Zero Punctuation: Dead Space

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I knew that over the shoulder view was familiar. Anyway, I liked it. Not his best one but still. Do Little Big Planet next.

S.T.U.D.

Jul 17, 2008
Good to know I don't have to play a game to be RIGHT. He pretty much mentioned everything I thought the game was going to be. And it all started with a logo... EA.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Now he is right about being the game being repetative, but just because it's on a space ship with zombie like things doesn't make it Aliens+ Event Horizon. He does have a point about those little crawly things on the floor...They just dont die!

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
To Yahtzee's gripe about the bland environment - it's supposed to be like that. Like an aircraft carrier or something similar, that ship is a utilitarian, working environment, not a day spa or something.

I think this review is a classic example of "Yahtzee bitching for the sake of bitching", regardless of whether the game is actually any good or not. He even said it himself, he's taking his frustration at Silent Hill out on Dead Space. And it cribbed notes from other horror pieces, so what? Wasn't Yahtzee's point n click game, the horror one on the space station, pretty much a ripoff of Event Horizon too?

Leliel

Nov 8, 2007
Just started playing this a couple nights ago and I'm enjoying it much more than that other System Shock 2 wannabe, Bioshock, which had tons of atmosphere but just lacked a certain intangible something. Dead Space has it. I'm not sure if it's the excellent sound design or the aforementioned in-game HUD or something else that adds to the immersion. Also, while I have no idea why Stasis or Kinesis need to exist I love the industrial tools used for improv weapons. Combat where you aim for limbs and other extensions is more interesting than just shooting them in the head or torso like every other game. :p

So yeah, story not original, but the new packaging on it is nice. Very solid, well polished game IMO.

tsaweeos

Nov 5, 2008
HAHAHA!!!

Everything you said was soo true!
I loved how much you pointed out how repetitive it was because it really is.

I hated how you had to return to some levels in the later parts of the game.
It's like playing the same level all over again. Kind of like Halo 1.
At best, the game is worth renting.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
lolz, awesome review, id heard people saying it was scary too but i wasnt sure whether or not to belive them
you know... because they're cowards XD
im glad you reviewed dead space ^-^

MichaelH

May 9, 2008
Bought it, played it, and I was genuinely creeped out in the beginning, especially from the ambient noise. But the chills wear off quickly.

I would have bet money that Yahtzee would have come down on the sheer ease of the game, though. Ammo is everywhere, so much so that you end up selling most of it, and you never once feel like you're in over your head or in a hopeless situation, which is kind of a key point for survival horror games.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Wow Yahtzee, since you're Saint's Row 2 review I've notice how you're approach to "funny" has changed. I like the way you're not only focusing on negative remarks to be funny (although those are still there, but not as forced as before). I like how you're actually critizizing the games (and it seems that you're acually playing theses games now too) becuse you also give us POSITIVE aspects of the game and actually go along and make fun of those positives (now that is smart). Nice too see a fresh new Yahtzee.

Emperor_Z

Sep 24, 2007
I really enjoyed Dead Space. Even though I only rented it I finished it twice so far (once on medium normally and again for the Maxed Out achievement) and I'm about to do it once more on impossible and with just the plasma cutter. Yeah, the game does tend to abuse the pop-out-and-startle you moments, but there is some genuinely creepy atmosphere.

They totally failed with Isaac's girlfriend though. Without any emotional connection there's nothing to distract from the obvious fact that she's definately not normal. The way she was constantly saying "make us whole again" makes it blatantly obvious that she's related to the necromorphs in some way.

I fully agree on the little bugs though. I was killed by them more than any other enemy. They're basically a one-hit kill if they get to you and they tend to appear from around corners, so unless you're really taking your time you're going to run right into them and get chewed up.

Chattermouth

Nov 5, 2008
I disagree as well. It had excellent atmosfear and the graphics were quite decent. I'm satisfied when I can max absolutely everything and still get great framenumbers. Crysis sort of gets my rig's confidence down, so that's fabulous. Soundeffects were absolutely fantastic and in the whole, it pretty much embodies the type of game it was meant to be.

The dismemberments were very cute, and as for creatures popping back up; that rarely happened to me. The first half hour or so freaked me out just enaugh to keep up the massacre until i was quite satisfied it couldn't harm me even if it was to pop back up.

In fact, after the winged bastards who turn corpses into monsters turned up, I pretty much started mauling every human corpse I came across to keep them from being potential monsters at a later time. Stomping the heads off dead women satisfied me somewhat, I tentatively admit. On a sidenote this is in my opinion a far greater "spiritual successor" to System Shock 2 than Bioshock ever was.

I can find myself playing this a few times more.
Anyway, you know what they say about opinions.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
i knew he was going to review this game. anyway, great stuff as always. it didn't make laugh out loud but it did bring up some pretty good points. maybe he should review dead space downfall, the prequel to the game, to get a good scare. next up should be fable 2 then gears of war 2.

Thirtysomething

Aug 29, 2008
gungravesan7 said:
Ok ppl... if you think it's a rip off why don't YOU come up with anything better?? I stil think it was a very good game and I couldn't care less if Yahtzee said it was lame - I stil liked it...

And still - it was a pretty good review this week - I wanted to see what Yahtzee had to say about the game and I did - that's what makes me happy :)
If you watch it again and listen carefully you'll see that he didn't actually conclude it was lame.

As always when he reviews a game I really like, I still find myself agreeing with most of his points. I liked the game enough to forgive it for it's shortcomings though and as long as a game does that I consider it a success.

I gotta admit though I still screamed like a little girl when they pulled the "playing dead" monster trick on me for about the 6th time in the mining section and shouted "EVERY FUCKING TIME JESUS CHRIST MY HEART-" at the screen. And I love the game for that.

I just really wish I'd finished this before I started playing Fallout3 as the gap since my last session with deadspace is getting longer and longer.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
While I haven't played the game, and you may be right about it's repetative state (hell, most horror games like that are, such as Doom); I have watched the movie Dead Space Downfall and have to say it's a really good sci-fi anime horror film. Atleast they didn't tack on the usual tiny black and white freaky asian girl that is always popping up for a cheap thrill.