Zero Punctuation: Dead Space

Swampmarshexpress

Nov 5, 2008
Looks like a fun rental.

mairsil said:
gamer_award said:
aaa, Yahtzee, admit it, u love this game:pmany people sayd this game will be a pice of...... before it eaven got out, but now lock at it, it cool.
\

I am geting so sick of people who have the grammar skills of a dead person.

And I really liked dead space as a game. It is like all other horror games you have to play with the lights out. they should state that in the manual I think
Irony.

SunoffaBeach

Sep 24, 2008
Too many fanboys here.

Don't ever let one single person make the decisions for you!
Don't ever stop questioning someone's opinion!
Always think for yourself!

andsoitgoes

Mar 6, 2008
gungravesan7 said:
Ok ppl... if you think it's a rip off why don't YOU come up with anything better??
I AM SICK of hearing this.

Does that mean if you can't create a complex symphony, you can't critique one?!? Fer fricks sake.

Calling it a rip-off, which is an honest description of it that damn near everyone agrees on, is TRUE.

Anyway - What *I* want to know is who the hell is the guy he consistently puts on "blast" as the kids say picture-wise?? I know that the face is familiar, but it's getting frustrating!

Help, anyone?

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Someone else already said there are far too many fanpeople in here, and judging from the comments, I have to agree. I thought his review was pretty darn good. He never said it was the worst game ever, as many are seeming to get the impression. He said it had a fair ammount of good things going for it, but that it never really tried to push itself to be better. He was it was good, yet rather bland, and from what I've seen, it probably really is.

I'm reminded of Yahtzee's comment on Brawl, where he says that if you truly enjoyed the game and think it's perfect, that someone saying it sucks shouldn't bother you. The fact that someone does raise hell when he says a game they like isn't the best thing ever, must somehow signify that in the back of their head that person doesn't truly think it is.

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
I really enjoyed Dead Space, but he did nail most of its flaws. Although, I don't consider any of the flaws he pointed out to be a major impact on my enjoyment of the game.

Oh well, you can't expect everyone to like the same things you do, especially not Yahtzee.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
chronobreak said:
I'm waiting for someone to design a game with no guns, no monsters, just walking around in a foggy mansion hearing some screaming sounds with ambient music. That's the only thing that would make survival horror fans happy.
-and that is why I loved Ocean View Hotel so much in VTM:B - and the majority of the Penumbra games.

Demir23

Oct 19, 2008
Nicely done. The characterization of Isaac was dead on, I also appreciated how you picked up on his name. Clever, eh? XP

kaimarion

Sep 13, 2008
I haven't bought "Dead Space" myself but I have played it at a friends house so from what I have experianced this game is pretty fun, has beautiful graphics, great soundtrack and while it is not original it is a shit lot better than SOME of the games it "rips off".
This game has got to be a 8.5/10

Anyway keep up the good work Yahtzee ;) .

EDIT: I think next weeks review should be "fable 2" as it deserves a good bashing for being half finished. If your wondering what I'am talking about when I say half finished I mean there is very little to do in the game and there is a very poor selection of weapons and clothes.There is one major thing that annoys me it is it was most probably done on purpose to make players purchase DLC to even get half a game.

the farkinator

Nov 6, 2008
Sadly, I didn't find this one totally satisfying. Hopefully he can turn his attention to GoW2 so he can rip it apart and do another mailbag showdown. That was hilarious.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
I really have to wonder what difficulty Yahtzee was playing on. Easy, Medium? With those two ammo is practically given away like candy so much that you could conceivably buy almost all the available weaponry before chapter three!

On hard mode though, Ammunition is scarce, period which really pumps up the 'worry' factor so to speak. Granted, it's frustrating later on, but it really puts a sense of vulnerability. You aren't some super awesomely trained individual able to fight off thousands of aliens by highly intense and rigorous training, but purely by dumb luck.

Nohra

Aug 9, 2008
Y'know, I rather liked the 'horror' aspect, not so much because of the OH SHIT TEN THINGS POPPED UP part, but more the "...wow, what if that actually existed" part. This of course doesn't really have to do with the game itself, but the backstory of the "necromorphs."

As for the complaints about it being all busted up, well, the USG Ishimura (USS Kill Beast Buffet) WAS a fairly nice place, you can sort've see from the less damaged areas. Look at the Captain's Quarters, for one example. Thing is that the Necromorph growth kinda got every-fscking-where and started destroying systems in its growth path. I mean, you can't really fault the dev team for trying to show that off, even if it does result in "cliched half failing starship."

The zero gravity was insanely great though, and the muting of all sound in vacuum (except sounds you made) was a great immersion factor. And really, the citation of "can't feel for character" holds plenty true with other voiceless characters, like Gordon Freeman (granted Valve made you feel for the characters around you, instead of Gordon himself). I also liked the minor HUD-less approach they went with, putting your healthbar on your spine, your stasis energy bar next to that, and popping up video/inventory in a hologram in front of you. I'm surprised you make no mention of the lack of "suck thumb under table to regenerate health" mechanics, Yaht.

Yaht, if you ever get the time away from new releases, I'd kinda like to hear what you think of Prey.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Yeah, who IS that guy? He was on the box for "Captain Bland's Monotonous Adventure", he's in the picture as Isaac's wife...hell, he's in almost every review.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
The Sorrow said:
Yeah, who IS that guy? He was on the box for "Captain Bland's Monotonous Adventure", he's in the picture as Isaac's wife...hell, he's in almost every review.
the picture for average guy, thats a really good question sorrow.

TheDevilsJoker

Aug 13, 2008
Im glad somebody else on these comments mentioned how its got influences from The Thing aswell. It basically lends from so many classics across the mediums that it is pretty amazing overall. Seeing the dead wife and other hallucinations is a BIT over the top for the homage to event horizon though, pretty much a carbon copy.

STILL, loving the game so far. (Only up to repairing the comms)

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
It was fun to watch AND I didn't have to watch it twice to read all the captions! Wooooo!

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Key word 'Atmosphere', I always look up these games on Youtube.com or download a game play video because most of these games are just not that much fun. All Yahtzee's points are true and it seems no one is aiming to be clever or original anymore, it is all about the money!

Games with great atmosphere like Metroid Prime, Starcraft, Halo 1, Ocarina of Time, etc. The developers need to use these games as an example.