you're really taking your time you're going to run right into them and get chewed up.

Chattermouth

Nov 5, 2008
I disagree as well. It had excellent atmosfear and the graphics were quite decent. I'm satisfied when I can max absolutely everything and still get great framenumbers. Crysis sort of gets my rig's confidence down, so that's fabulous. Soundeffects were absolutely fantastic and in the whole, it pretty much embodies the type of game it was meant to be.

The dismemberments were very cute, and as for creatures popping back up; that rarely happened to me. The first half hour or so freaked me out just enaugh to keep up the massacre until i was quite satisfied it couldn't harm me even if it was to pop back up.

In fact, after the winged bastards who turn corpses into monsters turned up, I pretty much started mauling every human corpse I came across to keep them from being potential monsters at a later time. Stomping the heads off dead women satisfied me somewhat, I tentatively admit. On a sidenote this is in my opinion a far greater "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2 than Bioshock ever was.

I can find myself playing this a few times more.
Anyway, you know what they say about opinions.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
i knew he was going to review this game. anyway, great stuff as always. it didn't make laugh out loud but it did bring up some pretty good points. maybe he should review dead space downfall, the prequel to the game, to get a good scare. next up should be fable 2 then gears of war 2.

Thirtysomething

Aug 29, 2008
gungravesan7 said:
Ok ppl... if you think it's a rip off why don't YOU come up with anything better?? I stil think it was a very good game and I couldn't care less if Yahtzee said it was lame - I stil liked it...

And still - it was a pretty good review this week - I wanted to see what Yahtzee had to say about the game and I did - that's what makes me happy :)
If you watch it again and listen carefully you'll see that he didn't actually conclude it was lame.

As always when he reviews a game I really like, I still find myself agreeing with most of his points. I liked the game enough to forgive it for it's shortcomings though and as long as a game does that I consider it a success.

I gotta admit though I still screamed like a little girl when they pulled the "playing dead" monster trick on me for about the 6th time in the mining section and shouted "EVERY FUCKING TIME JESUS CHRIST MY HEART-" at the screen. And I love the game for that.

I just really wish I'd finished this before I started playing Fallout3 as the gap since my last session with deadspace is getting longer and longer.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
While I haven't played the game, and you may be right about it's repetative state (hell, most horror games like that are, such as Doom); I have watched the movie Dead Space Downfall and have to say it's a really good sci-fi anime horror film. Atleast they didn't tack on the usual tiny black and white freaky asian girl that is always popping up for a cheap thrill.

Thirtysomething

Aug 29, 2008
MortisLegio said:
Now he is right about being the game being repetative, but just because it's on a space ship with zombie like things doesn't make it Aliens+ Event Horizon. He does have a point about those little crawly things on the floor...They just dont die!
Protip: Use the ripper on those swarms, sweep it in low, wide arcs. Only one or two, if any, will get through.

darkrisingstar

Nov 5, 2008
Hi Yahtzee,

Now listen here old chap, I could not disagree with you more; this game is a cinematic masterpiece IF played on the right setup. If you're playing it on 20" or so PC monitor with stereo speakers and the lights on it's going to be a completely different experience than playing it on a 50" Plasma with 5.1 surround sound and the lights off.
Now I know that's a lot to ask and they (the developers) don't even suggest that the latter is the way to play it but in this modern era of gaming it's the only way to go.

I do agree with some of your points, especially with regards to the wife which almost derailed the entire experience for me. But overall, the game has exceptional level design and some moments of awe and brilliance which is all I ask of these days :)

I await your next review with anticipation; good job!

Respect,

James

P.S. Can't wait to here you're opinions of Gears 2 (almost finished) as I know you'll do the right thing (tear it a new one) :D

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
This isn't really a "survival horror" - so I'm sure he came in with the wrong idea. This is more of a "3rd person horror shooter". Those who think the game is scary are just a bunch of people who jump at everything they see in the corner of their eye. Which is pretty good for this game.

daedrick

Jul 23, 2008
Hamster at Dawn post=6.76063.889850 said:
Damn, I was hoping for a Fable 2 review. Oh well this review was still good although not great. I hope we get a Fable 2 review next week and if we don't then Yahtzee better have a bloody good reason.
The bloody good reason would be; Fallout 3. Nihehehehe, seriusly, who care about the childish fable expension ( yes, expension because theres absolutly nothing new in that game, just more of the same )?!? Certainly not mah! Oh no... At least fallout have new features over oblivion unlike your stand alone expension.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
darkrisingstar said:
Hi Yahtzee,

Now listen here old chap, I could not disagree with you more; this game is a cinematic masterpiece IF played on the right setup. If you're playing it on 20" or so PC monitor with stereo speakers and the lights on it's going to be a completely different experience than playing it on a 50" Plasma with 5.1 surround sound and the lights off.
Now I know that's a lot to ask and they (the developers) don't even suggest that the latter is the way to play it but in this modern era of gaming it's the only way to go.
To be fair, it jut depends on your perspective. People who have their face up against the monitor and have headphones on will probably get the same experience. You've just got to make it work. I don't have a 50'' plasma, but I've got a 26'' LCD, with my PC and 2 very good speakers hooked up to it. So far, I'm satisfied.

spazzattack

Mar 25, 2008
Review Far Cry 2 man! It's a fun game with some minor flaws that you can harp()on like an angry sea fisherman going after a particularly large white whale.

That or wait for Left 4 Dead. Its fun to watch Yahtzee flail about looking for imperfections in a Valve game.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
I remember being at the shop and hearing people talk about it,
that it was good etc. So I decided to have a look at the box.

A few quick glances at the screenshots and the ominous EA logo
then told me to stay far away from it at full price level. EA
releases of this type do not have a clue about horror yet.
Rightfully so it seems. May have a curiosity crack at it when
it costs 5 Euros or something.

amodelmerol

Sep 10, 2008
I didn't like this game a lot, but it is not as bad a Yahtzee says, in my opinion. ZP was OK

Chattermouth

Nov 5, 2008
spazzattack said:
Review Far Cry 2 man! It's a fun game with some minor flaws that you can harp()on like an angry sea fisherman going after a particularly large white whale.
Minor flaws? You should pop by the UBI forums and have a gander at the 50 page rant about everything that's wrong with it. There's even a 4 page rant about ONE thing that's wrong with it (all weapon ejection ports on the wrong side). And that's the minor problem.

almo

Oct 27, 2008
Alien ship sound effect from Jaguar Alien vs. Predator. Awesome atmosphere.

Eleo

Apr 16, 2008
Wow this review was harsh.

I also found that the game was fairly derivative yet still good in its own right. Every game borrows from the games before it. I don't think that's a bad thing. I never heard anyone say "Gears of War is Resident Evil 4 with a cover system" just because it's an over the shoulder view, geez.

That said I'm not sure if the game ever intended for you to really care for his wife. Anyone who didn't have a hunch that she was dead all along wasn't paying attention to all the hints that were dropped. I think the real tragedy they wanted you to care about was how he was chasing after something that was only a figment of his imagination. To me, his silence almost gave him an added naivete that made his predicament pretty sad to me at times.

I also felt that the game did a good job of maintaining a scary atmosphere by establishing early on that the vents are a source of danger and then making pretty much any given area dangerous by having it full of vents. Not to mention the great sound design that often creates the illusion of threats that aren't there, the faint whispers that grow louder as you progress through the game, or the feeling of uneasiness you get in a vacuum due to enemies being silent.

My only real beef with the game was that the final boss in all of its grandiosity was a pushover (well actually it got me a few times on impossible difficulty). Oh, and they killed off the black guy for no reason at all pretty far into the game (kill him off early or make his death worthwhile).

Overall I thought the game was better than the sum of its parts and definitely worth the price.

almo

Oct 27, 2008
lord667 said:
gungravesan7 said:
Ok ppl... if you think it's a rip off why don't YOU come up with anything better??
We're not video game developers.
Yeah, you tell 'em. That's such a cop out. It's the game dev's *jobs* to make better games, not ours.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
It's not a survival horror, it's an action game with some atmospheric scares and such. If people just looked at it like that, 95 percent of complaints would be null and void. I truly think Resident Evil spoiled the gaming community, now if anything isn't up to the standards of a 10+ year old game, it's not worth the hype. Give it a rest, Dead Space is a good game.

I'm waiting for someone to design a game with no guns, no monsters, just walking around in a foggy mansion hearing some screaming sounds with ambient music. That's the only thing that would make survival horror fans happy.

Proto Cloud

Jun 25, 2008
Kinda saw this review coming. Now I know I'll stay away from it.

Oh please let the next one be Fallout 3. (Screw Fable II and screw Peter Moleneux!)

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
MichaelH said:
I would have bet money that Yahtzee would have come down on the sheer ease of the game, though. Ammo is everywhere, so much so that you end up selling most of it, and you never once feel like you're in over your head or in a hopeless situation, which is kind of a key point for survival horror games.
Not that I'm saying to play on a harder difficulty to 'better' experience the game, but the main difference in the higher difficulties is quantity of ammo and how tough the enemies are. A lot of the crates that are green/unlocked are locked in higher difficulties, reducing the amount of ammo you have available to you, which, combined with tougher enemies make the game feel quite a bit different to play. It would seem like it would be more annoying then scary, but when you're low on ammo and actually have to run from an enemy rather then kill them all, things can get a bit interesting (similar to the fights with that one monster from the good doctor).

Oh yeah, the ammo in higher difficulties drops in smaller stacks as well I believe. So where you might get 8 rounds for the Plasma Cutter on easy, you'll get 6 on normal, etc.

Actually having to resort to shooting off the legs of an enemy just to slow him down, but unable or unwilling to spare the ammo to finish him off... Awesome. As opposed to the enemy dying right when you shoot off their legs and not being very intimidating at all. I played through on normal initially, and still managed to run low on ammo in a few spots, and looking back, those were probably some of the more fun moments where I had to get creative.

While the audio stabs can get a bit annoying when it happens with almost every monster, the audio in general I found to be amazing. The way it would build based on your movement through a room (you can walk through a room and have the music get more tense, movie style, but if you stop moving it kind of hovers around the same point, only to build as you walk forward again), or do false spikes/etc to mess with you were great. The pacing in general for the game, while reliant on surprises rather then scares, was really well done. I never felt bored with the pacing, and very rarely predicted where they would actually attack me, which is a very difficult task in a game this long and with so much ground to cover.

mairsil

Cowboy of Faith
Jun 5, 2008
gamer_award said:
aaa, Yahtzee, admit it, u love this game:pmany people sayd this game will be a pice of...... before it eaven got out, but now lock at it, it cool.
\

I am geting so sick of people who have the grammar skills of a dead person.

And I really liked dead space as a game. It is like all other horror games you have to play with the lights out. they should state that in the manual I think

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
Dead Space: an excellent game, and little else.

I also didn't find it scary; it wasn't until the very, very last scene, right before the credits, that I actually jumped at anything, and even then, it's one of the most cliched scares ever.

But I still like the game a lot; it may lack a soul, but it's got a heart.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I have been hoping he would review this game. Hilarious review !! I actually like this game though, i though it was fun. but the game is super repetitive, extremely repetitive, like super repetitive. :p

emptyother

Feb 12, 2008
Damnit! Of all the games in this new wave of games, why o'why did he have to choose the ONLY game who already months ago proclaimed itself to be repetetive, boring and without any personality... No, i haven't played Dead Space, but NO amount of trailers ive seen for it have made me EVER want to play it.
So, did Yatzee sit down a few weeks ago, and said to himself... "Let us see... A game in space, with a nameless mute and masked character, looming around a gray, loomy and gritty space ship... Let us play it and see if they got it right THIS time..."? I bet my money they did NOT get it right this time either.

PS: But it was, like his other reviews, worth watching this review as well. And maybe next time he will review a game more fun to play, like say Far Cry 2 (which i KNOW he will slaughter, because this game has plenty of faults, but in the end it is quite entertaining) or Fallout 3 (i am pretty sure he will be pleasantly surprised to find very little wrong with this game) or Red Alert 3 (still to buggy to be reviewed at this date, though).

vlanitak

Sep 4, 2008
Awesome review as always Yathzee, I am definitely going to play this game.
Oh and I saw Event horizon about four years ago and I still have nightmares....

GodbeStrongMon'

Oct 20, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Naff music intro.
Good review, another one to the 'buy only on Steam at $4.99' pile.

However...

We didn't say Evil Genius was a crime simulator, we said that it was the closest thing to creating that game that already existed. You could, of course, build one....

:p to Mr. Grumpy.
I kind of feel bad for suggesting Evil Genius in the first place... wait no I don't. I'm sorry it wasn't a crime simulator, but it's really a spy movie simulator where you play as the villain who tries to kill the spies. It seems like the kind of game Yahtzee would love for the spectacle of it all, and then hate because the sheer amount of time it takes to build an evil empire.

Dead Space review was hilarious as always.><
==
()

Carthight

Oct 13, 2008
Meh, I watched my bro play it. Creepy enough at first, but then if got dull. The Dryer Boss was kinda weird though.

Monstah alienz designs were about as creepy as I expected them to be. Ugly buggers.

Because Isaac didn't talk, I couldn't feel anything for him. If he did, his dialogue would have sucked and I would have enjoyed watching him die. Therefore, I'd rather have the mute and at least prtentd to like him.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Yet another awesome review.

Going to annoy you now and say REVIEW FALLOUT 3!!!

Vromnir

Sep 23, 2008
gungravesan7" post="6.76063.889866 said:
Ok ppl... if you think it's a rip off why don't YOU come up with anything better?? I stil think it was a very good game and I couldn't care less if Yahtzee said it was lame - I stil liked it...quote]

Ok, let me put it in perspective for you...

Let's say that you make a good RPG. You think that its the best game ever and we should all be of the same opinion. Now, the person next to you hates a game unless it had 10 different kinds of aliens to blow up, and 20 different weapons to blow them up with. So that person makes a game to "show other game designers how it's done." That game has an ok story, and ok characters, and the shooting mechanics are some of the best of its generation. But you like RPG's, so you dont like the game at all.

Both of you think that you've created a masterpeice, and both of you think that the other game is absolutely horrible. The differing opinions between people make it impossible to make a game thats "better" than any other game, only to make a well-rounded game that has a good possibility of pleasing a wide variety of gamers.

Games also build off of each other. Programmers take what they think is good from a game, and use it in their own game. I think that the measure of quality for a game is how many elements of it are taken into another game, or even better, a game in a different genre. To have an element of a shooting game put into a puzzle game well would mean that the shooting game was a really good game, if elements of it could be used well in it's opposite genre. Many games use the engines of other games to make the quality rise, and i've never heard a complaint about too many things using the unreal engine.

That's my insight for today.

Crap! I messed up the quote!

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
I tend to agree mostly with Yahtzee's reviews but I have to say I disagree with this one. Dead Space to me, while yes, not exactly original, is heaps of fun and it really draws me in. But then again, I'm playing on the hardest difficulty setting where ammo is non existent dead is an 'Oh ***' away.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
gamer_award said:
AHHH!!!!! reported for being such an eyesore.
By the way, I just noticed he said that the game is repetitive twice in the list :)

ZenKai

Nov 5, 2008
Hey, am I the only one that's bothered by Escapist's new tag on ZP? Sayeth they:

"Zero Punctuation is The Escapist's groundbreaking video review series starring Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. Every Wednesday Zero Punctuation picks apart the games so you don't have to. Called "hilariously cutting ... first legitimate breakout hit from the gaming community in recent memory" by Boing Boing, see why gamers love it and developers fear it."

Errr guys...? I've been following Yahtzee since Fully Ramblomatic was his only gig, and I remember when he accepted your offer to produce for you. "Ocean full of bottles"? "Boat of cash bricks"? Yeah. Then.

Now, from what I understand, Croshaw has TRIPLED YOUR TRAFFIC, and has pretty much accounted for the lion's share of the site's popularity. I guess what I'm saying here is: don't you think the phrase "Zero Punctuation is Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's groundbreaking video review series appearing on The Escapist?" would have been a bit more accurate? I mean, IGN would love to have him. So would 1up. I mean, hell, I'D love to have him. I'd make a site specifically for it. And PEOPLE WOULD COME.

Don't go patting yourselves on the back here too much Escapist. You discovered a goldmine. You lucked out. You did NOT "break ground" or "pioneer" a new series. Yahtzee did. You were simply the network lucky enough to pick it up early.

I don't know if this comment is a ban-able offense. I've been watching for years now and have never felt the need to comment before. I have no doubt that my "yeah, you're RIGHT!" would go as unheeded as the rest, so I'm unlikely to comment again. I don't much care. But I think it's arrogant to take credit for what made you. I mean, I don't walk around saying that ZenKai is the groundbreaking result of a coupling technique he introduced, starring his parents..

.Ricks.

Sep 10, 2008
Great review as always. Although it's a game that I love I agree with his review as usual, albeit for it's sheer "funnyness" xD.

lessergnome

May 30, 2008
I love how every review is full of fun and interesting phrases to quote while laughing your ass off in front of the plebeians you call friends.

"like being in a tumble dryer with a shoggoth"

Fiskmasen

Apr 6, 2008
gungravesan7 said:

Did he hurt your wee little feelings? Yahtzee isn't some God-like being that can decide if a game is good or not, it's just his personal opinion (better vocalized than some, granted). If YOU liked the game, then good for you. Keep playing it. It's a review, not a sentence to Mt. Shittiness.

MattClassic

Feb 21, 2008
Didn't really enjoy this review. I guess it's because there weren't any valid points presented against the game that I haven't already heard a thousand times or even thought of myself (everything in it is a ripoff of everything else, not really scary, poor character development, blah blah blah).

BTW, the little leaper critters can be taken out quite easily by the Force Gun. A single blast is usually all it takes.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Excellent review. I was actually wondering whether or not to get this game, but I doubt I will now. I've heard from other places too that it gets very repetitive once you've seen everything, and besides I think I'd rather get Fallout 3 anyway.

Thirtysomething

Aug 29, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
This isn't really a "survival horror" - so I'm sure he came in with the wrong idea. This is more of a "3rd person horror shooter". Those who think the game is scary are just a bunch of people who jump at everything they see in the corner of their eye. Which is pretty good for this game.
No, not really, not in my case at any rate.

I don't think there's any point playing a game like deadspace if you aren't willing to allow yourself to feel fear and tension while playing it. So to do that, I turn off the lights, turn up the volume, and sit with my nose half a metre away from my 24" monitor so that I'm totally immersed, and then I dread every corridor, corner and door, and I jump and shout when the stabs occur - and I thoroughly enjoy the experience.

This doesn't mean I'm always jumping at shadows in the corner of my vision in real life (except when it's really late, and I've only just come out of a long session with one of these kind of games), it's just my way of getting the most out of playing horror games, and watching horror films too for that matter.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
While I originally had some interest in this game, I suddenly had a thought.

Creepy spaceship full of mutant/zombie alien things? Oh no they're going to rip off System Shock 2 aren't they?

And yeah...they kinda did. I mean it's not really a true ripoff of anything given how much inspiration they took from everything, but there's still the System Shock-ian plot structure mixed with a silent protagonist that makes me go "ugh" and wonder if we can get one year this console generation that doesn't have somebody taking from System Shock 2. Seriously EA, while I don't actually want you to make System Shock 3, I also don't want you to say "durrs not interested" and then make something in the same vein.

As to the "spaceship decor" question. I think it's important to make an environment look like people lived in it before it all went to hell, and some people have said that Dead Space kind of misses that.

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
Never thought I would have to say this but.

Not liking a game just because everyone else does doesn't make you cool. Whats next? Fallout 3 sucks or some other lie out of your ass?

FACT.50

Sep 12, 2007
For once I'm completely in disagreement with Yahtzee.

Dead Space is one of the most fun games I've played this year. Event Horizon is one of my all time favorite horror movies, and this game is a clever homage to that film (and The Thing, Aliens, etc.)

It's like a Tarantino film. You know he ripped off everything from a bunch of obscure 60's and 70's movies, but it is so obvious, you can't really call it a "rip off".

I have to disagree about the dingy space ship thing too, in case you didn't notice that all of the ships in this game have been infested with some kind of alien life form that killed or drove the entire crew insane. So it's only to be expected that the ship isn't exactly in the best condition. The Shoggoth tumble dryer bit got a laugh though.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Competent but bland. Like Madden or The Sims or...well, just about the entirety of EA's body of work. Why am I not surprised?

Jerakal

Aug 30, 2007
Jeez Yahtzee, not every horror game can be Silent Hill, this game is actually very good as far as a space sci-fi horror game goes. It's much better than Doom 3 or most of the recent terrible attempts at a sci-fi horror game.

Concealed101

Nov 5, 2008
I'm not going to say that Yahtzee didn't get the game because honestly every single person takes something different away from the game; however, I feel like he was looking for the wrong things in Issac's occasional interactions with Nicole. They weren't intended to create empathy with the character, they were intended to make you question whether or not Issac was hallucinating. The idea that an unarmed girl could survive alone on the Ishimura when trained military professionals were slaughtered makes no sense, especially considering that she seems to just walk out of the room without worry whenever you see her. Issac's lack of emotional reaction is more of a sign that on some level he understood he was fooling himself. And he was characterized, just never verbally. If you read his notes on each objective, you got a clear sense of who he was as a person-- utilitarian, logical, and level-headed. Which is precisely why he survives when others die.

Also, his comments about the level design being cliche strikes me as odd. You can clearly see a practical theme to everything. And the gothic influences are astounding. You can see an amalgamation of old architecture and science fiction. I mean, a ship with influences clearly derived from flying buttresses? How is that not original?

Also, even though the story is cliche the religious overtones provided by the unitologist add a lot more depth than the standard sci-fi horror story contains. The obvious criticisms of accepting everything on blind faith and inadvertently worshiping the necromorphs as almost god-like because they have a relation to the marker, when in actuality the marker is meant to contain the necros? That's at least somewhat interesting on a story-telling level and it was certainly never explored in Alien/Aliens or Event Horizon.

And the game throws out a number of small treats for people who really paid attention. For instance, read the first number of each chapter. *SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS* Nicole is dead *END SPOILERS* Or the fact that in one of the middle chapters there is a sign scrawled with what looks to be a method of translating the alien symbols written on the walls throughout the entire game. And if you actually take the time to write down the method you can go back and translate every little bit of scrawling in every level. I doubt a generic game spewing machine would add that kind of detail.

I do have to say though, while Issac's silence may have had some interesting connotations on his interactions with Nicole, it certainly makes the opening scene seem incredibly awkward. The kinesis and stasis guns also feel incredibly shoehorned into the game and that the pacing never really hit its stride, but as a whole I'd have to say that the game is incredibly well done and does not feel generic in the least.

Final Note: Zero punctuation is the last review source I really trust, and I seem to have the exact same taste in games as Yahtzee because this is the FIRST review I have disagreed with.

FACT.50

Sep 12, 2007
Why don't you try you know... playing the game before making base assumptions about it? It's pretty cheap to rent.

Kohath

Nov 5, 2008
It's only repetitive because there are 12 chapters instead of 8 or 9. If they hadn't made it 12 chapters, people would have bitched about it being too short to be worth $60.

9NineBreaker9

Nov 1, 2007
FACT.50 said:
Why don't you try you know... playing the game before making base assumptions about it? It's pretty cheap to rent.
That's what I did, rent the game - it's extremely short, so I'm not going to throw down a bunch of money for something that I won't be playing for a month.

I agree to disagree with this week's Zero Punctuation - while he's correct on all his points (repetitive nature of quests and scared, relatively easy, unoriginal), I still liked it.

JoeNut

Aug 27, 2008
i really like this game it's great, but i agree that isaac has no character development at all. Good review anyway.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well I tend to think that there is very little that is truely original anymore. Most of what people think of as original is oftentimes simply so old it's new again. On the occasions when someone does come up with something fairly original it's rapidly imitated into a stereotype.

That said, I don't think there have been many attempts at science fiction survival horror. It's not a totally original idea (Echo Night, etc...) but it's a workable one. All told I think Dead Space is probably the best game of that sub-genere created. Surpassing the previous champion "System Shock 2" which honestly was kind of a hard act to follow. The desician of the original System Shock creators to do "Bioshock" kind of opened the door for this.

Still I do tend to agree with Yahtzee that like everything this could have been better and polished up in a lot of areas. Perhaps if we see a Dead Space 2 it will surpass the original in all respects like System Shock 2 did with the original. Hopefully the designers of the game are listening to some of these criticisms.

The biggest criticism I have of Yahtzee's review is the referance to "Event Horizon". Other than being in space, I see very few similarities. The game is much closer to say Aliens, or Supernova in premise (the latter is a 'B' movie I expect few have seen, but it's so close to some aspects of Dead Space it's uncanny).

"Event Horizon" was more of a haunting clique, it didn't have monsters crawling around for the most part. It used haunted house type scares, and largely cereberal events, combined with possession. It had an entirely differant feel overall I found.

>>>----Therumancer--->

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
No mention of control problems in the review nor in any of the comments. How very surprising.

natenate95

Invalid CD key
Nov 5, 2008
hmm yahtzee, apparently not liking a game is reason enough to get sloppy and half-ass the journalist portion of your rant. Now, and comically enough, i'll be critical. It seems that you either rushed through the game, didn't finish the gane or stayed up on tuesday night after procrasting wondering how you could throw together a mutant offspring of your other reviews. Now unfortunately Issac Clarke infact does take off his suit in the ending cutscene but i highly doubt your attention span made it their. while it's one thing to rag on the color scheme, oh by the way their were carpets: see level 11 and you fail to notice the change in settings to a very different style, yet again near the end you didn't get too. And Nicole is actually his girlfriend and I fail to find the physics "gun". i dont think they had a weapon like that but oh well, i bet you banked on people over looking that. See its a little unfair to criticize a game because series before it have been similar or used the same mechanics, but i dont think you get it. Well if a game can't borrow popular elements an implement them correctly and expand on them, were does that leave the franchise. Sure you could play Resident Evil four because it master the third-person perspective but after the thrity playthrough it gets boring thats why theirs resident evil five. Your claims fall short because like the motifs you criticize, your work follows suit and the lack of complaints from your audience is what keeps you from changing. I sit back and laugh as you label it repetative, then show games from ranging 10 years ago to 6 and explain how a new game with great foundations can't possibly be good when its anciestor is in the back of our mind. In a sense im glad you dont use numbers to grade any games because you'd give it a 5/10 because it was repetative, then again thats what your program would rate too.

wildde

Nov 2, 2008
Its repetetive....hm, an FPS horor game? Where did i see that, it was one of the reviews.

chase211

Sep 22, 2008
I can't lie and say this game is original or inivative, but do you realy require a compleatly fresh concept for a game to be good ie. fun? I'm not saying this game is great, but the fact that the game basicaly boils down to Doom 3 + Resident Evil 4 isn't such a bad thing in my mind, especially considering the total lack of general survival horror games in the marketplace. Furthermore, I think anytime EA accomplishes the task of a serviceable title it diserves a freaking parade.

AkselHauk

Oct 20, 2008
as always an enjyable review.
was hopeing for Fallout 3. but i guess there is still hope :D

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
Jerakal said:
Jeez Yahtzee, not every horror game can be Silent Hill, this game is actually very good as far as a space sci-fi horror game goes. It's much better than Doom 3 or most of the recent terrible attempts at a sci-fi horror game.
I think Doom3 was more of a shooter than horror. And I liked the game.
And he was characterized, just never verbally. If you read his notes on each objective, you got a clear sense of who he was as a person-- utilitarian, logical, and level-headed. Which is precisely why he survives when others die.
WHy does that feel like a defense for Mass Effect? If you have to read to get characterization you'd be better off with a book.
And the game throws out a number of small treats for people who really paid attention. For instance, read the first number of each chapter. *SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS* Nicole is dead *END SPOILERS* Or the fact that in one of the middle chapters there is a sign scrawled with what looks to be a method of translating the alien symbols written on the walls throughout the entire game. And if you actually take the time to write down the method you can go back and translate every little bit of scrawling in every level. I doubt a generic game spewing machine would add that kind of detail.
While that is awesome, I don't think that's what Yahtzee likes about subtle horror.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I feel like he could've stood to mention that it's repetitive a few more times, I don't think he drove that point home enough :)

Jabbawocky

Sep 3, 2008
Well I guess I won't be buying that game anytime soon. I would actually like for Yahtzee to give a review of Quantum of Solace which came out on every console recently. Work some of that cynical magic on Bond.

Swampmarshexpress

Nov 5, 2008
Looks like a fun rental.

mairsil said:
gamer_award said:
\

I am geting so sick of people who have the grammar skills of a dead person.

And I really liked dead space as a game. It is like all other horror games you have to play with the lights out. they should state that in the manual I think
Irony.

SunoffaBeach

Sep 24, 2008
Too many fanboys here.

Don't ever let one single person make the decisions for you!
Don't ever stop questioning someone's opinion!
Always think for yourself!

andsoitgoes

Mar 6, 2008
gungravesan7 said:
Ok ppl... if you think it's a rip off why don't YOU come up with anything better??
I AM SICK of hearing this.

Does that mean if you can't create a complex symphony, you can't critique one?!? Fer fricks sake.

Calling it a rip-off, which is an honest description of it that damn near everyone agrees on, is TRUE.

Anyway - What *I* want to know is who the hell is the guy he consistently puts on "blast" as the kids say picture-wise?? I know that the face is familiar, but it's getting frustrating!

Help, anyone?

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Someone else already said there are far too many fanpeople in here, and judging from the comments, I have to agree. I thought his review was pretty darn good. He never said it was the worst game ever, as many are seeming to get the impression. He said it had a fair ammount of good things going for it, but that it never really tried to push itself to be better. He was it was good, yet rather bland, and from what I've seen, it probably really is.

I'm reminded of Yahtzee's comment on Brawl, where he says that if you truly enjoyed the game and think it's perfect, that someone saying it sucks shouldn't bother you. The fact that someone does raise hell when he says a game they like isn't the best thing ever, must somehow signify that in the back of their head that person doesn't truly think it is.

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
I really enjoyed Dead Space, but he did nail most of its flaws. Although, I don't consider any of the flaws he pointed out to be a major impact on my enjoyment of the game.

Oh well, you can't expect everyone to like the same things you do, especially not Yahtzee.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
chronobreak said:
I'm waiting for someone to design a game with no guns, no monsters, just walking around in a foggy mansion hearing some screaming sounds with ambient music. That's the only thing that would make survival horror fans happy.
-and that is why I loved Ocean View Hotel so much in VTM:B - and the majority of the Penumbra games.

Demir23

Oct 19, 2008
Nicely done. The characterization of Isaac was dead on, I also appreciated how you picked up on his name. Clever, eh? XP

kaimarion

Sep 13, 2008
I haven't bought "Dead Space" myself but I have played it at a friends house so from what I have experianced this game is pretty fun, has beautiful graphics, great soundtrack and while it is not original it is a shit lot better than SOME of the games it "rips off".
This game has got to be a 8.5/10

Anyway keep up the good work Yahtzee ;) .

EDIT: I think next weeks review should be "fable 2" as it deserves a good bashing for being half finished. If your wondering what I'am talking about when I say half finished I mean there is very little to do in the game and there is a very poor selection of weapons and clothes.There is one major thing that annoys me it is it was most probably done on purpose to make players purchase DLC to even get half a game.

the farkinator

Nov 6, 2008
Sadly, I didn't find this one totally satisfying. Hopefully he can turn his attention to GoW2 so he can rip it apart and do another mailbag showdown. That was hilarious.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
I really have to wonder what difficulty Yahtzee was playing on. Easy, Medium? With those two ammo is practically given away like candy so much that you could conceivably buy almost all the available weaponry before chapter three!

On hard mode though, Ammunition is scarce, period which really pumps up the 'worry' factor so to speak. Granted, it's frustrating later on, but it really puts a sense of vulnerability. You aren't some super awesomely trained individual able to fight off thousands of aliens by highly intense and rigorous training, but purely by dumb luck.

Nohra

Aug 9, 2008
Y'know, I rather liked the 'horror' aspect, not so much because of the OH SHIT TEN THINGS POPPED UP part, but more the "...wow, what if that actually existed" part. This of course doesn't really have to do with the game itself, but the backstory of the "necromorphs."

As for the complaints about it being all busted up, well, the USG Ishimura (USS Kill Beast Buffet) WAS a fairly nice place, you can sort've see from the less damaged areas. Look at the Captain's Quarters, for one example. Thing is that the Necromorph growth kinda got every-fscking-where and started destroying systems in its growth path. I mean, you can't really fault the dev team for trying to show that off, even if it does result in "cliched half failing starship."

The zero gravity was insanely great though, and the muting of all sound in vacuum (except sounds you made) was a great immersion factor. And really, the citation of "can't feel for character" holds plenty true with other voiceless characters, like Gordon Freeman (granted Valve made you feel for the characters around you, instead of Gordon himself). I also liked the minor HUD-less approach they went with, putting your healthbar on your spine, your stasis energy bar next to that, and popping up video/inventory in a hologram in front of you. I'm surprised you make no mention of the lack of "suck thumb under table to regenerate health" mechanics, Yaht.

Yaht, if you ever get the time away from new releases, I'd kinda like to hear what you think of Prey.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Yeah, who IS that guy? He was on the box for "Captain Bland's Monotonous Adventure", he's in the picture as Isaac's wife...hell, he's in almost every review.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
The Sorrow said:
Yeah, who IS that guy? He was on the box for "Captain Bland's Monotonous Adventure", he's in the picture as Isaac's wife...hell, he's in almost every review.
the picture for average guy, thats a really good question sorrow.

TheDevilsJoker

Aug 13, 2008
Im glad somebody else on these comments mentioned how its got influences from The Thing aswell. It basically lends from so many classics across the mediums that it is pretty amazing overall. Seeing the dead wife and other hallucinations is a BIT over the top for the homage to event horizon though, pretty much a carbon copy.

STILL, loving the game so far. (Only up to repairing the comms)

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
It was fun to watch AND I didn't have to watch it twice to read all the captions! Wooooo!

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Key word 'Atmosphere', I always look up these games on Youtube.com or download a game play video because most of these games are just not that much fun. All Yahtzee's points are true and it seems no one is aiming to be clever or original anymore, it is all about the money!

Games with great atmosphere like Metroid Prime, Starcraft, Halo 1, Ocarina of Time, etc. The developers need to use these games as an example.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
I disagreed with the review completely.

1) Ripping off Event Horizon.
Yeah, the devs admitted it was one of their sources. It was the point of the game.

2) The cheap 5 cent attack of giving birth to little bastards
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to shoot the pregnants legs off rather than blowing open the stomach.

3) Your comment about it being a combination of other games
I felt it was the result of taking lesser games and getting a better game in result.
And the devs admitted RE4 was one of their sources. All the other games you listed I actually gave up playing out of boredom.

4) Your comment about it not looking like a place worth living in before the disaster
The place did look significantly better before the disaster. Lights weren't always out like that in every section. The unlivable conditions are a result of the disaster. They even said it was odd how all the lights were out during the opening cinematic.

5) Your comment about we're not given enough backstory to care about Nicole
She was his ex wife actually. Plus there were other things like how you're told the Marker causes you to hallucinate about dead loved ones, right before every encounter with Nicole.

6) Arthur Clarke reference in the name, etc.
Yeah, it was intended.

7) Your comment on how there was no pause of monsters
There were tons of pauses. Tons of spots where they set you up to expect an attack and dont give you one

8) Monsters playing possum
That doesn't happen very often. I think it only happened three times for me. And I actually expected and planned for them the second playthrough.

9) Physics gun even though hands could do it
Arms don't reach very far. I used the gun to pull stuff from far away, especially in the zero g environments

In short, I was excited you choose this game. I found the game very likeable, the singular best EA game I've ever played and one of the best games this gen. I expected your review to be a lot more positive. But I found most of your complaints to be either invalid, or picking on the point of the game

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Nazulu said:
Games with great atmosphere like Metroid Prime, Starcraft, Halo 1, Ocarina of Time, etc. The developers need to use these games as an example.
They did use MP and Halo as examples. The game is so MP-like that even the menu looks similar. And it rips off halo's flood and gravemind

orberon

Apr 23, 2008
I really wonder how and When Fallout 3 review will be. It would be nice to have a game that's liked for a while.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Can't believe this turd of a game got to get it's own review while Far Cry 2 got the eat shit and die treatment

Indrid Cold

Jan 30, 2008
I'm still amazed at the number of people here who base their game purchases on Zero Punctuation reviews. Do you own anything other than Psychonauts, Call of Duty 4 and Portal? Honestly.

As for Fallout 3...it's drab, lots of brown and gray. Hence a terrible game.

currymutton

Nov 6, 2008
I have to admit I play first at Medium, plenty of ammo droppings, "survivual horror" only works only for the first few minutes. Once you grab your first gun, and boom, it becomes a shooting gallery and it gets rather annoying after that tumble dryer because the designers paint some old monsters black and trick us into thinking they are something new. May be I should try hard level next. And no, at an early level, those little things just happen to jump onto you out of nowhere, so be very careful space cowboy.

The only thing I find really scary is the elevator door -- it chops you into pieces if you happen to get in-between the doors while closing. Safefy regulation, CEC?

Have to agree on the character devemopment, atmosphere and the immersement. I have really no attachment whatsoever with the "girlfriend" thing and to one point I really let her die (and yes she can!) but well, that means instant game over. Whew. Gotta waste some precious ammo for her.

I think he misses one point that some weapons (note the pural) are actually quite "useless" or may be: not-so-effective. The first gun is probably the best for most situations till the end. If you really desparate for cash, the game design actually encourages you to sell it for some handsome money!

I am not saying it is not a bad game, I acutally find it quite enjoyable, and finish it instead of CoD4. Go figure.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Maybe I'm just a bit deadened after years of horror movies (good ones, not that bollocks american style where fear is replaced by gore), but I didn't find the game to be spooky at all. A little startling at times, but so was grabbed by the ghoulies on 360 :p I don't think I've been really scared by a game since the Alien TC for doom.

Good review, but I thought it was a little light in the funny deptarment. Normally I get at least one good laugh out of each ep, but this one only made me smile. Oh well.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
This week Zero Punctuation explores the USS Kill Beast Buffet and reviews Dead Space.
Quoting this for no reason other than making Yahtzee get a PM in his inbox. Assuming he does, heh heh. Assuming he doesn't, then good, he made good use of the off setting for that particular forum feature.

I feel no guilt.

Moving onto the content, I'm going to wax poetic a bit here. Pointlessly, I'm sure, as no one actually reads what anyone says in these threads, just posts their own opinions. Call me hypocrite if you want. I know, I'm doing it too.

Regardless, I feel Yahtzee's reviews as of late been lacking in the "Take this!" department. Almost like he's lost his drive to really rip the game a new one for having the audacity to exist. The problem, though, is that's his niche, so he can't really lose it. Instead, the things he picks on seem rather superficial, more... sparse.

Then, when he points out the shining parts, it's just in passing, like it's a topic not really worth mentioning, but he does so out of some compelled need, for whatever compulsion is hidden behind his monitor. It all sounds kinda stiff, as if Yahtzee is doing it out of a need to do it, there's no joy behind it.

At least, it doesn't feel like it. Just, forced. I don't like forced... I guess what I'm trying to say is this review, along with his more recent ones, come across as something I would get out of a soul-less video game review generating machine. You feed it a history of interesting, well-toned reviews, and asked for something less thought-out and review-centric. Which are, admittedly, becoming repetitive.

[sup]All in all, I feel like the reviews are just a facade of what they once were. All of the things done right back-when are now feeling done hurriedly, shamefully, without the heart. Although, if I ever feel forced to listen to nothing but mindless praise or shameless drudgery, I'd probably lose heart too.[/sup]

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Apr 11, 2008
Aye, Dead Space is a very good game. And it could probably be nominated for GoTY. It is in fact extremely easy to tell when a monster is playing dead, except for once where a slasher was hiding under a dead body (Bioshock did the same thing with the splicers, but it was harder to tell who was playing dead and who was dead).

And yes, Dead Space is alot like Event Horizen, but it also has a bit of Resident Evil in it as well.

YoungZer0

Nov 28, 2007
Oh come on Yahtzee. You love Half-Life and Gordon Freeman also doesn't talk at all, so why is it here a problem?

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
YoungZer0 said:
Oh come on Yahtzee. You love Half-Life and Gordon Freeman also doesn't talk at all, so why is it here a problem?
First person perspective, and attachment to characters, and well-written script.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
I'd say DS is an ok game, but sadly not very scary one, monsters that jump out at you "on cue" rather than patrol the premises don't frighten me much. Encounters in the vacuum are the only time these bastards can really surprise you, too many aural cues that warn when they pop up, there's just no sense of lurking terror.

Too bad about the game, I really liked its animated comic ads on youtube.

ElArabDeMagnifico said:
YoungZer0 said:
First person perspective, and attachment to characters, and well-written script.
I believe you're right ElArabDeMagnifico, in third person perspective you're more of an observer than a direct participant and from my observations Issac may as well be a faceless, soulless humanoid construct rather than a human being -- he has no personality either way.
As for how it's done in Half-Life, the game makes you care for NPCs because they face the same hardships as the player, you get gradually acquainted with them in the course of the game. And why should you care about Isac's ex if you have no emotional attachment to him?

P.S. The in-game holographic GUI was the thing that impressed me the most in Dead Space.

entropy3ko

Jan 17, 2008
Techni said:

Yeah, the devs admitted it was one of their sources. It was the point of the game.

2) The cheap 5 cent attack of giving birth to little bastards
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to shoot the pregnants legs off rather than blowing open the stomach.

I felt it was the result of taking lesser games and getting a better game in result.
And the devs admitted RE4 was one of their sources. All the other games you listed I actually gave up playing out of boredom.

4) Your comment about it not looking like a place worth living in before the disaster
The place did look significantly better before the disaster. Lights weren't always out like that in every section. The unlivable conditions are a result of the disaster. They even said it was odd how all the lights were out during the opening cinematic.

5) Your comment about we're not given enough backstory to care about Nicole
She was his ex wife actually. Plus there were other things like how you're told the Marker causes you to hallucinate about dead loved ones, right before every encounter with Nicole.

Yeah, it was intended.

7) Your comment on how there was no pause of monsters
There were tons of pauses. Tons of spots where they set you up to expect an attack and dont give you one

8) Monsters playing possum
That doesn't happen very often. I think it only happened three times for me. And I actually expected and planned for them the second playthrough.

9) Physics gun even though hands could do it
Arms don't reach very far. I used the gun to pull stuff from far away, especially in the zero g environments

In short, I was excited you choose this game. I found the game very likeable, the singular best EA game I've ever played and one of the best games this gen. I expected your review to be a lot more positive. But I found most of your complaints to be either invalid, or picking on the point of the game
I think you just make the point Yahtzee wanted to make: it's repetitive and ripps off too much from previous games and movies. Not a bad game but nothing new or original either.

I have not played the game (so I will not say it's good or bad), but from trailers & gameplay movies I saw it looked pretty cool and I am sure it might be fun to play as well, it is probably just not the super-dupe mega exithing thing that EA hyped about. I mean... on a video the developers said you'd be kicking babies in the game! BABIES! Necromonstruoisity babies of course... so I do not see why get so excited :p

I still might check it out. After all I bought Bioshock and even The Witcher after seeing the ZP review.

And that name "Isaac Clarke" (do not forget Asimov haha)... just lame... yes we know who they are EA! It's like the name of the female companion of Stallone in "Demolition Man" who was called 'Lenina Huxley'.
When a character ins a game or movie has a name which is a combination of the name of 2 or more SF or Horror writers it's just spells shit I think.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
DeathSnipa1992 said:
who haqs played this game. should i check it out?
You may want to try it if never played a space horror game, just don't expect it to be exceptionally scary.

Death916

Apr 21, 2008
Allan Foe said:
DeathSnipa1992 said:
who haqs played this game. should i check it out?
You may want to try it if never played a space horror game, just don't expect it to be exceptionally scary.
That doesn't really matter to me. Games never really haven't needed to be scary with me. Just fun and challenging.

EDIT my avatar still hasnt changed on here but it has on warcry :/

entropy3ko

Jan 17, 2008
'bout Fallout 3

Well it's true that FALLOUT 3 has a lot og brown and gray, and also greenish and yellow in it... and the landscape looks very dull... but it's not a bad game.
Estetically it is a little bit like a let down... but perhaps it was intended to be like that. You are in a post- apocalyptic wasteland, not DiZney's Color Park. Although I admit that a little more color and a little more variation in the locations coul'n't have hurt.
Also a little more variation in enemies would have been fun.

Quests are ok, or at least better than Oblivion's, the 50's music you can hear on your Radio is great, although a few more songs could not have hurt either. Three Dog is fun to listen by the way.

One might say F3 is Oblivion with guns... and it's true, but it's quite fun too and is also more challenging than Oblivion.

Voice acting is quite good.

Toilets are present, and you can drink from them too haha (if you like irradiated piss)

A good game, if you like the genre, but a game that could have been much much MUCH better with a few extras here and there...

PS: what I liked is that I could take off a whole band of raiders with one well placed granade and then loot their dismembered corpses :p

Moravich

Aug 17, 2008
the poor brick : (
i was excited to go buy this game, but i'm second guessing myself now... >.<

killridemedly

Dec 5, 2007
Well, to be fair, Event Horizon ripped off of Warhammer 40k. And I can't imagine the "tear-a-hole-in-space-and-have-demon-space-ooglies-crawl-out" was a novel concept when WH40k did it, either.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
NewClassic said:
Pointlessly, I'm sure, as no one actually reads what anyone says in these threads, just posts their own opinions. Call me hypocrite if you want. I know, I'm doing it too.
I actually try to read the first 3 or 4 pages if I get to the comments late, and if there are lots of pages, I will also peruse randomly and see what else is said.

That said..
Indrid Cold said:
I'm still amazed at the number of people here who base their game purchases on Zero Punctuation reviews. Do you own anything other than Psychonauts, Call of Duty 4 and Portal? Honestly.
While Yahtzee's review of the Prince of Persia trilogy inspired me to seek the games out again, I am familiar enough (or own/have played) with the games to know that he's almost always right on the mark with his reviews.

And in the very few cases where I don't fully agree with him, I can still see his point and why he made it. In the case of this week's review, I really think he made a lot of good points, commenting on both good and bad aspects of the game, yet making his funny/witty remarks that he is known for. So really don't see why so many people are going up in arms because he said Dead Space was a "meh" game.

JojjeE

Apr 21, 2008
He has a few good points but I generally disagree.

When you think about it, Isaac is pretty badass.

Oh look, a freaky alien latching onto my torso? Wait, is he going to rip off my head?
FUCK THAT SHIT.
I'll rip him off and bash him to hell with my gun!

baba44713

Sep 25, 2008
He had me on "why doesn't anyone build spaceships which would be a nice place to live?" bit.

Seriously, why does every futuristic spaceship has to have the interior of a WWII submarine with about 90% of the light bulbs gone bust?

Chattermouth

Nov 5, 2008
NewClassic said:
"...I'm going to wax poetic a bit here. Pointlessly, I'm sure, as no one actually reads what anyone says in these threads, just posts their own opinions."
QFT.
People not reading at least SOME of the previous posts really negate the term 'forum'.
It loses the discussion element and becomes a list of statements.

Furthermore, I actually prefer a main character who shuts up. When the character you're playing (The way you want to play them!!) suddenly decides to speak, more often than not, what he says is absolute crap, and a direct contrary to what you would have wanted them to say.
Besides Lo Wang, of course. Me and him think alike.

I also liked the above comparison to Gordon Freeman, as they are completely alike. And don't give me any bullshit about the scriptwriting. It can't be better if there's nothing there. Freeman's mindset isn't touched upon one itty bit. The only thing that's set is his education at MIT. So is Isaac's duty/position on the ship. The rest is up to the player.

(SLIGHT SPOILER) In fact, I'd prefer Isaac didn't remove his helmet at all, even though the obvious reason for it is to make him appear finally relaxed and vulnerable.

Pietho

Nov 6, 2008
I can't wait until something truly unique comes out. Until then, I'll laugh at the repetition.

good review... as always...

inthefade

May 28, 2008
Christ! Do the intros and outros have to be so damn loud? I listen to this after my roommates have gone to sleep, and they probably wake up thinking the world is ending.

Adilos

Nov 6, 2008
I would like to know how long Yahtzee was playing the game.
Did he get to the part with the monster-worm-thing that comes out of the wall?

I think that wasnt new, but very entertaining.
Question: Is there an other game in which ripping of body parts is that much important to kill an enemy? Isn´t that something new?

IMO this game is awesome.
This game fulfils all his functions. It entertains you.
Just like a lot of movies out there.
Not a pioneering, groundbreaking concept, but very good in his function. To entertain.

another nice review though.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
Yahtzee raises some interesting points, but what it all really boils down to is that you can cut enemies limbs off. That's sells it for me!

Concealed101

Nov 5, 2008
I'm honestly disappointed by all the people in this thread who mock the game then end with "I haven't actually played it but I've watched videos (or something similar)." Seriously? Just because Yahtzee tells you something is "meh" you automatically believe him? Go read other reviews. Gamespy gave it a 5/5 and compared it to HL2 and Bioshock in terms of quality. That's not to say that they're right and YAhtzee is wrong but merely that opinions differ and if you only listen to one person how will you be sure you're truly experiencing the best games for you?

Poptart Fairy

Jan 31, 2008
Speaking as someone who's recently played the game through on hard, I have to agree with him.

The game is fun and interesting, sure (any developer who doesn't copy DS' HUD mechanic needs to be beaten with a blunt instrument), with the combat (QTE melee is wonderfully visceral and so much better to watch due to Isaac being clumsy and straight forward with his technique) being rather engaging. Beyond that though...eh.

People keep telling me it's all about survival, an all-encompassing fear that swallows you and forces you to use tactics to conserve every last scrap of ammo you get. Unfortunately, despite having a fully upgraded RIG suit and plasma cutter, I still had enough plasma on me to single-handedly slaughter several planets worth of Necromorphs. Once there was no worry about losing cash or ammo (which came pretty early on for me), the game lost huge amounts of tension.

Good, yes, but as he says...could have gone so much further.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
YoungZer0 said:
Really? At times during the review I had to keep reminding myself he was talking about Dead Space and not Half-Life 2.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
mspencer82 said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
YoungZer0 said:
Really? At times during the review I had to keep reminding myself he was talking about Dead Space and not Half-Life 2.
...Your joking right? Because the Gravity Gun was useful in half life 2, the weapons were great, there were no annoying swarms of stupid bugs, I don't think you've played HL2.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Aries_Split said:
mspencer82 said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
YoungZer0 said:
...Your joking right? Because the Gravity Gun was useful in half life 2, the weapons were great, there were no annoying swarms of stupid bugs, I don't think you've played HL2.
The gravity gun was only useful to get the insane amount of crates out of your way in overly cluttered hallways. Other than that it was just an overly complicated way to make use of the physics engine. Yeah, you don't have to shake off bugs but the headcrabs were annoying as hell. I notice you didn't bother refuting the fact that HL has a mute protagonist that could easily be replaced by a plank of wood.

I played Half-Life 2 on PC shortly after it came out and later bought the Orange Box for Xbox 360 (check my gamer tag on my profile if you don't believe I played Half-Life 2 and its episodes). I don't hate Half-Life 2, I just think it's a really average, bland game. From the way the review makes it sound, Dead Space is just as bland, but I can't say for sure since I haven't played it.

Indrid Cold

Jan 30, 2008
Concealed101 said:
I'm honestly disappointed by all the people in this thread who mock the game then end with "I haven't actually played it but I've watched videos (or something similar)." Seriously? Just because Yahtzee tells you something is "meh" you automatically believe him? Go read other reviews. Gamespy gave it a 5/5 and compared it to HL2 and Bioshock in terms of quality. That's not to say that they're right and YAhtzee is wrong but merely that opinions differ and if you only listen to one person how will you be sure you're truly experiencing the best games for you?
Thank you. ZP still makes me smile once every so often, but I'm getting utterly sick of the "Well, Yahtzee says it's bad, might as well not even try the game out for myself" mentality that seems to pervade these forums.

Nov 6, 2008
Am i the only person who notice 'Bleep Bloop'? i think it's an 'obscure internet referance, and if it is Yhatzee has just put an even bigger gap between himself and my other favorate (non-fictonal) people!! love the reviews anyway - even if i dont always agree.

PS am i the only person who really likes his opening theme? i donno, my friends do, but maybe it's a british thing ... or maybe he's just as mad as us!

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
This review was ok but not that funny. can i haz Far Cry 2 or TES:Fallout 3 review now?
"the marsupial answer to Stanley Kubrick" LOL

*edit* btw after watching again i must say i am surprised by how little Yahtzee appears in this review, we see him sitting reviewing stuff but i like it better when he inserts himself into to game but maybe that's joust me.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Spot on. I laugh at people who say this game is scary.

Condemned was scary, Silent hill was scary.
This thing makes your hearth jump out sometimes but that's about it.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Indrid Cold said:
Concealed101 said:
Thank you. ZP still makes me smile once every so often, but I'm getting utterly sick of the "Well, Yahtzee says it's bad, might as well not even try the game out for myself" mentality that seems to pervade these forums.
Except I wasn't going to try the game in the first place because I'm boycotting all things EA until they grow the fuck up and stop treating their paying customers like criminals.

Also the thing to remember about reviewers for review sites and magazines is that if they don't give good reviews then companies get their panties in a bunch and threaten to pull advertising.

And you can't have that. Ever.

Now I'm not say EA is using their industry power to influence reviews, but that's entirely likely.

I am also not saying this game can't be enjoyable.

kalaim

Feb 12, 2008
Hmm. It's half the concept of Event Horizon and hhmmm.. let's say 60% of space horror movies. true but i had a good time playin it and it's not so bad... it is just that the plot completely lackin' of ingeniosity and phony as possible.

[Out of subject] http://bizarrocomic.blogspot.com/ > Look! Yathzee got cloned... :D [/Out of subject]

MercFox1

Jun 19, 2008
Again, I think many people here are missing the point here. From his very first review, Yahtzee has been different in that he focuses on the things that deaden the game experience, or make the game less enjoyable. In some respects, Yahtzee has a theoretically much easier job with his reviews: The good aspects of a game vary for most (some would rank story, gameplay, graphics as their most important quality or some prefer a mix), but the things that make a game bad (poor programming, lazy texturing, strange dialogue, weird gameplay mechanics) are usually easy to agree upon. Yahtzee just has to then interject his trademark humor into the mix, and BLAM! instant classic.

Unfortunately, basing your choice of games on Yahtzee's approval alone means you are not a gamer at all. You would probably own The Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, Psychonauts, Painkiller, and Saints Row 2 (judging on games (that I can remember) that had positive receptions), and that's it. This brings me to my point: The best review is the one you give yourself. You will find aspects you can't stand, things you absolutely love, and decide if you really like this game. Often this happens after you've bought the game, so it's too late to make any budget constraints; but things like demos, previews, videos, and Gametap rentals help that. Instead, do what I do: laugh your ass off at Yahtzee and how funny he is when he lampoons a game.

But, hey, what do I know; I only read game reviews to give me selfish vindication that "Damn, I liked this game. I'm glad people agree with me."

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
I'm about 2/3 through the game, so; grain of salt here.

The crack about the name of the character was pretty weak, especially since the developers came right out and said that they were doing it in honor of those two authors. Making fun of that was the fish in a barrel comment.

Dead Space does wear its influences on its sleeve, and that's legit for critique; however, I don't exactly see what they problem is with the environments. They would be pretty, (the atrium level shows this off) but the ship is a wreck; that's kind of the point, you know?

I'd also agree, very strongly, with the point that the main character isn't fleshed out and so is difficult to identify with. It's the new millennium; main characters can speak now without the memory drag sound once presented. Hell, even a few lines about how fucked up this was would've been fantastic, but to make the game Isaac would've had to converse with the other characters, and that's an issue to me.

I don't think you can just rely on having the player automatically identify with your protagonist b/c s/he is playing the hero, anymore. (Not that you always could)

Finally, while the story isn't awesome, it's solid and while you do have to backtrack, they give you reasons for it, and open up new areas. I haven't found it to be a problem, and for me, going back to a place I left--where I KNEW things were fucked up-- made it more intense for me. YMMV.

Anyway, I'll save the rest for when I've finished the game and can do a little review of my own.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I really really enjoyed Dead Space and thus disagree with Yahtzee almost entirely for the first time as I can't help but think this was bitter for the sake of bitter due to his praise of Saints Row 2 last week, given his enjoyment appeared to creep into this review as his quick praises we big ones... not really emphasized though (plus due to the monsters reminded me of The Thing, not so much Event Horizon just because it was on a ship).

The review was funny still!

Mounce

Nov 6, 2008
I don't mean to try to either sound like an asshole, or to be offending anyone......Actually, I sorta am, but....

Is it just me, or is it extremely depressing to see so many god damn, and yes I'll say it, ASS KISSERS; towards Yahtzee... I hope even he can see it himself every time he or anyone else looks through the list of comments for every review that is made. No one should deny the alarming and pathetic nature of what would be considered Yahtee's fanbase, they sound nothing more than a bunch of ass sucking mindless ravaging Yahtsee-worshipers who know matter what will go all out and say:

ZOMG THIS WAS BEST REVIEW YET!!111! GJ YAHTSEEe! I LOL'D HARD!!!1one!1

The notable fact that they, or a great number of people say this for EVERY SINGLE REVIEW!....

Obviously since they are to be considered the fanbase, they will be of the first people to post a comment to each video, because they anxiously await each video as a force of habit or something, from their almighty lord! Hah. So if you clearly try to look up what I'm talking about, your best bet is to look at the obvious kiss-asses' at the first page of comments.

Honestly. I hope others see this too, or have been noticing this for quite some time, I just felt I had to blurt it out because I felt like it.

CHEERS!

- Mounce

TheZaius

May 7, 2008
Funny review.

I'll be waiting for a Wii Music review next week.

Or maybe a review of Mother 3 using the translation patch.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Mounce said:
No one should deny the alarming and pathetic nature of what would be considered Yahtee's fanbase, they sound nothing more than a bunch of ass sucking mindless ravaging Yahtsee-worshipers who know matter what will go all out and say:

The notable fact that they, or a great number of people say this for EVERY SINGLE REVIEW!....
What I always find silly and ironic whenever someone says this, is that they have often overlooked pages of comments where everyone has bashed Yahztee for tarnishing the game they know and love, whether or not they really do and/or are just fooling themselves. What I like about Yahztee is that unlike Gamespy, Gamespot and all these other people who want you to LIKE/BUY the games and praise every little bit of it, Yahtzee tells you what's wrong with the game, with is often quite hard for people who've already made up their mind to accept. That's why I like him, because here is someone who instead of focusing on the few positive things and blowing it out of proportion, tells you all the faults that the games have, and often there are many more negatives than positives.

What people are failing to see here, is that Yahtzee gave Dead Space both positive and negative marks, meaning that he actually liked the game to a small degree, but it will never be up there among his favourite games.

pokkuti

Feb 14, 2008
Mounce said:
I don't mean to try to either sound like an asshole, or to be offending anyone......Actually, I sorta am, but....

Is it just me, or is it extremely depressing to see so many god damn, and yes I'll say it, ASS KISSERS; towards Yahtzee... I hope even he can see it himself every time he or anyone else looks through the list of comments for every review that is made. No one should deny the alarming and pathetic nature of what would be considered Yahtee's fanbase, they sound nothing more than a bunch of ass sucking mindless ravaging Yahtsee-worshipers who know matter what will go all out and say:

Obviously since they are to be considered the fanbase, they will be of the first people to post a comment to each video, because they anxiously await each video as a force of habit or something, from their almighty lord! Hah. So if you clearly try to look up what I'm talking about, your best bet is to look at the obvious kiss-asses' at the first page of comments.

Honestly. I hope others see this too, or have been noticing this for quite some time, I just felt I had to blurt it out because I felt like it.

CHEERS!

- Mounce
I was once Yahtzee's ass kisser, but not anymore after this review, meh.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
empty_other said:
Red Alert 3 (still to buggy to be reviewed at this date, though).
Ever noticed the fact Yahtzee made more JRPG reviews then RTS ones? Right, considering he never reviewed a RTS it's not that hard.

I would guess FarCry 2 (considering he primarily plays shooters) Fable 2 (considering Fable was the first full game he ever reviewed in ZP) or Little Big Planet (considering his room mate is a die hard fan of that)

@Topic: Can't actually agree with the thing about Isaacs speechlessness breaking immersion. I actually prefer that to some bad ass action space marine protagonist synchronized by some uninspired third rate Hollywood actor so he can afford himself a can of peas. Right, the wifey thingy looks weird on the first glance but ... ah well, others already said it so why be redundant.

But then again, I had fun watching this ZP episode. Because that's what it is about. People actually hoping for a go or no-go from a single reviewer on a game in this day and age is pathetic and a sad reminder of why fascism worked so well. And people ranting out of their fanboy hearts here because Yahtzee rips on their little lovechild is actually far beyond pathetic and more of a reason for you to be put on the governments depopulation list. No, seriously.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Mounce said:
I've seen it too. Welcome on Earth dear visitor from planet Zog, here is your free t-shirt! Seriously, what do you expect? It's nice and comfy in your little niche but as soon you enter the mainstream you attract everyone and not just the few people that stumbled upon you by pure chance. And guess who that "everyone" is? Retards, primarily. And nowhere is it that obvious then in the big junkpile called the Internet. Ever played a multiplayer game? Welcome to shitty town. Do you really expect these people to morph into intelligent human beings when they enter a forum? Then you should read the comments on a youtube video - ANY youtube video. That should cure your delusions.

woodman650

Nov 7, 2008
The review is dead on... Dead Space is an overly-hyped waste of time. You feel no sense of accomplishment, levels are cramped, and the monster interactions are so damned repetetive. I sold my copy the same day I bought it. What blows is that publishers keep pumping out this crap because consumers' standards are so low... they want the same old stuff with a new coat of paint. It's like Event Horizon without a story. Go out and buy a plastic paint suit, crawl through some rusty drainage pipe and have your friend throw rabbid possums at you while you swing at them... it'll cost you a fraction of what the game does, entertain you infinitely more, and provide a lifetime of memories. You'll foget about this game 3 months after you beat it.

Mounce

Nov 6, 2008
Hiroshi Mishima said:
What I always find silly and ironic whenever someone says this, is that they have often overlooked pages of comments where everyone has bashed Yahztee for tarnishing the game they know and love, whether or not they really do and/or are just fooling themselves. What I like about Yahztee is that unlike Gamespy, Gamespot and all these other people who want you to LIKE/BUY the games and praise every little bit of it, Yahtzee tells you what's wrong with the game, with is often quite hard for people who've already made up their mind to accept. That's why I like him, because here is someone who instead of focusing on the few positive things and blowing it out of proportion, tells you all the faults that the games have, and often there are many more negatives than positives.

What people are failing to see here, is that Yahtzee gave Dead Space both positive and negative marks, meaning that he actually liked the game to a small degree, but it will never be up there among his favourite games.
I understand that people also bash him of course, when someone or something is popular, it is never judged the same by everyone, always different opinions. That is life! Hence why I added the little 'At the first' or first few pages, the first comment-posters at most XD

Anaphyis said:
I've seen it too. Welcome on Earth dear visitor from planet Zog, here is your free t-shirt! Seriously, what do you expect? It's nice and comfy in your little niche but as soon you enter the mainstream you attract everyone and not just the few people that stumbled upon you by pure chance. And guess who that "everyone" is? Retards, primarily. And nowhere is it that obvious then in the big junkpile called the Internet. Ever played a multiplayer game? Welcome to shitty town. Do you really expect these people to morph into intelligent human beings when they enter a forum? Then you should read the comments on a youtube video - ANY youtube video. That should cure your delusions.
I at least wish to cherish my 0.5% of my faith left in humanity!!! T_T...... DO YOU MIND?! Lol. Idiocy is everywhere, especially the internet, yes, I know that well, but either way. Just felt like saying what was on my mind for so long, one of those 'itchy' moments that you want something off your chest for the hell of it and to see what comes of it, whether a ban awaits or not.

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
Looking at the commercials, I had a definate feeling of Doom 3 all over again. WITH SPACE LAZORS.

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
Sounds like Yahtzee really just wants to see something new or fresh. A really well executed formula, no matter how creative and polished, is still a formula. I haven't played the game, so I can't say.

In terms of horror, a really well done horror film in my opinion is The Descent, btw.

Jaegermonster

Nov 7, 2008
I'm about a 1/4 way through this game and am enjoying it so far. Not the best game I've ever played but definitely woth my attention. I also wanted to post "Puke and Fuses" is fucking hilarious! http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/games/Thing/

Thanks Yahtzee

By the way Super Smash Brothers Brawl sucks Ox Balls.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I don't entirely agree your your review. I'd give it a 50% agreeability score (cause I know how much you like tagging a number value to what is essentually opinion). :)

I'll agree that the game is more of a Spook fest than real horror. The game was atmoshphereic and scary before I realised 1 minute later the back ground "music" was static and looped in its own way.

The movie comentations were also spot on. While playing Dead Space-- and enjoying it I might add, I thought, "This is basicly 'Aliens,' practicly verbatim." I later thought of Event Horrizion, but the spook tactics seemed to be much more Aliens to me. The nail that drove that opinion home was when help arived. I sighed, and placed a called it right then and there. I won't spoil it for the readers, but you know what happened. And yeah, it happened just like that in Aliens. ;)

Anyway, it was a fun game, utilsed all the genre staples that have been used in FPS and Horror games alike, and has warrented a few play throughs for me. :)

SamLowry

Aug 27, 2008
Has anyone noted how the plant-growing section of the Ishimura actually looked exactly like the "disco floor" in System Shock 2?

If it rips of anything, it's System Shock2, not Event Horizon (the Space Ship is EMPTY, the horror is psychological, all in the heads of the visitors), not Resident Evil (oh come on! Because of the same perspective? I guess all FPS rip off Wolfenstein, then).

____

I just have to add one thing.
At the moment, I have the opportunity to play 3 brand new games: Fallout3, DS and Command & Conquer. Regardless of anything that has been said here, I chose to keep on playing Dead Space. This, in my opinion, is worth it all. A game has to make you keep on playing. Like any other work of art or media like books, films or music, it has to be interesting first and all. I started to play them all, but DS kept my interest, Fallout will catch it later maybe and C&C will never make it past the first 5 minutes.

sixthcircle

Apr 11, 2008
i think the game was righteous - the only negative thing i can say i agreed w/in this review was the bit about the main char not speaking. that bugged the hell outta me. the action was awesome, the sci-fi aspect was done very well and if u used the pulse rifle the little dudes r easy to kill. neway - i am starting to lose my respect for yahtzee's reviews that go way overboard on good games...and the silent hill review was uncalled for...

alf1985

Oct 7, 2008
Well I guess I had it coming. I loved the game but still enjoyed the hell out of the review. But I laughed at my grandma when she threw her prostetic leg across the room so maybe Im messed up. By the way for any one who reads this, the Avatar pic is a joke. Get it, ? Never mind.

Mounce

Nov 6, 2008
For me personally, I agree to a point of view of course but even as Yahtzee had said that opinions exist and you play the game for what it is and fuck the reviewers, if you like it, that's all that matters.

For me I enjoyed the action and gameplay, story-wise is pretty much true, and I extremely hated that female that just bitches and whines and PMS's at you over the video every level, I despise that character.

Thankfully I had rented the game, played it 2 times, and grabbed every trophy, and so I'm at 100%, and will never have to play the game ever again unless I wish to buy it at a bargain bin 5 years from now to add to my gaming collection, it was good, and great, nothing bad as well as nothing mind blowing, but of course who would have thought a shooting-related game would have been mind blowing? (This doesn't queue anyone to say the name 'Bioshock', it wasn't mindblowing in any department as well, 'In my professional opinion'.)

anti_strunt

Aug 26, 2008
Concealed101 said:
I'm not going to say that Yahtzee didn't get the game because honestly every single person takes something different away from the game; however, I feel like he was looking for the wrong things in Issac's occasional interactions with Nicole. They weren't intended to create empathy with the character, they were intended to make you question whether or not Issac was hallucinating. The idea that an unarmed girl could survive alone on the Ishimura when trained military professionals were slaughtered makes no sense, especially considering that she seems to just walk out of the room without worry whenever you see her. Issac's lack of emotional reaction is more of a sign that on some level he understood he was fooling himself. And he was characterized, just never verbally. If you read his notes on each objective, you got a clear sense of who he was as a person-- utilitarian, logical, and level-headed. Which is precisely why he survives when others die.
I haven't actually played the game, but I have wonder about praising the characterisation of a protagonist who's simultaneously logical and level-headed, and possibly a hallucinating crazy. Combining paradoxical traits can make for great and very personal characters, but there needs to be something to tie the opposites together, otherwise you're just mixing random stuff in no coherent fashion, and that's bad writing.

Also, his comments about the level design being cliche strikes me as odd. You can clearly see a practical theme to everything. And the gothic influences are astounding. You can see an amalgamation of old architecture and science fiction. I mean, a ship with influences clearly derived from flying buttresses? How is that not original?
LOLWUT

Also, even though the story is cliche the religious overtones provided by the unitologist add a lot more depth than the standard sci-fi horror story contains. The obvious criticisms of accepting everything on blind faith and inadvertently worshiping the necromorphs as almost god-like because they have a relation to the marker, when in actuality the marker is meant to contain the necros? That's at least somewhat interesting on a story-telling level and it was certainly never explored in Alien/Aliens or Event Horizon.
Religion in a science fiction story? What a new and fascinating idea... Sorry. Didn't Alien 4 already include some speculation along those lines, Xenomorphs as inherently superior beings - the next step of evolution which we should embrace? I'm sure at least one of the movies explored, or at least mentioned the concept. Just replace a belief in the infallibility and necessity of evolution with religion and there you go, hardly a very long jump...

Techni said:

So the point of the game was to be unoriginal? (Sorry, a rather inflamatory way to put it.) Not necessarily a bad thing as such, but everything else being equal, I'd say unoriginality is inferior to originality, and thus a valid target of criticism, even if the devs admit it.
While the dilapidated status of the ship might make perfect sense in the context of the game, it's still unoriginal. The devs could have had the game take place before the environment deteriorated, but apparently they decided against trying something new, and it should rightfully be a strike against them.

I'd say it's basically a question of which half of WALL-E you want to put your Zombies in. Why does no one ever go for the second half I wonder? Seeing a futuristic Utopia overrun by slavering undead would make for a much more effective setting simply by way of shocking juxtaposition. But what do I know...

Yeah, it was intended.
Still lame... Like a fantasy adventure starring the ever-heroic J.R.R. Lewis von Eddings.

Still better than "Superfly Johnson", tho.

Wait, what's the name of the black character again?

Making an homage/parody/imitation is, in my opinion (and, like I said above, all else being equal, there are always other factors to consider) automatically inferior to creating (or at least trying to create) something that's actually original. Thus it's a perfect valid target of criticism, whatever the devs might say.

("It's not a bug, it's a feature; and it's not an imitation, it's an homage!")

Might still be a very good game, of course, but that would probably be as a result of solid craftsmanship as opposed to any inspired genious...

B4D 9R4MM3R

May 15, 2008
Of all the spaceships you could choose Yahtzee, why the Pyro GX? You're not trying to make some statement about Descent are you?

Anyway, great review as always.

xLiKx

Nov 7, 2008
wrong Yahtzee wrong. this game was awesome and was not as terrible as you made it seem in your "review". the best you could say about it was that the good parts were "fine"? do you have some sorta bias against EA or what? this game was polished and fun. even if they borrowed elements from other games, that doesn't automatically make it bad or generic.

your negative schtick is getting mad old. you call Dead Space repetitive? maybe you should look in the mirror.

GunslingerUK

Nov 6, 2008
Dead space completed it in 2days...brilliant graphics...but same old stuff, and for those who haven't noticed, but Yahtzee is wrong about the system shock. its more bioshock if you ask me, weapon upgrades, and the lack of nodes to upgrade with, other then the over the shoulder spaz look, the body armor looks like a smaller big daddy.

ALSO! one more thing before i leave this to rest, a big 1930's posters everywhere and the story line is pretty much the same as Bioshock......i shall leave it now because it has been punished enough.

Poptart Fairy

Jan 31, 2008
xLiKx said:
your negative schtick is getting mad old. you call Dead Space repetitive? maybe you should look in the mirror.
There's more to Yahtzee than a constant string of "OH NOES CONTAMINATION DETECTED" set pieces, tho'.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
People around these parts get so angry over opinion. :)

xLiKx said:
wrong Yahtzee wrong.
Telling someone their wrong is about as futile as trying to *force* someone to share that opinion.

HotKakes

Aug 2, 2008
Well, I'm going to take the high road and not sound like an uber-nerd by saying some of the statements made in the review were a little off such as the "exwife" comment. Overall, Yatzee has some well founded ideas and opinions on the game and I think he is correct in his views. I will not say that my opinion matches however because I had a blast playing the game. None the less, I think Yatzee is spot on the flaws of the game but I was never deterred by these problems. So, keep up the good work Yatzee.

skelegrow

Jul 15, 2008
bah. asking space ships to be homey is like asking a final fantasy game to NOT include "summons". it would ruin the atmosphere, upset the player, and make the game as a whole, altogether lacking.

...oh wait.

MikePhilbin

Mar 15, 2008
sorry,
I've missed the last few of these 'review's and had forgotten how much the ribs ache laughing along as you slaughter some corporate greyness.

well done, milad.

acebrainbuster

Oct 13, 2008
the game is ok i've been playing scary shit for years and yet when somthing like this comes along you just have to think"where would a bland game maker put a potentially deadly creature in a game like this? hmmmm" ether way it was fun non the less but games theses days need to just have more effort put in them. Hell get one of those fat 45 year old pigmen that haven't comeout of home for weeks becuase of a new game to make a new game addicts like that have some good ideas when they put some god dawm effert into it.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
At 1:30 to about 1:40...

Couldn't the same be said about HL2? The game constantly tries to tug our heartstrings with that blatantly obvious sidekick bullshit. Am I really supposed to give two shits about Alyx? Why? Because she constantly fawns over Dr. Mute with her doey eyes for no adequately explained reason? Gordon doesn't do anything she can't do... and she could probably do it all better because she doesn't need a powered suit! Oh, and whaddya know... a silent protagonist who uses a physics weapon...

I wonder if Dead Space is supposed to be a parody of HL2...

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
anti_strunt said:
So the point of the game was to be unoriginal?
Most games are based off other things. Gears of war was based off Resident Evil 4 for example. Being based off a movie doesn't make it unoriginal. Being unoriginal doesn't make something bad either.

While the dilapidated status of the ship might make perfect sense in the context of the game, it's still unoriginal.
And effing neccesary. It's the site of a disaster for christs sakes, you'd have to be retarded to expect it to be in one piece.

there are always other factors to consider) automatically inferior to creating (or at least trying to create) something that's actually original.
Completely false. Being inspired by something does NOT make something inferior to something not inspired by anything.

HeroOfLegend

Jul 18, 2008
I didn't think it was that funny this week. The most clever part in my eyes is when he says "It's repetitive," twice. Aw well, better luck next week (Fable 2?)

Agh-a-meme-knottle

Nov 9, 2008
If my learned colleague finds Dead Space boring, but, as he says at the end of his review, is "still hung up on Silent Hill," then this could mean one of two things. Either he's hung up on the original Silent Hill or the series as a whole.

In his review of Silent Hill: Homecoming, he stated that Silent Hill 2 was his favorite, which suggests he means the entire series -- otherwise, he'd have mentioned 2 in his review of Dead Space. Yet his reviews of Homecoming and Origins were largely negative, which suggests he doesn't favor the series at all.

The apparent contradiction makes more sense if seen as a case of poetic license: he pretends to despise games which annoy him slightly in order to emphasize the flaws for comic effect.

Or does he mean "hung up" in the romantic sense? Is he explaining to Dead Space itself that he can't offer his heart to more than one franchise at a time?

It's possible Yahtzee Croshaw is a boy who enjoys tossing invective at the girl on whom he has a secret crush. Perhaps his harshest appraisals of games are sometimes expressions of affection.

Short answer: He might have enjoyed Dead Space more than he lets on.

Thirtysomething

Aug 29, 2008
Ok, so I just got to the last boss in the game, and after witnessing the last few chapters I can't help but think
the whole "religion" sub-plot was a reference to Scientology.

I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere, and I don't know enough about Scientology to be sure though, but did anyone else think that or am I reading too much into it/interpreting it completely wrong?

Sar212

Nov 9, 2008
I like your reviews, but don't agree with you on Dead Space. The game may have some repetitive parts, but definitely not enought to object to. It really depends on what is being repeated -- if you are repeating enjoyable gameplay elements there is no problem. I mean take chess or baseball -- they are both plenty repetitive, but people still come back for more of the same.

I am not a hard-core gamer, so I also care about the graphics and environments. Those are incredible here. The visuals and the sound are very immersive. The game is scary, at least to me, enough to need to take a break every 30 minutes or so. I love the feeling of dread and intensity that stays with you during the game, but don't want a heart attack! So I take a break. :)

The immersion factor is greatly helped by the unique menu mechanism. While you use menu or map, you stay "in the game". This is brilliant.

The other thing I want to mention is that the game on easy setting is very friendly to casual gamer. The control scheme is very well done, and doesn't require some ridicoulous button combinations that take forever to master. I am sure you played a game that in order to pass to another level required you to press: button A + button B, followed by left trigger, followed by scratching your right ear with your left hand, followed by three short presses of button C. Dead Space doesn't have any nonsense like that.

One thing I don't like is the map in the game -- the control is not very elegant. But there is this path finding device your character has -- press it, and there is a thin "laser" line pointing the path to your next objective. This is very elegant, and is probably useful to both, casual and hard-core gamers.

I am not a fan of EA, but Dead Space is top notch. I hope people give it a chance.

Sar212

Nov 9, 2008
Thirtysomething said:
I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere, and I don't know enough about Scientology to be sure though, but did anyone else think that or am I reading too much into it/interpreting it completely wrong?
Absolutely! That was my first thought. I am actually surprised that they are not protesting the game.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Oh wow! An original game concept about deep space and zero-gravity! ...Wait, it's another Aliens rip-off. Sigh.

Spot on about characterization. I'm not going to sympathize with someone just because I'm told to.
actually there isn't much in the game that is similar to Aliens, a movie that I know line for line. and as for sympathy, well you don't have to feel tied to Isaac to understand that the game is fun... just a little cliched.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
I enjoyed the review (as I usually do) even if I thought that he was being overly harsh. As someone who completed the game and felt compelled enough to play it again, I think I got my money's worth out of it, and frankly, isn't that the point?

Honestly, I understand that ZP reviews tend to focus on the failures / inadequacies of a game-- that's the schtick, really. And while I wouldn't expect him to be slobbering all over Dead Space like many of the reveiewers out there, I had hoped he would've spent a bit more time lauding the positive, because there are a lot of good things in the game, and people- both the consumers who buy the game and the developers who make it- need to at least hear about what was done right, else they won't know what to keep.

(Just for the record, although others have covered it before in this forum, it bears reiteration- how they handled the HUD is brilliant, the audio production values are astonishing, and the zero-G mechanic is fantastic. Please game developers, more of that sort of thing! Just FYI: yes, I know that developers will not read the comment threads, so that statement is somewhat pointless, which is exactly why I wished Yahtzee covered those things in his review, because I know the Devs *will* watch that.)

I think the thing that people need to realize is that EA is not going anywhere, so rather than boycotting them or complaining about the blandness of their titles ad nauseum, you should probably do your best to encourage things like Dead Space, where they are trying something different, even if they only get it partly right.

And to the person who said that DS was the true spiritual heir to System Shock, and not Bioshock, I agree completely... now if we can just get EA to actually make SS3 since they own the rights to it, preferably with the same team as DS, then I would be estatic.

EDIT: I can't wait to see his Fallout 3 review. It's gotta be done-- I mean, how many sites and reviewers gave it perfect scores? (And yes, I played it all the way through. Yeah, it's a good game. Perfect? No. Freaking. Way.) Somebody has to call BS on that.

Thirtysomething

Aug 29, 2008
Just a quick thought: Can anyone name any game that does not contain any (or very many) repetitive elements?

Just out of curiosity, please, throw out some titles you think might fit the bill - because I myself would love to check out any game mentioned if I haven't already (or refute your claim because I love arguing on the internet!)

What I really mean by this is; it might be a valid criticism to call a game repetitive, but is it one worth making? And does it mean, if you're starting to make that criticism about games, that you should start looking for another hobby?

pilf

Apr 23, 2008
Hmm i feel oddly compelled to buy the game now.

(Evil genius was a bloody good game, I just wish they'd keep with the plan of a sequel)

Sar212

Nov 9, 2008
pilf said:
Hmm i feel oddly compelled to buy the game now.
This game is really worth it.The last time I had this much fun was when FEAR (PC) came out. But that one I need a walkthrough for, otherwise I would have never found all the things I needed. Dead Space doesn't really need it, Although I do sometimes use it just to see what is waiting for me on the other side of the door when the tension gets to be too much. Come to think of it, FEAR had a time-freeze weapon thing that is similar to Dead Space's stasis. I don't really use it as much here, but it is a great thing especially for gamers that can't push buttons fast enough.

One thing I forgot to mention is about the game "saves". I am playing the PS3 version and there are save points throughout the game and so far (I am just half-way through on chapter 7) there has always been a save point before a particularly difficult event. But what I really like is that when you die, you don't necessarily restart from the save point but most of the time it is much closer to the point where you died. So you don't have to repeat the sometimes long part between your last save and when you got killed. I hate games that make you go through the same thing over and over even though you've cleared those areas. My preference, of course, would be to save on demand at any point of the game, but if that is not possible, at least restart me close to the place I died, the way this game does. This is actually one of the main reasons why I don't finish games -- if I have to repeat parts over and over it becomes a chore instead of fun. I am not a good gamer so I tend to die lot more than I'd like. :)

I am probably not the only one who missed this, but the game has a set of tips/tutorials you can access at any time. But it is not very obvious where to find this. If you display the menu, you can navigate to the "Database" section. The database will initially show three tabs: Chapter 1, 2, and 3. That is where you see recordings and video logs from the chapters you went through. However, if you scroll to the left of Chapter 1, you will get the "Training" section and that is where you can read the tutorials. I didn't even know that this section existed until Chapter 4. The developers should change the UI for the database tabs and make the middle tab the active tab, not the left-most. That way, when you are in Chapter 1, the Database will show Chapter 1 tab in the middle, and you will see that to the left is a tab labeled "Training" and to the right is tab labeled "Chapter 2". It would be much more difficult to overlook the Training stuff that way.

Curses

Nov 10, 2008
No atmosphere, eh? The Mephistopheles could've used a few throw pillows...

(Of course, AGS doesn't necessarily allow you to unleash your inner Martha Stewart.)

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Hunde Des Krieg said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:

actually there isn't much in the game that is similar to Aliens, a movie that I know line for line. and as for sympathy, well you don't have to feel tied to Isaac to understand that the game is fun... just a little cliched.
I personally felt it strongly resembled a video game version of Aliens. You've got the envirment altertering goopy stuff, face hugger-like creatures. The flying creature may as well be Dead Spaces' face hugger. It creates the soldier creature you fight the most. That was just to name a few. Events are similar too, though they do not occure in order of Aliens, as it sounds like you might belive was insinuated in the other post. Such as when help 'Shocks' in. I'll refraim from specifics, but it's almost exactly the same result as in Aliens.

The phsycological aspects of the game (Marker religion) and effects of it on the living I felt was totally Event Horrizion.

I had these opinions in my first play through without watching this review (didn't exhist online at the time), or reading anything on the game. It was the animated comics that sold me on the game.

Chattermouth

Nov 5, 2008
Thirtysomething said:
Just a quick thought: Can anyone name any game that does not contain any (or very many) repetitive elements?
Olli and Lissa! oh... wait.. Um, Bubble Bobble! gaah.. Forget it.

solidstatemind said:
And to the person who said that DS was the true spiritual heir to System Shock, and not Bioshock, I agree completely... now if we can just get EA to actually make SS3 since they own the rights to it, preferably with the same team as DS, then I would be estatic.
Thanks, and yeah, the DS team doing System Shock would actually be interesting. Aside from the beasts combined with the Unitology thing, the few logs (audio, not wood) that lay scattered about the ship was one of the real SS flashbacks I got from it. There was one or two that almost gave me the creeps like the SS ones used to do (Anatoly Korenchkin, anyone?). With a few more masterful voice actors like that, not to mention bringing Ken Levine in to write the story and scripts, well.. They could be on to something.

Dead Space really is technically and audiovisually impressive, no doubt about that. And it was quite spooky at times. However, for a potential SS3 I demand nothing less than sheer terror and dread, which in SS2 was handled at least 70% by audio alone.

It's funny how so many discussions end up as System Shock dreaming. System Shock 2 must be like the Jesus Christ of videogames, or something, we all hope will return one day as a messiah of immersive creativity.