RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
AgentLex said:
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:
thats not my point, he said he wasn't going to review it because he felt his opinion carries little weight on the subject (thats new I know), i understand that, i just don't think the cheek is nessesary on something he said himself he is inexperienced with, and with which he has no intentions of becoming aquainted with for that matter.
That hasn't stopped him from reviewing JRPGs and SC2 is so accessible even non-gamers get into it. That whole excuse that he would be too inexperienced regarding RTS doesn't hold weight. Besides the the single player campaign plays more like a hybrid between point and click adventure and RPG with a RTS as a base.
If he decides to review it after all i will be only too happy alright?
But that doesn't change the fact that he said he isn't going to, nor does it change the reason he gave for that, my point is if he isn't going to review it like all the other games he pokes fun at, then he can keep the single sentence comments about it to himself.
Or, he can say whatever the Hells he wishes, at whatever length he wishes, about whatever topic he wishes. Y'know, like you yourself are allowed to do. Just who in the heck do you think you are, dictating to someone else what they shall or shall not say?

He says he doesn't plan on a Starcraft 2 critique, so that bars him from ever making mention, passing or otherwise, of the game again? And it gives you license to try and e-police any comment he makes until he decides to do a proper review, and "earn the right" to his opinion?

How about no? How about, he says what he wants to, when he chooses. And you can do the same. Without the need to justify yourself to anyone else.

Or do you plan on retroactively going back through your lifetime and filming a snarky fast-talking critique complete with animations to justify any offhand comment you've ever made, as you seem intent on doing so to Yahtzee. Quid pro quo.
Hey, I belive in free speech and all, but just because I can run down a street half naked carrying a pigs heart and loudly uttering satanic rituals (sounds like an awsome dare btw) doesn't mean I should. And when you claim to be a professional on something, a certain level of etiquette is usually anticipated.
in his extra punctuation, he gives a reasonable and inoffensive explanation as to why he won't be reviewing sc2, i commend him for this.
What I don't understand though, Is why he just had to go and ruin that by making a unessesary and altogether offensive comment without any follow up to vindicate his opinion.
It seems to me that if anything he could have just summarized the polite way of saying it, within about 1 sentence. The way he wrote it seems like the written equivalent of giving all the people hoping for an sc2 review the flip!
Yes yahtzee can say whatever the hell he wants, does that mean he should, or for that matter, even has a reason to?

I have free speech and i can say whatever I want so you know what?
Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
can you do anything about it? Of course not i have free speech silly!
was it even nessesary? no.
If it was nessesary could i have put it in a more polite and reasonable way? yes.
i hope you are getting the picture now, if not there isn't a whole lot more i simplify for you.
If you're honestly this upset over such a frail comment, I'd suggest staying away from Zero Punctuation reviews altogether.
hey, i started just pointing out something i felt was a little annoying, i defend my opinions, and before you know it I'm being accused of encroaching on peoples freedoms, like I'm the Chinese authorities or something!
SO YEAH, I'M A LITTLE PISSED THAT MY OPINION CAN'T BE EXPRESSED BUT YAHTZEES CAN!

rayskyrift

All that is man
Oct 29, 2009
That review was definitely more old school. Seems like he didn't force himself so much in that last one. Although the Crackdown 2 one, while not very funny, was dead on.

lumpenprole

Apr 15, 2009
RadiusXd said:
If it isn't in his juristiction then that's perfectly fine, just don't be so snide about it yahtzee!
Wait, what? You're asking Yahtzee not to be snide? You... you're new here aren't you?

Also, I'm almost done Limbo and I'm digging it a lot. Actually looking forward to Deathspank now too. Because I'm both a cheese-eating elite and a fried chicken scoffing retard.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Personally I didn't mind the short length of Limbo. Sure I finished it the day I got it but the same can be said for Portal. I feel the game was long enough as by the time it ended it had pretty much done everything it could think of.

Zhukov said:
Definitely agree with the bit about the ending of Limbo.

The forest section was good, but once you get into the factory-ish environment, the atmosphere just drains away.
I actually thought the atmosphere stood pretty strong in the industrial levels. There's something incredibly haunting about being alone in a dark factory with tons of buzzsaws and other menacing industrial hazards

I found the parts of the factory levels where you pull a lever causing the level to spin around to be incredibly intense and even frightening

It wasn't until the last couple of levels that I thought the game lost it's atmosphere and even then it made a quick (though somewhat sloppy) return in the very final level.

I'll grant you it is very hard to see the traps until it's already to late but I kinda feel that was the point. It sort of reminds me of Dragon's Lair in that you have to beat the game through trial and error.

I have to agree when it comes to the ending (SPOILER WARNING: THE REMAINDER OF THIS POST REVEALS THE ENDING OF THE GAME AS WELL AS SOME SPECULATION ON WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS IN THE STORY. IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME READ THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK)

I mean come on you can't even show the boy and his sister getting back together? Even though the protagonist never spoke a word the things he went through to try and find his sister made me genuinely care about his plight and want him to succeed. After all that an explanation would be nice. I would have even settled for a DOOM style text screen but no; boy finds girl we assume to be his sister, girl stands up, THE END. Other people who saw this ending have speculated that the boy and his sister are actually dead (probably from falling out of a tree house) and are stuck in some form of afterlife which is an interesting theory but I still feel it would have been better if the game itself gave us an explanation.

Other than that, brilliant game. One of the best games of the year IMO.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
When I opened the video and didn't get a advertisement, I was suprised.

But beyond my hatred of advertisements, good review regardless.

AgentLex

Dec 15, 2009
RadiusXd said:
AgentLex said:
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:
thats not my point, he said he wasn't going to review it because he felt his opinion carries little weight on the subject (thats new I know), i understand that, i just don't think the cheek is nessesary on something he said himself he is inexperienced with, and with which he has no intentions of becoming aquainted with for that matter.
That hasn't stopped him from reviewing JRPGs and SC2 is so accessible even non-gamers get into it. That whole excuse that he would be too inexperienced regarding RTS doesn't hold weight. Besides the the single player campaign plays more like a hybrid between point and click adventure and RPG with a RTS as a base.
But that doesn't change the fact that he said he isn't going to, nor does it change the reason he gave for that, my point is if he isn't going to review it like all the other games he pokes fun at, then he can keep the single sentence comments about it to himself.
Or, he can say whatever the Hells he wishes, at whatever length he wishes, about whatever topic he wishes. Y'know, like you yourself are allowed to do. Just who in the heck do you think you are, dictating to someone else what they shall or shall not say?

He says he doesn't plan on a Starcraft 2 critique, so that bars him from ever making mention, passing or otherwise, of the game again? And it gives you license to try and e-police any comment he makes until he decides to do a proper review, and "earn the right" to his opinion?

How about no? How about, he says what he wants to, when he chooses. And you can do the same. Without the need to justify yourself to anyone else.

Or do you plan on retroactively going back through your lifetime and filming a snarky fast-talking critique complete with animations to justify any offhand comment you've ever made, as you seem intent on doing so to Yahtzee. Quid pro quo.
Hey, I belive in free speech and all, but just because I can run down a street half naked carrying a pigs heart and loudly uttering satanic rituals (sounds like an awsome dare btw) doesn't mean I should. And when you claim to be a professional on something, a certain level of etiquette is usually anticipated.
in his extra punctuation, he gives a reasonable and inoffensive explanation as to why he won't be reviewing sc2, i commend him for this.
What I don't understand though, Is why he just had to go and ruin that by making a unessesary and altogether offensive comment without any follow up to vindicate his opinion.
It seems to me that if anything he could have just summarized the polite way of saying it, within about 1 sentence. The way he wrote it seems like the written equivalent of giving all the people hoping for an sc2 review the flip!
Yes yahtzee can say whatever the hell he wants, does that mean he should, or for that matter, even has a reason to?

Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
If it was nessesary could i have put it in a more polite and reasonable way? yes.
i hope you are getting the picture now, if not there isn't a whole lot more i simplify for you.
If you're honestly this upset over such a frail comment, I'd suggest staying away from Zero Punctuation reviews altogether.
hey, i started just pointing out something i felt was a little annoying, i defend my opinions, and before you know it I'm being accused of encroaching on peoples freedoms, like I'm the Chinese authorities or something!
SO YEAH, I'M A LITTLE PISSED THAT MY OPINION CAN'T BE EXPRESSED BUT YAHTZEES CAN!
First, you need to practice what you preach and chillax.

Second, it's fair that you get to criticize Yahtzee's method of expressing his opinion as "impolite" and "unnecessary" yet it's unfair to have your own opinion criticized?

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
I liked this review for the sheer fact it celebrated more independant games this time instead of reviewing some major publication again. I like the fact that limbo gives me something new to actually play then something i have played a thousand times.

Apr 16, 2010
Actually, the original biblical saying goes more like:

"the LOVE of money (power, wealth, possessions, etc.) is the root of all evil."

just saying.... ..... .

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
AgentLex said:
RadiusXd said:
AgentLex said:
RadiusXd said:
Roninraver said:
RadiusXd said:
Turbo_ski said:
RadiusXd said:

Free speech can suck it!

was that nice? no.
First, you need to practice what you preach and chillax.

Second, it's fair that you get to criticize Yahtzee's method of expressing his opinion as "impolite" and "unnecessary" yet it's unfair to have your own opinion criticized?
I didn't say "SUCK IT YAHTZEE!
it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Chai Mochi

Sep 13, 2009
This site has been selling me on Limbo, I really wanna get the game...Sadly I have no x-box -__-''

Roninraver

Dec 2, 2009
RadiusXd said:
DUDE chillax! I thought that by now i had made it perfectly clear that i couldn't give a flying fuck about whether ot not he reviews starcraft OK?!
my point is he could afford a bit of manners about how he expresses his opinion.
for instance, He could have just said "I will not be reviewing starcraft 2, ever.
i just don't see the point of being unduly rude, if they aren't going to listen do matter what you type then why not type something witty even reasonable fans are capable of enjoying, i mean thats what he is known for right?

Oh and about your comment of 3 paragraphs being to much trouble (not required to make point btw),
the man plays video games for a living, im sure he has a few minutes to write a few paragraphs.
I'm not even gonna bring up how he doesn't seem to finish most games he reviews. (OOOPS)
I'm not addressing whether or not YOU wish a Starcraft 2 review be made, I haven't once in our big quote pyramid done so. I am addressing your insistence that Yahtzee needs to justify his opinion, or the manner in which he expresses it, and your view that he needs to be classy while he does so.

The fact of the matter is, he doesn't, and he doesn't, and he doesn't.

How long have you been watching ZP? How often is he a shining beacon of class and upright character? With the exception of the April Fool's Day joke episode, I'd say never. He is crass, and he is harsh, and he is ill-mannered (as my grandmother would say.) He's also incredibly amusing for these reasons, and the way in which he applies his quirks of character to his reviews.

The issue here, I feel, is that this time as a member of the Starcraft fanbase, you just happened to be under the gun. Do you think he is overly harsh to game developers in his reviews? Do you stand up for them, and say "Yahtzee, old bean, came off a bit brusque there! Poor developers tried their best, no need for the sharp words!" or the players of MMO's that he bashes at every opportunity?
He's certainly been several orders of magnitude more harsh to them that he's been to the Starcraft 2 fanbase with this comment, but you choose this single line at the ass-end of one review to try and call him on his manners?

You're asking him to play favorites, plain and simple. It's fun to laugh at rude comments directed at others, but it's completely uncalled for when directed at a group you self-identify with, right?

Wrong. It's still funny. I am myself, a big Starcraft and Starcraft 2 fan. I also play MMO's. And I can take a joke. I can also handle a "rude" comment without demanding that someone justify themselves, or make amends by granting myself and the fanbase I identify with, special treatment.

Remember that whole "offense is a choice" thing I said? This is me making it. Now you try!

Sterling|D-Reaver

Jun 14, 2010
Christopher Bruening said:
Actually, the original biblical saying goes more like:

"the LOVE of money (power, wealth, possessions, etc.) is the root of all evil."

just saying.... ..... .
Yup, probably the most miss quoted saying in history :)

hmm with Yahtzee's great wit and insults I was surprised to find out about the RTS thing. . . doesn't really bother me it just seems weird.

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
SO YEAH, I'M A LITTLE PISSED THAT MY OPINION CAN'T BE EXPRESSED BUT YAHTZEES CAN!- Radius

This is something I am rather simply going to explain. You and Yahtzee both expressed opinions. The only difference is, Yahtzee seems to be able to deal with criticism and other opinions better than you. Most of the time, he jokes, or doesn't give a rat's A**. You however, resorted to textual yelling the moment someone considers your opinion invalid.

Forget avoiding ZP, you might want to avoid the Net in total. Its going to have people that hate your opinion/worship your opinion(maybe?)/ want to find a way to set your words on fire so no one has to witness the so called drivel.

Everyone, can express their opinion. The difference is how you deal with it.

Roninraver

Dec 2, 2009
AngelBlackChaos said:
SO YEAH, I'M A LITTLE PISSED THAT MY OPINION CAN'T BE EXPRESSED BUT YAHTZEES CAN!- Radius

This is something I am rather simply going to explain. You and Yahtzee both expressed opinions. The only difference is, Yahtzee seems to be able to deal with criticism and other opinions better than you. Most of the time, he jokes, or doesn't give a rat's A**. You however, resorted to textual yelling the moment someone considers your opinion invalid.

Forget avoiding ZP, you might want to avoid the Net in total. Its going to have people that hate your opinion/worship your opinion(maybe?)/ want to find a way to set your words on fire so no one has to witness the so called drivel.

Everyone, can express their opinion. The difference is how you deal with it.
To echo this poster, and add my feelings on the matter.

Here are the similarities between you and Yahtzee:

Yahtzee expressed an opinion.
You expressed an opinion.

Here are the differences between you and Yahtzee:

You demanded that Yahtzee censor his opinion, and couch the manner in which he expressed it so that it would be more palatable to your sensibilities.

You can say what you will, where you will, when you will. And you should be free to do so without censorship.
If someone personally thinks that I am a smug little douchebag, and yells it from the rooftops, I will defend their right to express that opinion.

If someone that doesn't think these things about me, a friend perhaps, tries to censor the person expressing these negative views about me, I will instantly crawl up his ass like an ill-fitting speedo.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
"Developed by manic depressives for manic depressives"

...I guess I should get it then. :/

Wulfenlord

May 28, 2008
Really great Yahtzee, review some great-looking indie games were the ****** developers don't plan a PC release. Fucking console peasants, this is why PC gamers pirate (because we only get EA/Actiblizzard generic shootan or 1/3 of Starcraft 2 for full price), if some of those games were released on Steam the masterrace would easily surpass console sales

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
JacobyPAX said:
I feel that the starcraft quip at the end was unnecessary, and if Yahtzee wants to rip into a game he should at least have the decency to do a full review on it.
I agree. I mean, if he hates a game he's played, that's fine. But he should at least give it a shot before dismissing it so offhandedly.

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
This is why I like Yahtzee. He's not afraid to call a game out on it's bullshit.

I was really annoyed at all the reviewers saying how awesome LIMBO was when really the only thing it had going for it was it's atmosphere, which doesn't really hold up for very long.

littlerudi08107

Sep 23, 2009
I find it very odd, that Yahtzee refuses to review Starcraft 2 claiming that he's not interested in RTS games. When in the past he's reviewed other genres that he had no particular interest in like Smash Bros, Soul Caliber 4, Gears of War 2, etc. He even reviewed Borderlands and Call of Duty 4 because everyone kept asking him too. What's the deal?