Zero Punctuation: Dead Space

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Indrid Cold said:
Concealed101 said:
I'm honestly disappointed by all the people in this thread who mock the game then end with "I haven't actually played it but I've watched videos (or something similar)." Seriously? Just because Yahtzee tells you something is "meh" you automatically believe him? Go read other reviews. Gamespy gave it a 5/5 and compared it to HL2 and Bioshock in terms of quality. That's not to say that they're right and YAhtzee is wrong but merely that opinions differ and if you only listen to one person how will you be sure you're truly experiencing the best games for you?
Thank you. ZP still makes me smile once every so often, but I'm getting utterly sick of the "Well, Yahtzee says it's bad, might as well not even try the game out for myself" mentality that seems to pervade these forums.
Except I wasn't going to try the game in the first place because I'm boycotting all things EA until they grow the fuck up and stop treating their paying customers like criminals.

Also the thing to remember about reviewers for review sites and magazines is that if they don't give good reviews then companies get their panties in a bunch and threaten to pull advertising.

And you can't have that. Ever.

Now I'm not say EA is using their industry power to influence reviews, but that's entirely likely.

I am also not saying this game can't be enjoyable.

kalaim

Feb 12, 2008
Hmm. It's half the concept of Event Horizon and hhmmm.. let's say 60% of space horror movies. true but i had a good time playin it and it's not so bad... it is just that the plot completely lackin' of ingeniosity and phony as possible.

[Out of subject] http://bizarrocomic.blogspot.com/ > Look! Yathzee got cloned... :D [/Out of subject]

MercFox1

Jun 19, 2008
Again, I think many people here are missing the point here. From his very first review, Yahtzee has been different in that he focuses on the things that deaden the game experience, or make the game less enjoyable. In some respects, Yahtzee has a theoretically much easier job with his reviews: The good aspects of a game vary for most (some would rank story, gameplay, graphics as their most important quality or some prefer a mix), but the things that make a game bad (poor programming, lazy texturing, strange dialogue, weird gameplay mechanics) are usually easy to agree upon. Yahtzee just has to then interject his trademark humor into the mix, and BLAM! instant classic.

Unfortunately, basing your choice of games on Yahtzee's approval alone means you are not a gamer at all. You would probably own The Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, Psychonauts, Painkiller, and Saints Row 2 (judging on games (that I can remember) that had positive receptions), and that's it. This brings me to my point: The best review is the one you give yourself. You will find aspects you can't stand, things you absolutely love, and decide if you really like this game. Often this happens after you've bought the game, so it's too late to make any budget constraints; but things like demos, previews, videos, and Gametap rentals help that. Instead, do what I do: laugh your ass off at Yahtzee and how funny he is when he lampoons a game.

But, hey, what do I know; I only read game reviews to give me selfish vindication that "Damn, I liked this game. I'm glad people agree with me."

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
I'm about 2/3 through the game, so; grain of salt here.

The crack about the name of the character was pretty weak, especially since the developers came right out and said that they were doing it in honor of those two authors. Making fun of that was the fish in a barrel comment.

Dead Space does wear its influences on its sleeve, and that's legit for critique; however, I don't exactly see what they problem is with the environments. They would be pretty, (the atrium level shows this off) but the ship is a wreck; that's kind of the point, you know?

I'd also agree, very strongly, with the point that the main character isn't fleshed out and so is difficult to identify with. It's the new millennium; main characters can speak now without the memory drag sound once presented. Hell, even a few lines about how fucked up this was would've been fantastic, but to make the game Isaac would've had to converse with the other characters, and that's an issue to me.

I don't think you can just rely on having the player automatically identify with your protagonist b/c s/he is playing the hero, anymore. (Not that you always could)

Finally, while the story isn't awesome, it's solid and while you do have to backtrack, they give you reasons for it, and open up new areas. I haven't found it to be a problem, and for me, going back to a place I left--where I KNEW things were fucked up-- made it more intense for me. YMMV.

Anyway, I'll save the rest for when I've finished the game and can do a little review of my own.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I really really enjoyed Dead Space and thus disagree with Yahtzee almost entirely for the first time as I can't help but think this was bitter for the sake of bitter due to his praise of Saints Row 2 last week, given his enjoyment appeared to creep into this review as his quick praises we big ones... not really emphasized though (plus due to the monsters reminded me of The Thing, not so much Event Horizon just because it was on a ship).

The review was funny still!

Mounce

Nov 6, 2008
I don't mean to try to either sound like an asshole, or to be offending anyone......Actually, I sorta am, but....

Is it just me, or is it extremely depressing to see so many god damn, and yes I'll say it, ASS KISSERS; towards Yahtzee... I hope even he can see it himself every time he or anyone else looks through the list of comments for every review that is made. No one should deny the alarming and pathetic nature of what would be considered Yahtee's fanbase, they sound nothing more than a bunch of ass sucking mindless ravaging Yahtsee-worshipers who know matter what will go all out and say:

ZOMG THIS WAS BEST REVIEW YET!!111! GJ YAHTSEEe! I LOL'D HARD!!!1one!1

The notable fact that they, or a great number of people say this for EVERY SINGLE REVIEW!....

Obviously since they are to be considered the fanbase, they will be of the first people to post a comment to each video, because they anxiously await each video as a force of habit or something, from their almighty lord! Hah. So if you clearly try to look up what I'm talking about, your best bet is to look at the obvious kiss-asses' at the first page of comments.

Honestly. I hope others see this too, or have been noticing this for quite some time, I just felt I had to blurt it out because I felt like it.

CHEERS!

- Mounce

TheZaius

May 7, 2008
Funny review.

I'll be waiting for a Wii Music review next week.

Or maybe a review of Mother 3 using the translation patch.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Mounce said:
No one should deny the alarming and pathetic nature of what would be considered Yahtee's fanbase, they sound nothing more than a bunch of ass sucking mindless ravaging Yahtsee-worshipers who know matter what will go all out and say:

The notable fact that they, or a great number of people say this for EVERY SINGLE REVIEW!....
What I always find silly and ironic whenever someone says this, is that they have often overlooked pages of comments where everyone has bashed Yahztee for tarnishing the game they know and love, whether or not they really do and/or are just fooling themselves. What I like about Yahztee is that unlike Gamespy, Gamespot and all these other people who want you to LIKE/BUY the games and praise every little bit of it, Yahtzee tells you what's wrong with the game, with is often quite hard for people who've already made up their mind to accept. That's why I like him, because here is someone who instead of focusing on the few positive things and blowing it out of proportion, tells you all the faults that the games have, and often there are many more negatives than positives.

What people are failing to see here, is that Yahtzee gave Dead Space both positive and negative marks, meaning that he actually liked the game to a small degree, but it will never be up there among his favourite games.

pokkuti

Feb 14, 2008
Mounce said:
I don't mean to try to either sound like an asshole, or to be offending anyone......Actually, I sorta am, but....

Is it just me, or is it extremely depressing to see so many god damn, and yes I'll say it, ASS KISSERS; towards Yahtzee... I hope even he can see it himself every time he or anyone else looks through the list of comments for every review that is made. No one should deny the alarming and pathetic nature of what would be considered Yahtee's fanbase, they sound nothing more than a bunch of ass sucking mindless ravaging Yahtsee-worshipers who know matter what will go all out and say:

Obviously since they are to be considered the fanbase, they will be of the first people to post a comment to each video, because they anxiously await each video as a force of habit or something, from their almighty lord! Hah. So if you clearly try to look up what I'm talking about, your best bet is to look at the obvious kiss-asses' at the first page of comments.

Honestly. I hope others see this too, or have been noticing this for quite some time, I just felt I had to blurt it out because I felt like it.

CHEERS!

- Mounce
I was once Yahtzee's ass kisser, but not anymore after this review, meh.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
empty_other said:
Red Alert 3 (still to buggy to be reviewed at this date, though).
Ever noticed the fact Yahtzee made more JRPG reviews then RTS ones? Right, considering he never reviewed a RTS it's not that hard.

I would guess FarCry 2 (considering he primarily plays shooters) Fable 2 (considering Fable was the first full game he ever reviewed in ZP) or Little Big Planet (considering his room mate is a die hard fan of that)

@Topic: Can't actually agree with the thing about Isaacs speechlessness breaking immersion. I actually prefer that to some bad ass action space marine protagonist synchronized by some uninspired third rate Hollywood actor so he can afford himself a can of peas. Right, the wifey thingy looks weird on the first glance but ... ah well, others already said it so why be redundant.

But then again, I had fun watching this ZP episode. Because that's what it is about. People actually hoping for a go or no-go from a single reviewer on a game in this day and age is pathetic and a sad reminder of why fascism worked so well. And people ranting out of their fanboy hearts here because Yahtzee rips on their little lovechild is actually far beyond pathetic and more of a reason for you to be put on the governments depopulation list. No, seriously.

Anaphyis

Jun 17, 2008
Mounce said:
I've seen it too. Welcome on Earth dear visitor from planet Zog, here is your free t-shirt! Seriously, what do you expect? It's nice and comfy in your little niche but as soon you enter the mainstream you attract everyone and not just the few people that stumbled upon you by pure chance. And guess who that "everyone" is? Retards, primarily. And nowhere is it that obvious then in the big junkpile called the Internet. Ever played a multiplayer game? Welcome to shitty town. Do you really expect these people to morph into intelligent human beings when they enter a forum? Then you should read the comments on a youtube video - ANY youtube video. That should cure your delusions.

woodman650

Nov 7, 2008
The review is dead on... Dead Space is an overly-hyped waste of time. You feel no sense of accomplishment, levels are cramped, and the monster interactions are so damned repetetive. I sold my copy the same day I bought it. What blows is that publishers keep pumping out this crap because consumers' standards are so low... they want the same old stuff with a new coat of paint. It's like Event Horizon without a story. Go out and buy a plastic paint suit, crawl through some rusty drainage pipe and have your friend throw rabbid possums at you while you swing at them... it'll cost you a fraction of what the game does, entertain you infinitely more, and provide a lifetime of memories. You'll foget about this game 3 months after you beat it.

Mounce

Nov 6, 2008
Hiroshi Mishima said:
What I always find silly and ironic whenever someone says this, is that they have often overlooked pages of comments where everyone has bashed Yahztee for tarnishing the game they know and love, whether or not they really do and/or are just fooling themselves. What I like about Yahztee is that unlike Gamespy, Gamespot and all these other people who want you to LIKE/BUY the games and praise every little bit of it, Yahtzee tells you what's wrong with the game, with is often quite hard for people who've already made up their mind to accept. That's why I like him, because here is someone who instead of focusing on the few positive things and blowing it out of proportion, tells you all the faults that the games have, and often there are many more negatives than positives.

What people are failing to see here, is that Yahtzee gave Dead Space both positive and negative marks, meaning that he actually liked the game to a small degree, but it will never be up there among his favourite games.
I understand that people also bash him of course, when someone or something is popular, it is never judged the same by everyone, always different opinions. That is life! Hence why I added the little 'At the first' or first few pages, the first comment-posters at most XD

Anaphyis said:
I've seen it too. Welcome on Earth dear visitor from planet Zog, here is your free t-shirt! Seriously, what do you expect? It's nice and comfy in your little niche but as soon you enter the mainstream you attract everyone and not just the few people that stumbled upon you by pure chance. And guess who that "everyone" is? Retards, primarily. And nowhere is it that obvious then in the big junkpile called the Internet. Ever played a multiplayer game? Welcome to shitty town. Do you really expect these people to morph into intelligent human beings when they enter a forum? Then you should read the comments on a youtube video - ANY youtube video. That should cure your delusions.
I at least wish to cherish my 0.5% of my faith left in humanity!!! T_T...... DO YOU MIND?! Lol. Idiocy is everywhere, especially the internet, yes, I know that well, but either way. Just felt like saying what was on my mind for so long, one of those 'itchy' moments that you want something off your chest for the hell of it and to see what comes of it, whether a ban awaits or not.

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
Looking at the commercials, I had a definate feeling of Doom 3 all over again. WITH SPACE LAZORS.

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
Sounds like Yahtzee really just wants to see something new or fresh. A really well executed formula, no matter how creative and polished, is still a formula. I haven't played the game, so I can't say.

In terms of horror, a really well done horror film in my opinion is The Descent, btw.

Jaegermonster

Nov 7, 2008
I'm about a 1/4 way through this game and am enjoying it so far. Not the best game I've ever played but definitely woth my attention. I also wanted to post "Puke and Fuses" is fucking hilarious! http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/games/Thing/

Thanks Yahtzee

By the way Super Smash Brothers Brawl sucks Ox Balls.