Zero Punctuation: Detroit: Become Human

darkrage6

New member
May 11, 2016
478
0
0
Darth_Payn said:
Wait a minute: A.I., advanced robotics, and social inequality in Detroit? That lazy ************, Cage just stole that from Deus Ex: Human Revolution! I definitely didn't ask for this!
Not really no.
 

darkrage6

New member
May 11, 2016
478
0
0
erttheking said:
Wait, did the abusive dad really fucking talk about how much he was going to enjoy beating his daughter? Is that an actual scene or Yahtzee being hyperbolic? Because if so, I seriously have to question how people can view that as a shocking look at domestic abuse.

Also

what, did the asshole buy a fucking robot daughter and then a robot maid? For an asshole who lives in a dilapidated house, he sure has a lot of money to throw around. And why the shit would he do that?

So I'll just throw something out there, anyone who's interested in a robot focused game where inequality and lost jobs caused by automation is actually a theme (granted not the only theme) play Subsurface Circular. It's by the guy who made Thomas Was Alone, and while it's a short game that's mainly about a robot cop having talks on the subway, it's a thousand times more interesting than anything David Cage ever made.

Plus it's only six bucks.
I think Detroit is plenty interesting, I largely agree with Angry Joe's review:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiphSNWXIfM&feature=push-u-sub&attr_tag=-w26D1B3q0q5-Vgp-6
 

Aiddon_v1legacy

New member
Nov 19, 2009
3,672
0
0
Definitely doesn't help that Cage is now under investigation by Parisian authorities for creating a hostile work environment full of racism and sexual harassment. Would definitely make his commentaries in Become Human ring hollow.

At this point there's really not a whole lot more that can be said about Cage. He's a horrible writer who doesn't understand the inherent strengths of film or gaming so he can't tell a story worth a damn. The only reason he gained a reputation was because he was doing story-focused games at a time when the industry was being very, VERY insecure about itself, basically even saying that all narrative games until then were always bad. Quite disrespectful looking back to those awkward days (see also: Ninja Theory).
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,760
0
0
Aiddon said:
Definitely doesn't help that Cage is now under investigation by Parisian authorities for creating a hostile work environment full of racism and sexual harassment. Would definitely make his commentaries in Become Human ring hollow.

At this point there's really not a whole lot more that can be said about Cage. He's a horrible writer who doesn't understand the inherent strengths of film or gaming so he can't tell a story worth a damn. The only reason he gained a reputation was because he was doing story-focused games at a time when the industry was being very, VERY insecure about itself, basically even saying that all narrative games until then were always bad. Quite disrespectful looking back to those awkward days (see also: Ninja Theory).
Oh shit I hadn't heard any of that. When did this get reported?
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
Aiddon said:
Definitely doesn't help that Cage is now under investigation by Parisian authorities for creating a hostile work environment full of racism and sexual harassment. Would definitely make his commentaries in Become Human ring hollow.

At this point there's really not a whole lot more that can be said about Cage. He's a horrible writer who doesn't understand the inherent strengths of film or gaming so he can't tell a story worth a damn. The only reason he gained a reputation was because he was doing story-focused games at a time when the industry was being very, VERY insecure about itself, basically even saying that all narrative games until then were always bad. Quite disrespectful looking back to those awkward days (see also: Ninja Theory).
I just support him for the fact he's even making a game that's not an online multiplayer grind fest that will be obsolete once the next installment comes out. And I am a graphics whore, but than again David Cage no longer has a monopoly on "Photo Realistic Graphics and Human models" since pretty much every other AAA dev is doing it.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
Silentpony said:
Aiddon said:
Definitely doesn't help that Cage is now under investigation by Parisian authorities for creating a hostile work environment full of racism and sexual harassment. Would definitely make his commentaries in Become Human ring hollow.

At this point there's really not a whole lot more that can be said about Cage. He's a horrible writer who doesn't understand the inherent strengths of film or gaming so he can't tell a story worth a damn. The only reason he gained a reputation was because he was doing story-focused games at a time when the industry was being very, VERY insecure about itself, basically even saying that all narrative games until then were always bad. Quite disrespectful looking back to those awkward days (see also: Ninja Theory).
Oh shit I hadn't heard any of that. When did this get reported?
Apperently David Cage and his studio filed a lawsuit against the Media outlet that reported on that negative coverage:

https://www.pcgamer.com/david-cages-quantic-dream-sues-french-media-outlets-over-negative-coverage/

Don't know if that proves he's guilty or not.
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,760
0
0
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Aiddon said:
Definitely doesn't help that Cage is now under investigation by Parisian authorities for creating a hostile work environment full of racism and sexual harassment. Would definitely make his commentaries in Become Human ring hollow.

At this point there's really not a whole lot more that can be said about Cage. He's a horrible writer who doesn't understand the inherent strengths of film or gaming so he can't tell a story worth a damn. The only reason he gained a reputation was because he was doing story-focused games at a time when the industry was being very, VERY insecure about itself, basically even saying that all narrative games until then were always bad. Quite disrespectful looking back to those awkward days (see also: Ninja Theory).
Oh shit I hadn't heard any of that. When did this get reported?
Apperently David Cage and his studio filed a lawsuit against the Media outlet that reported on that negative coverage:

https://www.pcgamer.com/david-cages-quantic-dream-sues-french-media-outlets-over-negative-coverage/

Don't know if that proves he's guilty or not.
Given this age's politically volatile climate, I don't think a lawsuit says it one way or the other. Just an accusation is enough to destroy a career with no chance of recovering, so I can understand being pro-active in a case like that. However I agree that all things being equal it looks guilty to sue a media outlet to shutdown a story. Then again media outlets can be corrupt too, so who knows...
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Aiddon said:
Definitely doesn't help that Cage is now under investigation by Parisian authorities for creating a hostile work environment full of racism and sexual harassment. Would definitely make his commentaries in Become Human ring hollow.

At this point there's really not a whole lot more that can be said about Cage. He's a horrible writer who doesn't understand the inherent strengths of film or gaming so he can't tell a story worth a damn. The only reason he gained a reputation was because he was doing story-focused games at a time when the industry was being very, VERY insecure about itself, basically even saying that all narrative games until then were always bad. Quite disrespectful looking back to those awkward days (see also: Ninja Theory).
Oh shit I hadn't heard any of that. When did this get reported?
Apperently David Cage and his studio filed a lawsuit against the Media outlet that reported on that negative coverage:

https://www.pcgamer.com/david-cages-quantic-dream-sues-french-media-outlets-over-negative-coverage/

Don't know if that proves he's guilty or not.
Given this age's politically volatile climate, I don't think a lawsuit says it one way or the other. Just an accusation is enough to destroy a career with no chance of recovering, so I can understand being pro-active in a case like that. However I agree that all things being equal it looks guilty to sue a media outlet to shutdown a story. Then again media outlets can be corrupt too, so who knows...
And that's what makes it complex to me.

Either he is suing them to cover up that he is guilty, or someone or someones in the media outlet that reported on this is lying because this someone has a personal grudge against Cage.
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
4,953
6
13
Ohlie shit, that twist was literally what and who I guessed it would be, from hearing nought but "there is a twist in here btw." And expectedly meaningless. Though not sure how much pride there is to be felt about that, to be frank. Was secretly kinda hoping for something as stupid as "but all humans were the robots all along!"
 

thenewguy512739

New member
Feb 14, 2017
29
0
0
darkrage6 said:
Darth_Payn said:
Wait a minute: A.I., advanced robotics, and social inequality in Detroit? That lazy ************, Cage just stole that from Deus Ex: Human Revolution! I definitely didn't ask for this!
Not really no.
Uhm, yes. Ironically enough, HR itself ripped off RoboCop (a better and more relevant movie about Detroit). Both feature a Detroit law enforcement officer that gets nearly killed by a corporate conspiracy and comes back as a badass cyborg forced to contemplate his own humanity. I dare you to tell me that is just a coincidence.
Xsjadoblayde said:
Though not sure how much pride there is to be felt about that, to be frank. Was secretly kinda hoping for something as stupid as "but humans were the robots all along!"
Well, when you think about it, every story about robots and philosophy has that twist, just not literally.
 

ToastyMozart

New member
Mar 13, 2012
224
0
0
Cage really doesn't improve with time, it's more that with all the money and push the game has been getting from Sony he was under more creative restrictions. Really the vibe I've been getting from Detroit is that Quantic Dream is a dev studio mostly full of fairly competent staff that is unfortunately headed up by a derivative and egotistical moron who was tragically born with two smoked hams instead of fists.
The best example I've seen so far of this is the scene in the mansion between Markus and the old painter dude: The first 95% of it is a... well "subtle" isn't quite the right word, adequate scene between the two characters walking around the house, going through their morning routine discussing the world, playing the piano/chess, chatting about the differences between humans and androids, and offering a more affirmative answer to Detective Spooner in what I can assume is the rest of the development team trying their best to do a good job. This is swiftly interrupted by a loud prodigal son caricature storming into the room apropos of nothing and shouting themes at the camera as the Cage over-plot picks back up.

They should just prompt David to come up with a premise/overall structure for a detective game and then lock him in a room with some crayons while the rest of the team revise and expand on his notes and begin development. They'd finally get a good game out to market.

erttheking said:
Wait, did the abusive dad really fucking talk about how much he was going to enjoy beating his daughter? Is that an actual scene or Yahtzee being hyperbolic? Because if so, I seriously have to question how people can view that as a shocking look at domestic abuse.
It's more a coked-out ramble than a fully coherent plan, but yeah that was indeed an actual scene. It's what prompts Kara to break her restriction wall dealie because at that point following her orders to "not go anywhere" would violate Asimov's first or whatever.

The scene in question: https://youtu.be/BQ4Rx48HWoU?t=22m14s (As attended by a trio of much more entertaining characters than David could write.)
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
10,845
1
3
Country
United States
ToastyMozart said:
It's more a coked-out ramble than a fully coherent plan, but yeah that was indeed an actual scene. It's what prompts Kara to break her restriction wall dealie because at that point following her orders to "not go anywhere" would violate Asimov's first or whatever.

The scene in question: https://youtu.be/BQ4Rx48HWoU?t=22m14s (As attended by a trio of much more entertaining characters than David could write.)
*Watches scene* Jesus fucking Christ. Yup, that's some pretty shallow writing right there. Some people say this game had a serious look at domestic abuse *shakes head* why I will never know.

Burnouts3s3 said:
I enjoyed this interactive movie from David Cage, but Yahtzee is absolutely correct in his assessment in Cage's writing. It's still really amateur and doesn't work all the way through. I felt that the Deviant Hunter, Connor and Clancy Brown's character, Hank, had the best story in the game and their dynamic worked like gangbusters. But Markus' story, where he's this Android Messiah who's going to be a Civil Rights leader, falls completely flat.

One of the things I liked was the 'fail states are not game overs' mechanic Cage brought over from Heavy Rain. So if a certain character dies, the game goes on without them which I thought was pretty smart.

erttheking said:
what, did the asshole buy a fucking robot daughter and then a robot maid? For an asshole who lives in a dilapidated house, he sure has a lot of money to throw around. And why the shit would he do that?
Todd, the abusive asshole, is a drug dealer who's wife left him and took his biological daughter. Todd bought the robot child to 'prove' that he can be a good parent only to show he can't an even to a robot he's still an abusive asshole. Again, it doesn't really 'work' as a narrative but it's sort of interesting.


Kara and Alice can get into a scenario which they are taken to the Recycling center(It's basically a concentration camp for robots. Yes, really). Kara can have a number of options but Alice will also be in danger as well. The purpose is to have Alice also be in danger. If she was human, she wouldn't be in the same situation as Kara and be safe.

Again, Yahtzee is right in that the story was much stronger when the player thought Alice was human but then we wouldn't have that ending.

Like I said, I enjoyed the game but it's flawed as all hell.
...That's pretty dumb writing there Cage, not gonna lie. Just when I think Jim Sterling is being a little unfair with the "emotions" thing, Cage goes and proves him right.

Apothecary2 said:
erttheking said:
Wait, did the abusive dad really fucking talk about how much he was going to enjoy beating his daughter? Is that an actual scene or Yahtzee being hyperbolic? Because if so, I seriously have to question how people can view that as a shocking look at domestic abuse.

Also

what, did the asshole buy a fucking robot daughter and then a robot maid? For an asshole who lives in a dilapidated house, he sure has a lot of money to throw around. And why the shit would he do that?

So I'll just throw something out there, anyone who's interested in a robot focused game where inequality and lost jobs caused by automation is actually a theme (granted not the only theme) play Subsurface Circular. It's by the guy who made Thomas Was Alone, and while it's a short game that's mainly about a robot cop having talks on the subway, it's a thousand times more interesting than anything David Cage ever made.

Plus it's only six bucks.
It is later shown that Kara only costs $800. Under 2038 inflation. The androids became very cheap. The question of why he would is also answered at the end of the game if you make the correct choices.
Judging by how the game apparently doesn't address the mass unemployment the androids cause, I'm guessing the low price tag is used less to world build a reality where automation has become stupidly cheap and the implications of it and more to create a world where a crack dealer in a run down house could afford a robot maid.
 

ToastyMozart

New member
Mar 13, 2012
224
0
0
erttheking said:
Judging by how the game apparently doesn't address the mass unemployment the androids cause, I'm guessing the low price tag is used less to world build a reality where automation has become stupidly cheap and the implications of it and more to create a world where a crack dealer in a run down house could afford a robot maid.
It's either that or David just not knowing how the hell an economy works: On the topic of mass-unemployment an early in-game news report mentions the US unemployment rate reaching 38%, which is remarkably higher than the peak of the Great Depression (25%) and well over the threshold where violent revolution usually happens.
"It's ze future, so ze robots are cheap" and all, despite American androids being an entirely monopolized market.
 

Gordon_4_v1legacy

New member
Aug 22, 2010
2,577
0
0
ToastyMozart said:
erttheking said:
Judging by how the game apparently doesn't address the mass unemployment the androids cause, I'm guessing the low price tag is used less to world build a reality where automation has become stupidly cheap and the implications of it and more to create a world where a crack dealer in a run down house could afford a robot maid.
It's either that or David just not knowing how the hell an economy works: On the topic of mass-unemployment an early in-game news report mentions the US unemployment rate reaching 38%, which is remarkably higher than the peak of the Great Depression (25%) and well over the threshold where violent revolution usually happens.
"It's ze future, so ze robots are cheap" and all, despite American androids being an entirely monopolized market.
See I would have thought something like that, for market penetration, would be sold similar to the way smartphones are now. Lets bump up the official price from $899 to $1,200 but also assume that's per year, over say, 15 years. So $120 a month, over fifteen years is $21,600. Probably not a realistic price but one more readily acceptable. So sure, you're not gonna get 20 customers dropping nearly 22 grand all at once. What you might get is several million customers dropping you a regular $120 every month.

Not believable, but probably acceptable for a work of fiction.


OT: I must admit I'm rather tempted to get this game; mainly because I liked Heavy Rain - maddening and flawed that it is - and speculative fiction regarding robots, A.I. and machines becoming sapient and such is very much my jam. I also like in Kara's case the breaking of her standard programming is out of a desire to save someone rather than kill them.

On the other hand, its doesn't seem like there's much else to recommend it. Maybe when its like $15 - which judging by the walloping its getting probably won't be as long as most.
 

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
4,380
289
88
Finland
Markus' cliche revolution story is easily the worst part of it. Kara's and Connor's were fine. Kamski's mystery genius character is annoying and cryptic as hell, and thus the ideas behind androids wanting to be free never get much substance to support them. They just want it, ok, and it's a feature, not a bug.
 

darkrage6

New member
May 11, 2016
478
0
0
Aiddon said:
Definitely doesn't help that Cage is now under investigation by Parisian authorities for creating a hostile work environment full of racism and sexual harassment. Would definitely make his commentaries in Become Human ring hollow.

At this point there's really not a whole lot more that can be said about Cage. He's a horrible writer who doesn't understand the inherent strengths of film or gaming so he can't tell a story worth a damn. The only reason he gained a reputation was because he was doing story-focused games at a time when the industry was being very, VERY insecure about itself, basically even saying that all narrative games until then were always bad. Quite disrespectful looking back to those awkward days (see also: Ninja Theory).
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Aiddon said:
Definitely doesn't help that Cage is now under investigation by Parisian authorities for creating a hostile work environment full of racism and sexual harassment. Would definitely make his commentaries in Become Human ring hollow.

At this point there's really not a whole lot more that can be said about Cage. He's a horrible writer who doesn't understand the inherent strengths of film or gaming so he can't tell a story worth a damn. The only reason he gained a reputation was because he was doing story-focused games at a time when the industry was being very, VERY insecure about itself, basically even saying that all narrative games until then were always bad. Quite disrespectful looking back to those awkward days (see also: Ninja Theory).
Oh shit I hadn't heard any of that. When did this get reported?
Apperently David Cage and his studio filed a lawsuit against the Media outlet that reported on that negative coverage:

https://www.pcgamer.com/david-cages-quantic-dream-sues-french-media-outlets-over-negative-coverage/

Don't know if that proves he's guilty or not.
Given this age's politically volatile climate, I don't think a lawsuit says it one way or the other. Just an accusation is enough to destroy a career with no chance of recovering, so I can understand being pro-active in a case like that. However I agree that all things being equal it looks guilty to sue a media outlet to shutdown a story. Then again media outlets can be corrupt too, so who knows...
And that's what makes it complex to me.

Either he is suing them to cover up that he is guilty, or someone or someones in the media outlet that reported on this is lying because this someone has a personal grudge against Cage.
Jim Sterling actually talked to some employees at Quantic Dream and they said the accusations against Cage were overblown and that the person who accused them of wrongdoing was himself fired for stealing company documents.
 

darkrage6

New member
May 11, 2016
478
0
0
erttheking said:
ToastyMozart said:
It's more a coked-out ramble than a fully coherent plan, but yeah that was indeed an actual scene. It's what prompts Kara to break her restriction wall dealie because at that point following her orders to "not go anywhere" would violate Asimov's first or whatever.

The scene in question: https://youtu.be/BQ4Rx48HWoU?t=22m14s (As attended by a trio of much more entertaining characters than David could write.)
*Watches scene* Jesus fucking Christ. Yup, that's some pretty shallow writing right there. Some people say this game had a serious look at domestic abuse *shakes head* why I will never know.

Burnouts3s3 said:
I enjoyed this interactive movie from David Cage, but Yahtzee is absolutely correct in his assessment in Cage's writing. It's still really amateur and doesn't work all the way through. I felt that the Deviant Hunter, Connor and Clancy Brown's character, Hank, had the best story in the game and their dynamic worked like gangbusters. But Markus' story, where he's this Android Messiah who's going to be a Civil Rights leader, falls completely flat.

One of the things I liked was the 'fail states are not game overs' mechanic Cage brought over from Heavy Rain. So if a certain character dies, the game goes on without them which I thought was pretty smart.

erttheking said:
what, did the asshole buy a fucking robot daughter and then a robot maid? For an asshole who lives in a dilapidated house, he sure has a lot of money to throw around. And why the shit would he do that?
Todd, the abusive asshole, is a drug dealer who's wife left him and took his biological daughter. Todd bought the robot child to 'prove' that he can be a good parent only to show he can't an even to a robot he's still an abusive asshole. Again, it doesn't really 'work' as a narrative but it's sort of interesting.


Kara and Alice can get into a scenario which they are taken to the Recycling center(It's basically a concentration camp for robots. Yes, really). Kara can have a number of options but Alice will also be in danger as well. The purpose is to have Alice also be in danger. If she was human, she wouldn't be in the same situation as Kara and be safe.

Again, Yahtzee is right in that the story was much stronger when the player thought Alice was human but then we wouldn't have that ending.

Like I said, I enjoyed the game but it's flawed as all hell.
...That's pretty dumb writing there Cage, not gonna lie. Just when I think Jim Sterling is being a little unfair with the "emotions" thing, Cage goes and proves him right.

Apothecary2 said:
erttheking said:
Wait, did the abusive dad really fucking talk about how much he was going to enjoy beating his daughter? Is that an actual scene or Yahtzee being hyperbolic? Because if so, I seriously have to question how people can view that as a shocking look at domestic abuse.

Also

what, did the asshole buy a fucking robot daughter and then a robot maid? For an asshole who lives in a dilapidated house, he sure has a lot of money to throw around. And why the shit would he do that?

So I'll just throw something out there, anyone who's interested in a robot focused game where inequality and lost jobs caused by automation is actually a theme (granted not the only theme) play Subsurface Circular. It's by the guy who made Thomas Was Alone, and while it's a short game that's mainly about a robot cop having talks on the subway, it's a thousand times more interesting than anything David Cage ever made.

Plus it's only six bucks.
It is later shown that Kara only costs $800. Under 2038 inflation. The androids became very cheap. The question of why he would is also answered at the end of the game if you make the correct choices.
Judging by how the game apparently doesn't address the mass unemployment the androids cause, I'm guessing the low price tag is used less to world build a reality where automation has become stupidly cheap and the implications of it and more to create a world where a crack dealer in a run down house could afford a robot maid.
I thought it was well written myself. I've seen real life footage of abuse that looked quite similar.
 

darkrage6

New member
May 11, 2016
478
0
0
erttheking said:
ToastyMozart said:
It's more a coked-out ramble than a fully coherent plan, but yeah that was indeed an actual scene. It's what prompts Kara to break her restriction wall dealie because at that point following her orders to "not go anywhere" would violate Asimov's first or whatever.

The scene in question: https://youtu.be/BQ4Rx48HWoU?t=22m14s (As attended by a trio of much more entertaining characters than David could write.)
*Watches scene* Jesus fucking Christ. Yup, that's some pretty shallow writing right there. Some people say this game had a serious look at domestic abuse *shakes head* why I will never know.

Burnouts3s3 said:
I enjoyed this interactive movie from David Cage, but Yahtzee is absolutely correct in his assessment in Cage's writing. It's still really amateur and doesn't work all the way through. I felt that the Deviant Hunter, Connor and Clancy Brown's character, Hank, had the best story in the game and their dynamic worked like gangbusters. But Markus' story, where he's this Android Messiah who's going to be a Civil Rights leader, falls completely flat.

One of the things I liked was the 'fail states are not game overs' mechanic Cage brought over from Heavy Rain. So if a certain character dies, the game goes on without them which I thought was pretty smart.

erttheking said:
what, did the asshole buy a fucking robot daughter and then a robot maid? For an asshole who lives in a dilapidated house, he sure has a lot of money to throw around. And why the shit would he do that?
Todd, the abusive asshole, is a drug dealer who's wife left him and took his biological daughter. Todd bought the robot child to 'prove' that he can be a good parent only to show he can't an even to a robot he's still an abusive asshole. Again, it doesn't really 'work' as a narrative but it's sort of interesting.


Kara and Alice can get into a scenario which they are taken to the Recycling center(It's basically a concentration camp for robots. Yes, really). Kara can have a number of options but Alice will also be in danger as well. The purpose is to have Alice also be in danger. If she was human, she wouldn't be in the same situation as Kara and be safe.

Again, Yahtzee is right in that the story was much stronger when the player thought Alice was human but then we wouldn't have that ending.

Like I said, I enjoyed the game but it's flawed as all hell.
...That's pretty dumb writing there Cage, not gonna lie. Just when I think Jim Sterling is being a little unfair with the "emotions" thing, Cage goes and proves him right.

Apothecary2 said:
erttheking said:
Wait, did the abusive dad really fucking talk about how much he was going to enjoy beating his daughter? Is that an actual scene or Yahtzee being hyperbolic? Because if so, I seriously have to question how people can view that as a shocking look at domestic abuse.

Also

what, did the asshole buy a fucking robot daughter and then a robot maid? For an asshole who lives in a dilapidated house, he sure has a lot of money to throw around. And why the shit would he do that?

So I'll just throw something out there, anyone who's interested in a robot focused game where inequality and lost jobs caused by automation is actually a theme (granted not the only theme) play Subsurface Circular. It's by the guy who made Thomas Was Alone, and while it's a short game that's mainly about a robot cop having talks on the subway, it's a thousand times more interesting than anything David Cage ever made.

Plus it's only six bucks.
It is later shown that Kara only costs $800. Under 2038 inflation. The androids became very cheap. The question of why he would is also answered at the end of the game if you make the correct choices.
Judging by how the game apparently doesn't address the mass unemployment the androids cause, I'm guessing the low price tag is used less to world build a reality where automation has become stupidly cheap and the implications of it and more to create a world where a crack dealer in a run down house could afford a robot maid.
I thought it was well written myself. I've seen real life footage of abuse that looked quite similar.
Aiddon said:
Definitely doesn't help that Cage is now under investigation by Parisian authorities for creating a hostile work environment full of racism and sexual harassment. Would definitely make his commentaries in Become Human ring hollow.

At this point there's really not a whole lot more that can be said about Cage. He's a horrible writer who doesn't understand the inherent strengths of film or gaming so he can't tell a story worth a damn. The only reason he gained a reputation was because he was doing story-focused games at a time when the industry was being very, VERY insecure about itself, basically even saying that all narrative games until then were always bad. Quite disrespectful looking back to those awkward days (see also: Ninja Theory).
Not really, Jim Sterling talked to some employees who said the allegations were mostly nonsense.
 

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
4,380
289
88
Finland
darkrage6 said:
It would be better for us all, if you learned to post properly. Don't multipost for no reason other than impatience, and do try to quote only the relevant parts of other people's comments or "snip" them like I'm doing here.
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
10,845
1
3
Country
United States
darkrage6 said:
Funny you mention Jim Sterling, he wrote an article on how it's an utter farce. And he grew up in an abusive home.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/detroits-domestic-abuse-trailer-is-a-hackneyed-farce/