Zero Punctuation: Destiny - Always-On Grind

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
It's impressive that theEscapist doesn't toss the extra $50/yr it costs for PS+ to Yahtzee. I'm not sure if he still lives down under, but does PS+ cost an absurd amount like the games?

Anyway, I have a love/hate relationship with Destiny right now. I really enjoy having an FPS-MMO that I can get on with my friends and do dungeo...I mean strikes with. I just wish there was more to the game. I want the lore to be through the game and not through the Bungie website.

Also, i'm glad to see I wasn't the only one that thought the Dinklebot was a waste of money - they could have gotten some no-name voice actor, paid him half and gotten a much better character out of it. I just hate hearing him lecture me, because lets face it, he's so dry that's all it is.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
VectorSlip said:
I've been wondering when a game would come around that would convince me to get a ps4. With the massive amounts of hype surrounding it i though destiny might just be that game. Turn's out it wasn't, which is a crying shame.

Its almost sad. I've been a PC gamer for a few years now and i've been loving it. Theres just so much you can do and so much to play on the platform that I've gotten an actual backlog of games I haven't played yet. That never happened to me on consoles. And with the next generation rolling around I thought they could maybe bring me back into the fold somehow. But if games like Destiny are standard then Im just going to swear off consoles for good. They just wont be for me at that point. Plus I've played MMO's before and Destiny taking that route is another turn off for me. I've just never found them engaging. Paying for multiplayer is just downright awful too. On both xbone and ps4. They had it right with the PS3 which is why I got it over the 360. It sucks that they had to go backwards on that deal.

Ill keep a lookout for something that will be a system seller to me. But until then I guess Ill be happy with my good ol' pc.
Infamous Second Son and First Light have made owning the PS4 worth it for me, quite enjoyable 'superpower' sandbox games with smooth controls that don't get in the way.
Killzone: Shadow Fall was good too but alot of people didn't like it so take that as a very personal opinion
Need for Speed: Rivals - PC version is buggered, only worth playing on console so got it on my PS4 and quite fun :)

Just a few off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more I haven't thought of (got far too many games on all systems)

VectorSlip

Sep 17, 2014
RicoADF said:
VectorSlip said:
I've been wondering when a game would come around that would convince me to get a ps4. With the massive amounts of hype surrounding it i though destiny might just be that game. Turn's out it wasn't, which is a crying shame.

Its almost sad. I've been a PC gamer for a few years now and i've been loving it. Theres just so much you can do and so much to play on the platform that I've gotten an actual backlog of games I haven't played yet. That never happened to me on consoles. And with the next generation rolling around I thought they could maybe bring me back into the fold somehow. But if games like Destiny are standard then Im just going to swear off consoles for good. They just wont be for me at that point. Plus I've played MMO's before and Destiny taking that route is another turn off for me. I've just never found them engaging. Paying for multiplayer is just downright awful too. On both xbone and ps4. They had it right with the PS3 which is why I got it over the 360. It sucks that they had to go backwards on that deal.

Ill keep a lookout for something that will be a system seller to me. But until then I guess Ill be happy with my good ol' pc.
Infamous Second Son and First Light have made owning the PS4 worth it for me, quite enjoyable 'superpower' sandbox games with smooth controls that don't get in the way.
Killzone: Shadow Fall was good too but alot of people didn't like it so take that as a very personal opinion
Need for Speed: Rivals - PC version is buggered, only worth playing on console so got it on my PS4 and quite fun :)

Just a few off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more I haven't thought of (got far too many games on all systems)
Ah, I've had the pleasure of playing infamous second son on my friend's PS4 and let me just say that game is absolutely gorgeous. Infamous was actually my first ps3 game and I loved it so it would be pretty fitting if its sequal got me into another console.

Ill check all those other games out too. I've got a pretty good deal going over here with my pc but that won't stop me from playing some fun games. Thanks for the recommendations!

Zefar

May 11, 2009
ThatDarnCoyote said:
I'm sorry, according to the official Gaming Hipster handbook, you are only permitted to like the following games: Minecraft, Gone Home, Dark Souls, The Walking Dead, FTL, Papers Please, and/or The Stanley Parable.

You may appreciate Spec Ops: The Line as something akin to a challenging homework assignment, but you are not allowed to actually like it.

(I like Destiny too, but many of Yahtzee's criticisms have merit to them.)
How are Dark Souls and Minecraft hipster games? They sold millions.

Anyway how did Destiny even get such high scores on MetaCritic from professional reviewers? I saw AngryJoe video about this game and boy does it look boring.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Steve2911 said:
carpathic said:
This is one of those games I would've bought in a second if it was not for the damn multiplayer.

I just wish that they would stop forcing multiplayer into games.

I hope people enjoy this game, and I look forward to a non-multiplayer release.
This definitely isn't a game that they've 'forced' multiplayer into. This game is pure multiplayer. It's the whole point of the game.
Wasn't as clear as I would've like to have been. What I meant by "forced" was why couldn't I enjoy a single player adventure in the world, all by myself. Especially one that didn't require xboxlive gold etc etc.

Just whining really. The game looks gorgeous, and Bungie does great things but the online aspect just irks me.

Chalk it up to reactionism.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Makabriel said:
Dalisclock said:
JonSherwell said:
But you can do the main story missions etc. as long as they're single player and as long as you have an internet connection.
Which begs the same question Yathzee had. Why should someone need an internet connection to play single player?

And this isn't just a Destiny issue. Assassins Creed/Ubisoft has this problem too, last I checked.
Because that's the way the industry is moving? From cartidges, to CDs to DVDs, downloads.. it's just the way of things..
But again, like in the Simcity, why force people online when the option to play single player is perfectly viable? From what I understand, the only reason to play mutiplayer(and spend money for the paywall) is so you can do missions with other people. If you don't, the other players could have been replaced with NPCs and it wouldn't make a difference to the person playing.

"Everyone else is doing it" really isn't an answer.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Dalisclock said:
Makabriel said:
Dalisclock said:
JonSherwell said:
But you can do the main story missions etc. as long as they're single player and as long as you have an internet connection.
Which begs the same question Yathzee had. Why should someone need an internet connection to play single player?

And this isn't just a Destiny issue. Assassins Creed/Ubisoft has this problem too, last I checked.
Because that's the way the industry is moving? From cartidges, to CDs to DVDs, downloads.. it's just the way of things..
But again, like in the Simcity, why force people online when the option to play single player is perfectly viable? From what I understand, the only reason to play mutiplayer(and spend money for the paywall) is so you can do missions with other people. If you don't, the other players could have been replaced with NPCs and it wouldn't make a difference to the person playing.

That's why i dont like 'always online' games with SP. Not everyone has a stellar connection, if something goes wrong i just bought a very expensive paperweight.
And what happens when servers are shutdown?

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Dalisclock said:
Makabriel said:
Dalisclock said:
JonSherwell said:

Control over the game's environment. Stability of the game itself. Ease of patching, hotfixing etc. There are plenty of reasons why a developer would go this route.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Makabriel said:
Control over the game's environment. Stability of the game itself. Ease of patching, hotfixing etc. There are plenty of reasons why a developer would go this route.
Except those really don't stand to scrutiny.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Yes, yes... this pleases my Glorious PC Gaming Master Race heart. A 500 million dollar bore-festival. Did they perhaps work with James Cameron on this? That would explain a lot.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Virtually everything Yahtzee said, that all the worthwhile reviewers are saying, is that it's boring and grindy. When I said that on a few messageboards (But not here, I don't think) after playing the alpha, people thought I was crazy. I guess it's more obvious when you've got an entire game's worth rather than a small demo.

P.S. Thanks

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Oni was a great game, and it had a great story (got me emotional in places). But it's all been downhill from there, ever since they sold out to Microsoft. I used to hope they would make a sequel. Now I'm hoping they don't.

Dalisclock said:

That's usually the actual reason though. Management are a bunch of sheep.

The main "justification" that I see for it though is that it helps to prevent cheating in games where the singleplayer and multiplayer are linked (such that you can acquire resources or unlock things in singleplayer and use them in multiplayer). And because apparently everything nowadays requires multiplayer and DLC, no matter how much it has to be shoe-horned in and how little sense it makes.

Personally, I'd much prefer they ditch the multiplayer and let players cheat as much as they want in single player. There used to be official cheat codes in games. Developers used to be proud of the amusing cheats they included. Now, if they exist at all, they're paid DLC. Bugger that.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
maneyan said:
Seems to me that Destiny would have been way better if it hadn't tried to be an MMO, which would have made it tighter, less drawn out and grindy and more fast-paced.
I think this was a game designed around a monetization plan rather than game designed to be fun and engaging that they then monetized.
It looks like they took a genre they had been successful at, looked at the way to extract the most money from it, and came up with a game that was always online, with a low level cap and grindy, grindy, grindy. I think they want to sell us a BUNCH of DLC, that will incrementally up the level cap, parcel out more story missions a couple at a time, come with bigger and badder gear, so that all those people who got the best drops will have to buy the DLC or fall behind the loot race, and there will tons of it, the larger packs with story missions, the single area or raid packs, the skin packs, item packs, all of it, ranging from 0.99c to $9.99, $19.99, who knows.
Just wait and see, the "full game" is probably going to cost you $200+ to play.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Miral said:
No, the consumers are a bunch of sheep. Management is going to do what it can get away with, including locking down games and selling us palette swaps for 50 bucks if they can get away with it. The problem is that we have two very large camps: those who will buy it anyway, and those that will make excuses as though they're shareholders.

If people buy it, they will do it. The Xbone's numerous issues weren't because management were sheep. It's because they thought we were too spineless to go without our overpriced toys.

Amir Kondori said:
I think this was a game designed around a monetization plan rather than game designed to be fun and engaging that they then monetized.
Considering reports that the story was actually gutted so they could sell you it as DLC, this would absolutely not shock me.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Miral said:
No, the consumers are a bunch of sheep. Management is going to do what it can get away with, including locking down games and selling us palette swaps for 50 bucks if they can get away with it. The problem is that we have two very large camps: those who will buy it anyway, and those that will make excuses as though they're shareholders.

If people buy it, they will do it. The Xbone's numerous issues weren't because management were sheep. It's because they thought we were too spineless to go without our overpriced toys.
True. Maybe I picked the wrong animal. I just meant that when they see someone else do something, they have to do it too, no matter how silly it is. So maybe management are lemmings. (And yes, I know that stereotype was faked.)

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
So after several rewatches of this review I've found myself sitting on what I feel is an elephant in the room.

This is an unfinished review.

before anyone comes at me I'm gonna say right out that all the criticisms against destiny are valid, the story, the almost paper thin hidden dlc strategy and everything else everyone is saying against the game are all valid.

But I can't help but feel bothered about how Yahtzee didn't even review the strike, pvp and raid content solely because of it being locked out to people with out a ps+ subscription. And people would defend it as a "Statement against how bullshit it is to have to pay money to play a game you already paid for" which while true still is not an excuse to make a review like what we've been given. Which in all honesty is just the same repeated statements against the game everyone else is saying.

and anyone who tells me "Yahtzee can't afford ps+" needs to realise the guy works for one of the most popular review sites on the internet for video games and has put out two books. He has money.

It's not enough that people are going to write the game off solely on his word alone but the fact that he didn't review all the content just drives me mad.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Some worker at gamestop literally yelled at me because i turned in this game 30 minutes into it. "It gets better at max level. That's the best part! You don't know a good video game. I was just like uhhh whatever dude.

Anyways OT yeah feels like bland halo but the diehard fans defend it to the grave.