Zero Punctuation: Destiny - Always-On Grind

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
Snip Snap.
Well he said in the Halo: Reach review that he likes (well, respects) Bungie as a developer, and the reviews as a whole just state that he doesn't like the games.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
Luciella said:
Metadigital said:
C) The game makes you revisit the same place over and over again and it's boring.
But IT IS boring.
Weren't you bored that in Dargon Age 2, there were like 3 mazes in the entire game and to "add variety" they just made you enter it from -previously closed doors- and just add the same mobs but slightly stronger?

It's like lazy level design...or no budget for more different places.
I totally agree with the mention of Dragon Age 2, but primarily because of how excessively small the world was and how radically different scenarios reused the same maps that were located in completely different areas. In Destiny, each area is primarily used once per mission with overlap for strikes while the patrols overlap everything except the areas closed off for the missions. I'll also agree that it's a shame that the game world isn't larger in the base game in Destiny (it'll double in size in the first DLC and then triple by the second DLC). I do think a critique can mention that the environment is too small, but that's different than what I was alluding to before.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
If you think Halo and Destiny have similar stories you're mad. Sure they both have science fiction planetoids and AI's, but that's like calling Game of Thrones and Warcraft the same for both having swords and frozen zombies.

Halo's story was at least well produced and painfully easy to follow if you just play the numbered installments 1-3 and pay attention. Destiny's story is all so vague and undefined, it literally feels like context and closure will be added upon the purchase of $30 DLC to be released sometime during the next decade.

That and the enemies and weapons feel way less defined and interesting.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Gee, I'm rather beginning to get the impression that Destiny might not be the Earth-shattering game-changer that we were all promised.

I'm hearing a lot of reviews that all say very similar things- things that amount to "kind of boring, phoning it in".

Few said as entertainingly as Yahtzee, of course.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Metadigital said:
You are literally complaining because the environments are too good.
HAHHAHHAHAHAAHA HAHAHAHHAAHAAHAHAHHAAHHAHHAAHHAHHAHAHAAAA HAHAHAHAAHAAAAAA! Dude, seriously, just stop. Play a console Zelda game and have your mind BLOWN by the environmental design.

In other news, you can still play destiny, but in reality it's not amazing. Just an okay shooter with a terrible campaign and stellar multiplayer.

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
KDR_11k said:
I feel that this video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXs0R370LU&list=PLswVJ_e2AEzlrULSPhdAcGm7hoNYFdCeN] may help with understanding the plot.
The beginning of that reminded me of the intro to The Humans [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy9vqPGBuH8]. I should play that game again. It'd probably be a lot more fun than Destiny.

Iceklimber

Feb 5, 2013
[/quote]
maneyan said:
Seems to me that Destiny would have been way better if it hadn't tried to be an MMO, which would have made it tighter, less drawn out and grindy and more fast-paced.
Anyone can point out flaws but do you have an actual suggestion what else the Developers could have doed to make this Game engaging for ten years?

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
First time in a while that I had a good laugh from a ZP review. Lately it's been more of a constant smile through the whole video, but this made me laugh out loud.

My conclusion on Destiny is that if you like to grind for hours on end at the shrine of RNG, and shooting the same alien over and over again, Destiny is your GOTY. If you don't, you should probably stay away.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Thankfully, I learned of the PS+ paywall in the beta. It gave me just enough time to cancel my pre-order and put my 5 dollars towards resubscribing to the Gamestop magazine. Not because I enjoy READING said magazine (for I haven't really touched one since Transformers: Fall of Cyberton), but because magazine subscriptions help build credit.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Makabriel said:
*sigh*
I hate being a videogame hipster..

But I -like- Destiny!!
I'm sorry, according to the official Gaming Hipster handbook, you are only permitted to like the following games: Minecraft, Gone Home, Dark Souls, The Walking Dead, FTL, Papers Please, and/or The Stanley Parable.

You may appreciate Spec Ops: The Line as something akin to a challenging homework assignment, but you are not allowed to actually like it.

(I like Destiny too, but many of Yahtzee's criticisms have merit to them.)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I know a lot of people are having fun with some of the aspects of this game, but it really is just mediocre. The PVP needs to be tiered, even with the normalized weapons, low levels can still be one shot by level 20's with exotic guns. There is only about 6-8 hours of actual unique content, and then you grind the same areas hundreds of times to try and get good gear because of their atrocious RNG loot. Forget that it all ends up in a horde mode far too many times throughout the game. The story is non-existent, which is not what they showed for the last two years in videos hyping the shit out of the game.

The general consensus seems to be: The shooting is good, everything else is lacking. PVP in unbalanced, the ares are not that large and you see the same parts a ridiculous number of times, the story is not presented in the game at all and you have to leave the game to go to the website for the context of why you are doing what you are doing.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I bought Destiny and enjoy it enough that I'm looking forward to the DLC. I didn't pay attention to the hype so I guess I wasn't expecting a revolution. I got what I wanted and expected: A shooter/RPG hybrid where unlike 90% of shooter/RPG hybrids the shooting isn't total garbage and a unique approach to loot.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Sseth said:
I like ZP and Yahtzee but this was actually a pretty lackluster review. I wanted to hear more about the classes, any mention of what the vehicle sections are like, etc. This episode felt short and padded.
I suspect neither of them are interesting enough to talk about.

"Well, you have the fighter-type, the sneaky-type and the mage-type. Moving on, there are vehicles, you can drive some of them and some of them have guns that go bang."

I'm guessing, but I suspect I'm right considering nobody has accused Destiny of being innovative.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Raziel said:
Wouldn't you have to have Live to play multiplayer as well? Could you play this at all on the xbo without it?
You would still be able to connect to the internet, but you will only be able to play singleplayer.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
JonSherwell said:
But you can do the main story missions etc. as long as they're single player and as long as you have an internet connection.
Which begs the same question Yathzee had. Why should someone need an internet connection to play single player?

And this isn't just a Destiny issue. Assassins Creed/Ubisoft has this problem too, last I checked.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Wow. Yahtzee references Halo as a positive example. The world has turned on its head.
Or Destiny is just extremely shitty. One or the other.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
After reading all the reviews and such about the game, I really wonder if it was EA instead of Activision that published the game what the forums would be like. It does feel a lot like Dragon Age 2 with its reused environments, but at least it felt like they tried with the story in Dragon Age 2.

I think Yahtzee's limerick a the beginning has been the most interesting thing I have seen about Destiny so far.

Edit:

A couple of my friends who own Destiny and I were talking about the game today and the conclusion I drew from the conversation and it made them laugh was that "Destiny = Classic Halo + Classic World of Warcraft + Classic Diablo 3". For the way they do describe their playing experience feels like they took the entry to each of those franchises took bits and pieces of those ideas and made Destiny. Some of the loot issues remind me of how Diablo 3 loot dropped prior to the expansion, the raids remind me a lot of Naxx'40, and the combat sounds a lot like the original Halo. Of course there are some improvements, but it doesn't seem that they learned from the mistakes of those games.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
add another victim to the pile of next-gen hype; I'm really starting to wonder what the point of the new hardware is if this is the best gamemakers can do. Then again, I suppose it's typical of the first two years to spend their time stumbling around, not sure of what they want to do.