Zero Punctuation: Dead Space

Necromaniacal

Oct 2, 2007
I think he was a little OTT with this one, the game is good, the story sucks a fat one granted but its a survival horror/action game, its going to suck, you just ignore the story and tear some aliens to bits.
But hes is rather spot on, im hoping when he said still hurt on silent hill, he meant he went ott on the next survival horror game he found

*Shrugs* funny though

Feb 13, 2008
Naff music intro.
Good review, another one to the 'buy only on Steam at $4.99' pile.

However...

We didn't say Evil Genius was a crime simulator, we said that it was the closest thing to creating that game that already existed. You could, of course, build one....

:p to Mr. Grumpy.

gungravesan7

Mar 11, 2008
Ok ppl... if you think it's a rip off why don't YOU come up with anything better?? I stil think it was a very good game and I couldn't care less if Yahtzee said it was lame - I stil liked it...

And still - it was a pretty good review this week - I wanted to see what Yahtzee had to say about the game and I did - that's what makes me happy :)

MiNiKi

Nov 3, 2008
ok now I'm sure of it... I must get this game :p great review! and I have to say I was expecting a good story out of this one? oh well, he did say its fun. Although repetitive.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
haahah a college mate was hammering on at me today to buy this game and I thought it looked shite. I played Doom3 and Prey. Must admited I absolutely hated Prey but Doom3 was ace. Rip offs are the suck.

Long story short, I'm definitely not buying this game.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Gets it pretty much pegged, I had the same problem with Isaac, I really WANTED to sypathize with him, but he's nothing and meaningless.

I am also still hung up on Silent Hill, nothing is scary after Pyramid Head at 2:00am.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I agree a lot about the lack of characterisation. Some games can accomplish the mute hero quite well, like Half-Life. But Half-Life is more about what goes on around him, not Gordon himself. There were many sections in Dead Space where I thought my character should be having some kind of reaction, but he seems to take all the shambling horrors, and mutilations of people very well.

One thing I do have to say to the game's credit is that it gives a very visceral feeling to the melee attacks. Unlike RE4, where Leon acts like a stuntman for a martial arts movie, Clarke just flails his arms heavily in an effort to snap some limbs off. No dexterity, no finesse. And seeing as a great many games are taking a martial arts approach to melee, it's refreshing to see someone not very good at it.

Solo508

Jul 19, 2008
Good review but I was kind of dissapointed to see Dead Space as this weeks game. I would much rather it had been Far Cry 2 or Fable 2.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Necromaniacal post=6.76063.889862 said:
I think he was a little OTT with this one, the game is good, the story sucks a fat one granted but its a survival horror/action game, its going to suck, you just ignore the story and tear some aliens to bits.
But hes is rather spot on, im hoping when he said still hurt on silent hill, he meant he went ott on the next survival horror game he found

*Shrugs* funny though
I can't believe I'm posting in a ZP thread, but I just have to point out that you can't excuse a bad element in a game, because it's associated with the genre. It's like saying any Resident Evil title is forgiven for bad camera angles, because it's something the series is known for.

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
Wow he was really mad in this one. The review was good, but I think Im gonna buy this game anyway. Heard so much god stuff about it from others, and I haven't played system shock before.

gunnnnkjkjkj

Oct 2, 2008
Nice episode. as early as this morning i was hoping this weeks ZP would be about Dead Space.

Game rules :p

pokkuti

Feb 14, 2008
Quite disappoint with review this time, not because he bash the game that I like mind you.
Talk about Originality, I never seen any game come up with the idea of Dead Space HUD, which is to say, brilliant. The designs are also spectacular and believable. What would you expect from mining spacecraft? A night club and colorful neon sign? I never mind the rip-off things if it implement well.

Twinkle twinkle little star gives me the creep.