Zero Punctuation: Devil May Cry 4

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
Series where at least some of the sequels were better than at least some of the earlier games in the series:

Civilization
Grand Theft Auto
Half-Life
Heroes of Might and Magic
Might and Magic
Team Fortress
Ultima
Wizardry

For extra fun, add your own. The rule about film sequels sucking more than the originals doesn't apply to computer games.

darkbladedancer

Mar 5, 2008
I had that bar experience happen to me once, except it wasn't with Strongbow, but rather with Miller Genuine Draft. Lets just say they're no longer my friend.

Also, hilarious review.

Jan 22, 2008
njsykora said:
I take exception to the His Dark Materials reference.

Fun stuff though, even though most of the issues have become 'hallmarks' of DMC since the first game.
Wellllllllll...Just because it played utterly to my tastes doesnt mean it was an example of good writing. The plot really zipped around, lost all proportion, and things got really, really weird in short otder. It simply wasnt as good as the other two, despite my personal philosophical feelings; I can still remain objective enough to see a less-good book.

What was that sequel icon with the big eye? I didnt recognize that one.

acm2000

Mar 5, 2008
so when can we expect to buy a ZP DVD, full of episodes, extras, art etc? id buy that shit, much better than just archiving the FLVs

razor

Mar 3, 2004
Speaking of putting a wasp next to a spider, here's another Japanese pastime that makes me say WTF?

http://www.japanesebugfights.com/

No Slipknot though. Or Gummi Bears.

Tumbler360

Nov 28, 2007
I liked the way it started by I feel like the review got a little long winded. You'd basically nailed the game and were done and I felt you kept it going for a bit too long. When you went into other sequels that destroyed franchises I felt like the skit was over and you should have cut it just before that.

Just my opinion, otherwise loved it.

LittleCalico

Feb 22, 2008
LOL hard at the Yaoi jab there.

~From a Yaoi Fan. ^_^

Thank you for reviewing DMC4 (Playing this next, after Gyakuten Saiban 4) ZP!

Crooked Knight

Nov 8, 2007
Yeah, combat (and, in DMC3, ability to be entertained by pure cheese) is pretty much the only reason to buy a Devil May Cry game. Good enough for me. (Although I didn't know about the dice game before, and that just sounds retarded)

Oh, and the gummy bear line was great.

Spacehouse

Mar 5, 2008
A well-ungrammered and enjoyable review as always yahtzee. I must say, for the last few reviews you have been reviewing the same games that i find in my roommate's repertoire. And like a good sheep, ive been criticizing his choice of games ever since i laid eyes on his ps3, xbox... oh yeah he has a wii too. Our other roommate is even worse, he's afraid of voicing his opinions when he is and i quote "talking smack about the game cuz the designers worked hard at makin it"

sometimes i wish people would stop being afraid of being cynic, or being afraid having high standards in fear that they would hurt people's feelings otherwise.

Dark101

Dec 26, 2007
aww man i remember that timed, jumpy, fixed camera, infinate enemy battles room!! argghh! memories =p

SacrificiaLamb

Nov 14, 2007
Razzle Bathbone said:
Series where at least some of the sequels were better than at least some of the earlier games in the series:

Civilization
Grand Theft Auto
Half-Life
Heroes of Might and Magic
Might and Magic
Team Fortress
Ultima
Wizardry

For extra fun, add your own. The rule about film sequels sucking more than the originals doesn't apply to computer games.
Half Life is debatable.

Ultima improved consistently from 1 to 7, and then went off the cliff with 8 and 9.

Wizardry for the most part improved with each successive iteration. Was 8 better than CotDS? Tough call.

HoMM. The series really went up and down quite a bit, made by different developers and so on. Not that clear cut.

I don't have enough experience with the others to comment, although I have played GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas, and I'm not sure there has been a clear improvement.

What about System Shock?

RabbitDynamite

Dec 31, 2007
The review itself was Yahtzee in pretty fine form after the "oh crap there is nothing to make fun of let's break out the racism card" of last week. It had praise for elements that deserved it, castigation of shitty design decisions, absurd imagery lovingly bought to life,and an apologia for anime. But what really tickled me was the fact that somebody thought it would be a great idea to have an ad for DMC4 directly after a review which compared it to an ocean of feces. Wonderful,just wonderful.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Sequels that are better? 7DAS > 5DAS.
Or is that too fan-boyish of me?

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"Am i the only person who caught the Advent Children reference at the very end, where he gives his email address?"

Most likely. Considering he hates japanese rpgs in general, why would he refer to a hideous movie based on one of them unless... unless he takes a poke at it just like he did this game ^^ They are actually very similar now that I think about it : / Compare the cutscene combat to the combat in AC...

Personally I'm currently playing DMC 3, never having played a DMC game before. The gameplay is okay, but the camera is making me nuts. I dislike the idea of a game being hard because I can't see when an enemy is about to bolt at me so I have to jump constantly to be safe ~~

Oh, and I'm off to buy gummi bears for my spider.