Zero Punctuation: Demon's Souls

Quoth

Aug 28, 2008
I'm torn because the typically reviews for the game applaud it's difficulty and I must admit that was something that initially interested me. But there's a level of pedantry that I won't succumb to in games and repeating something over and over again just isn't in my genetic make up.. unless its for warcraft.

David-X

Dec 17, 2009
I play this game for over a month now, and still can't get enough. For a one handed person, used to play copy/paste Mass effect tipe of games yes it can be hard. But if you love challenge, detail, exellent combat, tons of stuff, replay value (my char is now lv.196, max is 712), this game is heaven. Way better than any Gothic, Dragons age, Risen, NWN and stuff.

For me this game is GOTY all the way. Is it hard? Yes, but is fair. After time you learn and then you die only if you make a mistake. Opponents do not cheat (you can when you learn and if you want to) This game is never ending challenge.

And yes, you can dodge. If you take your time and learn how.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Absolutely marvelous! This has been one of your best reviews in a long time. The description of your adventures was funny in itself, but the addition of the game laughing at you while doing it was priceless. Bravo!

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
VioletZer0 said:
WaderiAAA said:
1. The first kind you mean? I think Yatzee would disagree. Whatever, I don't plan to get it anyways.
That's a shame...

Whose word would you take for it? An internet celebrity who only went through 1.9 of the stages(discounting the tutorial) or take the word of someone who has played through the game?
It's not about whose word I'd take for it. It is about me not having a PS3, so buying the game would be kindof a waste

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
I'm torn because the typically reviews for the game applaud it's difficulty
I'll keep yelling this until the cows come home, but frustrating difficulty should be considered a detrimental factor to a game's quality. Maybe it evades professional reviewers who play games for a living and -presumably- spend their standard day between playing, paying bills and writing editorials, but my day is divided between a tedious 8-hour-long job, caring for my household and balancing a social life. Then, maybe if I'm lucky, saving about an hour a day to sit back, play a game and unwind.

So-called 'hardcore' gamers haven't sold me on increased difficulty either and I'm a kid of generation NES/Mega Drive myself. Sure, I once liked I could play for hours, finally beat that tough boss and then have to turn off the console to go to bed, only to do the whole thing all over again the next day, but the difference is that back then, after school and homework, I was locked up in an appartment with the only other options of either baking my brain in front of the TV or pissing off my parents.

So Demon's Souls can go fuck itself for all I care. If it's a good game despite its difficulty then it's a pity for both myself and the developers that I'll never get to experience it.

David-X

Dec 17, 2009
I also have a life + wife :), a 10h job, a car and a cat. Hitting 40-ies, white beard and stuff. But still love to play games. I just got bored with all this Gothic, NWN, Mass effect thingies. With demon's souls I got everything I missed in above mentioned games. You can easely play for an hour and then quit, and play next day from the exactly same spot. The only problem might be that you will not want to qiut :). Just like in the good old days (deus ex, system shock, etc). Games worth playing if you're into games. Even if that means me sleeping 2h less.

All I am saying is, that this review does poor justice to the game itself. But than again what do I care. I've got it, I play it, I enjoy it.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
I really don't want to play this. I have no doubt I could probably complete the game eventually but what I've seen is playing this game for a prolonged period of time turns you into a pretentious moron. And I'd rather not scream lawl you just suck! Pussy! etc down the lugholes of people that couldn't beat a stupidly hard game.

You know what no, I'm gonna turn this one around. For funsies mostly. It's not a case of being a failure when it comes to games if you can't beat Demon's Souls. It's a case of failing life if you can.

Now I bid you adieu.

FinPete82

Mar 20, 2009
One of the Best games this year. This is not hack/Slash type of game, it´s more like fantasy simulation, you have to plan everything you do, from your equipment to statistics. And yes, it´s hard, but it´s not unfair. If you die, it´s your own fault. You must pay attention to your surroundings, for example, that dragon instakill-part. There were tons of charred corpses lying around. And i saw other player´s "ghost" die in front of me. Plus there´s sound of huge wings flapping behind me.So, i didn´t die there.

Pay attention, listen to your surrondings, don´t rush and try to learn other people´s mistakes, by inspecting their "bloodmarks" and you will succeed.

And if nothing else works, RUN. (works like charm)

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Onmi said:
NickCooely said:
I really don't want to play this. I have no doubt I could probably complete the game eventually but what I've seen is playing this game for a prolonged period of time turns you into a pretentious moron. And I'd rather not scream lawl you just suck! Pussy! etc down the lugholes of people that couldn't beat a stupidly hard game.

You know what no, I'm gonna turn this one around. For funsies mostly. It's not a case of being a failure when it comes to games if you can't beat Demon's Souls. It's a case of failing life if you can.

Now I bid you adieu.
So if I can plan my route ahead and not charge like an idiot... I fail at life.

Your like those jocks in school who thought it made them cool to insult you for knowing words with more than two syllables aren't you?
Could it not also be said that mocking someone because they find this game too difficult makes one like a "jock" at school? Mocking someone because they aren't as good they are at their favorite sport. But this is a circular argument really. Now I'm not saying you have ridiculed anyone over it. My comment was aimed at the general slew of comments in this thread.

EDIT: Just to clarify no I don't seriously believe your failing at life. Call it a petty indulgence on my part. A reversal of the usual "Bawww casual gamer!!11!1" lark when someone says they find a game hard.

Autocracy

Feb 25, 2009
Frequen-Z" post="6.161717.4138635 said:
Must say, I was looking at this game in curiosity until I watched this. Think I'll pass. Super-hard games aren't my thing.[/quote

Exactly. People often confuse extreme difficulty for challenge. Hell, people often assume "challenge" equates to fun. It does not. Things don't need to be punishing to be fun.

Granted, there really are people who enjoy getting fisted in the rear by insane challenges, but not everyone does. In fact, most people do not. A game should have challenges, yes, but shouldn't force it down your throat and every other orifice.

1deano1

Oct 6, 2008
Ah the hilarity. Brilliant as per usual Yahtzee! Note to self: Never... buy... this... game.

UnlimitedCreativity

Dec 9, 2009
hahaha I like how that exactly the discribes the opeing on the game although apparently he didnt get to the point where you hit a dead end where your not powerfull enough to progress but it takes way too long to grind levels and it was at that point I gave up on Demons Souls

Autocracy

Feb 25, 2009
NickCooely said:
Onmi said:
NickCooely said:

Now I bid you adieu.
So if I can plan my route ahead and not charge like an idiot... I fail at life.

Your like those jocks in school who thought it made them cool to insult you for knowing words with more than two syllables aren't you?
Could it not also be said that mocking someone because they find this game too difficult makes one like a "jock" at school? Mocking someone because they aren't as good they are at their favorite sport. But this is a circular argument really. Now I'm not saying you have ridiculed anyone over it. My comment was aimed at the general slew of comments in this thread.
Well said, Nick.

It's hard to go anywhere, these days, without running into pretentious and pompous elitist players from one game or another who pretend to know the difference between strategy and tactics, who pretend to understand the meaning of the word "skill".

Now, I say this because (after flipping through pages of comments), there are some members of our community who are indeed rattling on about their supposed superiority because they "succeed" at Demon Souls and lecture people who question the difficulty of the game. Which is unfortunate because it sets a bad example for our younger peers and portrays our kin as snobs that sniff their own bums because they claim it smells like roses.

Let it be known that Punishing difficulty =/= fun for some people. That's right. A lot of people don't actually like having spikes rammed into their rectum for a small misstep. Some people like being able to advance into a game at a steady pace and choosing whether or not to kick that difficulty up a notch. That's not too hard to accept, is it? No. It isn't. So why are people flipping out? Who can say.

But. I have a theory. You see. . if you have a game and enjoy it, you shouldn't at all be concerned with what other people say or feel. Like Yahtzee. He could rip into a game you love and you should be fine because, when it isn't a multiplayer game, other people should have no baring on your experience (yes, yes. . the whole ghost thing but that's really insignificant and not comparable to normal multiplayer). Unless. . . unless, of course, you have this niggling doubt that you aren't actually enjoying the game as much as you think you are. Am I right? Are you just trying to justify your purchases? To justify all that time sunk into the game? Yeah. I think some of you are. Delusion/self-deception. It happens.

UnlimitedCreativity

Dec 9, 2009
oh yeah and totally disagree with unfair... when a Giant troll goblin thing runs across a bridge and hits you once, breaking your guard and killing you at full health... life beginings to feel a little unfair. That and bosses who kill you as you walk into the room

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Wow. When Yahtzee says the game is hard I'd already suspected it would be something like this, that hard would inevitably equal piss-poor gameplay that just stomps on you until you've put many a frustration-dent in your wall from throwing your controllers into it.

I can remember NES games with this type of mentality (read: shitty gameplay) that had me chucking the NES pad as far as the cord would let it fly. Thankfully, in the wireless age, we can get a really good throw for a much more satisfying crunch.

UnlimitedCreativity

Dec 9, 2009
TraumaHound said:
I can remember NES games with this type of mentality (read: shitty gameplay) that had me chucking the NES pad as far as the cord would let it fly. Thankfully, in the wireless age, we can get a really good throw for a much more satisfying crunch.
haha only problem now is that the controllers cost $60

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
TraumaHound said:
UnlimitedCreativity said:
haha only problem now is that the controllers cost $60
Ha! Too true!

I was looking for some pics of busted PS3 controllers but couldn't find a suitable one to attach to my post. I guess they're tougher than I expected, I wanted to see one shattered, spilling it's vibro-motor parts from between split seams.