Zero Punctuation: Detroit: Become Human

Buccura

New member
Aug 13, 2009
813
0
0
Once again Yahtzee scoffs are a game that tries to say something about racism, seeming to ignore the fact that it is still a huge problem in our soceity.
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
17,485
1,702
118
Buccura said:
Once again Yahtzee scoffs are a game that tries to say something about racism, seeming to ignore the fact that it is still a huge problem in our soceity.
Good intentions don't necessarily make for good storytelling.
 

Buccura

New member
Aug 13, 2009
813
0
0
Johnny Novgorod said:
Buccura said:
Once again Yahtzee scoffs are a game that tries to say something about racism, seeming to ignore the fact that it is still a huge problem in our soceity.
Good intentions don't necessarily make for good storytelling.
I'm not trying to say the story is good. It's a David Cage game, after all.
 

CyanCat47_v1legacy

New member
Nov 26, 2014
495
0
0
While i agree with the criticisms to the writing, i never really understood the 'Interactive movies' criticism for any of his games except Beyond which is extremely linear and railroady. However Farenheit, Heavy Rain and Detroit largely follow an Adventure game structure, just with flashier aesthetics
 

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
4,375
288
88
Finland
Buccura said:
Once again Yahtzee scoffs are a game that tries to say something about racism, seeming to ignore the fact that it is still a huge problem in our soceity.
Tries is the big word here, right? Does anyone know what the game says about racism? I don't. Trying to say something while failing to say anything surely is something to scoff at.
 

Aiddon_v1legacy

New member
Nov 19, 2009
3,672
0
0
erttheking said:
darkrage6 said:
Funny you mention Jim Sterling, he wrote an article on how it's an utter farce. And he grew up in an abusive home.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/detroits-domestic-abuse-trailer-is-a-hackneyed-farce/
Yeah, Cage really doesn't get how a domestic abuse situation works. Or human interaction in general. I laughed my ass off when he claimed people should judge him by his work when those abuse allegations came out. Okay, Davey, judging by your work you're a sexist, racist manchild who shouldn't be allowed near any heavy machinery. At the end of the day the man is a joke
 

Buccura

New member
Aug 13, 2009
813
0
0
McElroy said:
Buccura said:
Once again Yahtzee scoffs are a game that tries to say something about racism, seeming to ignore the fact that it is still a huge problem in our soceity.
Tries is the big word here, right? Does anyone know what the game says about racism? I don't. Trying to say something while failing to say anything surely is something to scoff at.
It's not that he scoffed at how it failed to say something about racism, again I hardly expect David Cage to give something insightful. It's that he scoffed at the very idea of it, just like how he scoffed at the idea of Deus Ex Mankind Divided having a racism analogue before even going into whether or not it did it well.
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
4,953
6
13
Buccura said:
It's not that he scoffed at how it failed to say something about racism, again I hardly expect David Cage to give something insightful. It's that he scoffed at the very idea of it, just like how he scoffed at the idea of Deus Ex Mankind Divided having a racism analogue before even going into whether or not it did it well.
They're both poor attempts in any way you look at it, though Detroit far more hackneyed and shallow. They're both also cowardly with the theme as they refuse to ever acknowledge real-life racism and instead prefer to use a fantasised version where much more whities can be visibly empathised with, for it is nought but a window-dressing as a hope that their own story looks deeper. What questions were ever asked or explored? Where, who and how is this type of racism accepted and encouraged by parts of humanity? What various problems and psychologies are perpetuating this? What else other than "hey...racism bad, amirite?" Except with Deus Ex it still makes far more sense here.

I eagerly await the day there is more thought and respect put into "racism analogy" for this medium, but the examples you worked from are not flattering for this.
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
9,542
4,845
118
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gender
Male
Canadamus Prime said:
You really do get the impression that David Cage would much rather be making films.

EDIT: Besides hasn't the concept of humanity, AI, and androids been explored much better in other mediums? Things like Blade Runner, Bicentennial Man, AI: Artificial Intelligence, Star Trek: The Next Generation...
It's arguably been explored better in other Video Games. Off the top of my head:

-Deus Ex(the first one particularly but HR wasn't terrible either).
-Nier: Automata
-Final Fantasy IX

I'm sure there a ton more that I'm spacing at the moment.
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
Dalisclock said:
Canadamus Prime said:
You really do get the impression that David Cage would much rather be making films.

EDIT: Besides hasn't the concept of humanity, AI, and androids been explored much better in other mediums? Things like Blade Runner, Bicentennial Man, AI: Artificial Intelligence, Star Trek: The Next Generation...
It's arguably been explored better in other Video Games. Off the top of my head:

-Deus Ex(the first one particularly but HR wasn't terrible either).
-Nier: Automata
-Final Fantasy IX

I'm sure there a ton more that I'm spacing at the moment.
Wasn't it also a subplot in Fallout 4? I haven't played it, but I seem to recall picking that up somewhere.
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
9,542
4,845
118
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Gender
Male
Canadamus Prime said:
Dalisclock said:
Canadamus Prime said:
You really do get the impression that David Cage would much rather be making films.

EDIT: Besides hasn't the concept of humanity, AI, and androids been explored much better in other mediums? Things like Blade Runner, Bicentennial Man, AI: Artificial Intelligence, Star Trek: The Next Generation...
It's arguably been explored better in other Video Games. Off the top of my head:

-Deus Ex(the first one particularly but HR wasn't terrible either).
-Nier: Automata
-Final Fantasy IX

I'm sure there a ton more that I'm spacing at the moment.
Wasn't it also a subplot in Fallout 4? I haven't played it, but I seem to recall picking that up somewhere.
I've heard it is but I haven't played it yet either. Waiting for the complete/GOTW edition to drop to like $30 before buying it, because I'm tired of buying the base Bethesda game and then having to rebuy it again with all the expansions 3-4 years later. I decided "Fuck it, when the entire game is released, I'll buy it and judge it from there".

So I'm behind on RPG's right now that I haven't really noticed the wait either.
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
Dalisclock said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Dalisclock said:
Canadamus Prime said:
You really do get the impression that David Cage would much rather be making films.

EDIT: Besides hasn't the concept of humanity, AI, and androids been explored much better in other mediums? Things like Blade Runner, Bicentennial Man, AI: Artificial Intelligence, Star Trek: The Next Generation...
It's arguably been explored better in other Video Games. Off the top of my head:

-Deus Ex(the first one particularly but HR wasn't terrible either).
-Nier: Automata
-Final Fantasy IX

I'm sure there a ton more that I'm spacing at the moment.
Wasn't it also a subplot in Fallout 4? I haven't played it, but I seem to recall picking that up somewhere.
I've heard it is but I haven't played it yet either. Waiting for the complete/GOTW edition to drop to like $30 before buying it, because I'm tired of buying the base Bethesda game and then having to rebuy it again with all the expansions 3-4 years later. I decided "Fuck it, when the entire game is released, I'll buy it and judge it from there".

So I'm behind on RPG's right now that I haven't really noticed the wait either.
I have no interest in it since I found out that the over-simplified the dialogue system and thus removed most of the role-playing.
Apparently there's a mod that provides a more in-depth dialogue system, but I don't care enough.