Zero Punctuation: Dead Space

killridemedly

Dec 5, 2007
Well, to be fair, Event Horizon ripped off of Warhammer 40k. And I can't imagine the "tear-a-hole-in-space-and-have-demon-space-ooglies-crawl-out" was a novel concept when WH40k did it, either.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
NewClassic said:
Pointlessly, I'm sure, as no one actually reads what anyone says in these threads, just posts their own opinions. Call me hypocrite if you want. I know, I'm doing it too.
I actually try to read the first 3 or 4 pages if I get to the comments late, and if there are lots of pages, I will also peruse randomly and see what else is said.

That said..
Indrid Cold said:
I'm still amazed at the number of people here who base their game purchases on Zero Punctuation reviews. Do you own anything other than Psychonauts, Call of Duty 4 and Portal? Honestly.
While Yahtzee's review of the Prince of Persia trilogy inspired me to seek the games out again, I am familiar enough (or own/have played) with the games to know that he's almost always right on the mark with his reviews.

And in the very few cases where I don't fully agree with him, I can still see his point and why he made it. In the case of this week's review, I really think he made a lot of good points, commenting on both good and bad aspects of the game, yet making his funny/witty remarks that he is known for. So really don't see why so many people are going up in arms because he said Dead Space was a "meh" game.

JojjeE

Apr 21, 2008
He has a few good points but I generally disagree.

When you think about it, Isaac is pretty badass.

Oh look, a freaky alien latching onto my torso? Wait, is he going to rip off my head?
FUCK THAT SHIT.
I'll rip him off and bash him to hell with my gun!

baba44713

Sep 25, 2008
He had me on "why doesn't anyone build spaceships which would be a nice place to live?" bit.

Seriously, why does every futuristic spaceship has to have the interior of a WWII submarine with about 90% of the light bulbs gone bust?

Chattermouth

Nov 5, 2008
NewClassic said:
"...I'm going to wax poetic a bit here. Pointlessly, I'm sure, as no one actually reads what anyone says in these threads, just posts their own opinions."
QFT.
People not reading at least SOME of the previous posts really negate the term 'forum'.
It loses the discussion element and becomes a list of statements.

Furthermore, I actually prefer a main character who shuts up. When the character you're playing (The way you want to play them!!) suddenly decides to speak, more often than not, what he says is absolute crap, and a direct contrary to what you would have wanted them to say.
Besides Lo Wang, of course. Me and him think alike.

I also liked the above comparison to Gordon Freeman, as they are completely alike. And don't give me any bullshit about the scriptwriting. It can't be better if there's nothing there. Freeman's mindset isn't touched upon one itty bit. The only thing that's set is his education at MIT. So is Isaac's duty/position on the ship. The rest is up to the player.

(SLIGHT SPOILER) In fact, I'd prefer Isaac didn't remove his helmet at all, even though the obvious reason for it is to make him appear finally relaxed and vulnerable.

Pietho

Nov 6, 2008
I can't wait until something truly unique comes out. Until then, I'll laugh at the repetition.

good review... as always...

inthefade

May 28, 2008
Christ! Do the intros and outros have to be so damn loud? I listen to this after my roommates have gone to sleep, and they probably wake up thinking the world is ending.

Adilos

Nov 6, 2008
I would like to know how long Yahtzee was playing the game.
Did he get to the part with the monster-worm-thing that comes out of the wall?

I think that wasnt new, but very entertaining.
Question: Is there an other game in which ripping of body parts is that much important to kill an enemy? Isn´t that something new?

IMO this game is awesome.
This game fulfils all his functions. It entertains you.
Just like a lot of movies out there.
Not a pioneering, groundbreaking concept, but very good in his function. To entertain.

another nice review though.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
Yahtzee raises some interesting points, but what it all really boils down to is that you can cut enemies limbs off. That's sells it for me!

Concealed101

Nov 5, 2008
I'm honestly disappointed by all the people in this thread who mock the game then end with "I haven't actually played it but I've watched videos (or something similar)." Seriously? Just because Yahtzee tells you something is "meh" you automatically believe him? Go read other reviews. Gamespy gave it a 5/5 and compared it to HL2 and Bioshock in terms of quality. That's not to say that they're right and YAhtzee is wrong but merely that opinions differ and if you only listen to one person how will you be sure you're truly experiencing the best games for you?

Poptart Fairy

Jan 31, 2008
Speaking as someone who's recently played the game through on hard, I have to agree with him.

The game is fun and interesting, sure (any developer who doesn't copy DS' HUD mechanic needs to be beaten with a blunt instrument), with the combat (QTE melee is wonderfully visceral and so much better to watch due to Isaac being clumsy and straight forward with his technique) being rather engaging. Beyond that though...eh.

People keep telling me it's all about survival, an all-encompassing fear that swallows you and forces you to use tactics to conserve every last scrap of ammo you get. Unfortunately, despite having a fully upgraded RIG suit and plasma cutter, I still had enough plasma on me to single-handedly slaughter several planets worth of Necromorphs. Once there was no worry about losing cash or ammo (which came pretty early on for me), the game lost huge amounts of tension.

Good, yes, but as he says...could have gone so much further.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
mspencer82 said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
YoungZer0 said:
Oh come on Yahtzee. You love Half-Life and Gordon Freeman also doesn't talk at all, so why is it here a problem?
First person perspective, and attachment to characters, and well-written script.
Really? At times during the review I had to keep reminding myself he was talking about Dead Space and not Half-Life 2.
...Your joking right? Because the Gravity Gun was useful in half life 2, the weapons were great, there were no annoying swarms of stupid bugs, I don't think you've played HL2.

Indrid Cold

Jan 30, 2008
Concealed101 said:
I'm honestly disappointed by all the people in this thread who mock the game then end with "I haven't actually played it but I've watched videos (or something similar)." Seriously? Just because Yahtzee tells you something is "meh" you automatically believe him? Go read other reviews. Gamespy gave it a 5/5 and compared it to HL2 and Bioshock in terms of quality. That's not to say that they're right and YAhtzee is wrong but merely that opinions differ and if you only listen to one person how will you be sure you're truly experiencing the best games for you?
Thank you. ZP still makes me smile once every so often, but I'm getting utterly sick of the "Well, Yahtzee says it's bad, might as well not even try the game out for myself" mentality that seems to pervade these forums.

Nov 6, 2008
Am i the only person who notice 'Bleep Bloop'? i think it's an 'obscure internet referance, and if it is Yhatzee has just put an even bigger gap between himself and my other favorate (non-fictonal) people!! love the reviews anyway - even if i dont always agree.

PS am i the only person who really likes his opening theme? i donno, my friends do, but maybe it's a british thing ... or maybe he's just as mad as us!