Zero Punctuation: Dead Space

Dewnis

Nov 16, 2008
Techni said:
I can't believe he liked Saint's Row over this. Credibility lost.
They are different types of game, you can't compare them.
Saints row doesn't try to be a horror game and fails at doing so.
Saints row is trying to be a "shooter" so to say where you rampage and kill and destroy everything in nice explosions, which they succeed in doing.

So you fail.

heartborne

Feb 17, 2008
Yahtzee was right on point, DECENT gameplay and visuals but with a really bland plot. Around 60% into the game, I just wanted it to finish.
Keep it up.

ThinkerT

Nov 24, 2008
Thirtysomething said:
MorkFromOrk said:
Dead Space was not bad but not great either. It did feel a lot like Doom III and Prey in some respects. The anti-gravity gameplay was cool. I really disliked being locked in a room every time monsters showed up however. Part of the thrill of horror films is the main protagonist being able to escape the horror. At the very least you should be able to lure monsters into other rooms and pick them off. Too what's the point of locking all the doors for security when all the monsters come through vents, windows, and the ceiling anyways? Basically all it does is insure that YOU, the healthy human survivor, DIES.

I had to quit the game eventually around chapter 8 or so cause I just got sick of being locked in a room or hallway with everything and the kitchen sink being thrown at me. I'm not the type of person to waste hours of my life redoing levels till finally I luck out.

To be fair, the quarantine thing is illogical, but it only happens a handful of times. Much more often, you actually can escape the room, only to find the necromorphs will use the vents to stalk you wherever you run.
Arrghhh! Will people stop saying this? You have to think about it in context of how it would have been designed in reality, not in context of the gameplay. Think about it - whoever designed the security system wouldn't have assumed the contamination would travel through the ventilation system, they would have been concerned about isolating the contamination. If someone was trapped in the room, c'est la vie; it's better than the contamination getting out and infecting the entire ship. And only once security measures were undertaken and the room cleared of contamination would the room unseal. It makes perfect sense in how it would have been designed by a human engineer who wouldn't anticipate something like what's occurred in the game.

I enjoyed this game a lot, but I'm a casual gamer. Perhaps to experienced gamers it's repetitive and derivative, but without much previous gaming experience I found it hard to put down. I would agree that it's not exactly scary, but it is creepy and tense. Looking forward to the sequel.

Chattermouth

Nov 5, 2008
Dewnis said:
Oh and yes, this review was funny. The people saying otherwise are crippled fan-boys who don't want to realize the truth but rather want to live in a fantasy world.
That's an impressive chain of logic you've got there.
Following that kind of reasoning, everyone who owns a bicycle or car are all raging homosexuals, simply because I say so.
Good job.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
Dewnis said:
Techni said:
I can't believe he liked Saint's Row over this. Credibility lost.
They are different types of game, you can't compare them.
Saints row doesn't try to be a horror game and fails at doing so.
Saints row is trying to be a "shooter" so to say where you rampage and kill and destroy everything in nice explosions, which they succeed in doing.

So you fail.
No, your response fails.

Saint's Row tries to be a good game and fails at it in every way.
Dead Space tries to be a good game and succeeds on every level.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
anti_strunt said:
Techni said:
You managed to loose the tiny important bit where I said "Everything else being equal".
No I didn't. Being inspired by something doesn't make it inferior. Human thought tends to be inspired.

They elected to make it the usual "gunmetal brown" affair,
Only in certain areas. Others were red, white, green.

wgreer25

Good news everyone!
Jun 9, 2008
First review I really don't agree with.

I think Dead Space is a contender for game of the year. It had some mild innovations that were interesting and fit very nicely into the game and weren't overused (zero-G, no air, dismemberment). I kinda liked the story and watched the animated movie. The repetative statement is kinda bogus because Dead Space is no more repetative than any other mainstream title out there. My biggest gripe about the game is that ammo was too availible. I never once worried about ammo in the game, and I wasn't trying to be conservative with it.

So, I realy didn't agree with this review, but that is what makes a horse race, a difference of opinion.

anti_strunt

Aug 26, 2008
Techni said:
anti_strunt said:
You managed to loose the tiny important bit where I said "Everything else being equal".
No I didn't. Being inspired by something doesn't make it inferior. Human thought tends to be inspired.
(Quotes got mixed up, that should do it.)

Talk about long-distance communications; I suppose I should really wait a few weeks to reply, but what the heck, I haven't much new to add anyway. I still stand by my basic stance that bringing something completely new to a medium is a good thing. That doesn't make any innovative but poorly-crafted game better than any derivative but well-crafted one, but all else being equal yada yada... Eh, I've said it all before.

I value originality over being "inspired by", perhaps you don't. Call it a case of artistic difference.

EDIT:
Or to put it in different terms: it's not so much that inspiration is BAD (most everything is inspired by something, after all), it's just that inventing something new is usually (and considering all other factors blah blah) better. In my opinion at least.

illidan50

Nov 29, 2008
you are an idiot.my cousin told me about u and decided to see what u were like and u kno what i found out? you are a complete idiot who just rambles on about NOTHING.half the shit u say is not true and retarded.its like u just make up a bunch of ramdom shit.example...this review of dead space. u say the monsters are repetative...well what the fuck are they suppose to be?do u want them to just sit there sipping a cup of tea waiting for u to kill them? and another thing,they really arent repetative.oh wow they come after u,wait a min...they are SUPPOSE to come after u and kill you. take your fucking head out of your ass god damn moron,you dont kno shit!

StormyHotWolf88

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, we are pretty far in the game and I totally agree with you lol. After a while, the game did get predictable on when we were going to be attacked. The girl, Nicole, my brother and I were like.. um is that his wife or something? I did like the anti gravity bit. It seems a lot easier to kill them with the gravity off. But what I wish you had mentioned was the mini game in which you have to shoot down asteroids. We were fiddling with the controls for a while with the x and Y axis and the sensitivity. It was a poor system. Also I don't think he has much of a block. We found ourselves wide open for attacks a lot. Plus to help not get as startled we've been playing "Da Funk-Daft Punk" during play. Kills the suspense lol.

1_r3gr37_n0n

Dec 31, 2008
now i really had no problems with dead space except for two things: one being the huge fucker who could regenerate limbs and captain obvious and his sidekick apparent girl... i mean honestly all they did was state the blatantly obvious half an hour after the player found out about it. for example the fact i had to hear "aim for the limbs" 3 damn times (the 3rd room where i got my first gun written in blood, an audio tape some time later then the two assholes safely standing near the tram about 10 minutes after finding the damn audio tape... which here i am thinking sarcastically "no really, i would have never guessed, i thought i had to shoot them in the ass"), or when i stumbled upon said regenerating horrid abomination of mankind (or the remains of what was once part of mankind) and after shooting off both limbs to have them grow back i hear "you can't kill it, it can regenerate, run" (here i made for the exit looking back thinking it would follow me disappointingly seeing that it didnt even try to make it out of the door but crawled through the damn air ducts). the only real time one of their statements would have been good to hear would have been when the damn brute jumped through a blast door, i then thought about it and thought i would try the "KILL IT WITH FIRE" method to have it collapse right in front of me, to piss me off Zach Hammond only then tells me to shoot it in the ass (making all previous sarcastic statements ironic)...

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
ThinkerT said:
Arrghhh! Will people stop saying this? You have to think about it in context of how it would have been designed in reality, not in context of the gameplay. Think about it - whoever designed the security system wouldn't have assumed the contamination would travel through the ventilation system, they would have been concerned about isolating the contamination.
Airborne pathogens can travel through ventilation systems.

So the system fails again it seems.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
The really bizarre thing about this game is there is an animated movie prequel to it called Dead Space Downfall which looks like a cross between Aliens and an obscure anime called Lily C.A.T. with some small bits of Event Horizon and the B-17 part of Heavy Metal thrown in to top it all off. It doesn't fell like anything new but instead a felling of been there seen that and it was better in the previous versions.

mrhertz

Jan 6, 2009
new contest!! guess how many times yahtzee spits when he reads his text and get a travel to hawaii... with him ahahahahah

damn. worst thing on these fps is "kill demon A and all his clones" through all stages.
probably one of the bosses is a supersized demon A, or something that looks like...

YoungZer0

Nov 28, 2007
mspencer82 said:
Aries_Split said:
mspencer82 said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
YoungZer0 said:
Oh come on Yahtzee. You love Half-Life and Gordon Freeman also doesn't talk at all, so why is it here a problem?
First person perspective, and attachment to characters, and well-written script.
Really? At times during the review I had to keep reminding myself he was talking about Dead Space and not Half-Life 2.
...Your joking right? Because the Gravity Gun was useful in half life 2, the weapons were great, there were no annoying swarms of stupid bugs, I don't think you've played HL2.
The gravity gun was only useful to get the insane amount of crates out of your way in overly cluttered hallways. Other than that it was just an overly complicated way to make use of the physics engine. Yeah, you don't have to shake off bugs but the headcrabs were annoying as hell. I notice you didn't bother refuting the fact that HL has a mute protagonist that could easily be replaced by a plank of wood.

I played Half-Life 2 on PC shortly after it came out and later bought the Orange Box for Xbox 360 (check my gamer tag on my profile if you don't believe I played Half-Life 2 and its episodes). I don't hate Half-Life 2, I just think it's a really average, bland game.
Thank you, this is exactly my opinion on HL1/2.