Zero Punctuation: Dead Space

emptyother

Feb 12, 2008
Damnit! Of all the games in this new wave of games, why o'why did he have to choose the ONLY game who already months ago proclaimed itself to be repetetive, boring and without any personality... No, i haven't played Dead Space, but NO amount of trailers ive seen for it have made me EVER want to play it.
So, did Yatzee sit down a few weeks ago, and said to himself... "Let us see... A game in space, with a nameless mute and masked character, looming around a gray, loomy and gritty space ship... Let us play it and see if they got it right THIS time..."? I bet my money they did NOT get it right this time either.

PS: But it was, like his other reviews, worth watching this review as well. And maybe next time he will review a game more fun to play, like say Far Cry 2 (which i KNOW he will slaughter, because this game has plenty of faults, but in the end it is quite entertaining) or Fallout 3 (i am pretty sure he will be pleasantly surprised to find very little wrong with this game) or Red Alert 3 (still to buggy to be reviewed at this date, though).

vlanitak

Sep 4, 2008
Awesome review as always Yathzee, I am definitely going to play this game.
Oh and I saw Event horizon about four years ago and I still have nightmares....

GodbeStrongMon'

Oct 20, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Naff music intro.
Good review, another one to the 'buy only on Steam at $4.99' pile.

However...

We didn't say Evil Genius was a crime simulator, we said that it was the closest thing to creating that game that already existed. You could, of course, build one....

:p to Mr. Grumpy.
I kind of feel bad for suggesting Evil Genius in the first place... wait no I don't. I'm sorry it wasn't a crime simulator, but it's really a spy movie simulator where you play as the villain who tries to kill the spies. It seems like the kind of game Yahtzee would love for the spectacle of it all, and then hate because the sheer amount of time it takes to build an evil empire.

Dead Space review was hilarious as always.><
==
()

Carthight

Oct 13, 2008
Meh, I watched my bro play it. Creepy enough at first, but then if got dull. The Dryer Boss was kinda weird though.

Monstah alienz designs were about as creepy as I expected them to be. Ugly buggers.

Because Isaac didn't talk, I couldn't feel anything for him. If he did, his dialogue would have sucked and I would have enjoyed watching him die. Therefore, I'd rather have the mute and at least prtentd to like him.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Yet another awesome review.

Going to annoy you now and say REVIEW FALLOUT 3!!!

Vromnir

Sep 23, 2008
gungravesan7" post="6.76063.889866 said:
Ok ppl... if you think it's a rip off why don't YOU come up with anything better?? I stil think it was a very good game and I couldn't care less if Yahtzee said it was lame - I stil liked it...quote]

Ok, let me put it in perspective for you...

Let's say that you make a good RPG. You think that its the best game ever and we should all be of the same opinion. Now, the person next to you hates a game unless it had 10 different kinds of aliens to blow up, and 20 different weapons to blow them up with. So that person makes a game to "show other game designers how it's done." That game has an ok story, and ok characters, and the shooting mechanics are some of the best of its generation. But you like RPG's, so you dont like the game at all.

Both of you think that you've created a masterpeice, and both of you think that the other game is absolutely horrible. The differing opinions between people make it impossible to make a game thats "better" than any other game, only to make a well-rounded game that has a good possibility of pleasing a wide variety of gamers.

Games also build off of each other. Programmers take what they think is good from a game, and use it in their own game. I think that the measure of quality for a game is how many elements of it are taken into another game, or even better, a game in a different genre. To have an element of a shooting game put into a puzzle game well would mean that the shooting game was a really good game, if elements of it could be used well in it's opposite genre. Many games use the engines of other games to make the quality rise, and i've never heard a complaint about too many things using the unreal engine.

That's my insight for today.

Crap! I messed up the quote!

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
I tend to agree mostly with Yahtzee's reviews but I have to say I disagree with this one. Dead Space to me, while yes, not exactly original, is heaps of fun and it really draws me in. But then again, I'm playing on the hardest difficulty setting where ammo is non existent dead is an 'Oh ***' away.

mike1921

Oct 17, 2008
gamer_award said:
aaa, Yahtzee, admit it, u love this game:pmany people sayd this game will be a pice of...... before it eaven got out, but now lock at it, it cool.
AHHH!!!!! reported for being such an eyesore.
By the way, I just noticed he said that the game is repetitive twice in the list :)

ZenKai

Nov 5, 2008
Hey, am I the only one that's bothered by Escapist's new tag on ZP? Sayeth they:

"Zero Punctuation is The Escapist's groundbreaking video review series starring Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. Every Wednesday Zero Punctuation picks apart the games so you don't have to. Called "hilariously cutting ... first legitimate breakout hit from the gaming community in recent memory" by Boing Boing, see why gamers love it and developers fear it."

Errr guys...? I've been following Yahtzee since Fully Ramblomatic was his only gig, and I remember when he accepted your offer to produce for you. "Ocean full of bottles"? "Boat of cash bricks"? Yeah. Then.

Now, from what I understand, Croshaw has TRIPLED YOUR TRAFFIC, and has pretty much accounted for the lion's share of the site's popularity. I guess what I'm saying here is: don't you think the phrase "Zero Punctuation is Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's groundbreaking video review series appearing on The Escapist?" would have been a bit more accurate? I mean, IGN would love to have him. So would 1up. I mean, hell, I'D love to have him. I'd make a site specifically for it. And PEOPLE WOULD COME.

Don't go patting yourselves on the back here too much Escapist. You discovered a goldmine. You lucked out. You did NOT "break ground" or "pioneer" a new series. Yahtzee did. You were simply the network lucky enough to pick it up early.

I don't know if this comment is a ban-able offense. I've been watching for years now and have never felt the need to comment before. I have no doubt that my "yeah, you're RIGHT!" would go as unheeded as the rest, so I'm unlikely to comment again. I don't much care. But I think it's arrogant to take credit for what made you. I mean, I don't walk around saying that ZenKai is the groundbreaking result of a coupling technique he introduced, starring his parents..

.Ricks.

Sep 10, 2008
Great review as always. Although it's a game that I love I agree with his review as usual, albeit for it's sheer "funnyness" xD.

lessergnome

May 30, 2008
I love how every review is full of fun and interesting phrases to quote while laughing your ass off in front of the plebeians you call friends.

"like being in a tumble dryer with a shoggoth"

Fiskmasen

Apr 6, 2008
gungravesan7 said:
Ok ppl... if you think it's a rip off why don't YOU come up with anything better?? I stil think it was a very good game and I couldn't care less if Yahtzee said it was lame - I stil liked it...

And still - it was a pretty good review this week - I wanted to see what Yahtzee had to say about the game and I did - that's what makes me happy :)
Did he hurt your wee little feelings? Yahtzee isn't some God-like being that can decide if a game is good or not, it's just his personal opinion (better vocalized than some, granted). If YOU liked the game, then good for you. Keep playing it. It's a review, not a sentence to Mt. Shittiness.

MattClassic

Feb 21, 2008
Didn't really enjoy this review. I guess it's because there weren't any valid points presented against the game that I haven't already heard a thousand times or even thought of myself (everything in it is a ripoff of everything else, not really scary, poor character development, blah blah blah).

BTW, the little leaper critters can be taken out quite easily by the Force Gun. A single blast is usually all it takes.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Excellent review. I was actually wondering whether or not to get this game, but I doubt I will now. I've heard from other places too that it gets very repetitive once you've seen everything, and besides I think I'd rather get Fallout 3 anyway.

Thirtysomething

Aug 29, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
This isn't really a "survival horror" - so I'm sure he came in with the wrong idea. This is more of a "3rd person horror shooter". Those who think the game is scary are just a bunch of people who jump at everything they see in the corner of their eye. Which is pretty good for this game.
No, not really, not in my case at any rate.

I don't think there's any point playing a game like deadspace if you aren't willing to allow yourself to feel fear and tension while playing it. So to do that, I turn off the lights, turn up the volume, and sit with my nose half a metre away from my 24" monitor so that I'm totally immersed, and then I dread every corridor, corner and door, and I jump and shout when the stabs occur - and I thoroughly enjoy the experience.

This doesn't mean I'm always jumping at shadows in the corner of my vision in real life (except when it's really late, and I've only just come out of a long session with one of these kind of games), it's just my way of getting the most out of playing horror games, and watching horror films too for that matter.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
While I originally had some interest in this game, I suddenly had a thought.

Creepy spaceship full of mutant/zombie alien things? Oh no they're going to rip off System Shock 2 aren't they?

And yeah...they kinda did. I mean it's not really a true ripoff of anything given how much inspiration they took from everything, but there's still the System Shock-ian plot structure mixed with a silent protagonist that makes me go "ugh" and wonder if we can get one year this console generation that doesn't have somebody taking from System Shock 2. Seriously EA, while I don't actually want you to make System Shock 3, I also don't want you to say "durrs not interested" and then make something in the same vein.

As to the "spaceship decor" question. I think it's important to make an environment look like people lived in it before it all went to hell, and some people have said that Dead Space kind of misses that.

HadesWTF

Jun 4, 2008
Never thought I would have to say this but.

Not liking a game just because everyone else does doesn't make you cool. Whats next? Fallout 3 sucks or some other lie out of your ass?