Zero Punctuation: Dead Space

Spider Expert

Mar 6, 2009
Who would decorate a mining ship nicely, especially one that big?
Also no atmosphere and repetitive? Buuulll.
I'll agree with the sympathy for a brick statement though, that made me laugh.

JakeNubbin

Jul 23, 2009
Eat shit space cowboy... i'm going to forgive every bad thing you said about this amazing game just for that. I don't know what it is but I found this game very atmospheric and the slow time mechanic actually to be necessary. I mean seeing a horrifying monster coming at you really fast is one thing but seeing all of its horrificness being slowly driven at you is terrifying. Oh well thanks for all the good stuff you said about it, maybe you just can't look at games the same way after playing the awesomeness that is saints row 2.

Linkassassin360

Dec 28, 2009
Hrm... I think his lack of a voice kinda was EA's attemp at making him seem like the Gordon Freeman of 3rd person shooters. The problem being 3rd person doesnt quite put you in his shoes so you see him as just a robot who can only scream. Lucky enough hes getting a voice in the sequel. Which will be as sweet as the first, but from the gameplay I've seen they are ramping up the desperation of encounters, especially one point where he gets sucked out into space, scrambles to cling to a spaceship, and has to despertaly shoot at a huge necromorph before it tears him in half

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Loved the Event Horizon reference.

Glad I'm not the only person that's seen it =p

Great review as always, been planning on playing it but haven't gotten around to it with all the other games I've got on my list.

greyseven

Jan 16, 2011
I thought it was interesting that you had an issue with Isaac Clarke's mute role when one of you favorite games is Half Life, home of Mr. Mute Gordon Freeman. (By the way I love Half Life too.) I didn't mind the lack of voice acting for Isaac in Dead Space, and thought it added into the overall feeling of the game. I'm interested to see a review of Dead Space 2, if you get the chance.

Jakovavich

Feb 22, 2011
Interesting how a combination (better sounding than rip-off) of a few separately unique and awesome games can sound so bad... (I've yet to play Dead Space) Anyways for me two things scare me in a video game: 1, when monsters jump out at you (like practically all of Doom 3) and 2, when you can't see the monsters but know that somethings there (like in Resident Evil 4 in the very beginning of the boss fight with Verdugo).

yaoinut

Dec 17, 2010
I think DS has some good concepts, making the monsters basically unkillable, having to settling for crippling them instead. Problem is, the desire to show off the monsters. I found the scariest moments the rare times I couldn't actually see the creature.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
S.T.U.D. said:
Good to know I don't have to play a game to be RIGHT. He pretty much mentioned everything I thought the game was going to be. And it all started with a logo... EA.
That is quite an opinion you have there.
A amusing critique validated your opinion on something you have not played...
Oi Vey!

S.T.U.D.?
More like C.H.U.D.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Thibaut said:
reg42 said:
Thibaut said:
PandyBear said:
As much as i love this game. i gotta agree with Yahtzee on this one.... like always xD
This.
Dude, this threads been dead for like a month. Don't necro.
Dude, why do you care? Or better yet, why are you here?
Dude!
I just beat the game, that is why I am here.
Just as an example of what someone would post something after the first five minutes it is live.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So i finished this game couple days ago. The game does borrow a lot from other games and movies, event horizon being the most obvious but then such classics like silent hill and resident evil does so aswell. It does get repetitive and somewhere in the middle you do start to wonder what more is there. Well at least they got one thing right, not too much money. most games jut shower you with money and ammo more than you can carry, this is one of those rare games where you have to actually buy the ammo you need by selling off other ammo. Though yes, ripper is probably a kill-all gun.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Ignoring the fact that the Necromorphs of Dead Space are mindless kill-crazy space-zombies, don't care that you can see them clearly, and aren't going to hide behind a corner giggling quietly while you stand there complaining about enemies refusing to stalk you like an imaginary yandere* girlfriend, let's talk about System Shock 2.

Being one of those individuals who had no interest in SS2 when it came out, I've spent the better part of my adult life listening to people off-handedly dismiss modern horror games as being "too much" like SS2. I finally borrowed a copy from a friend and do you know what conclusion I came to? SS2 is a barely average game more suited to the darkly cheeky humor of Portal (which rips off SS2 more blatalantly than Dead Space, not that anyone would call it out on that fact) than any claims on being the grandfather of modern horror games.

The controls are jerky, the game is buggy, the plot is paper-thin and gives itself away six hours before the "big reveal" scene, the inventory is a college dorm-room fridge of a mess and any sense of character development is ruined because your guns are made of tissue paper, hacking is the only skill that matters, and half-way through the game you get a powerful crystal melee weapon that will never degrade, and when you're able to beat hulking robots with missile launchers to death with what is essentially an alien baseball bat you're FAILING at the survival-horror aspect.

About the only real innovation this game can argue to have brought to the horror game genre is the inclusion of audio-logs meant to fill you in on the creepy goings-on that occured while you're character was asleep. Resident Evil had creepy journals and it was released a full 3 years before System Shock 2. The point is moot anyways, because its not like it was some Shakespearean leap to include back-story logs or even role-playing elements in a horror game; as the systems improved it was inevitable that they'd become prominent in video games in general; the concepts weren't going to be lost forever if SS2 didn't come along and do it. We don't hold up the first bread-slicer and call it the best just 'cause it did it first.

While we're on the subject of audio, let's talk about GLaDOS- I mean, SHODAN. In the first System Shock she was an honestly disturbing villain because she was in control of the station you were trying to escape. In System Shock 2 she's an extra-naggy Simon Cowell confined to a wheelchair, telling you to run out and do her errands while she sits in her computer eating all the virtual pies, ruining any sense of dread or loneliness you have (not to mention the fourth wall) by reminding us what putrid sacks of meat we are. Unlike the aformentioned GLaDOS, SHODAN has no deeper character nor an ironic sense of humor that points out her own flawed logic. Her antagonistic attitude would be more interesting if she weren't so flat, predictable, and evil for the sake of evil. Remember how they tried to do that in Dead Space 2 - the antagonistic voice of your former lover that can pop up to annoy you at any time like the laughing dog in Nintendo's Duck Hunt? Gets old fast, doesn't it? At least in DS2 they tried to shake it up near the end of the game, leaving her intentions temporarily ambiguous.

Oh, and if the Necromorphs are too unsubtle, how would one classify cyborg zombie ninjas in a horror game? If you were intentionally making a self-depreciating parody, then they're pretty awesome. They're the Reb Brown of survival-horror video games. But in a game that wants me to take it seriously, it's as subtle as fighting Albert Wesker at the end of Resident Evil 5: I kept waiting for a remix of "One Winged Angel" to break out. How does System Shock 2 offer more scares when it boasts perfectly lit corridors and its monsters announce their presence from ten meters away?

Dead Space (and games like Doom3) isn't perfect, but hate it for its own faults. Don't compare it to System Shock 2. The similarities are vestigial at best, Dead Space is far more consistent and polished in gameplay and narrative, and SS2 just can't hold up when you take a modern critical eye to it.

*Yes, I had to look this term up. Yes, I had to look on a hentai site.