Zero Punctuation: DeathSpank & Limbo

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
angelblack said:
Awww, no starcraft 2 :(

Oh well, entertaining nevertheless.

edit: it was practically the first RTS I finished since I don't like this genre and it was still awesome.
what do you say yahtzee, screw Halo Wars and start with this one?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7938-Extra-Punctuation-On-RTS-Games

OT: Is Limbo available on PSN too by any chance? Also, the last line was the best part: "Starcraft 2 can continue sucking it."

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
persona J said:
transformers isnt bland or unchallenging u tard, how many games do u no that have transforming robots and if u find it easy bump up the dificulty u moron.
Adamantium rage!

killerbread

Oct 21, 2009
yer Northampton was in it! it was kind of insulting it but tbh it is a shit hole or as he put it a far away land of fantasy

drdamo

May 17, 2010
Is it me or is Yahtzee abit more frustrated as usual?
I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with a certain personage of the opposite sex starting with an R, hah!

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
To those upset about Starcraft 2: he said in his latest Extra Punctuation article that he simply doesn't care for the RTS genre. Go to said article if you want to read/discuss further.

To those upset about War for Cybertron: grow up. I like the game as well, but consider two things. One, he just personally finds it bland and unchallenging; no sense ineffectually nipping at his heels for daring to have a subjective opinion. Two, one of the game's biggest strengths is the multiplayer aspect; that's all well and good, but how many times has Yahtzee asserted that a game should be able to stand up on single player alone? Oh, right... many, many times. He doesn't care for it and even less so when it is online only.

Roninraver

Dec 2, 2009
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:
thats not my point, he said he wasn't going to review it because he felt his opinion carries little weight on the subject (thats new I know), i understand that, i just don't think the cheek is nessesary on something he said himself he is inexperienced with, and with which he has no intentions of becoming aquainted with for that matter.
That hasn't stopped him from reviewing JRPGs and SC2 is so accessible even non-gamers get into it. That whole excuse that he would be too inexperienced regarding RTS doesn't hold weight. Besides the the single player campaign plays more like a hybrid between point and click adventure and RPG with a RTS as a base.
If he decides to review it after all i will be only too happy alright?
But that doesn't change the fact that he said he isn't going to, nor does it change the reason he gave for that, my point is if he isn't going to review it like all the other games he pokes fun at, then he can keep the single sentence comments about it to himself.
Or, he can say whatever the Hells he wishes, at whatever length he wishes, about whatever topic he wishes. Y'know, like you yourself are allowed to do. Just who in the heck do you think you are, dictating to someone else what they shall or shall not say?

He says he doesn't plan on a Starcraft 2 critique, so that bars him from ever making mention, passing or otherwise, of the game again? And it gives you license to try and e-police any comment he makes until he decides to do a proper review, and "earn the right" to his opinion?

How about no? How about, he says what he wants to, when he chooses. And you can do the same. Without the need to justify yourself to anyone else.

Or do you plan on retroactively going back through your lifetime and filming a snarky fast-talking critique complete with animations to justify any offhand comment you've ever made, as you seem intent on doing so to Yahtzee. Quid pro quo.
Hey, I belive in free speech and all, but just because I can run down a street half naked carrying a pigs heart and loudly uttering satanic rituals (sounds like an awsome dare btw) doesn't mean I should. And when you claim to be a professional on something, a certain level of etiquette is usually anticipated.
in his extra punctuation, he gives a reasonable and inoffensive explanation as to why he won't be reviewing sc2, i commend him for this.
What I don't understand though, Is why he just had to go and ruin that by making a unessesary and altogether offensive comment without any follow up to vindicate his opinion.
It seems to me that if anything he could have just summarized the polite way of saying it, within about 1 sentence. The way he wrote it seems like the written equivalent of giving all the people hoping for an sc2 review the flip!
Yes yahtzee can say whatever the hell he wants, does that mean he should, or for that matter, even has a reason to?

I have free speech and i can say whatever I want so you know what?
Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
can you do anything about it? Of course not i have free speech silly!
was it even nessesary? no.
If it was nessesary could i have put it in a more polite and reasonable way? yes.
i hope you are getting the picture now, if not there isn't a whole lot more i simplify for you.
Couple of things. First, opinions don't need vindication. You're perfectly welcome to think that rocks are far too rocky, or that the color purple has far too much blue in it. Claims of fact need to be vindicated, opinions can be baseless as the day is long.

Second, I didn't see it as offensive at all. But then, I'm not one of the people that seem to keep pushing, jabbing, and pestering at him for a Starcraft 2 review. I don't see the comment he made as a jab at the game (because as he's said, he basically doesn't give a flip about the game good or bad), but rather as a jab at the people that won't take no for an answer and keep pushing for a review they know he doesn't want to do. I fully support this action.
People that won't take no for an answer, will not take no for an answer regardless of how well you expound upon your reasoning, nor will any amount of nicety in your delivery help. So a "suck it" is just as good as a three paragraph exposition for these people. They still won't accept the "No" but at least you didn't waste unnecessary time and energy on it. The people who read Extra Punctuation got the full breakdown of the why's and why not's. The people that spend 5 minutes here once a week got "suck it."

What this seems to boil down to is, you got your feelings hurt. You were offended by something someone else said, and now you're going to cry about it. It isn't so much that he expressed his opinion, but the way in which he chose to express it. That and I think the fact that he chose to express his opinion AT ALL based upon your comment.

The only thing I can say to that is, toughen your hide. It's a big world out there, and sometimes people say things that will make you feel not good. You have two choices.

A.) Get butthurt when someone says something that doesn't jive right with you. Take offense, and rain down righteous indignation upon the offender.

B.) Realize that offense is a choice. There is no such thing as something being patently offensive, as nothing in this world offends everyone. Therefore, when you find yourself offended, you have chosen to be offended. You can just as easily, choose to not be offended.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Alar said:
lacktheknack said:
Good Lord, I hope he gets off the Starcraft II thing fairly quickly. Just leave it alone.

And I desperately want Limbo, but I don't have an Xbox. WAAAAH.
Gets off? What do you mean? That he stops complaining about it, or that he completely ignores it? He only made one mention about it, as far as I know. I found it amusing, like him once again smacking at the rabid fanboys who constantly send in requests for him to review games.

Sure, I'd like him to review it as well (partly because the best experience was the single-player, and he prefers single-player and I'm interested in what he has to say), but I don't understand your statement here.

Again, not trying to be rude, just don't know what message you're trying to get across.

This review did indeed amuse me. I also do not have an Xbox, and therefore will not be enjoying the delight and woe these games have to offer.
If you read Extra Punctuation, you'd understand. He will never review Starcraft II, I hate the fanboys as much as anybody, but I want him to ignore it.

savagecam

Mar 22, 2010
Hilarious, as usual. It was good to get some perspective on Limbo in particular, as IGN, G4, and everyone else was going nuts about it. (I don't have X360) Also, I suppose I can see why Yahtzee thought Transformers: WFC was bland and unchallenging. He only plays the single player parts of games (mostly), and the campaign was definitely the weaker part of the game. This is coming from a Transformers fanatic and WFC fan. Online multiplayer is awesome, but if you don't play that, you're left with the campaigns which were, well, OK. They were like the Transformers version of CoD: MW2's campaign. There to give the game a story and provide more content, but it really just backs up the multiplayer.

Yahtzee, great video again. Maybe a Disciples III review? It's the only new release I've played recently. Plus I think you would rip it apart. Which would be awesome.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I got a mention in a Yahtzee video!

Ish...
So did I! Well... My avatar did. Well... no so much a mention as a picture, But Still! :D
Too bad Limbo is so short... and Too bad I don't own an Xbox. :(
Deathspank sounds... interesting... although I'm more of an "arty f*g".

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:
thats not my point, he said he wasn't going to review it because he felt his opinion carries little weight on the subject (thats new I know), i understand that, i just don't think the cheek is nessesary on something he said himself he is inexperienced with, and with which he has no intentions of becoming aquainted with for that matter.
That hasn't stopped him from reviewing JRPGs and SC2 is so accessible even non-gamers get into it. That whole excuse that he would be too inexperienced regarding RTS doesn't hold weight. Besides the the single player campaign plays more like a hybrid between point and click adventure and RPG with a RTS as a base.
But that doesn't change the fact that he said he isn't going to, nor does it change the reason he gave for that, my point is if he isn't going to review it like all the other games he pokes fun at, then he can keep the single sentence comments about it to himself.
Or, he can say whatever the Hells he wishes, at whatever length he wishes, about whatever topic he wishes. Y'know, like you yourself are allowed to do. Just who in the heck do you think you are, dictating to someone else what they shall or shall not say?

He says he doesn't plan on a Starcraft 2 critique, so that bars him from ever making mention, passing or otherwise, of the game again? And it gives you license to try and e-police any comment he makes until he decides to do a proper review, and "earn the right" to his opinion?

How about no? How about, he says what he wants to, when he chooses. And you can do the same. Without the need to justify yourself to anyone else.

Or do you plan on retroactively going back through your lifetime and filming a snarky fast-talking critique complete with animations to justify any offhand comment you've ever made, as you seem intent on doing so to Yahtzee. Quid pro quo.
Hey, I belive in free speech and all, but just because I can run down a street half naked carrying a pigs heart and loudly uttering satanic rituals (sounds like an awsome dare btw) doesn't mean I should. And when you claim to be a professional on something, a certain level of etiquette is usually anticipated.
in his extra punctuation, he gives a reasonable and inoffensive explanation as to why he won't be reviewing sc2, i commend him for this.
What I don't understand though, Is why he just had to go and ruin that by making a unessesary and altogether offensive comment without any follow up to vindicate his opinion.
It seems to me that if anything he could have just summarized the polite way of saying it, within about 1 sentence. The way he wrote it seems like the written equivalent of giving all the people hoping for an sc2 review the flip!
Yes yahtzee can say whatever the hell he wants, does that mean he should, or for that matter, even has a reason to?

Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
If it was nessesary could i have put it in a more polite and reasonable way? yes.
i hope you are getting the picture now, if not there isn't a whole lot more i simplify for you.
Couple of things. First, opinions don't need vindication. You're perfectly welcome to think that rocks are far too rocky, or that the color purple has far too much blue in it. Claims of fact need to be vindicated, opinions can be baseless as the day is long.

Second, I didn't see it as offensive at all. But then, I'm not one of the people that seem to keep pushing, jabbing, and pestering at him for a Starcraft 2 review. I don't see the comment he made as a jab at the game (because as he's said, he basically doesn't give a flip about the game good or bad), but rather as a jab at the people that won't take no for an answer and keep pushing for a review they know he doesn't want to do. I fully support this action.
People that won't take no for an answer, will not take no for an answer regardless of how well you expound upon your reasoning, nor will any amount of nicety in your delivery help. So a "suck it" is just as good as a three paragraph exposition for these people. They still won't accept the "No" but at least you didn't waste unnecessary time and energy on it. The people who read Extra Punctuation got the full breakdown of the why's and why not's. The people that spend 5 minutes here once a week got "suck it."

What this seems to boil down to is, you got your feelings hurt. You were offended by something someone else said, and now you're going to cry about it. It isn't so much that he expressed his opinion, but the way in which he chose to express it. That and I think the fact that he chose to express his opinion AT ALL based upon your comment.

The only thing I can say to that is, toughen your hide. It's a big world out there, and sometimes people say things that will make you feel not good. You have two choices.

A.) Get butthurt when someone says something that doesn't jive right with you. Take offense, and rain down righteous indignation upon the offender.

B.) Realize that offense is a choice. There is no such thing as something being patently offensive, as nothing in this world offends everyone. Therefore, when you find yourself offended, you have chosen to be offended. You can just as easily, choose to not be offended.
DUDE chillax! I thought that by now i had made it perfectly clear that i couldn't give a flying fuck about whether ot not he reviews starcraft OK?!
my point is he could afford a bit of manners about how he expresses his opinion.
for instance, He could have just said "I will not be reviewing starcraft 2, ever.
i just don't see the point of being unduly rude, if they aren't going to listen do matter what you type then why not type something witty even reasonable fans are capable of enjoying, i mean thats what he is known for right?

Oh and about your comment of 3 paragraphs being to much trouble (not required to make point btw),
the man plays video games for a living, im sure he has a few minutes to write a few paragraphs.
I'm not even gonna bring up how he doesn't seem to finish most games he reviews. (OOOPS)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hilarious ending! And Limbo...I enjoyed playing it, did think it was a little short but oh god...that spider

AgentLex

Dec 15, 2009
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:

Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
If you're honestly this upset over such a frail comment, I'd suggest staying away from Zero Punctuation reviews altogether.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I played the demos for both games, and to be honest I found neither of them to be particularly interesting. Deathspank is humorous, but, as Yahtzee rightly stated, frustrating - and having played Sacred 2 on the 360, there's really no reason for me to play Deathspank; as it's the same game done poorly, but with much better writing...

Limbo, on the other hand, seemed boring. I understand what it's trying to represent; but the "art" is so minimalistic that it doesn't register as art to me. It's just a platformer / puzzler with iffy mechanics and overly-dark art style.

Of course this is only my impressions based on the demo - with those impressions why would I have bought either game - neither are exactly innovating (Yahtzee seemed to imply they were)...